Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts agree to one year deal with Hakeem Nicks (merge)

lennymoore24

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah...apparently a lot of other folks envisioned Byrd here too. 

I'm not even sold that we're talking to him. Nothing remotely concrete. The same guys who were religiously reporting we were after Decker are reporting we're after Mack.

Yeah we were never going to sign Byrd.  That should have been obvious.

We are however signing Alex Mack.  It's going to happen.  It will take some time, but it's going to happen.

Was not hot on this, but for that price...wow. Mack or BDP and i am happy.

I think I would rather take my chances with Costa and Holmes over BDLP. BDLP just isn't a man blocking lineman IMO and he's not very strong. He's OK for a zone blocking team but I don't think he fits for us.

I'm pretty sure we went into last season with only about 4 million. With only having a few draft picks and no 1st rder. we don't need very much.

Maybe we did. How'd that work out for us though when filling in injuries with real talent?

I've never thrown the baby out with Polian's bathwater. His number was $5-10 Million and that's where I have to assume seasoned GMs like to be.

Maybe we did. How'd that work out for us though when filling in injuries with real talent?

I've never thrown the baby out with Polian's bathwater. His number was $5-10 Million and that's where I have to assume seasoned GMs like to be.

That's true, but there really isn't very good talent you're going to be able to get when the season rolls around anyway. If we had any chance at getting Mack(and I'm not sure we actually do) I would be more than alright getting down to bare bones cap room to do it.

I think I would rather take my chances with Costa and Holmes over BDLP. BDLP just isn't a man blocking lineman IMO and he's not very strong. He's OK for a zone blocking team but I don't think he fits for us.

Looking at college tape I would say the same about Holmes though. I would have prefered EDS but he is a Buc now.

That's true, but there really isn't very good talent you're going to be able to get when the season rolls around anyway.

Ehhhh that's a different discussion. But it would seem wise to hold that $$$ in reserve just in case. And last season kind of bore that out for us.

I've said my piece on Mack. Cleveland would be stupid to let him get away. And I don't think Farmer is stupid enough to let him get away for what we could pay him. I'd think if anyone can get him....it's prolly only Oakland.

But.....I reckon we'll see. ;)

Looking at college tape I would say the same about Holmes though. I would have prefered EDS but he is a Buc now.

That's exactly what I said about Holmes and I said it as soon as we drafted him last yr.. Didn't like it then and I think is the reason why they didn't try him at center last season. Maybe he's gotten stronger and they think he can handle it now but as far as paying to bring in BDLP, I just think were probably just as well off with Costa and Holmes.

Yesterday people were ready to burn Grigson on the stake for the Costa signing and today he's the greatest GM to ever work in the NFL. If people would just stop over reacting to everything emotions wouldn't jump from one extreme to the other.

That is because a large percentage of people don’t seem to understand the concept of patience anymore. It’s all about what they want right now. And if that doesn’t happen, it’s “cut this person or fire that person! We didn’t win the Super Bowl so get rid of the whole team and start over because new people have to be better.”  Instant gratification and the dilution that they deserve what they want is the norm nowadays. Or Else……..  

Wow! Great video!

Nicks is the kind of player that makes other players look silly.

He was absolutely torching his division and the Texans, but only two plays shown against the colts!

Hopefully during his one year deal he'll prove that he can be that player again as opposed to the player he was last year. 

Hmmm...he doesn't seem to care if he's covered or not...even with a DB draped all over him. His hands are a huge upgrade over DHB.

He hasn't been that guy in two years.

Beyond just injuries - Dude had no heart.  Maybe a change of scenery will do him well.  

I like the Steve Smith to Baltimore signing. I'm really looking forward to the Baltimore and Carolina game this season.

Obviously , Nicks is the better of the two at this point in their careers. Still, good pick ups for both teams. Smith will be more like Mason than Boldin in Baltimore, but it will still be an upgrade over last year. Colts made pretty prudent moves in free agency. I have no problem with any of them.

