Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Toler - Powers swap

chad72

I was watching the Cardinals play the Chargers, and boy, were they picking on Powers again and again and again. I almost felt bad for him.

Arizona's D will take a step back primarily because of this Toler - Powers swap (other than losing Adrian Wilson too), and the Colts' secondary will take the next step thanks to Toler being across Vontae Davis.

The tenacity within the first 5 yards makes all the difference within the existing rules for a CB and Toler has plenty of it and Powers has little of it.

Terrific acquisition by Grigson and the Colts plus excellent secondary coaching by Pags and his coaches are all a recipe for the one of the most improved secondaries in the league, IMO. Of course, even middle of the road secondary would be a huge jump from where we were last year but I believe this will be a Top 10 secondary and top 10 defense when it is all said and done.

I was watching the Cardinals play the Chargers, and boy, were they picking on Powers again and again and again. I almost felt bad for him.

Arizona's D will take a step back primarily because of this Toler - Powers swap (other than losing Adrian Wilson too), and the Colts' secondary will take the next step thanks to Toler being across Vontae Davis.

The tenacity within the first 5 yards makes all the difference within the existing rules for a CB and Toler has plenty of it and Powers has little of it.

Terrific acquisition by Grigson and the Colts plus excellent secondary coaching by Pags and his coaches are all a recipe for the one of the most improved secondaries in the league, IMO. Of course, even middle of the road secondary would be a huge jump from where we were last year but I believe this will be a Top 10 secondary and top 10 defense when it is all said and done.

Have to hand it to Grigson. Giving 5 mill a year (I know.. little guaranteed money .. but still...) to such an obscure CB seemed outrageous. He knew who he wanted and just did it , even when there was no market for free agent CB's. Tolar is a pure stud and is a great sign. 

As you say the secondary looks really good. I just hope Landry holds up. Those huge guys with no body fat that run 4.4's just scare me.

Have to hand it to Grigson. Giving 5 mill a year (I know.. little guaranteed money .. but still...) to such an obscure CB seemed outrageous. He knew who he wanted and just did it , even when there was no market for free agent CB's. Tolar is a pure stud and is a great sign. 

As you say the secondary looks really good. I just hope Landry holds up. Those huge guys with no body fat that run 4.4's just scare me.

Much better off then we have been in the past with short guys with no body fat

I like to point out to my Auburn buddies here in Bama that Powers remained on the Auburn schedule when he was with the Colts.  He'd play 11 games and take the rest of the year off.

He was a servicable CB when he was healthy.  Toler is an upgrade.

They were interviewing Toler and Landry and a few other during the game, and both Toler and Landry mentioned that everyone in the secondary is trying to show to the other one what they can do, and it's a big family. 

I am very impressed with this secondary, and if everyone stays healthy, we are easily a top 10 secondary. 

They were interviewing Toler and Landry and a few other during the game, and both Toler and Landry mentioned that everyone in the secondary is trying to show to the other one what they can do, and it's a big family. 

I am very impressed with this secondary, and if everyone stays healthy, we are easily a top 10 secondary. 

I don't know if they've always been doing this, but I was impressed that the secondary all ran out together when they introduced them at the game.  That little gesture showed me something.

I don't know if they've always been doing this, but I was impressed that the secondary all ran out together when they introduced them at the game.  That little gesture showed me something.

Agreed. With the Egos most pro's have, it was a pretty cool sight.

I still think its a little too early to see who made out better on this deal.

We have two often injured CB's who are both learning a new system on a new team. I would of liked to keep

Jerraud and still of brought in Toler. If healthy that's one heck of a secondary.. I'm just hoping Darius Butler continues to grow because after him we have virtually no one.

Hold it, I though it was determined on this board that Toler was overpaid.

;)

According to Forbes, Ricky Jean Francois was 3rd most overpaid, and he has been rock solid vs the run so far. Grigson reminds me of the football version of Theo Epstein.

Its funny you say that.....I hope he is a bigger Bob Sanders..but then, I hope he's not. You know what I mean?

Toler has always been a playmaker  and has great ball awareness. Powers doesn't have the speed and size like Toler to be a press man CB, he's a zone CB. He's just always been overshadowed first with DRC then Peterson, he reminds me a lot of Tramon Williams. The only problem has been his injuries, he hasn't been able to stay healthy. When healthy he was one of the most versatile CB's in the league because he can play on the outside, and in the slot.

I still think its a little too early to see who made out better on this deal.

