Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This is unacceptable for a number 1 overall pick

needanoline63

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only complain with Luck is his deep ball with Avery. Now read that again, I am not saying he has no deep ball im saying WITH avery.

it seems every game Avery manages to get behind the whole D 2-3 times a game, and Luck sometimes underthrows him or overthrows him or something like that. Those are game changing plays that if he makes that connection who knows what happends on those games.

of course that will come around with practice and getting to know his WR, thats why im not worried.

but cmon there is nothing, absolutely nothing else you can ask him. maybe taking a couple of checkdowns to brown that i saw vs the packers, but cmon he is a rookie

Funny how people post topics like this and then disappear when their point gets shot down. There's always someone looking for the dark cloud in the silver lining. Negativity never solved anything. It's good to be realistic, and yes, he's a rookie and will make mistakes. Show me a rookie who's never had growing pains? I'm excited about the future of this QB and this franchise.

Of course he's got work to do, but 2 days after a huge win isn't the best time to call him out on areas for improvement, to put it mildly lol.

This has been a bad year for us for drops, too. I've even seen Wayne drop a couple this year, which is unheard of. Allen's dropped one or two. Fleener and Hilton are the primary culprits, but I think the whole passing game will get better with time to gel. When you consider how little time we've had to play together as an offense and how complex we're making it, it's tough to expect more at this point.

We are 4 games into the season, Luck has beaten the Vikings, their only loss, beaten the Packers, considered one of the best teams in the NFL, gave the team the lead against the Jags in the last minute of the game, and yet there is the need to complain about his completion percentage? Good Lord, talk about ticky tack!! I'll take wins over completion percentage any day of the week. I find this topic hard to take seriously. ( Shakes head in disbelief )

He throws a lot away under pressure, he makes some inaccurate throws to open receivers when hurried, and he forces the ball into tight windows too often. But that's the story with rookie QBs in passing offenses. He's learning from every mistake, and for every 'ugh" moment, there are probably two "wow" moments for Luck. I believe he'll be in PB form by the end of his rookie season...hopefully in time to get us into the playoffs this year.

Dont get me wrong, he is good and will improve eventually but right now Andrew luck has the 2nd worse completetion percentage in the league among 33 starting quarterbacks, at 54.2, 1st is mark Sanchez with 48.2(wow). Andrew luck needs to start making smarter and more accurate throws. Letting someone like Blaine gabbert,Brandon weeden,Alex smith,cam newton, and Ryan tannehill have higher %'s is embarrassing, he must improve

"Man your out of your mind" If it wasn't for Andrew we would have 0 wins right now, you should be grateful we have such a great quarterback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luck is a very accurate passer if anything it the receivers who need to work on their drops. TY had two big drops in the Packers game and Fleener has had a lot of drops as well.

One thing I would agree with you on is that when Andrew has an inaccurate throw they are REALLY inaccurate. And unfortunately a few too many of them have been interceptions.

Dont get me wrong, he is good and will improve eventually but right now Andrew luck has the 2nd worse completetion percentage in the league among 33 starting quarterbacks, at 54.2, 1st is mark Sanchez with 48.2(wow). Andrew luck needs to start making smarter and more accurate throws. Letting someone like Blaine gabbert,Brandon weeden,Alex smith,cam newton, and Ryan tannehill have higher %'s is embarrassing, he must improve

Im assuming you aren't taking into account the line he is working behind and the passes that are dropped? As long as he is winning games i don't think "percentages" should matter. Luck is a rookie everything will get better with time, for now let this guy play and learn by trial and error its the only way he will improve.

Get up from the computer, walk away, go to a corner of wherever you live and just sit there and reflect on what a silly thread this is and what you posted was the saddest thing posted in the last hour....

:spit::funny::lol:

Never drink and post. It's a no-win situation. And you just proved that.

Thanks. I needed a good laugh this morning. And even if it was unintentional, you just provided it!

:loco: :slaphead: :facepalm:

OK... I gave a silly answer first....

Now, I should also give a more serious answer....

