Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jack Mewhort (Update: placed on IR)

zvich

33 minutes ago, MTC said:

Oh, jeez.

Who is that guy?

From listening to Pagano's presser, it sounds like Mewhort has had more knee operations than we know about, on both knees. So it wouldn't surprise me if he hangs it up. I said after hearing about his knee injury last year that I had questions about him long term, given the nature of the injury, and it seems like it's worse than we knew. 

That said, he has 9+ months to get ready for next season. If he wants to play, I'd be in favor of a one year deal with games played incentives. Won't be able to rely on him, either way.

Either way, this further emphasizes the need to invest in the OL next offseason. AC seems to have stabilized after a couple bad games to start the season (that's been his MO for three years now), Kelly is back, Haeg and maybe Clark will get more chances this year, but there's lots of help needed probably at both guard spots and RT, depending on how Haeg and Clark finish the season.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its crazy, it always seems like its one step forward and two steps back with the oline. It looked at the start of the season like Constanzo-Mewhort-Kelly-Haeg-Clark was going to be a solid line but here we are with Clark gone backwards, Haeg no progressing much, Mewhort on IR. Good too seems like a bad injury.

Very frustrating, the form and injuries we are getting, we've never had any consistency with this group.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Who is that guy?

From listening to Pagano's presser, it sounds like Mewhort has had more knee operations than we know about, on both knees. So it wouldn't surprise me if he hangs it up. I said after hearing about his knee injury last year that I had questions about him long term, given the nature of the injury, and it seems like it's worse than we knew. 

That said, he has 9+ months to get ready for next season. If he wants to play, I'd be in favor of a one year deal with games played incentives. Won't be able to rely on him, either way.

Either way, this further emphasizes the need to invest in the OL next offseason. AC seems to have stabilized after a couple bad games to start the season (that's been his MO for three years now), Kelly is back, Haeg and maybe Clark will get more chances this year, but there's lots of help needed probably at both guard spots and RT, depending on how Haeg and Clark finish the season.

He is the producer on 1070 AM for JMV. Maybe producer isn’t the right word but he is the guy that works with JMV

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:56 PM, akcolt said:

If Vujnovich is one of your best 5 you should be looking at other teams PS and FA's sitting on their couch. I find it hard to believe we can't find a better LG. I'm ready to see what Kalias can do. Maybe with Kelly back we get a look at other options. 

We need a G and to get healthy that doesn't call for a 1st round pick.  We will use that on a Edge. Day 2 we get a G and ILB. 

Now we are in trouble.

Can't blame Mewhort for thinking about retiring.  How many knee operations are you suppose to go through before you say enough is enough?  He is very young let's hope he can walk normally after this latest operation.   It still annoys me that we didn't sign a quality FA  OL last year.  There were quite a few that could have started for us and from what I've been reading this class of FA OL is not that great.  Ballard is really going to have his work cut out for him in trying to improve the OL this offseason.  He is going to need more help than just the draft.  He needs a veteran starter or two.  That probably only happens from a trade.  The OL has to be priority number 1 in the offseason.  We can't afford not to. 

7 minutes ago, lance_m8 said:

Does this mean we will leave swoope or good on IR hoping to bring JM back if we are contenders near the end of the season?

If he really is contemplating retirement I highly doubt anybody is even thinking about his return from IR this season. Plus have all heard the talk of his knees being the reason for his subpar play.  If the retirement rumor isn't true then who knows until more info about his knee is released.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Can't blame Mewhort for thinking about retiring.  How many knee operations are you suppose to go through before you say enough is enough?  He is very young let's hope he can walk normally after this latest operation.   It still annoys me that we didn't sign a quality FA  OL last year.  There were quite a few that could have started for us and from what I've been reading this class of FA OL is not that great.  Ballard is really going to have his work cut out for him in trying to improve the OL this offseason.  He is going to need more help than just the draft.  He needs a veteran starter or two.  That probably only happens from a trade.  The OL has to be priority number 1 in the offseason.  We can't afford not to. 

Exactly if the online worked out this year we could've had another solid defensive draft..so Ballards gonna have to work his magic but at the same time I've been for drafting at least 3 o linemen next draft anyway because I was never sold on our "availability" moreso than our actual talent 

1 minute ago, will426 said:

Exactly if the online worked out this year we could've had another solid defensive draft..so Ballards gonna have to work his magic but at the same time I've been for drafting at least 3 o linemen next draft anyway because I was never sold on our "availability" moreso than our actual talent 

They also have flexibility with about 71 million in cap space and with Justin Pugh going to be a FA I would be inclined to see if there is any interest.  