We have two often injured CB's who are both learning a new system on a new team. I would of liked to keep

Jerraud and still of brought in Toler. If healthy that's one heck of a secondary.. I'm just hoping Darius Butler continues to grow because after him we have virtually no one.

According to Forbes, Ricky Jean Francois was 3rd most overpaid, and he has been rock solid vs the run so far. Grigson reminds me of the football version of Theo Epstein.

Billy Beanish. Spreading the $$$ around and building depth.

And FAST!

Powers NEVER was more than Mediocre.

4th on the depth chart kind of talent.

I was thinking that in this game, especially when they were talking about how the Colts were giving alot of guys second chances.  Completely different approach than Pollian, overpaying the top talent and using mediocre talent to fill the wholes.  We are able to build a good overall team with players that want to prove themselves. 

As far as Tulor goes, he was the defensive player of the game IMO, and that is saying something because it was a great overall performance from the starting defense.  If he can stay healthy, he will be a difference maker.  Made some big plays and I never saw him lose his man.  This secondary looks night and day from last year. 

Question....which would you target....Peterson or Powers? That's why they are targeting Powers. I think its less to do with him being a poor corner and more being that he is the weaker link....and as the weaker link your going to get targeted a lot....and that makes you look even weaker...so its kind of a vicious cycle unless you can really step up and make enough plays to scare defenses away. Honestly in the NFL there are few if any shut down corners and most quality wrs should be able to get open with the rules in their favor. I think Powers was decent....hoping Toler is an upgrade. Its been a long time since we've had a really good secondary. We've had great LBs...great DE's...great S's, but it would be sweet to have some great CBs. Toler has to stay healthy and Davis isn't exactly shut down but two quality corners are nice. Can't remember what its like to have corners that may intercept a pass or cause a turnover....too long we played bend but don't break...but definately could appreciate a defense that can get you the ball back....change momentum...or even better yet...SCORE.

It's nice to read comments that keep things positive. Some fans get too negative over one or two bad plays by certain players and not giving credit on the opposing player. The NFL is full of receivers and tight ends that can make the safeties and CBs look silly at times. I think good linebacker play helps the DBs more than anything. Getting tackles from the linebackers helps the DBs cover their men rather than worry about making tackles on RBs that get that deep into the secondary. It's all good!

i havent been able to watch any games this preseason...too much work...so RJF has shined?

I am not sure what 2CBs you meant were learning a new system, but Toler played in a very similar scheme at AZ.

Didn't AZ run more of a zone scheme under Horton? I don't really know, I just figured he did since he comes from the Dick LeBeau school of defense.

It's still a different system with different personnel. We run a hybrid 3-4.. Don't think anyone else in the NFL does that.

That distinction affects the CBs and the secondary very little.  The hybrid refers to the guys in the box.  The secondary still runs versions of the various zones and man coverage, but the only real affect the defensive scheme (classified as 4-3, 3-4, or hybrid) has is the types of bodies in coverage.  For a secondary, cover 2 is still cover 2.  Man to man is still manto man, Cover 1 is still cover 1 and so on and so forth.

Didn't AZ run more of a zone scheme under Horton? I don't really know, I just figured he did since he comes from the Dick LeBeau school of defense.

They were moved toward a 3-4 in like 2011 and will consider themselves a hybrid 3-4 heading into this season. But Patrick Peterson, to my understanding has always been regarded as a shut down corner which kinda leads me to believe that they run a lot of press coverage, or at least man to man.

I love Greg Toler, might be my new favorite player! I really like our secondary with LaRon Landry, Antoine Bethea, Vontae Davis, and Greg Toler. 

There's never been a secondary I've loved more than Marlin Jackson, Hayden, Bethea, and Bob Sanders.. too bad everyone but Bethea broke down so fast. The connection between then and now? Bethea obviously.. He won't make the Ring of Honor, but I think one day he'll be looked back on as an all-time beloved Colt by many.

Didn't Powers have 2 picks and caused a fumble in the last game against the Cowboys?  I know he did poorly against the Chargers, but the season is young.  I've always thought Toler was a good pickup though.  He was hurt most of his time with the Cardinals though so it wasn't as if they lost a major contributing player.  

Okay top 10.. Who's better????

There's never been a secondary I've loved more than Marlin Jackson, Hayden, Bethea, and Bob Sanders.. too bad everyone but Bethea broke down so fast. The connection between then and now? Bethea obviously.. He won't make the Ring of Honor, but I think one day he'll be looked back on as an all-time beloved Colt by many.

I agree!! It is to bad those guys were injured most of the time.