Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts fans outside Indy

DoubleE Colt

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So outside of Indianapolis being a connection why are you a fan of the Colts? Even more curious regarding fans outside of the States like myself. Apologies if there's been a thread already regarding this, feel free to direct me to it.

I live in TX but am a colts fan because I was born in Indianapolis. also a Hoosier fan in basketball, and a Pacers fan. Chicago Blackhawks fan (because indiana does not have a NHL team) and a Reds fan in baseball for the same reason in hockey, there is no MLB team in Indiana just the Indianapolis Indians which is a minor league team. 

I've been a Colts fan since 1957!!  I was born and raised in South Dakota, and in my small home town we could only get 1 tv station.  That station carried the Bears, and I got so tired of hearing Red Grange brag about the Bears I was going crazy.  Then I saw this young qb, John Unitas, who I thought was incredible even then.  I loved the uni colors, the uni look, and of course the 'shoe'.  Never got hooked on a city, but totally hooked on the Colts....  Damn, I'm almost to middle age!!

Being from Toledo, I am in the midst of terrible (Cincinnati), terribler (Cleveland), and (terriblest) Detroit. Only thing I liked about Detroit when I was a kid was Herman Moore and of course Barry...but I loved watching Marshall run and then the whole Peyton Manning thing happened and I was glued to Indy.

I grew up on the west coast, but my father is a Hoosier so I am a Colts fan by birth. I live in San Diego and travel to Los Angeles weekly.

I enjoy watching games in San DIego more becuase there is a Colts bar and it is always fun watching a game with other fans.

BTM

I'm from Compton California. I played pop-warner football for the Carson Colts and ever since, I pledged allegiance to the horseshoe.

Carson Colts!

I've liked them since I was little. Liked the colors first and Edge was actually my favorite along with Freeney.

Grew up in central Indiana until I moved to Kentucky following work. Being 34 it is the only football team I've followed. My dad's a big Bears fan because Indy didn't have a team but Indy was there exactly the same time I started playing pee wee football so it was just natural.

I am in Aberdeenshire, Scotland and have been following the colts since the NFL was first shown in the UK (around 1982/83 IIRC).  Picked the colts as was always attracted to the underdog and the Colts at that time were rotten.

Thankfully things have improved since then and the organisation is class.

Created this thread a year or so ago, but it's so deep in the depths you'd get a warning for posting in it haha. My reason is as a kid my parents bought a 65 mustang coupe and my dream was to paint it blue with white racing stripes like this car: http://photo.netcarshow.com/Ford-Mustang_Shelby_GT350_1965_photo_01.jpg color combo look familiar? When I grew up a little n started getting into football saw the uni's n liked em. Didn't even know who Manning was at the time haha.

My dad won 3 trips for highest percentage increase of sales for Valvoline Oil through his work to go to the Indy 500 in 1991/1993 and 1995. He always bought me home heaps of colts clothing and bits and pieces.

New Zealand also got pay tv in 1995 with ESPN being one of the channels. So i started watching the NFL then and naturally following the colts. Fell in love with the sport instantly and now its an obsession.

Luckily i met several other fanatics at a new job and we have been watching and playing fantasy for over ten years now.

Where in NZ are you?  I'm in Welly.

I've been following the Colts myself since 2000 thanks to a Madden tournament I was in and the Colts were my team.

My daughters name is Peyton :-)

South America, i simply started watching the NFL like 6 years ago, i change my favorite team a lot, i was only a rookie lol, until i started learning about the great QB of the moment and of course i meet Peyton, then i started to watch the Colts more, but the turning point was with Peyton's injury, i wanted the Colts to shut up all the people saying that the Colts will fail without Peyton, so i watched most game and they lost most of them, but because i suffer with the team in the end i realize that the Colts was definitely my team.

Where in NZ are you?  I'm in Welly.

I've been following the Colts myself since 2000 thanks to a Madden tournament I was in and the Colts were my team.

My daughters name is Peyton :-)

Christchurch. Peyton is also going to be my daughters name but we are not sure of the sex yet. Still trying to convince the wife to call baby reggie if its a boy

I live in Virginia and am a huge Colts fan.

My uncle was a huge Baltimore Colts fan back in the 50s winning with The Greatest Game Ever Played with Johnny U throwing to Raymond Berry, and Alan Ameche diving across the goal line.

He got me started into watching it around 1998-1999 with Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, and Edge. I remember certain moments early on but I always remember the 2004 season where Peyton just kept throwing TD after TD. 

