Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts fans outside Indy

DoubleE Colt

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was 19... walked in a sports bar and they had the superbowl there, saints-colts, i just randomly started cheering for the colts with my friends rooting for the saints, then when colts got #1 pick i became interested in the franchise as a whole (before i just watched random teams) and i like the luck guy, so yea, followed the 2012 colt season and really liked what i saw and its my team now :D

I grew up in Connecticut, but some time back in the 70's my family had gone on vacation in Maryland. We went to some place where there was a Colts player making a promotional appearance. He signed autographs and was letting all the kids run out for a pass.

I was about 6. I went out for a pass and was very determined to impress this guy. He threw a perfect ball, hit me in the numbers, and then..... I dropped it! I think I even started crying. Oh well, I got the autograph too but had no idea who he was because his signature was completely illegible.

Anyway, from that point on the Colts where my team.

When Johnny Unitas took over the QB job I was an instant Colts fanatic growing up in a Chicago area suburb. I watched the 1958 "Greatest Game Ever Played" on a black and white Zenith TV. The football cards I threw away back then like everyone else did would have nice to have today. There have been some lean years but the Colts have always been the only team and nothing will change. The only dark spot is the incognito move out of Baltimore in the dark of night. I am told the fans in Baltimore today never even use the word "Indianapolis"! Living here in Houston when the Oilers moved out it was like yanking the soul out of this town. This town truly loved their Oilers.

Many great memories and many hopes for a great future for our Colts.

I live in North Carolina and have been a Colts fan since 1966, I was 6 years old and my father kept telling me about Johnny Unitas and that he was the best QB in the game, this started my fascination with the QB position and most of all, my fascination with Johnny Unitas and the Colts. I have been hooked on the Colts ever since.

Different city, not same.

Its the same franchise whether they play in Indy, Baltimore, or Moscow. Teams and their logos and history are owned by private individuals. Why people get upset about this fact I will never know. The city that particular team , which is a business, resides in currently isn't owed anything . Irsay didn't owe Baltimore anything, it's records made in the city, colors, uni's, he owns all that like all the other owners. Same with Modell when he left Cleveland. Getting overly emotionally attached to a sports team and then feeling like that team owes you something when they decide to move is silly. They are just like any other corporation that owns its logo, records, etc.To use an analogy, I suppose it's like watching the girl you were in love with marry your best friend , it's hard to deal with but it's life .

Its the same franchise whether they play in Indy, Baltimore, or Moscow. Teams and their logos and history are owned by private individuals. Why people get upset about this fact I will never know. The city that particular team , which is a business, resides in currently isn't owed anything .

I realize it's technically the same franchise, but just responding comment about no reason to stop , same team, same uniform , same everything. It's not the same because it's not the same city with the same experiences. I can assure you most of these Marylanders that still follow the Colts are in the minority. Most seem to hail from southern Maryland, the DC Beltway, or Virginia, which is traditional Redskin country. They were never hard core Baltimore people or they would have heeded Unitas and followed him to the Ravens when we got a team in 1996. I understand the Europeans and generic Colt fans outside the greater Baltimore area from following the Colts to Indy, because if you just like the uniforms and logos, it doesn't matter what city they are in. I can understand newer fans of Indy that follow Peyton , and never knew the Colts in Baltimore, but I will never understand a Marylander not supporting his home state and team. Trust me, I would feel the same way if I were a Hoosier.

I realize it's technically the same franchise, but just responding comment about no reason to stop , same team, same uniform , same everything. It's not the same because it's not the same city with the same experiences. I can assure you most of these Marylanders that still follow the Colts are in the minority. Most seem to hail from southern Maryland, the DC Beltway, or Virginia, which is traditional Redskin country. They were never hard core Baltimore people or they would have heeded Unitas and followed him to the Ravens when we got a team in 1996. I understand the Europeans and generic Colt fans outside the greater Baltimore area from following the Colts to Indy, because if you just like the uniforms and logos, it doesn't matter what city they are in. I can understand newer fans of Indy that follow Peyton , and never knew the Colts in Baltimore, but I will never understand a Marylander not supporting his home state and team. Trust me, I would feel the same way if I were a Hoosier.