4 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I hope you take constructive criticism well, because I have a suggestion.

Could you please just "Like" a post instead of quoting it and saying "i concur"?

It's the same thing and it doesn't clog up threads with multiple posts that just say "i concur".

:please:  :thanks:

I concur !

5 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I hope you take constructive criticism well, because I have a suggestion.

Could you please just "Like" a post instead of quoting it and saying "i concur"?

It's the same thing and it doesn't clog up threads with multiple posts that just say "i concur".

:please:  :thanks:

To follow the trend

i concur

The Indianapolis Star is reporting that they expect Moncrief to reach FA this year.  If that's the case, and with Rogers returning to the lineup, maybe we should look to trade Moncrief now before the trade deadline and get a starting guard.  I think adding a veteran starting guard is more important than keeping Moncrief.   We need to protect 12.  I have to believe we could find a partner.   Should Ballard start making calls?

8 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

I definitely wouldn't re-sign him. He's just too injury prone which sucks because he's shown to be a decent linemen when healthy.

Only good thing is that offensive line has to be addressed next year with Mewhort gone, Castanzo probably gone, and Vujonich hopefully gone.

Can you explain how you came to this conclusion?       That AC is probably gone?

Did you read it somewhere that you can link,  or are you just going by the view of the members here on Colts.com.

Honestly,  the consensus view on most personnel beliefs is wrong far more than it's right....

Damn. I didn’t know Jack’s knees were that bad...  We just can’t seem to catch a break with injuries.  It’ll be interesting to see how Ballard & his staff’s O-Line picks & signings compare to Grigs’.  Regardless, it’s time to find out who the bad luck charm is in the organization and get them out of here so we can shake our injury curse.

I personally think it’s a mixture of 3 things. Grigs, Chuck, & training camp being in Anderson. We’ve corrected 2 of the 3. Now, let Ballard pick his own HC next year and let’s get back to being one of the most dominant franchises in the league...

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Who is that guy?

Just how bad is the articulating cartilage in his knee(s)?  What type of operation(s) has he had?  Microfracture? Autograft? Allograft?  Autologous chondrocyte implantation? 

18 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Just how bad is the articulating cartilage in his knee(s)?  What type of operation(s) has he had?  Microfracture? Autograft? Allograft?  Autologous chondrocyte implantation? 

I'm not aware that anyone here would know the answers to your questions.    I've never seen that level of detail released on this site.

If I'm wrong, and I might be,  I'm sure someone will come along with new details.

8 hours ago, lance_m8 said:

Does this mean we will leave swoope or good on IR hoping to bring JM back if we are contenders near the end of the season?

I don't think bringing Mewhort toward the end of this season is anymore likely than me going out with Kate Upton this Friday. He's scheduled for knee surgery and word is he's not sure he can EVER return to the game. 

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I don't think bringing Mewhort toward the end of this season is anymore likely than me going out with Kate Upton this Friday.

I certainly hope not.

I have it on good authority from various members of this forum that not only will Jack be healthy for the game this Monday night, but Kate Upton is going out with ME this Friday.

:P

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I certainly hope not.

I have it on good authority from various members of this forum that not only will Jack be healthy for the game this Monday night, but Kate Upton is going out with ME this Friday.

Yep, I set them up. Kate is doing me the favor so Mewhort will come up when we make a playoff appearance! :thmup:

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Can you explain how you came to this conclusion?       That AC is probably gone?

Did you read it somewhere that you can link,  or are you just going by the view of the members here on Colts.com.

Honestly,  the consensus view on most personnel beliefs is wrong far more than it's right....

It's just my personal opinion. He's going on 30 and is an average player to me that is not worth top LT money. We may be forced to keep him though so there are less positions to address. If he signs for less it would make it even better.

I guess I should have used "possibly" instead of "probably".

EDIT: For some reason I thought Castanzo was a FA at the end of the year... so forget what I said about him going.

4 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I certainly hope not.

While you all were fighting over Kate Upton, I snuck out on a date with Kate Mara 

2 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

It's just my personal opinion. He's going on 30 and is an average player to me that is not worth top LT money. We may be forced to keep him though so there are less positions to address. If he signs for less it would make it even better.

I guess I should have used "possibly" instead of "probably".

EDIT: For some reason I thought Castanzo was a FA at the end of the year... so forget what I said about him going.

Thanks....    

Makes sense in the context that you thought AC was a soon to be FA.

I appreciate the explanation.