Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bjeorn Werner

Flash7

I know that it's too early to fully evaluate him. The usual amount of time is 3 years, so they say.

What I would like to do is ask how you feel he compared to other rookie OLBs or DEs that were drafted this past year. Were there any that made immediate impact or like Werner, they have to develop and grow into their position.

If there were others that contributed right away (and I am not sure if there was), would that be an early indicator for how good of a draft decision this was?

You can definitely evaluate him just on his play for the season.  He was about as good as expected.  Sometimes he looked lost, sometimes he looked effective.

I don't like playing the "we could have had..." game.  Who would you compare him with that was drafted after him?  Jones?

It takes at least a year for OLB's and 3-4 DE's to make an impact. Justin Houston or Watt didn't do much their rookie year but both had break out second years. Im expecting the same from Werner not 20 sacks like Watt but i think he could get 10-12 sacks next year. Werner has great instincts always bats the ball down for deflections he's gonna be a really good player.

He made some splash plays but was generally invisible. Next year I think he'll make some strides but be just a shade above average. Third year should be his breakout year by my estimations. I think he could turn into a Justin Houston type player in the future with some quality coaching and if his work ethic stays strong.

Really it was not a good year for rookie edge rushers. According to PFF, the best rookie edge rusher was Dion Jordan and he finished 41st overall.

He made some splash plays but was generally invisible. Next year I think he'll make some strides but be just a shade above average. Third year should be his breakout year by my estimations. I think he could turn into a Justin Houston type player in the future with some quality coaching and if his work ethic stays strong.

Really it was not a good year for rookie edge rushers. According to PFF, the best rookie edge rusher was Dion Jordan and he finished 41st overall.

How did Werner stack up against other rookie edge rushers?

How did Werner stack up against other rookie edge rushers?

Werner: 35th among 34 OLBers (out of 42)

Mingo: 38th among 34 OLBers

Jarvis Jones: 30th among 34 OLBers

Ziggy Ansash: 30th among 43 DEs (out of 52)

Dion Jordan: 28th among 43 DEs

They were all pretty underwhelming.

Werner: 35th among 34 OLBers (out of 42)

Mingo: 38th among 34 OLBers

Jarvis Jones: 30th among 34 OLBers

Ziggy Ansash: 30th among 43 DEs (out of 52)

Dion Jordan: 28th among 43 DEs

They were all pretty underwhelming.

I can believe this ranking. He really didn't do anything to warrant a first round pick, but there weren't any breakout players at that point. I do like to look back and say ''what if''. The players taken after him that would not have been bad were Corderelle Patterson WR (if he keeps his nose clean), Giovani Bernard RB (good rookie RB-but we have decent RBs), Eddie Lacy (definitely a good pick) and we could have had Geno Smith instead, too (jk).

I can believe this ranking. He really didn't do anything to warrant a first round pick, but there weren't any breakout players at that point. I do like to look back and say ''what if''. The players taken after him that would not have been bad were Corderelle Patterson WR (if he keeps his nose clean), Giovani Bernard RB (good rookie RB-but we have decent RBs), Eddie Lacy (definitely a good pick) and we could have had Geno Smith instead, too (jk).

i wanted to trade back and try pick up few more picks

I think he will be a good solid player great, HMM not sure. He looked lost sometimes or tentative in the way of he didn't want to make a mistake. Understandable. I thought he was coming on just before he got hurt came back & he got going again at the end of the season. Should be better next year he now knows what to expect & instead of thinking he can let it all hang out next year.

If he didn't do anything to warrant a first round pick, then neither did the edge rushers picked ahead of him that Dustin listed with the exception of Ansah, but Ansah has the benefit of playing pretty much strictly as an edge rusher in a 4-3.  He would still have responsibilities against the run, but against the pass I would bet that Ansah didn't drop into coverage very much, if at all unlike Werner.

You do make a point that we could have had Patterson, Bernard, or Lacy but then we would have taken a chance on a 3rd round or later pass rusher. Plus, WR and RB positions were both addressed in FA.  A pass rusher was the one thing we still needed that we didn't get in FA so I wasn't the least bit surprised that pass rusher was our first pic.

Never liked the Werner pick to begin with. I said all along that IMO he didn't/don't have the body type to be an effective OLBer in a 3-4. Before somebody chimes in with the he's 6'4" 260lbs and compares other OLBers with those same measurable's...there's more to it than just that size. He's oddly shaped and I do not know how to really explain that on a message board. One just has to really pay attention to his build to see what I mean. He really is the epitome of a tweener, IMO should have been picked by a 4-3 team.

I didn't like the pick at first. I wanted us to trade back, But he started showing flashes toward the end of the season and I expect him to show a lot of improvement next season. (7-8 sacks) Remember he had to learn a new position this year. Actually two new positions. Rush and Sam LB.

As they say, if you miss on a first rounder, it will prove costly down the road.  2013: Werner, 2014: Richardson.  If you miss two years in a row, the cost will be very significant.  I guess we will get a better understand of this come the 2014 season.  Still MANY problems that need attention!  Obviously, neither of the two mentioned above have played like first rounders, at least not yet . . . we shall see.  I will say that the 2012 draft was "fantastic!"

4-3 end is more his spot, Not the most athletic Linebacker in space by any means(Not real good hip flexibility), I noticed many times at Florida State he made plays when standing up moreso out of play recognition then athletic ability. Lacks elite suddeness (ability to start, stop and adjust and start again). I think he gets better however. I dont expect elite numbers however....so not likely in my opinion the next Robert Mathis or Dwight Freeney.

He didn't live up to many expectations as a rookie playing in a new position. Let's cut him....I wonder if other fan bases are as whiny, finicky fair weather fans as some colts fans?

I think a lot of the members on here only come on to be babies.  I like when people don't change their avatars that way I see their photo and I skip reading their posts.