Dont get me wrong Im not trying to be insensitive just saying that really memories are all any particular sports team gives us. Fans in Cleveland are just as mad as the Baltimore fans are . I know a lot of LA fans aren't happy about the St. Louis Rams . Still the records show The Baltimore Colts won those titles and the city is recognized as the title winning town . Baltimore has a very impressive 6 NFL titles . As for supporting the local NFL team I don't really feel like any team deserves your support just because they play close to you or are in the same city or state. I live in the middle of Bears country, yet my Dad was a Colts fan anyway. I can't stand the Bears.

Same to me. I know that Baltimore and Maryland natives probably feel differently. But the owner picked up and moved the franchise. It was his to move. It may be a different location, but the franchise is the same and the legacy belongs to the colts as much as it does to Baltimore.

It's fine if it's the same to you, and those who follow the Colts. To most of us in the mid-Atlantic, how could it be the same for us ? Everything changed when you think about it. I'm fine with the shared legacy, and I don't mind people in Indy interested in Colts history in Baltimore. Actually, I applaud it. We just had to move onto the Ravens. If I wanted to follow the Colts post 84, I would probably have to be a Cardinals, Pacers , or IU fan. As it is , I am a Ravens , Orioles, and Terps fan. These teams were the teams I grew up with except change out the Ravens for the Colts. It's nothing against Indy, or it's fans , you guys are great and have been great Colt fans, but I would feel the same way had the Colts moved to Phoenix, Nashville, or LA. How would my experiences as a fan living in Baltimore or Maryland mesh with a city I had no experience with in the sports world. Similar logos and uniforms just don't do it for me, it's about shared exoeriences as a fan. I know some people fell differently, but it's just never the same. The Browns are still the Browns, but they haven't even been the same since their move.

Dont get me wrong Im not trying to be insensitive just saying that really memories are all any particular sports team gives us. Fans in Cleveland are just as mad as the Baltimore fans are . I know a lot of LA fans aren't happy about the St. Louis Rams . Still the records show The Baltimore Colts won those titles and the city is recognized as the title winning town . Baltimore has a very impressive 6 NFL titles . As for supporting the local NFL team I don't really feel like any team deserves your support just because they play close to you or are in the same city or state. I live in the middle of Bears country, yet my Dad was a Colts fan anyway. I can't stand the Bears.

I know their are fans that follow teams for different reasons like a Dad getting you interested in a particular team. There is no right or wrong answer and always exceptions , but I'm just pointing out the majority opinion in the mid Atlantic. I guess if you move around in a military family , or something , it could also be different.

Look , like all of you here , half of me me will always be a Colts fan. The other half is a Ravens fan. For all those that moved onto Indy, it's all good, but I don't fully understand it from Maryland people. Younger fans, Hoosiers from

Indiana, I totally get, as it's your hometown team . Anyway, there is a lot to like about the Colts.

So outside of Indianapolis being a connection why are you a fan of the Colts? Even more curious regarding fans outside of the States like myself. Apologies if there's been a thread already regarding this, feel free to direct me to it.

Colts were my dad's favorite since he was a kid.. I grew up rooting for them through some crappy years. Always been my favorite. We got the Jaguars but I didn't switch because I already had a favorite team. I do root for the Jaguars though.. against about 27 other teams or so

I'm in South Bend which is a mixture of Bears fans and Colts fans.

I have 3 reasons why I'm a Colts fan.

1. I was an Iowa Hawkeye fan first and back in the Tony Dungy/Jim Caldwell era there was a lot of former Hawkeye's on the Colts.  Bob Sanders and Dallas Clark to name a few.  But they also gave a few players from Iowa who where borderline players a shot.

Jim Caldwell is actually a Iowa alum.

So I always favored the Colts even when I wasn't much of an NFL fan.  However when the entire team changed and we entered the Andrew Luck era I thought it would be a good time to start watching as most of the guys would be new and wouldn't have a long history with the Colts.  

Also I was quite frankly amazed at the luck of the Colts to go from Manning to Luck.  

2. The Colts are the team in my home state. (I was born in Iowa and my mom is from there, so I was raised to watch the Hawkeyes.  But I grew up in Indiana ever since I was 2.)  I have always liked Indianapolis more then I liked Chicago.  I could never live in Chicago, but I could live in Indianapolis.  