When one of the most accurate QB's in the history of college football, running a pro style offense, is having trouble completing a decent percentage of his passes, what does that tell you?

It tells me that our offense is very, very dysfunctional.

A running game that is, at best, hit and miss, due to a **terrible** run blocking OL. A passing game that is sporadic, due to a below average pass blocking OL. So many of our successful pass plays have Luck under terrible pressure, he scrambles, keep his head up, and his eyes down field, and he finds someone running around. A successful play, yes. But perhaps not the way it was drawn up to be executed.

I mentioned this last week, but it's worth repeating... anyone else notice how few receivers we have that are actually wide open catching the ball? Seems to me most of our completions come with a DB (or two) draped all over the receiver. Luck is fitting the ball into very, very tight windows.

I watch other games and receivers are finding soft spots in zone coverage, or they run plays where the receiver beats his man.

I don't see enough of that with the Colts. And I'm not sure yet what the problem is?

Are our WR's not that good? Are our pass plays not that well conceived? Hard to believe given the success of Pittsburgh under Arians. I don't know what the issue is yet. But it's on my radar. Something is not quite right with our passing scheme. It feels like it's way too hard to succeed compared to other teams.

Right now, I've got too little data to figure it out.... it may take all season.... but there's a piece to this puzzle that's missing. Maybe it's just OL issues that infect everything. I don't know. But I hope to by the end of the season.

If anyone finds it, please let me know.... heck, let us ALL know...

Was wondering if this was a joke post. Needanoline63 u are putting waaaaay to much emphasis on the %. Gabbert had a great % many times last year but played horrible. He throws checkdowns almost exclusively when not handing the ball to MJD. Also throwing the ball away and living to see another play diminish the %.

OK... I gave a silly answer first....

Now, I should also give a more serious answer....

When one of the most accurate QB's in the history of college football, running a pro style offense, is having trouble completing a decent percentage of his passes, what does that tell you?

It tells me that our offense is very, very dysfunctional.

A running game that is, at best, hit and miss, due to a **terrible** run blocking OL. A passing game that is sporadic, due to a below average pass blocking OL. So many of our successful pass plays have Luck under terrible pressure, he scrambles, keep his head up, and his eyes down field, and he finds someone running around. A successful play, yes. But perhaps not the way it was drawn up to be executed.

I mentioned this last week, but it's worth repeating... anyone else notice how few receivers we have that are actually wide open catching the ball? Seems to me most of our completions come with a DB (or two) draped all over the receiver. Luck is fitting the ball into very, very tight windows.

I watch other games and receivers are finding soft spots in zone coverage, or they run plays where the receiver beats his man.

I don't see enough of that with the Colts. And I'm not sure yet what the problem is?

Are our WR's not that good? Are our pass plays not that well conceived? Hard to believe given the success of Pittsburgh under Arians. I don't know what the issue is yet. But it's on my radar. Something is not quite right with our passing scheme. It feels like it's way too hard to succeed compared to other teams.

Right now, I've got too little data to figure it out.... it may take all season.... but there's a piece to this puzzle that's missing. Maybe it's just OL issues that infect everything. I don't know. But I hope to by the end of the season.

There is no one magic answer.

Part of the problem is the OL and running game issues as you mentioned. Part of it is a young QB adjusting to the speed of the game and the defense.

I believe part of it falls on Arians shoulders because while he wants to have this exotic offense with multiple formations and motions and such, when it comes down to it, he is very predictable.

When you are throwing the ball nearly 70% of the time passing windows are going to be smaller. I don't believe teams respect the running game.

passrunrationgame42012.jpg

As I mentioned before the score can dictate the Pass to Run Ratio and each drive has it's own individuality. D&D also can dictate the direction that the offense must take. With that said, the 4 week review of the personnel groupings is still somewhat predictable.

I can guarantee you that the opponents have it charted out in far more detail than this, and can likely zone in on keys and tendencies.

ariansgrouping4games.jpg

While those are issues, I'm not certain why Luck has struggled with the short passing game.

