Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Luck Struggles Early..?

vinatierifan4

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If luck struggles early on, i'll be OK with that. He is a rookie and he is due a learning curve.

Now, do I fully expect him to blow the lid off of every rookie record? (Except rushing TD's Cam has that forever) Yes, yes I do, but if he doesn't I'm OK with it. Still the expectation exists.

I'm not concerned about Luck himself struggling. I am concerned that our O-Line doesn't give him enough time to get passes off, or makes him move out of the pocket too much. I just don't want to see him get banged up.

I don't think anyone seriously expects much out of the team this year, five or six wins would be great. Just keep improving.

Depends on what the OP's expectations are for Luck, I dont expect Him to have a Cam Newton rookie year or likely not even a Peyton Manning like rookie year, the reason why......Luck will be on the run his fair share, Got to have an O Line first before we start having outrageous expectations

If Luck struggles consistently (obviously he'll struggle at times, he's a rookie) it'll be more down to the o-line. No QB in the world would be good if he's sacked by the time he receives the snap!

I feel that if Luck struggles, Grigson should call Bill Polian and get Kerry Collins on speed dial. :) ....URRGH.

Seriously, Luck will struggle against great defenses. Houston comes to mind, but Williams and Ryans are gone, and the big boy up front is hurt (JJ Watt dislocated left elbow)

I look at what Dalton and Newton did last year......and I just do not see him having a bad year unless as some have said he gets injured.

Well No one is going to give up on the kid if that is what you are asking. We have WAY to much invested in him. I think he will have his battles. Good games and bad games but he is only going to excel if the line holds up. I know he has pocket presence from watching his college tapes. Unless he just freaks at a level never seen before he will be all right. I expect more like Sam Bradford numbers and rookie season where you can see he has ability...but he just needs more help...in this case the OL. If he just loses it...and performs like Gabbert....I would be freaking...because that wasn't pretty last year. I know he took some hits but that kid was SCARED...and I don't know how you over come that except by just giving him max protection. Once teams saw how he reacted to the blitz....it was over for him. Can he rebound this year and get better....sure...and same would go for Luck but I don't see that in Andrew. Ups and downs...a few rookie of the weeks and some wins....but I'm not expecting records or Car/Couch either.

I said earlier this year that Luck will have a better rookie year than Peyton. He will have less picks higher completion rating and more wins,, I also think he will have more TD's. .. He has a quick release like Peyton, more athletic as far as running.. and reads the defenses like Peyton did in his rookie year( possibly better as rookie vs rookie). He doesn't seem to have the Lazer throw that Peyton has, but I do believe that will come with experience, coaching & training.

If Luck struggles early in the season, kind of like Blaine Gabbert did last year, when do you think it'd be time to panic, if at all this year?

Well.... it's a big 'if'....

But, I'll say this..... **IF** Luck does not do well, this is how I see Colt's Nation reacting....

(Please Click Link)

Who is the center for Luck? Just wondering as I saw Jeff Saturday walking to practice from Lambeau Field. Was unable to get his autograph but will try again this Saturday before practice.

Getting Jeff Saturday's autograph on a Saturday? That's Ironic IMO :lol:

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 7, 2012 - inflammatory
Hidden by Nadine, August 7, 2012 - inflammatory

Depends on what the OP's expectations are for Luck, I dont expect Him to have a Cam Newton rookie year or likely not even a Peyton Manning like rookie year, the reason why......Luck will be on the run his fair share, Got to have an O Line first before we start having outrageous expectations

Beat that horse Gavin.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 7, 2012 - personal argument
Hidden by Nadine, August 7, 2012 - personal argument

Beat that horse Gavin.

Im beginning to think you have either A. Strange invatuation with beating horses or B. Or like singling me out because unlike many here I am not so 100 percent positive about our O Line, in case A I recommend a psychiatrist, In case B do a little research of a couple of these O Linemens track records, and before you say 'get over it and that what they have done in the past is just that The Past, to that I would say your right except often times (not all cases) a players past performance when consistently done is more often then not telling of what they will do in the future, especially when you have been given several chances to establish yourself just like Mcglynn and Justice have
Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 7, 2012 - inflammatory
Hidden by Nadine, August 7, 2012 - inflammatory

Im beginning to think you have either A. Strange invatuation with beating horses or B. Or like singling me out because unlike many here I am not so 100 percent positive about our O Line, in case A I recommend a psychiatrist, In case B do a little research of a couple of these O Linemens track records, and before you say 'get over it and that what they have done in the past is just that The Past, to that I would say your right except often times (not all cases) a players past performance when consistently done is more often then not telling of what they will do in the future, especially when you have been given several chances to establish yourself just like Mcglynn and Justice have

We all get that you think the O-Line will not be good. No need to post your opinion over and over and over and over and over and over......................get it. Just stop................please. WE all know what you think............let them play a game or 3.............

You can't use Gabbert & Luck in the Same Sentence. One is a Franchise Player. The other is just a Guy who Panics in the Pocket and won't be any Good. You decide who's name goes by which Description

I feel that if Luck struggles, Grigson should call Bill Polian and get Kerry Collins on speed dial. :) ....URRGH.

