Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Castonzo "cuttable"?

Pacergeek

I don't know about the workings of the salary cap, and the ramifications of cutting an expensive player under contract. What I do know is that Canstonzo has played like crap for two seasons. Seems like the kind of player that played hard as a younger prospect, played well, and earned the pay raise. Once getting the big contract, Anthony believes that he has "made it" and doesn't play with the same level of intensity. Because Anthony has made it in the NFL, there are no consequences when he screws up, because he is the "franchise" LT. There is nobody waiting in the wings to take his spot. The issues on this offensive line starts with our leader, and that guy is Castonzo. How can the other guys play well when our best lineman gives up 3 sacks? It matters giving up sacks when you are paid handsomely to protect the QB. It is not "OK" to be responsible for your QB getting crushed. We need lineman that are * off, and more importantly, hungry to get out there and play good football. This is what drives me crazy about how the Colts are presently run, there aren't consequences for horrible play. Trent Richardson continued to play after it was known he sucked. Bill Belichick wouldn't tolerate his starting LT getting routinely beaten, and would find someone hungry that could get the job done. This really sucks, because I honestly don't think there is another guy on the roster that can challenge Anthony for starting LT, and we are stuck with this guy. There isn't any "Charlie Johnson" kind of lineman on this roster

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the deal.

When Castanzo was at the combine, before he was drafted in 2011, before we went 2-14, Jeff Saturday was on NFL Network. When asked to comment on Castanzo, he said he moves his feet like a right tackle. 

I don't know about you but I'd give that some thought. Joe Reitz has played LT and so has Joe Haeg, he is a 4 year starter. It may not be a bad idea for such an extreme measure. Ravens shuffled their OL big time before going on their playoff run with Flacco playing like Montana untouched due to his OL holding up against the best. 

The season is still early. As far as cutting him, you are not going to find an adequate replacement in the market. Damaged goods like Russell Okung were in demand for the Broncos, so why the heck should we even consider cutting Castanzo? That would be a knee jerk reaction, something experienced GMs do not make. Shuffling the OL or giving a pep talk, that can surely be done, and probably needs to be done, IMO.

5 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

What I do know is that Canstonzo has played like crap for two seasons. 

Has it been 2 years or 1 year and 3 preseason games?

Truly asking not trying to trip you up.  I dont have the NFL package anymore so dont get to break down the games last 3 years like i used to.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Here is the deal.

When Castanzo was at the combine, before he was drafted in 2011, before we went 2-14, Jeff Saturday was on NFL Network. When asked to comment on Castanzo, he said he moves his feet like a right tackle. 

I don't know about you but I'd give that some thought. Joe Reitz has played LT and so has Joe Haeg, he is a 4 year starter. It may not be a bad idea for such an extreme measure. Ravens shuffled their OL big time before going on their playoff run with Flacco playing like Montana untouched due to his OL holding up against the best. 

The season is still early. As far as cutting him, you are not going to find an adequate replacement in the market. Damaged goods like Russell Okung were in demand for the Broncos, so why the heck should we even consider cutting Castanzo? That would be a knee jerk reaction, something experienced GMs do not make. Shuffling the OL or giving a pep talk, that can surely be done, and probably needs to be done, IMO.

I have always thought the same thing but never believed they would do it.

Is our anchor who just signed a big contract who has played very well besides last year when he was injured cuttable? Really? You really wonder why people on here think that your a joke? I guess troll is nicer but this is just such an asinine question I mean come on man. If luck throws a pick in the first game are you going to demand a new qb? I've said it before and I'll sau it again, why don't you just stay a pacers fan and quit trolling the forum?

No.     We are NOT cutting Castanzo.       We just signed him to a NEW contact one year ago.

So,  the Dead Cap money would be huge.      We have to coach him up and get him back to his previous level of play.

We're not cutting him.     Get the thought out of your head.

3 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I actually think that is a really good idea.  Move him to RG and put someone else in at left.  

Can it get any worse?  

They kept TR playing for 2 years when he was worthless.  Let's not make the same mistake twice.

Except Costanzo isn't worthless. He's played very well for 4 years and has a down year. Get a grip.

3 minutes ago, twfish said:

Except Costanzo isn't worthless. He's played very well for 4 years and has a down year. Get a grip.

You simply cannot have your left tackle playing below average.  It is one of the most important positions on the team with a right handed qb.  

One year is enough.  One year and into the next?  More than enough.

1 minute ago, threeflight said:

You simply cannot have your left tackle playing below average.  It is one of the most important positions on the team with a right handed qb.  

To be fair we aren't into the "next", this is still preseason and the line is implementing a new blocking system and play book. If you judge AC based off of 3 preseason games, I am curious as to what else you prejudge.