Beyond just injuries - Dude had no heart. Maybe a change of scenery will do him well.

Yeah, that has been what I've seen with him too. Hope you are right about the change in scenery.

As for the video, I see some really clean routes, strong hands, and an excellent sense of how and when to use a little juke... but I'm also seeing a lot of what could be called as offensive PA. He pushes off a ton, and it isn't very well disguised.

Either way, great job by Grigson. This is a smart risk, IMO.

As much as I didn't see the need for this deal, if the 1 yr. at 3.5 mil. is accurate, I can't throw a fit about that. He's a good receiver if he can stay healthy and for that little bit of money, it's a good sign.

What are you gonna do when they draft wr too?

Beyond just injuries - Dude had no heart. Maybe a change of scenery will do him well.

That whole Giants team had no heart last season. One of the most disappointing teams last year along with the Texans in my opinion. If Nicks can stay healthy he should be rejuvenated playing in Indy.

Maybe not but I'm sure we will offer Mack a deal that is so gruesome that the Browns will go running to the hills.

It's obvious our FO knows how to structure a deal so I expect the first seasons cap number to be like $13million with the second year being like $6million and so forth.

I would have absolutely no problem with that.

As long as it fits so that the Colts are not trapped in Salary Cap Hell,  then I'm fine.   But the danger is Mack finally suffers a bad injury....   then, we're up poo-poo creek without a paddle!   (If you know what I mean, and I think you do!?!)

That whole Giants team had no heart last season. One of the most disappointing teams last year along with the Texans in my opinion. If Nicks can stay healthy he should be rejuvenated playing in Indy.

I expect Luck to take a HUGE leap this year. His completion percentage will most like hover around 70% modestly.

I know I don't speak for every fan here, In my humble opinion, I love this decision. While have some major skepticism, as we all should, New York has little forgiveness, Its all business around there. Perform,adapt quickly or die. We have a great organization that looks past stats alone. We evaluate everyone for more then just whats on the stat sheet. We allow players to develop and give them an ample opportunity to do so. Our organization has out rightly showed its more then just business here. We give every deserving body a chance. Between us and San Fran, its tough to find a better home. Its more then just money at these places. Whether giving a worthy shot at Okoye, Adongo or Lattimore. More teams look past there usefulness while these great organizations have given them a blessing well deserved.  Now with Nicks. He's only 26, and in just his 2nd and 3rd year . He showed just as much promise as Dez Bryant has. Identical catches, a few more TD's, and a hundred or so less yards. From my recollection, the last off season, there was rumors of a disgruntled Nicks in NY and whether or not he had come to loathe them and may even be playing at a lesser level for a trade or release. I'm pretty confident that these even made it into NFL.com reports. So there's definitely something behind it. This will be the best shot he could ever land for his career and a resurgence as a possible 10+ receiver. He is working under one the greatest in Wayne, plus has TY to help spread the defenses. So hopefully this will show him what a team player should be.  At the very least, a healthy Nicks will strengthen everyone in the WR core to bring their A game. With a few seasons now in this new regime, I don't see any weakness's in our O to come. With Allen and Wayne back, and TY getting all the time they deserve. When the Rogers and Nicks, and DHB(if he cares more then just money and wants to make a name for himself), they rejuvenate when given their time to step up.

Wow! Great video!

Nicks is the kind of player that makes other players look silly.

He was absolutely torching his division and the Texans, but only two plays shown against the colts!

It is a great video!

I will admit that a few short months ago i was a Nicks hater. When I realized a month or so ago that there was a chance he could come into the organization I began to do some homework on him. 

The good news is he excels in areas of the field that Luck has the most success throwing to.

The so-so news is that if he returns to form he has great prediction of where the defense is and how to adjust QUICKLY.

From watching that video it is obvious that he has a bag of tricks that he has perfected. I see a lot of "pumping the breaks" at the point the ball is caught creating space for YACs. I also see a lot of running the defender past the play just enough for a quick little turn around catch in which he then quickly tries to spin or change direction.

