Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most Overrated and Underrated Colts player since you've been a fan

Brent71

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overrated: it's actually hard to think of an overrated Colt. Saturday was, but only for his last year or two. He was really underrated until we won the SB. I will step out of the box and say the O-line during the Peyton years was most overrated. That was because they always had low sack totals which announcers always alluded to, however, the main reason for that was due to Peyton Manning being able to set up and throw in 3 seconds or less most of the time. I think in 2010 a network analysis showed that Peyton averaged 2.6 seconds of protection while Brady averaged 4.6 seconds that year. We also struggled to run the ball consistently those years. Think of the key games that Edge would get 50 yds or less and 3.5 ypc in many of those.

Underrated: Tarik Glenn. His loss was most evident after he retired and we couldn't find a consistent replacement.

Overrated: Bob Sanders. Good player no question but people treated him like he was Peyton Manning of the defense. Don't get me wrong I think he made an impact but not to the level some think he did.

Underrated: Reggie Wayne. It took his injury this year and losing Peyton and Marvin for some to realize just how good he is as crazy as that sounds. I don't think many people will be questioning if he's a Hall of Famer anymore.

Since I've been a fan. . . Well that's a short time.  Only really started watching all the games last season.

Overrated: Vontae Davis

Underrated: Tie between Winston Justice and Dwayne Allen.  

Not saying that Justice was a top tackle or even "good", but he got torn down a lot but was head and shoulders better then Link at tackle.  He was, dare I say the 2nd best lineman we had in 2012.  

Dwayne Allen has gotten more attention since he's been injured but he got ignored through most of 2012.  He just sort of quietly played good football and few noticed until he wasn't in the lineup anymore.  

Rob Morris most overrated for most of his career.

Rob Morris most underrated for his contribution in taking over for the benched Gilbert Gardner and playing his best football in the 2006 playoffs.

It's always bothered me that Dungy is on the record as saying the team didn't change anything they were doing (except getting Bob back) they just did the same thing but executed his defense much better in the playoff run. Zero love for Rob which bothers me to this day.

Rob Morris most overrated for most of his career.

Rob Morris most underrated for his contribution in taking over for the benched Gilbert Gardner and playing his best football in the 2006 playoffs.

It's always bothered me that Dungy is on the record as saying the team didn't change anything they were doing (except getting Bob back) they just did the same thing but executed his defense much better in the playoff run. Zero love for Rob which bothers me to this day.

Guess the coaching staff should have moved him to OLB earlier....guy played great. Unfortunately, he blew out his knee in training camp the very next year.

Overrated:  I am not allowed to comment on this player but I would guess everyone should know who its it is.

Underrated: Peyton Manning. Even with all of the attention he got when he was here it wasn't adequate for the player he was and what he accomplished. He is under appreciated to this day. Four MVPs, a Super Bowl win and a Super Bowl MVP (and I am sure someone will bounce in and say that he shouldn't have won that, it should have gone to an over-the-hill running back). When that happens it will prove what I say that Manning was underrated and under appreciated in Indianapolis.  :D

Overrated-Antoine Bethea a guy thats done almost nothing but be a tackling machine of mostly players  15-20 yards downfield he sure has gotten alot of love (while missing plenty of tackles)

Underrated-Tony Siragusa......we have been trying to find a run stopper who could also collapse the pocket and put heat on the QB since he was a Colt

Overrated:  I am not allowed to comment on this player but I would guess everyone should know who its it is.

Underrated: Peyton Manning. Even with all of the attention he got when he was here it wasn't adequate for the player he was and what he accomplished. He is under appreciated to this day. Four MVPs, a Super Bowl win and a Super Bowl MVP (and I am sure someone will bounce in and say that he shouldn't have won that, it should have gone to an over-the-hill running back). When that happens it will prove what I say that Manning was underrated and under appreciated in Indianapolis.  :D

That MVP should have gone to the over the hill RB....I dont live even close to Indianapolis.

Underrated: Tarik Glenn. His loss was most evident after he retired and we couldn't find a consistent replacement.

Agree. For overrated I'm going to go with Bob Sanders and Gary bracket. In games that Sanders actually played, we lost more times than we won. Gary was just OK maybe less at MLB yet both were huge fan favorites. Never understood why

most overrated was dwight freeney.

he was absolutely terrible against the run.

Interesting you say this. I really liked Dwight and I thought he was a very positive infuence characterwise as well as on the field. He was a "diamond" on a "desert" defense. But did you know his best year was his rookie year? 13 sacks and did not start until midway through that season (He got 14 or more sacks only one other time is his career). He also had 9 forced fumbles that year, which was the most of his career (he only averaged 3.5 FF's per season). And he had 45 tackles that year and never came close to that number any season for the rest of his career. I know he was double-teamed for a lot after that rookie season  but honestly, I saw a lot of LT's handle him by themselves. He certainly was a force on a no-name defense but I do think Dwight was somewhat overrated as well.

Over-rated- Peyton Manning

Yes, he was and is one of the best and put Indy on the football map, but his less than stellar post season moments put him at the top of my list for over-rated. I still don't trust him to this day when it comes to the post season. I would still bet money he doesn't win the SB this year either.

Under-rated

Tim Jennings

Jacob Tamme

Mike Peterson

Interesting you say this. I really liked Dwight and I thought he was a very positive infuence characterwise as well as on the field. He was a "diamond" on a "desert" defense. But did you know his best year was his rookie year? 13 sacks and did not start until midway through that season (He got 14 or more sacks only one other time is his career). He also had 9 forced fumbles that year, which was the most of his career (he only averaged 3.5 FF's per season). And he had 45 tackles that year and never came close to that number any season for the rest of his career. I know he was double-teamed for a lot after that rookie season  but honestly, I saw a lot of LT's handle him by themselves. He certainly was a force on a no-name defense but I do think Dwight was somewhat overrated as well.

I don't think you give Dwight credit for all that double teaming of him did for the Colts. I think the Colts lost to New Orleans in the Super Bowl because he was hurt and they didn't have to double team him in the second half. He was a disruptive force and Dungy and Caldwell make good use of him. :D

Edited by Superman

I don't think you give Dwight credit for all that double teaming of him did for the Colts. I think the Colts lost to New Orleans in the Super Bowl because he was hurt and they didn't have to double team him in the second half. He was a disruptive force and Dungy and Caldwell make good use of him. :D

*ahem*

It isn't just the injuries although that certainly contributes to it all. Every team has injuries. It really isn't a good excuse.   :D

*ahem*

And I still feel that way. The Colts should have been able to carry on without him and they did. Have you seen how many serious injuries to star players the Patriots have had this year? They have great coaching and they just keep on winning. They kept on winning a few years ago when Brady went out for the season. I also think injuries can have more impact on one big game like the Super Bowl than they do over the course of a season. By that I mean that if Freeney had been lost for the last five games of the season, they would have been better prepared to play without him in the Super Bowl.  :D

Edited by Superman

Over-rated- Peyton Manning

Yes, he was and is one of the best and put Indy on the football map, but his less than stellar post season moments put him at the top of my list for over-rated. I still don't trust him to this day when it comes to the post season. I would still bet money he doesn't win the SB this year either.

Under-rated

Tim Jennings

Jacob Tamme

Mike Peterson

Jennings sucked.