Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Whalen has been released

Indeee

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing that came to my mind on this was to recollect what we did against the Broncos.

We sat a lot of DLs and kept all our DBs active to defend against the pass.

Can't help but think this has a lot to do with our game plan against the Cards.

The Cards are the #2 D against the run.

We want to run to set up the pass.

Bring in additional TEs, and bring in WRs that can stretch the field to back off the safeties.

Allows us to remain balanced.

I'm guessing, if he clears waivers, Griff ends up on the PS for future use.

wow whalen was good.......better than dhb

I think he is the anti-DHB. DHB has great speed with no hands; Whalen has good hands with no speed. Whenever I watched Whalen it always seemed like he had trouble getting separation from his defender because he was just so slow. I think this inability to separate from his defender is why he is being released at this juncture. DHB still provides good blocking downfield if nothing else. Hopefully Whalen is still on the PS so he is available in the future. If nothing else it is nice to have him as an option.

Whalen released Cunningham elevated to the 53 says to me more power sets with 2/3 TE's on the field at all time fewer 3 WR sets. Empty backfield sets will be with FB and HB lined up as WR's. I think the Colts are convinced that there is more advantage to throwing the ball to Stanley and Trent/Donald than trying to coax catches out of Lavon/Griff/David and yes gasp Rogers!

Da'Rick Rogers might be ready. Plus, Griff Whalen was not much of a huge factor. He dropped balls and the Colts can't afford that. OR it can just be that Da'Rick Rogers is looking great at practice and the Colts felt like Griff was the guy to get rid of. Justice Cunningham is a TE so maybe they feel that if they bring back that West Coast offense, which they haven't been running a lot lately since Dwayne Allen and Reggie Wayne got hurt, Cunningham will probably be able to make plays. He is a big guy you know.

Da'Rick Rogers might be ready. Plus, Griff Whalen was not much of a huge factor. He dropped balls and the Colts can't afford that. OR it can just be that Da'Rick Rogers is looking great at practice and the Colts felt like Griff was the guy to get rid of. Justice Cunningham is a TE so maybe they feel that if they bring back that West Coast offense, which they haven't been running a lot lately since Dwayne Allen and Reggie Wayne got hurt, Cunningham will probably be able to make plays. He is a big guy you know.

The Colts are really just trying all their options to find a recieving corp that functions now. The Whalen experiment was largely a failure, so we move on to the Rogers experiment. We currently have 4 TEs on the active roster, so they are likely looking for a guy to start opposite Fleener to reopen the 2TE sets.

My favorite is how people thought/think he was/is the second coming of collie.

Injuries aside, and I like griff but he can't even touch collie's skill set, or come close. I just don't get it, but people want to see what they want to see. Definitely a little shocking though

Guest TeamLoloJones

This should be merged. I mean, this tread combined with the other equals about 7 pages. I cannot understand how Whalen garners so much attention. Did people not watch him play?

I think people are hoping him to be the next Wes Welker, but he's not.

Guest TeamLoloJones

:facepalm: ....he came up with some big catches last week on third downs plus he can at least catch the ball. should have released stone hands  DHB,

Sorry if I sound like a jerk, but thats an overstatement.  Whalen was targeted 3 times, all on 3rd down.  Two passes were incomplete, and his ONE catch was a 6 yard gain on 3rd and 5.

like flat out off the team..or just signed to the practice squad?

He has to clear waivers before he can be re signed to the PS. Assuming he does, I dont see why they dont re sign him there. They did just sign another WR to the practice squad though, so he may actually be done as a Colt. Hard to say at this juncture.

My favorite is how people thought/think he was/is the second coming of collie.

Injuries aside, and I like griff but he can't even touch collie's skill set, or come close. I just don't get it, but people want to see what they want to see. Definitely a little shocking though

It looks like the Colts don't think he is the second coming of Wes Welker, Steve Largent, Brandon Stokley, Lance Alworth and Dwight Clark after all. Thank goodness, that unlike some fans, the Colts are a classy organization that judges talent based on skill and not extracurricular circumstances.