Seriously, Luck will struggle against great defenses. Houston comes to mind, but Williams and Ryans are gone, and the big boy up front is hurt (JJ Watt dislocated left elbow)

I look at what Dalton and Newton did last year......and I just do not see him having a bad year unless as some have said he gets injured.

If he struggles early he'll be right on track. Seriously guys.

Gabbert operated in the spread/shotgun primarily in college whereas Luck took the vast majority of snaps under center. You're right TK85. Luck knows what to expect on a NFL field. Gabbert, on the hand, was just lost period.

Yes Brent, Wade Philips and Rex Ryan will probably outwit LUCK this year especially with overload blitz packages where the o-line can't pick everyone up, let alone determine who the real pass rusher is. I am torn too because I love JJ Watt, a Badger alumni, but his absence will certainly take pressure off Luck.

Vance, you are 100% correct. Luck learned from his dad in Houston not to get rattled easily, fight all 4 quarters, and just focus on grinding out a victory any way you can get it...muddy, bloody, slow, and consistent.

If Luck struggles early in the season, kind of like Blaine Gabbert did last year, when do you think it'd be time to panic, if at all this year?

This is a new team with a rookie quarterback, so they (not only Luck) may struggle early in this season, and this wouldn't be a reason to panic. Part of learning process and establishing chemistry.

There is a lot of pain for us before success.

God, not this again. Williams and Ryans leaving was overblown 6 months ago, and the horse is way past pulverized. We were a better defense without Mario and Ryans was a leader yes, but out of place in the system. And Watt will be smashing Dolphins on opening day without problems.

God, not this again. Williams and Ryans leaving was overblown 6 months ago, and the horse is way past pulverized. We were a better defense without Mario and Ryans was a leader yes, but out of place in the system. And Watt will be smashing Dolphins on opening day without problems.

JJ Watt is a bull rush BEAST!!! Even with an injured elbow and 1 good arm, the man WON'T BE DENIED!!! Boo Ya!!! I bleeping LOVE Watt Man!!! :thmup:

No need to panic at any stage regardless of Luck's expected ups and downs. We ride this is out as we did when Peyton came in to the NFL. There will be highs, there will be lows but we must have faith in our next Great QB. The situation Andrew walks in is closer to that of what Troy Aikman walked in to as opposed to Manning. It will be a season of growing pains.

I think we will know what we have right from the start. Struggles aside, you can generally tell if a QB will be able to reach that next step or just bust. FYI i wanted RG3, I think after week 6 we will see that without oversized tight ends, Luck will lack the arm to come up big for us. I dont want to sound negative, but I just do not have a "lucky" feeling regarding Luck.

First Luck will have a much better season then PM did his rookie year due to the fact he does(Luck) have more pieces around him I understand that most are rookies or high end draft picks but let talk O-line. Ok gavin yes the o-line might not be as good as some of us would like but can you really set back and talk as if they will be worst this year then last year, I mean did you really watch any games from last year cause if you did you would know that out of 14 games, 14 cause we won two, we had a chance to win 8 out of the 14. That was with bad QBs under center and a very bad O-line

Browns L 19-27

Steelers L 20-23

Buccaneers L 17-24

Chiefs L 24-28

Bangals L 17-27

Panthers L 19-27

Patriots L 24-31

Jaguars L 13-19

Justice,McGlynn and Satele may not be the best at their positions but there is no doubt they are a huge upgrade then what we had last year regardless of their past.

I think we will know what we have right from the start. Struggles aside, you can generally tell if a QB will be able to reach that next step or just bust. FYI i wanted RG3, I think after week 6 we will see that without oversized tight ends, Luck will lack the arm to come up big for us. I dont want to sound negative, but I just do not have a "lucky" feeling regarding Luck.

Man you sound like one of the analyst before a draft making something up cause you cant find a flaw come on Luck used TEs cause he didnt have any real good wide outs that could stay healthy

I think I called Houston a great defense.....and mentioned no other team :) Watt IS a beast. What starts as a a dislocated elbow can get worse...especially if he is being a hero doing push ups already. BTW, any successful team that loses a leader has lost a big part of the team. I hope Watt hits the Dolphins hard on opening day...and stays healthy. I like him as well. :)

Gabbert operated in the spread/shotgun primarily in college whereas Luck took the vast majority of snaps under center. You're right TK85. Luck knows what to expect on a NFL field. Gabbert, on the hand, was just lost period.

Yes Brent, Wade Philips and Rex Ryan will probably outwit LUCK this year especially with overload blitz packages where the o-line can't pick everyone up, let alone determine who the real pass rusher is. I am torn too because I love JJ Watt, a Badger alumni, but his absence will certainly take pressure off Luck.

Vance, you are 100% correct. Luck learned from his dad in Houston not to get rattled easily, fight all 4 quarters, and just focus on grinding out a victory any way you can get it...muddy, bloody, slow, and consistent.

Im with you Brother,however if he has the grasp on this offense as they say he does,he should be able to audable to compensate,the key here is how he reads the D .IMO Luck will be just fine,but he will have a learning curb.