Colts Sign Another CB

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Says Nigel Malone

COLTS SIGN CB-NIGEL MALONE

Posted by Kevin Bowen on May 2, 2013 – 1:26 pm

The Indianapolis Colts today signed cornerback Nigel Malone.

Malone, 5-10, 180 pounds, played two years for Kansas State and totaled 109 tackles (90 solo), 19 passes defensed, 12 interceptions, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery in 26 career games. As a senior, he led the team with 14 passes defensed and tied for the most interceptions with five. As a junior in 2011, Malone led the Big 12 Conference and tied for third nationally with seven interceptions. His seven picks ranked second in school history and tied for fifth in Big 12 history. Prior to attending Kansas State, Malone was enrolled at City College of San Francisco for the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

If he's so good, how come he lasted this long without getting picked up?

He's got major downsides.  Scouts picked him apart.  Let's be real, this kid will not even sniff 2nd string.  Doubt he makes the team.  Nothing to get excited about when you're talking about UFA.  There are hundreds and hundreds of scouts looking over every one of these kids' every move.  Don't think for a minute someone got under the radar at this level and this year, where technology allows us to know if his left index finger is longer than his right.  Doesn't happen. But I do hope he makes it in the CFL or some amateur league football somewhere.

Vaughn, your time is running out :D

Vaughn has something none of the UDFAs have - experience starting for the Colts in real games. Coaches are going to go with known talent, even if that talent is limited, over unknown projects, no matter what their potential.

We all want Vaughn to be our dime, at best. But how many teams have an ex starter at that spot?

Don't count on him getting cut.

Vaughn has something none of the UDFAs have - experience starting for the Colts in real games. Coaches are going to go with known talent, even if that talent is limited, over unknown projects, no matter what their potential.

We all want Vaughn to be our dime, at best. But how many teams have an ex starter at that spot?

Our cornerback play might be brutal this year.  yikes.... I think we needed to get Revis.

Our cornerback play might be brutal this year.  yikes.... I think we needed to get Revis.

Well, we know Davis is good, we're hoping Toler is decent, Butler showed some flashes, and Vaughn...

Yeah, we may not be brutal, but we can see it in our rear view mirror.

That pass rush better be working!

There is this video on Youtube (below) of him against TCU. I didn't notice anything special. The video doesn't show him covering anybody deep. Most of the time he is in cushion coverage. I don't like how he ends the plays, kind of lazy.

On a side note every time I watch a KSU video I continue to be not impressed with Arthur Brown. I guess am not a football expert so maybe that's why I can't understand what Ravens and other people saw in him.

Yeah your point is so valid because if the guy goes undrafted it means they cant play worth a damn!! just like Arian Foster or Wes Welker or Jeff Saturday or James Harrison or Antonio Gates or John Randle...SMH I know its hard to believe but sometimes just sometimes teams miss out on great talent in the draft..I know impossible right?

Really hope one of the undrafted CBs are our 5th corner... I can handle Vaughn as our Dime. The guy got a lot of time covering #1 and #2 WRs last year, which he can't do.. I can deal with him as our 4th behind a hopeful healthy Davis, Toler, and Butler

He's got major downsides.  Scouts picked him apart.  Let's be real, this kid will not even sniff 2nd string.  Doubt he makes the team.  Nothing to get excited about when you're talking about UFA.  There are hundreds and hundreds of scouts looking over every one of these kids' every move.  Don't think for a minute someone got under the radar at this level and this year, where technology allows us to know if his left index finger is longer than his right.  Doesn't happen. But I do hope he makes it in the CFL or some amateur league football somewhere.

You probably would have said the same thing about some unknown ol player named Saturday, but he didn't turn out so bad....

There is this video on Youtube (below) of him against TCU. I didn't notice anything special. The video doesn't show him covering anybody deep. Most of the time he is in cushion coverage. I don't like how he ends the plays, kind of lazy.

On a side note every time I watch a KSU video I continue to be not impressed with Arthur Brown. I guess am not a football expert so maybe that's why I can't understand what Ravens and other people saw in him.

http:watch?v=HmFi9bZ23yY

Okay, as a TCU fan...... it's not exactly "fair" so to speak to measure him off of sticking our BEST WR (Josh Boyce) Since hhe'll probably be competing for no more than Nickel or Dime CB here in Indy. But since that's who he covered for most the video, guess you have too.

He had some good plays against Boyce, especially the jumped route even though he dropped the pick. What I notice is he's very "cautious" about Tackling cause there's a few plays he could've made the tackle but put no effort in getting off blocks or pursuit. But Pagano can get that outta him if he makes it here. But overall, I'd say he did pretty well against our #1 WR

How doe's a 5'10 corner cover Megatron? Revis does is at only 5'11"

You do realize that extra inch is more like a foot, don't you?   :scratch:

Ugh, it's a UDFA signing people.  He's not Revis, he's not Peterson, nor any other top talent.  He has a slim shot of making the roster.

As for the 5-10 bit, I'd be willing to be that the average height of the NFL CB is roughly 5-10 to 5-11.  As for covering Megatron, there are very few that can do it by themselves.  And those that can are generally 10+ million a year.  We had absolutely NO chance of bringing a guy like that in, and Davis actually has the physical tools to be our closest guy to it.  Hopefully he fills that role this year, and brings his A game during the off-season so he is ready to go at the start of this season.

I strongly doubt it was because he wasn't getting offers.

More likely,  the player took his time decided which offer he wanted to accept.    It's the perk of being a free agent.   One of the few times a player gets to have control of his future.

That would be my hunch.....

Too small in my opinion.  Pete Carrolls approach to CB I think is what the NFL is going to start going towards more bigger, more aggressive corners who may not be the fastest, but strong enough to contain them and disrupt their routes.  He is just plain to small 5'10'' and not even close to 200 he will be bullied by bigger WRs. 

:lol: experience getting burned and being bad!

He is a pretty darn good corner...played in big 12, which does not get noticed as much as other conferences.  Also, he lacks big corner size which drops his stock(5-10 185)... just for size comparison ...Revis is 5-11 198 and one of the best, hopefully he has success in the NFL like he did in college....Looked on 3 different sites and he was ranked as high as 29 overall CB, and as low as 47...Nice pick up COLTS

Hmmm it seems to me FO wants to create some competition...Boldin's big catches must have frustrated Grigs and Pags pretty much.

Boldin's big catches happened against everyone, big and small, in this playoffs, and was a HUGE part of the Ravens' SB run.

Guys, the draft used to have 12 rounds and guys that were drafted after the 7th routinely made rosters. The reason why the top UDFA's went undrafted is simply because there werent enough rounds. Its not because they arent any good. One of my biggest gripes with the NFL is that there arent enough players on each roster. 53 is ridiculous and if the union should push for 60. 6 players more than a two deep with a LS, P, and K? Thats just not enough.

Having said that, I think that 3 UDFA's make the team. Cleary and a couple of these CB's. Maybe Moore.