Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This is unacceptable for a number 1 overall pick

needanoline63

Dont get me wrong, he is good and will improve eventually but right now Andrew luck has the 2nd worse completetion percentage in the league among 33 starting quarterbacks, at 54.2, 1st is mark Sanchez with 48.2(wow). Andrew luck needs to start making smarter and more accurate throws. Letting someone like Blaine gabbert,Brandon weeden,Alex smith,cam newton, and Ryan tannehill have higher %'s is embarrassing, he must improve

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont get me wrong, he is good and will improve eventually but right now Andrew luck has the 2nd worse completetion percentage in the league among 33 starting quarterbacks, at 54.2, 1st is mark Sanchez with 48.2(wow). Andrew luck needs to start making smarter and more accurate throws. Letting someone like Blaine gabbert,Brandon weeden,Alex smith,cam newton, and Ryan tannehill have higher %'s is embarrassing, he must improve

And perhaps he must run the most "for his life" in the entire league, that largely contributes to his low completion rate. O-line must maintain the pocket and provide him better protection. Receivers were also dropping some of his (catch-able) passes.

Luck seems to be inaccurate when throwing deep balls, but that can be improved.

Other question, that Tannehill shows up 2 TDs with his higher percentage, whilst Luck has 7 so far. This whole tells me, that one single stat alone doesn't say anything. You have to take a look at the picture as a whole. There are so many factors making a QB great!

He will improve, take it easy!

Edited by HungarianColtsFan

He does need to be more accurate. He also threw 4 or 5 very dangerous throws on Sunday that should and could have been intercepted. His long balls are not on point yet either. Oh, he also 'grins' too much, has a stupid beard, and also has shown a magical talent in driving his team up the field to win 2 games, and so close to winning three. For a rookie, he's been awesome so far. The improvements you (and now I) refer to are a by product of the shambles this team was left in by the previous management. He will only get better once he and his fellow rookies get more playing time.

But again, here we have a classic example of hightlighting a players downside (which everyone has) without counter balancing with their strong points. A next to worthless post. I can't believe I responded. Hey-ho...

:facepalm: You think there might be some other contributing factors to that completion % ... how about taking a look at your own screen name and ask if that might play into it a little bit ... or the fact we have no running game and he is forced to throw too often!

The only way I can begin to even understand your post is agree in some aspect that maybe some more higher percentage throws should be called. We have to get the ball in Donald Browns hands more in the passing game. Some more swing routes and screens to get him on the edge. He also had him wide open in the middle on the drive we had to settle for 3. It didn't prove costly in the end. Other than that, Andrew has been remarkable!

Are you not entertained?!?!

The man is a master of the 2 minute drill already and has lead us to a win over one of the best teams in the NFL and you are griping about completion percentage? We have already matched our season win total from last year having only played 4 games. Any win from here on out is profit. We should be pretty happy that we were able to transition from Manning to Luck.

lol this topic is funny.

He is a ROOKIE QB. Also besides wayne, who you will note he has a VERY good completion percentage with, all of the other WR are ROOKIE's as well. Every time they drop a pass it hurt's Luck's completion percentage. They are also not in sync time wise, because they are both ROOKIES. Some people just amaze me, I hope this topic is fake.

:facepalm:

What the OP said there isn't too ridiculous, Wayne and Dwayne had to do a lot of acrobatic catches in the game and some were behind them.. there also were a few throws that we're just bad throws though.

He's still a rookie and that's expected though

LOL this is too funny. He's a rookie and going to make mistakes. There are a host of other factors that are hurting his completion percentage as well. How many times have we watched him get hit as he throws? How many times has he had to throw it away? How many drops? This year he'll most likely continue to be near the bottom in that stat. But if you want reassurance that things will get better as he learns and becomes more comfortable with his receiving corps, then here are his college completion stats:

2009 56.3%

2010 70.7%

2011 71.3%

Give the kid a break. There was another rookie here that set the rookie interceptions record and only had a 56.7% completion rate as a number one draft pick. And he's on the GOAT list.

Wow, no breaks here. His horrible unacceptable play has us at 2-2, 2nd in the division and all being done while asked to throw the ball a lot more than he should. Those other guys mentioned just happen to have a running game for one thing. Maybe if we were not behind in almost every game we played, he would not have to throw as much. Oh, maybe being sacked nine times might have something to do with that. He has been hurried on just about every drop back he has done.

But you are right,...... unacceptable (not really)

And your bet on how many people will actually take you serious was...?

This thread is so freaking comical it can't be anything more than just a troll trying elicit a response. But just for kicks & giggles, let assume Junior is serious.

1) Have you been paying attention to what Luck has done with the game on the line? That is completely acceptable for the number 1 overall pick. In fact, that is something that only the rarest & most experienced of QB's can do. ANd yet here is Luck in only his 4th game as a pro leading the Colts to comebacks in the last 3 games.

2) He has made some throws that were poor. Alot of those are due to the pressure the d gets because the O'line is not the greatest.

3) Some of his incompletions are inexplicable drops - Hilton, Fleener, Brown among others have all not made plays.

4) It is only his 4th game as a pro. Can we assume that he is not yet a finished product and grasp the concept that he will get better. And that is a scary freaking thought for the rest of the league.

If anyone can't see how good this kid is going to be, I have no idea what you are looking at. The Colts will be contenders very soon much like they were under Manning and they will be that for a long period of time. Why? Because of Luck. And is totally acceptable for the # 1 overall pick.

What the OP said there isn't too ridiculous, Wayne and Dwayne had to do a lot of acrobatic catches in the game and some were behind them.. there also were a few throws that we're just bad throws though.