3. This is the most shallow reason but it's a reason none the less.  Blue is my favorite color, always has been.  So it is convenient for me that the team that I like for the other two reason also sports my favorite color.

• 1 month later...

Been a Pro Football fan since 1967....   I was 10.

Been a Colts fan since 2012 -- when the Colts drafted some promising QB from Stanford, my favorite school.

Turns out,  I like the Colts for more than just Andrew Luck.

I like the nice people of the city and state.

I like the owner....   well, except for that ridiculous few days of courting DHB last spring!

I really like the GM, who I think is busting is *** to try and make the Colts as good as they can be.

I really like the HC,  who I think is getting as much out of a pretty good, but not yet great roster,  as he can.   I like coaches who are considered a players coach.     The game is incredibly hard....  it's a little easier when you think the HC has your back.

I like that the franchise tries to acquire players who even if they're not all that talented,  they play hard and smart.   Can't ask for more than that.

I like being on this website with some very nice and very knowledgeable fans.

So, for me,  being a Colts fan is one of the easier and better things that I do.....     :thmup:

My dad is a Pats fan and one year when I was younger the Colts and Pats were playing on TV, I believe it was one of Peytons first few seasons with the team but it could have been before his time too I don't remember. Anyways, I was cheering against my dads team and the Colts won. Later that same season I saw the Colts play the Vikings on TV close around the holidays, I from South Dakota so the Viks are always on TV and I hated the Vikqueens, and they won again and ever since they were my team. My dad and both my younger brothers are Pats fans so it gets pretty heated when they play each other. I wish I could remember what year it was but I was young, late 90's early 2000's, and it was defiantly before the Colts Pats rivalry with Brady begin.        

I'm from Vegas born and raised. My father's a cowboy fan so no way was I going that route. Truthfully, I was originally a raider fan, but I was just a little kid who liked the name and their crazy fans. But then I started watching this team called the colts. I loved the classic blue and white uniforms. I specifically remember watching one highlight of Peyton throwing a perfect spiral, under pressure, for a touchdown. Few things I have ever thought were more beautiful.

Well my Colts loyalty is kind of a funny story. My father is a Cowboys fan, like the rest of his family, but no way was I gonna be a cowboy fan. I just distinctly remember this shot of Peyton throwing the ball, and ever since then I've fallen in love with the classic blue and white.

Ok I have no memory of this post. I just made another detailing my story. Forgive me, my memory's been a little weird lately.

Became a Colts fan in 1963. From Northwest Ohio, I was 8 years old. I was on the school bus on my way home and all my buddies at the time had favorite teams. They liked teams such as the browns, Lions, and Packers. I needed a team to fit in so I needed to find one. My father raised horses, so as I was listening to the radio on the bus one day the name Colts came up, so I made the connection and became a Colts fan. I knew nothing about them so of course I proceeded to find out. I was over joyed to read about guys like John Unitas and Raymond Berry, and the greatest game ever played "1958 Championship. I was the only Colts fan, it seemed in my school or even in my county, I became a tight, loyal fan to them I guess because my parents were divorced and I needed someone or something to believe in and the Colts fit that mode. I have been loyal to them ever since. Was ticked when the moved from Baltimore but happy that it now allowed me to see them by attending games in Indy, I live about 3 hours away in Northwest Ohio. Then in 1994 I became a season ticket holder. The first game I ever saw the Colts live was 1968 when they played Detroit in Detroit and Colts won with Earl Morrall

Became a Colts fan in 1999 (and NFL fan) when my mom started dating a guy who was obsessed with NFL. From London, Ontario Canada. I picked the Colts because of their colour, I was only 13, and knew nothing about football. Went to my first game last year when Indy travelled to Detroit. That was intense lol. Went to Indy for the week 17 game against Jacksonville this past season too. Would have went to the home playoff game, but they were too close together for that big of a trip. My girlfriend actually bought me the tickets to both games for Christmas both years, she's a keeper. She isn't much of a football fan, and doesn't like my idea of going to a Colts game at a new stadium every year:(