Just now, threeflight said:

I don't beleive Costanzo had a below average year last year. Average I think he's played above average the rest of the year. Your really going to let pre season dictate your opinion? You know they hardly game plan right? Wait until the regular season guys Jesus all we are watching is televised practices.

3 minutes ago, twfish said:

I don't beleive Costanzo had a below average year last year. Average I think he's played above average the rest of the year. Your really going to let pre season dictate your opinion? You know they hardly game plan right? Wait until the regular season guys Jesus all we are watching is televised practices.

I can agree with that, but at the same time, I don't like the signs I am seeing.

I am a stock daytrader and I follow chart trends a lot.  Once a stock hits  downward or upward trend, it takes a lot to break out of that.  He is for sure in a downword bearish trend, and I don't see any real signs that he is going to break out of it anytime soon.

30 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I am a stock daytrader and I follow chart trends a lot.  Once a stock hits  downward or upward trend, it takes a lot to break out of that.  He is for sure in a downword bearish trend, and I don't see any real signs that he is going to break out of it anytime soon.

Completely and totally irrelevant. 

Seriously, does Castonzo face any consequences if he gives up 3 sacks vs Detroit? Nothing will happen. Pagano will say he did a good job trying, and they will roll him out again next week. At which point do we try something different? Colts play like crap, and the players do not get demoted. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't want to see Castonzo get beat every single week, and maybe think about replacing him mid-season. It is priority that AC comes out the gate playing well starting Week 1. No more sacks. Show some leadership to the younger players on the line. I'm starting to thing our best offensive lineman is this Kelly, and he is a Rookie lol. 

3 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Seriously, does Castonzo face any consequences if he gives up 3 sacks vs Detroit? Nothing will happen. Pagano will say he did a good job trying, and they will roll him out again next week. At which point do we try something different? Colts play like crap, and the players do not get demoted. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't want to see Castonzo get beat every single week, and maybe think about replacing him mid-season. It is priority that AC comes out the gate playing well starting Week 1. No more sacks. Show some leadership to the younger players on the line. I'm starting to thing our best offensive lineman is this Kelly, and he is a Rookie lol. 

When Luck throws 3 or more interceptions in a game, you are going to start a thread demanding consequences, right? Don't wanna be a hypocrite do you?  

This is getting downright crazy now

as bad as some think the OL is, maybe cut them all and just add 2 more wr, a rb, a te, and a 2nd QB  ON THE FIELD:

lets see Belichek stop THAT!

sheesh

and you guys thought my "jeff george syndrome" post was nuts?  How do you like me now?

3 hours ago, twfish said:

Wait until the regular season guys Jesus all we are watching is televised practices.

I can't believe how many don't understand this. Hey we lost a scrimmage let's cut our starting LT. That's what the hoodie would do...  

5 hours ago, akcolt said:

I can't believe how many don't understand this. Hey we lost a scrimmage let's cut our starting LT. That's what the hoodie would do...  

I don't believe its that we lost that's causing the concern, we lost last week also and we didn't see all this panic. I think it's more that once again we looked unprepared. This was the preseason game where the starters play significant minutes. This was the game where you should get a feel for what the team is going to look like. This was the game you do some game planning for. This was the one game you wanted to look crisp in. Winning doesn't matter, but you definitely want to be competitive. We were none of those things. And if you look at the presser afterwards Pagano genuinely seemed at a loss for a reason why we played so poorly. I think it's these things that people fell are a trend with this organization lately and the reason for the insane level of panic you see reflected in the forums. People are proud to be colts fans. Most of us went through the lean pre-harbaugh years and have come to expect the colts to be a dominant part of the NFL. And while we have had great success, winning 11 games most seasons and making it back to the AFC title game I don't think anyone can seriously say we've been dominant.  In the past you could have the jags run for like 300 yards on you and still feel like the team had a legitimate shot at the title. Now I think people would be more inclined to expect to get ran all over again the next week. It's not like this is a browns forum, where we are all giddy to get a win. This team and this fan base have come to expect dominance,  and when we are repeatedly getting dominated it pushes some fans to the extreme. I saw on NFL network yesterday an over under on whether Luck has more sacks than TD's. To me this is simply unacceptable, and makes me want to do something to change that, but as a fan all we can really do is get on the forum and freak out...lol..maybe its some guys job in the organization to care about those things...Irsay was real quick to get the word out that Mewhort isn't down for the season , and I believe that's because like us he feels this thing slipping. It is his product after all and I can't imagine the man not having pride in it.

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

Here is the deal.

I've thought about this a few times and like this idea. 

A lot. 

5 minutes ago, SVFD Colts Fan said:

Everybody is worried about losing preseason games. Just remember  we were 0-4 in the preseason when we won the super bowl.  Castanzo will be fine.  When you learn a new scheme it takes a little time. The sky is not falling!