I expect the tricks above to be his go-to weapons here in Indianapolis while TY takes the lid off of his down field defenders.

If he catches the ball I fully expect to see some great attempts to prolong the play. That coupled with Bradshaw's ability to do the same... defenders are going to get frustrated quickly and Luck can use that to his advantage.

Well, think about that for a second.  The only way to become a "proven" player is you know, to play.  He (Grigson) has two proven 1000 yard receivers on the team so there is a chance there for other guys to get playing time to become "proven" in a very good situation.  Adding Nicks would mean he doesn't not believe the players he has picked are capable of that or that the coaches he has picked are capable of developing them.  I just wonder which it is.

It`s like you didn`t watch Brazill, Rogers and Whalen. Do you Understand we are being gased up to be a REAL SB contender? THIS YEAR!!!!

It`s like you didn`t watch Brazill, Rogers and Whalen. Do you Understand we are being gased up to be a REAL SB contender? THIS YEAR!!!!

I guarantee some people are not noticing the "win now" vibes going on in the organization. This is why we have to endure some very bad posts for the time being.

Sure the Broncos and the Patriots are making some good moves right now but, they are doing so because the window is closing. We are making HUGE moves right now because we know that our window is just now opening up. We CAN contend for the title next year and when the Broncos and Patriots tap out... we will be at the top of the AFC... alone.

Sorry,  family business has kept me from chiming in....   and apologies if I'm plowing over familiar ground, I have not read every post...

But, assuming the report that Nicks turned down Carolina's offer of $4.5 Mill is accurate, I was very pleased to see that he accepted our offer of $3.5 Mill.

But what that immediately told me, was that we offered makeable incentives, and Carolina didn't.    He maxed out at $4.5 with them,  but we've offered him $2 million more in incentives that he thinks he can reach.    I'm sure it's like Bradshaw's deal,  if you play X-number of games, you get bonuses.    And two mill more in bonuses, bring Hakeem's deal to $5.5 mill.    That's a fair deal for a top WR.     Win-win for a player who is trying to re-establish his worth and market, and win for the Colts who have limited cap space and still a number of other players on our shopping list.

This is a good day for Colts nation!    A very good day!         :thmup:

I guarantee some people are not noticing the "win now" vibes going on in the organization. This is why we have to endure some very bad posts for the time being.

Sure the Broncos and the Patriots are making some good moves right now but, they are doing so because the window is closing. We are making HUGE moves right now because we know that our window is just now opening up. We CAN contend for the title next year and when the Broncos and Patriots tap out... we will be at the top of the AFC... alone.

As it stands, once Manning, Brady are out. Rogers will have a few years of the lonely mountaing all to himself most likely, well deserved of course. After that, it'll be more then just great qb's that'll make superbowl teams(Luck being a exception) The league is ever evolving season by season.  Seatle, San Fran, Green Bay, and more then likely Carolina will have a great run for the next 6-8 or so years ( Carolina on the lower end, but defenses can win championships)

Wilson and Kap will the best quarterbacks that we can foresee of so far for the next of football that are present in the league. There doesnt look to be any dynasty building quarterbacks in college right now. Obviously all of that is subject to change in any given year. But Luck will more likely then not be far ahead of his class for years/decade to come.

I believe Wilson has the intangibles to stick it out for his given time (given Seattle can keep this player friendly atmosphere , where players will take less to come and enjoy there time winning in a positive atmosphere ) . Dont get me wrong, everyone still has the pressure to excel at their jon, but they aren't pressured to by their peers, more encouraged. they're accepted for who are and what they are known to be capable of, their locker room is vastly different then all NFL teams. 

Kap on the other hand, unless his defensive awareness outpassses his athletic ability. Will most likely not go past 6-8 years. Playing with San Fran greatly improves this, as they are always building for the future and "ready for the now". They will be contenders for the next decade or so. Something has to drastically go wrong for a few years for them to downfall.