He's still a rookie and that's expected though

I'm with Smitto. A lot of it is poor pass blocking and constantly running for his life, and a lot of it is receiver drops. But Andrew's had a couple of really dumb passes every game that I'm sure he'd like back. I'm pretty sure Luck would acknowledge that if you asked him.

That doesn't change the fact, though, that Luck is likely the best rookie QB to come out in quite a while. I'd say he's well ahead of where Manning was his rookie year. If you were to pick Gabbert's body of work and his higher completion over what Luck has one so far, you'd be out of your mind.

In the end, I don't think it's "unacceptable", but it could stand to improve.

Dropped passes, throwing under crazy pressure, throwing the ball away, all of these things have to be taken into account. His completion percentage will improve over time. You can have Gabbert or any of the younger QB's in the league if you want i'll take Luck and his clutch play.

Do Weeden, Smith, Gabbert, Newton, and Tannehill throw as much as Andrew Luck? Luck was 5 throws short of throwing 60 times yesterday! The more passing attempts you take, the more that stat gets skewed. If you are sitting there handing the ball off to Jones Drew almost the entire game and you attempt 10 passes and hit 7 of them does that really make you a more efficient passer than Luck?

I do agree that there are some throws he needs to get better with as far as ball placement is concerned. He will get better as he always does every game.

It is a fair topic, and his accuracy which was supposedly one of his strengths in college isn't among his strengths in the NFL at this point. I believe his cmp % in college was amplified by the WCO, but I would say that about Tannehill too since he ran the WCO in college as well.

His accuracy on short throws which are more touch passes has been a bit disappointing

Behind LOS 53.8%

Less than 10 yards 58.7%.

11+ yards 47.1%

Some will argue drops, but every QB has drops... They have Luck listed with 9(Fleener 3 team leader*) at this point, which is tied for 14th-17th depending on how you look at it. So basically he's had about the league average drops.

Top 5

1 New Orleans Saints 17
2 Detroit Lions 15
3 New York Giants 14
4 Atlanta Falcons 13
5 Cleveland Browns 13
6 Denver Broncos 13
7 Green Bay Packers 13

http://hosted.stats....ge=NFL&rank=232

Hopefully it will be something that improves sooner rather than later.

Here is how his distribution has been when it comes to targets..

luckgame4targets1.jpg

It will improve, but Wayne & company have hauled in quite a few off target passes.

It is a fair topic, and his accuracy which was supposedly one of his strengths in college isn't among his strengths in the NFL at this point. I believe his cmp % in college was amplified by the WCO, but I would say that about Tannehill too since he ran the WCO in college as well.

His accuracy on short throws which are more touch passes has been a bit disappointing

Behind LOS 53.8%

11+ yards 47.1%

Some will argue drops, but every QB has drops... They have Luck listed with 9(Fleener 3 team leader*) at this point, which is tied for 14th-17th depending on how you look at it. So basically he's had about the league average drops.

Top 5

1 New Orleans Saints 17
2 Detroit Lions 15
3 New York Giants 14
4 Atlanta Falcons 13
5 Cleveland Browns 13
6 Denver Broncos 13
7 Green Bay Packers 13

luckgame4targets1.jpg

It will improve, but Wayne & company have hauled in quite a few off target passes.

Thanks for the chart I was looking for something like that.

Behind LOS 53.8%

11+ yards 47.1%

Top 5

1 New Orleans Saints 17
2 Detroit Lions 15
3 New York Giants 14
4 Atlanta Falcons 13
5 Cleveland Browns 13
6 Denver Broncos 13
7 Green Bay Packers 13

luckgame4targets1.jpg

Nice post once again FJC.

It is definitely a legitimate topic to discuss and it is something that Luck will need to improve on. As you pointed out one of his strengths coming out of college was his accuracy so it is a bit disappointing to see his completion percentage where it is right now. Of course the WCO probably inflated his completion percentage and him in a new offense will deflate that percentage for a bit.

Now if we are sitting in year three or four and his completion percentage is sitting where it is now then we can be concerned, but for now I just shrug it off as just a rookie year and something he will need to improve on going forward.

Nice post once again FJC.

It is definitely a legitimate topic to discuss and it is something that Luck will need to improve on. As you pointed out one of his strengths coming out of college was his accuracy so it is a bit disappointing to see his completion percentage where it is right now. Of course the WCO probably inflated his completion percentage and him in a new offense will deflate that percentage for a bit.

Now if we are sitting in year three or four and his completion percentage is sitting where it is now then we can be concerned, but for now I just shrug it off as just a rookie year and something he will need to improve on going forward.

I would respectfully suggest that his accuracy in his last / penultimate seasons in college are not comparable to his first 4 games in the NFL. That is a ludicrous comparison. Compare his first 4 games in his first season in college to his first 4 games in the NFL, and I might take a little more interest. Otherwise....it's bonkers.

I've said it before, ill say it again. we need to start drug testing our members

Behind LOS 53.8%

11+ yards 47.1%

Top 5

1 New Orleans Saints 17
2 Detroit Lions 15
3 New York Giants 14
4 Atlanta Falcons 13
5 Cleveland Browns 13
6 Denver Broncos 13
7 Green Bay Packers 13

luckgame4targets1.jpg

I really appreciate the fact that you don't take a thread that seems so off the wall that some think it to be trolling and just immediately dismiss its premise. You are much more thoughtful than most.

My reaction is that some people just complain for the sake of it and this seems to be one of those times. Could Luck improve his completion % - sure. Many off target throws. Some of them forced and other not so much. But the bottom line is that he appears to be everything that he was supposed to be coming out of college - toughness, moxie, leadership, athleticism etc. Would trade him for any other young QB in the game right now?