Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most Overrated and Underrated Colts player since you've been a fan

Brent71

Overrated: Edgerran James (Much of his yards came in the second half when we were already ahead.

Underrated: Bert Jones.

That's exactly when you want your running back to get his yards, thus keeping the clock moving and decreasing the risk of turnover.

I'll give my overrated to Cato June and Jim Harbaugh and my underrated to Kent Dilger and Nick Harper.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overrated Bill Polian/ Jim Caldwell

Underrated Robert Mathis

Polian/Caldwell werent players, and nobody ever rated Caldwell highly. Polian as a GM orchestrated some of the best regular season teams to ever play in Buffalo, Carolina, and Indy. If you look at his career as a whole, his teams have reached the super bowl 7 times. Nothing to sneeze at for sure.

Overrated: Dwight Freeney: Great pass rusher, but had little else to his game.

Underrated: Tarik Glenn

Overrated: Peyton Manning. 9-11 in the play-offs.  The one championship run we had, he throws for 3 TDs and 7 interceptions during the play-offs?!? And still he gets SB MVP.  What if the defense and running backs didn't play lights out?  I wonder what people would be saying about Peyton then.

Underrated: Marshall Faulk.   Polian should have just ponied up the money for him and traded for New Orleans, who wanted Ricky Williams, entire draft.  Faulk was perfect fit for the offense.  And yes, a better fit than Edgerrin.

Overrated: Peyton Manning. 9-11 in the play-offs.  The one championship run we had, he throws for 3 TDs and 7 interceptions during the play-offs?!? And still he gets SB MVP.  What if the defense and running backs didn't play lights out?  I wonder what people would be saying about Peyton then.

Underrated: Marshall Faulk.   Polian should have just ponied up the money for him and traded for New Orleans, who wanted Ricky Williams, entire draft.  Faulk was perfect fit for the offense.  And yes, a better fit than Edgerrin.

People were talking about what a great job he was doing leading extremely long drives for points and playing ball control against some very good defenses and then the one half he had to be great he was.  Honestly the main reason we won that Super Bowl was Manning didn't have to carry the team.  He's had much better playoff games that ended up in loses because the rest of his teammates didn't play well.  That's why you have to be careful to judge a single player based on things like records.

Faulk didn't want to be in Indy anymore and it went beyond Polian.  He didn't like being here and has said as much.  Money wasn't going to fix that. 

Also I don't think Faulk was that underrated he was the face of the franchise till Peyton got here and Colts fans still called him one of the best in the league.  That's not being underrated.  Being underrated is a guy like Glenn who was one of the best tackles in football but got very little attention for it till late in his career or a guy like Bethea who was ignored for years next to Sanders who got tones of hype.  Honestly there was a time that the Colts might have had the most underrated player in the league in Bethea playing next to the most overrated player in the league in Sanders when Sanders played. 

Overrated Bill Polian/ Jim Caldwell

Underrated Robert Mathis

A million times this.

I was one of the ones underrating Mathis, too. I always thought he was a byproduct of Freeney but I see clear as day now he's a beast.

Is he the best DE in the league? No, bet a heckuva very good one any team would be lucky to have.

Polian/Caldwell werent players, and nobody ever rated Caldwell highly. Polian as a GM orchestrated some of the best regular season teams to ever play in Buffalo, Carolina, and Indy. If you look at his career as a whole, his teams have reached the super bowl 7 times. Nothing to sneeze at for sure.

Overrated: Dwight Freeney: Great pass rusher, but had little else to his game.

Underrated: Tarik Glenn

Someone rated Caldwell highly as he was made head coach.

If polian is so great why is he 1 from 7 in superbowls.

People were talking about what a great job he was doing leading extremely long drives for points and playing ball control against some very good defenses and then the one half he had to be great he was.  Honestly the main reason we won that Super Bowl was Manning didn't have to carry the team.  He's had much better playoff games that ended up in loses because the rest of his teammates didn't play well.  That's why you have to be careful to judge a single player based on things like records.

Faulk didn't want to be in Indy anymore and it went beyond Polian.  He didn't like being here and has said as much.  Money wasn't going to fix that. 

Also I don't think Faulk was that underrated he was the face of the franchise till Peyton got here and Colts fans still called him one of the best in the league.  That's not being underrated.  Being underrated is a guy like Glenn who was one of the best tackles in football but got very little attention for it till late in his career or a guy like Bethea who was ignored for years next to Sanders who got tones of hype.  Honestly there was a time that the Colts might have had the most underrated player in the league in Bethea playing next to the most overrated player in the league in Sanders when Sanders played. 

As for Manning, I can't offer anything but anecdotal evidence.  It just seems like he has a penchant for doing just enough to screw his team out of a play-off win.  We saw it in the Superbowl against New Orleans.  We saw it last year in Denver against Baltimore.  We saw him inexplicably not be able to get Marvin Harrison involved more often than not in the post-season.  So many One-and-dones.

If he wins a Superbowl again, I'll gladly celebrate him as the G.O.A.T.  If not, than my suspicion will be confirmed in my mind.  It's football, not religion.  Take off the blinders.  

Faulk OTOH, is an NFL Hall-of-fame inductee, NFL MVP, and a Superbowl winner.  I don't recall anyone here in Indy thinking he had that in him.  There is no comparison between Faulk and a player like Tarik Glenn, or any other ex-Colt.  I think Faulk is the poster child for under-appreciation.  I may be wrong, but I'm almost certain Faulk was let go because Polian did not want to pay him.  He ended up having to pony up to Edge later anyway.  Furthermore, It was recently leaked that Polian also wanted to jettison Manning after the 2004 season because he would command too much money.  Cheap ol' Uncle Bill!