We also went 0-4 during the Pre-season in 2014 and then went on to go 11-5 and make the AFC Title Game without Robert Mathis. I am surprised nobody even thinks about this? Pre-season is meaningless.

17 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

I don't believe its that we lost that's causing the concern, we lost last week also and we didn't see all this panic. I think it's more that once again we looked unprepared. This was the preseason game where the starters play significant minutes. This was the game where you should get a feel for what the team is going to look like. This was the game you do some game planning for. This was the one game you wanted to look crisp in. Winning doesn't matter, but you definitely want to be competitive. We were none of those things. And if you look at the presser afterwards Pagano genuinely seemed at a loss for a reason why we played so poorly. I think it's these things that people fell are a trend with this organization lately and the reason for the insane level of panic you see reflected in the forums. People are proud to be colts fans. Most of us went through the lean pre-harbaugh years and have come to expect the colts to be a dominant part of the NFL. And while we have had great success, winning 11 games most seasons and making it back to the AFC title game I don't think anyone can seriously say we've been dominant.  In the past you could have the jags run for like 300 yards on you and still feel like the team had a legitimate shot at the title. Now I think people would be more inclined to expect to get ran all over again the next week. It's not like this is a browns forum, where we are all giddy to get a win. This team and this fan base have come to expect dominance,  and when we are repeatedly getting dominated it pushes some fans to the extreme. I saw on NFL network yesterday an over under on whether Luck has more sacks than TD's. To me this is simply unacceptable, and makes me want to do something to change that, but as a fan all we can really do is get on the forum and freak out...lol..maybe its some guys job in the organization to care about those things...Irsay was real quick to get the word out that Mewhort isn't down for the season , and I believe that's because like us he feels this thing slipping. It is his product after all and I can't imagine the man not having pride in it.

Did our starters play big. minutes? The OL started 2 rookies and a 2nd yr guy playing a position he's just learning. We are down to starting CB's who won't be on the roster in 2 weeks. We didn't play healthy starters on both sides of the ball. Get a grip. how about we see what happens vs Lions. I have been a Colts fan since 84 when they came to town with Pagel under center not that it has anything to do with anything preseason games meant nothing then either When have we ever done well in the preseason? This one was pretty successful no one is on the IR you should be pleased and hold of judgement until the season starts. 

11 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

I don't know about the workings of the salary cap, and the ramifications of cutting an expensive player under contract. What I do know is that Canstonzo has played like crap for two seasons. Seems like the kind of player that played hard as a younger prospect, played well, and earned the pay raise. Once getting the big contract, Anthony believes that he has "made it" and doesn't play with the same level of intensity. Because Anthony has made it in the NFL, there are no consequences when he screws up, because he is the "franchise" LT. There is nobody waiting in the wings to take his spot. The issues on this offensive line starts with our leader, and that guy is Castonzo. How can the other guys play well when our best lineman gives up 3 sacks? It matters giving up sacks when you are paid handsomely to protect the QB. It is not "OK" to be responsible for your QB getting crushed. We need lineman that are * off, and more importantly, hungry to get out there and play good football. This is what drives me crazy about how the Colts are presently run, there aren't consequences for horrible play. Trent Richardson continued to play after it was known he sucked. Bill Belichick wouldn't tolerate his starting LT getting routinely beaten, and would find someone hungry that could get the job done. This really sucks, because I honestly don't think there is another guy on the roster that can challenge Anthony for starting LT, and we are stuck with this guy. There isn't any "Charlie Johnson" kind of lineman on this roster

You have a better chance of seeing a donkey fly than you do of seeing Castonzo cut. 

No Castanzo isn't "cuttable"

He has 18.2 Million Dollars of guaranteed money and it would cost us 8.4 M against the cap to cut him.  So it would be a net cap loss not a savings.

On top of that it's just stupid.  Who you going to find that's better at this point?  

Let's wait to see what happens in the regular season before we start deciding to throw him under the bus.  

9 hours ago, Jason_S said:

When Luck throws 3 or more interceptions in a game, you are going to start a thread demanding consequences, right? Don't wanna be a hypocrite do you?  

Do you notice that this guy never directly addresses a post that challenges his assertions?  It can only mean 1) he is trolling or 2) the quote button is too challenging.  Either case is no bueno.

To be blunt, he is cuttable. He hasn't quite performed up to par since we signed him to a deal last year. I recently ranked all starting left tackles in the league and Castonzo was at 18/32. Not good for big money. Am I saying we should cut him? No, of course not. The repercussions of that would be huge (Dead money), and he's still a better option than anyone currently on the market. If we end up with a better option in a few years (and if he hasn't proven he's worth nearly $11,000,000 a year since) when he's set to become a free agent, I see no need to keep him.