He did better this past week and it is good that he is most accurate in the range that he throws nearly half of his passes, but it would be nice if that under 10 yard total was in the mid 60's.

lucksplitsgame4.jpg

While I believe the term unacceptable is extreme, the topic is a fair concern. It will improve over time.

Yes like if Luck really cared he would concentrate on always taking the underneath throw to help his stats regardless of down and distance so that he would look more like the #1 pick on paper.....Really is that the kinda of agreement you really expect to get with this kind of post?

Well sorry, but that's an absurd thng to focus on and If it's so unacceptable then maybe you should call for Luck's benching or you could realize that just maybe you're overreacting.

is Luck supposed to be 14 year veteran Peyton in your opinion?

No not at all and I am not expecting him to be. Was just saying that I think this is why there is so much nit picking going on about our Rookie QB. So he is not throwing accurately on every pass. Big deal. Its his 4th NFL game. He overthrows or underthrows some of his receivers. So what. He throws potential Int’s. Who doesn’t. It seems to me that I remember a certain QB we had that threw 5 or 6 in one game. He also overthrew and underthrew receivers especially over the last several years. All his passes were not on target either, otherwise we wouldn’t talk about all those circus catches by Marvin.

I feel that there is an over zealous expectation for Andrew. Just let him be the rookie that he is.

I think some are way over reacting to his post, Luck does need to get some of his passes down when throwing and when your a pass happy team when we like to think thats our bread and butter (its not) you become predictable just like Jim said

He'll get better.

But, yes let us worry about every stat, since it is so important. I would rather be 0-4 or 1-3 and Luck have perfect stats then have a few wins under our belts. Cause we all love our QB bragging right stats more then anything. /sarcasm

No not at all and I am not expecting him to be. Was just saying that I think this is why there is so much nit picking going on about our Rookie QB. So he is not throwing accurately on every pass. Big deal. Its his 4th NFL game. He overthrows or underthrows some of his receivers. So what. He throws potential Int’s. Who doesn’t. It seems to me that I remember a certain QB we had that threw 5 or 6 in one game. He also overthrew and underthrew receivers especially over the last several years. All his passes were not on target either, otherwise we wouldn’t talk about all those circus catches by Marvin.

I feel that there is an over zealous expectation for Andrew. Just let him be the rookie that he is.

agreed

This section peeked my curiosity.

So I started looking at Passes defensed/defended which is defined by stats inc as : Any pass which a defender, through contact with the football, causes to be incomplete.

The results are not very flattering. Luck has the highest % of his attempts that have been defended by a defensive player. I started out taking the top 10 based on attempts(Luck is #10 in attempts) and Luck was ranked 10th, so I wondered if it was a rookie thing(although Weeden has more attempts(5 games), and Luck was still the lowest, so I continued digging into all 33 starers(used both Tennessee QB's[i didn't use Skilton or the Redskins qb2] since htey have limited action, and Luck ended up with the highest %.

passesdefensed.jpg

Is that scheme? Is that accuracy issues? Is it more of an issue with WR/TE's? , Is it Arians' predictably? It might be a combination of each of those along with some other attributes.

Roethlisberger was in the bottom 5, and even though he has a new OC, their offense looks similar. Weeden, the other rookie with the most passing attempts is also in the bottom 5.

The top 2 QBs come from the WCO as do six of the top 10. I'm not certain that it is limited to Arians scheme because other offenses/teams often looked to have more wide open receivers over the years... Warner with the Rams/Cardinals always seemed to have guys that didn't have anyone near them. The same can be said for Brady and New England. Peyton always had much tighter windows to fit the ball into than Brady. So it might be a bit schematic but it is not exclusive to this years team.

By no means is this "stat" all on Luck but it is an interesting stat.

There is no one magic answer.

Part of the problem is the OL and running game issues as you mentioned. Part of it is a young QB adjusting to the speed of the game and the defense.

I believe part of it falls on Arians shoulders because while he wants to have this exotic offense with multiple formations and motions and such, when it comes down to it, he is very predictable.

