Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Former Colt Safety Laron Landry didn't want anything to do with multiple Colts teammates

TKnight24

Not surprised, Landry seems like a stand offish kinda dude, Work hard but keeps to himself. Some people are just wired that way for different reasons. Indications seem to be Landry was a decent dude, Outside of the steroids I don't recall him being in the news for off field drama at any point in his entire career college or pro, I wish him the best with whatever he decides to do going forward after his suspension

People just don't get me.....(kisses biceps)

Kidding of course. He never anticipated the way you want a player to see the game, and Bethea could have taught him a few things about wrapping up. However, he did play hard. I wish him well as he moves on.

That's one thing that rubbed me the wrong way. He wasn't a team guy. Same with Trent. Me guys who weren't team first. Luck, Wayne, Mathis, redding, patty all team guys you can tell how they interact with teammates.

Eh, this could of been easily speculated based off this tweet:

Reggie Wayne on Laron Landry: "He is kind of a guy that sits by himself. We're not gonna judge. I'll just keep a question mark on my face."

— Jake Query (@jakequery)

September 30, 2014

So what you're saying is that you didn't click on the link. 

People just don't get me.....(kisses biceps)

Kidding of course. He never anticipated the way you want a player to see the game, and Bethea could have taught him a few things about wrapping up. However, he did play hard. I wish him well as he moves on.

Bethea wrapping up?

:funny:

:spit:

:lol:

It's funny because I didn't want him on the team. Dude is lousy.

I wish we could find the threads when we signed him....a lot of people said he was going hit people thinking he was the best thing since sliced bread.  I had known him and had not seen him playing...never have been interested in the Jets.

Bethea's last year here he was awful in coverage but the guy was always one of the best tackling safeties in the league, and before that year was an excellent cover man as well..

???? He was a solid tackler and wrapped up. He was much better when he was young. He was fantastic at making tackles in the open field. Can you explain your though process TK??? :bored:

Your memory of Bethea over his career?

:funny:

Bethea's career as a colt yes he was solid but his last year here he was awful. Wasn't it him that missed the wide open sack on Alex Smith in the playoff game? He had some pretty bad missed tackles his last year here

Bethea's career as a colt yes he was solid but his last year here he was awful. Wasn't it him that missed the wide open sack on Alex Smith in the playoff game? He had some pretty bad missed tackles his last year here

So you judge him on a couple of plays? OK, it seems your memory is fading.

So you judge him on a couple of plays? OK, it seems your memory is fading.

Bethea was decent but really nothing great. Was not a consistent play maker, Prior to going to San Fran he made 28 plays on the ball his last 3 years here....That's in 48 games played though and only 3 of those were ints, For a 6th round pick he did turn out well,

Bethea's last year here he was awful in coverage but the guy was always one of the best tackling safeties in the league, and before that year was an excellent cover man as well..

Part of his problem was injuries to others in the secondary and some missing the assignments and him trying to cover those mistakes.

Bethea was decent but really nothing great. Was not a consistent play maker, Prior to going to San Fran he made 28 plays on the ball his last 3 years here....That's in 48 games played though and only 3 of those were ints, For a 6th round pick he did turn out well,

I know but it was suggested he was total crap. He had is moments where he did play well. IMO nagging injuries kept him from being and looking better. Like you said, a 6th round player. I think the Colts got more out of him than expected.

Furthermore he didn't want much to do with doing the job he was paid for , what a waste.

No kidding maybe he should give his money to..Yeah I see happening. He didn't want to do his job but I bet he wanted paid the millions he got paid. There should be clauses in contract that says if you don't do you job at the best of your ability then we get your money back just saying!

I know but it was suggested he was total crap. He had is moments where he did play well. IMO nagging injuries kept him from being and looking better. Like you said, a 6th round player. I think the Colts got more out of him than expected.

I think a variety of factors were involved, Scheme, Outside of Bob Sanders Bethea never really had a good Safety next to him and Bob Sanders on the field with Bethea was rare, Bethea also was drafted into a Cover 2 scheme FROM a Cover 2 scheme he played in college...so he ended having to learn a new defense with the regime change, Bethea was never really one to jump a route either

Love how a "Landry was a poor teammate" thread has turned into a "bash Bethea" thread...

Bethea way out played his draft position and was a solid player. When he was surrounded by better players in the secondary he played at a pro-bowl level, Bethea played a very prominent role in the Colts SB run just his rookie season, so I got nothin' but respect for the guy...

Right you are. Not to mention he had a very good year with SF. I sure as heck miss him.

Sorry, but  your lack of respect for Bethea, is really sad. I'll keep my opinion, you keep yours. Are all players to be judged by their final comparisons? If someone said that Joe Montana was a great QB, is it necessary to chime in with how bad his last few years were? Where does that logic even come from?

I'll say it again, because it is still true...Bethea could teach Landry some things about tackling. That is because over his career, Bethea was one of the best tacklers at his position. Textbook fundamentals.