My uncle showed me a lot of historical games, which back when I was 11 or 12, I was like, I could care less. Now, I appreciate the history more of the Colts and all the legends who have worn the horseshoe on their helmet.

As a 6th Grader, I watched the Ice Bowl game sitting in front of a black and white TV in our Army quarters at Fort Bragg, NC.  That hooked me on football.  Next season I watched Colts-Rams...that hooked me on Johnny Unitas and the Colts.  Been an unhealthy addiction, since.  As most fans of most teams it's hard to explain what draws one to a specific team.

My Dad loved the Baltimore Colts and Johnny Unitas (The original Johnny Football). I grew up loving the legacy of Johnny U and the Colts. When Peyton Manning played for UT Vols (my state's major University), it was a very big deal for us in TN, since his dad was such a college football hero in these parts. Manning's playing for the Colts was a dream come true to me and it also meant much more Tv coverage of my Colts than had ever been down here in TN. Finally I could watch the Colts instead of just keeping up with scores via the newspaper. So, Manning really brought the Colts to life for me, and I will always be a great fan of Manning for that.

I am in Aberdeenshire, Scotland and have been following the colts since the NFL was first shown in the UK (around 1982/83 IIRC).  Picked the colts as was always attracted to the underdog and the Colts at that time were rotten.

Thankfully things have improved since then and the organisation is class.

Another Brit here (about an hour west of London) with a similar perspective to you.  Started watching the game when it was first shown regularly here in the UK, decided after the first season or two I had to pick a team of my own and decided that the 0-8-1 Colts were a team that would obviously improve rather than just jumping on the Cowboys/Redskins/Dolphins/49ers/Raiders bandwagon that most UK fans were on at the time.  They didn't show much of the Colts then so if I wanted to keep up to date with the games I had to listen to the American Armed Forces radio network when the reception was behaving to hear the not quite glorious exploits of Pagel, Dickey & MacMillan.

So outside of Indianapolis being a connection why are you a fan of the Colts? Even more curious regarding fans outside of the States like myself. Apologies if there's been a thread already regarding this, feel free to direct me to it.

I have been a colts fan since living in Maryland growing up. I catch hell from my friends who which we are still oriole fans but oh well, I love the colts and always will. I currently live in Bedford Va and watch every game on the nfl package and have been for ten years or more. I am one who cannot switch teams after watching Johnny U growing up and all the great teams of the past.I remember al the losing teams also wow>>>. Go colts ,want to get to the Luke one day have been to the dome

From Bryan, Ohio in Northwest Ohio. I became a Baltimore Colts fan in 1962. My dad raised race horses and I was in the in need of a team, as my other friends had football team (such as Browns, Lions, and Packers) so I naturally picked the Colts. I knew nothing about them at the time and was so tickled as their history began to unfold in front of me. My first memorable game was the 1965 Matte, playoff game, and the game in I believe 1966, John Unitas, playing in the mud at Baltimore went on a run in a critical drive and I believe was tackled by Willie Davis or Dave Robinson, fumbled the ball, Green Bay recovered, went on to the championship and history took over from there.

I started rooting for Colts as a kid when they were in Baltimore as I grew up there.  When they moved to Indy, there was no reason to stop.  Same team, same uniform, same everything.  Much different than other teams that have switched cities and name/uniform/... (e.g. Cleveland Browns to Baltimore Ravens).  Most people here don't like the Colts, but I'm glad to see above that there are others like me (and not just my brother).

Dad was a diehard Colts fan in Johnny U era and his entire life. I myself have been a Colts fan since Bert Jones era. This stretches nearly the entire Colts existence between me and my father. It's the connecting link between me and my Dad even with his passing. I'm not shallow enough to make sports out to be more important than they are but this team has been a huge part of my memories of Dad and my life. My dad used to drive 100 miles every weekend to Indiana to watch the team before they got Manning and were on TV here in Illinois every week and before the advent of Sunday Ticket and before I could afford season tickets . Before that we had a spot in town where you could actually get the Baltimore radio feed on the car radio every week.I often went with him, that kind of dedication is hard not to latch onto for a kid.

I started rooting for Colts as a kid when they were in Baltimore as I grew up there.  When they moved to Indy, there was no reason to stop.  Same team, same uniform, same everything.  Much different than other teams that have switched cities and name/uniform/... (e.g. Cleveland Browns to Baltimore Ravens).  Most people here don't like the Colts, but I'm glad to see above that there are others like me (and not just my brother).

Different city, not same.