When you are throwing the ball nearly 70% of the time passing windows are going to be smaller. I don't believe teams respect the running game.

passrunrationgame42012.jpg

As I mentioned before the score can dictate the Pass to Run Ratio and each drive has it's own individuality. D&D also can dictate the direction that the offense must take. With that said, the 4 week review of the personnel groupings is still somewhat predictable.

I can guarantee you that the opponents have it charted out in far more detail than this, and can likely zone in on keys and tendencies.

ariansgrouping4games.jpg

While those are issues, I'm not certain why Luck has struggled with the short passing game.

He did better this past week and it is good that he is most accurate in the range that he throws nearly half of his passes, but it would be nice if that under 10 yard total was in the mid 60's.

lucksplitsgame4.jpg

While I believe the term unacceptable is extreme, the topic is a fair concern. It will improve over time.

Agreed.... I think the topic is a fair concern.

And I do appreciate you breaking down the Colts offense. And these are likely many of the reasons why the Colts offense seems so dysfunctional to me. And I appreciate that the timing of this issue seems awkward given how successful we were Sunday.

Still....

I think I've seen you use a phrase from time to time here... and that is the 'eyeball test'....

Stats may say one thing.... but your eyes say another.... and I agree...

The stats say our offense looked much better Sunday. I'd agree. But there still seems to be something not quite right about it. Between your charts and other observations, I think we'll have this figured out by the end of the season, if not sooner...

Thanks again, FJC...

Let's flip it around. Luck has a better TD to INT ratio than Romo, Bradford, Stafford, Vick, Cutler, Freeman, Sanchez, Newton, Cassell, Hasselbeck, Tannenhill, Wilson, Weeden......only Drew and Eli have more Yards per game, and he has won more games than.....

Some of the posts are fair, but we can over analyse, especially so early in the season.....

Another interesting fact is that Wayne has been targeted the most of any receiver with 60 targets. The fact that he has played in once less game than some of the others on the list amplifies his #'s.

It is a bit ironic that Cutler & Luck have the two highest % of passes defensed and also have the highest concentration of balls thrown to one receiver with Marshall & Luck.

nfltargets.jpg

In looking it this it was neat to see the Falcons breakdown.

falconstargets.jpg

This section peeked my curiosity.

So I started looking at Passes defensed/defended which is defined by stats inc as : Any pass which a defender, through contact with the football, causes to be incomplete.

The results are not very flattering. Luck has the highest % of his attempts that have been defended by a defensive player. I started out taking the top 10 based on attempts(Luck is #10 in attempts) and Luck was ranked 10th, so I wondered if it was a rookie thing(although Weeden has more attempts(5 games), and Luck was still the lowest, so I continued digging into all 33 starers(used both Tennessee QB's[i didn't use Skilton or the Redskins qb2] since htey have limited action, and Luck ended up with the highest %.

passesdefensed.jpg

Is that scheme? Is that accuracy issues? Is it more of an issue with WR/TE's? , Is it Arians' predictably? It might be a combination of each of those along with some other attributes.

Roethlisberger was in the bottom 5, and even though he has a new OC, their offense looks similar. Weeden, the other rookie with the most passing attempts is also in the bottom 5.

The top 2 QBs come from the WCO as do six of the top 10. I'm not certain that it is limited to Arians scheme because other offenses/teams often looked to have more wide open receivers over the years... Warner with the Rams/Cardinals always seemed to have guys that didn't have anyone near them. The same can be said for Brady and New England. Peyton always had much tighter windows to fit the ball into than Brady. So it might be a bit schematic but it is not exclusive to this years team.

By no means is this "stat" all on Luck but it is an interesting stat.

So, if I understand you correctly (and I make no promises here) you're saying my 'eyes' are correct. My observation that it seems like our receivers are often catching the ball with DB/LB all over them is correct. And that other teams (all other teams) have more open receivers than do the Colts.

That's my take away from your comments and the chart you posted.

If that's the case, then, wow, I had no idea how right I was. Didn't expect it to be that lopsided toward the negative.

And I'd further agree with you that it's not all on Luck. I think there are a grocery list of reasons....

And it's worth keeping an eye on this as the season unfolds.

Don't know what website those stats are from, but that's a great site... thanks for taking the time...