Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Luck Struggles Early..?

vinatierifan4

There will be moments of struggling.

And there will be moments of non struggling.

Don't try to get too high with the highs or low with the lows....which is going to be very hard as people spend a lot of time analzying preseason games and every move every guy on this team makes starting THIS weekend.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FJC - I often see you post stuff like this, the "bringing people back down to earth" style posts (this isn't an insult) and just wondered - how well do you think Luck will do in his rookie season and how good a career do you think he'll have? Posts like yours can often be misconstrued as negative and I was just wondering what your actual, fuller viewpoint is on Andrew outside of "he's done nothing in the NFL".

I was just stating some facts, not trying to rain on anyone's August preseason Championship parades.

All things considered I have high expectations. Some will argue they are too high, but you don't throw away the greatest the game has seen for mediocre or average. So in my point of view you have to have high expectations.

Keep in mind that the league average for a teams passing game last season stats-wise was 327/544 3675 23 td 16 int.

The trio that the Colts put out there last year had 3200+ and 14 td's.

In this day and age 4k isn't too much to ask for. 25 to 30 total TD"s shouldn't be a back breaker. 63/64% shouldn't be beyond approach.

So while I am not smitten or drooling over him,or involved in a fluff fest or off skipping into the sunlight, I do expect big things from him.

Is he the best I've ever seen? No, he sure isn't. Obviously that is speaking to college, but it will be nice to see him outside of the WCO offense which amplifies every QB that runs a form of it. Do I see Peyton Manning when I watch him on film? Nope, I sure don't.

Career? Too many things can happen from season to season to talk about a career in year 1. I certainly won't say that he will be here in 15 years like some have it set in stone. Could he? Of course. Will he? Time will tell. I guess that is a way of saying I don't have him in a gold jacket or 3 rings on his fingers like some do at this point. If he and the rest of the team in any given season remains healthy and has a visit or two from lady luck anything is possible...

If that is negative then so be it. I'll continue to call em as I see em, and just go from there.

Keep in mind that the league average for a teams passing game last season stats-wise was 327/544 3675 23 td 16 int.

The trio that the Colts put out there last year had 3200+ and 14 td's.

In this day and age 4k isn't too much to ask for. 25 to 30 total TD"s shouldn't be a back breaker. 63/64% shouldn't be beyond approach.

You basically expect him to have one of the three best rookie seasons of all time, and for his numbers to be on par with average veteran quarterbacks.

Why can't he have a normal rookie season and still be considered a really good prospect?

What if he goes for 3500 yards, 60% completions, 21 TD, 18 interceptions, but we win 8 games?

You basically expect him to have one of the three best rookie seasons of all time, and for his numbers to be on par with average veteran quarterbacks.

Why can't he have a normal rookie season and still be considered a really good prospect?

What if he goes for 3500 yards, 60% completions, 21 TD, 18 interceptions, but we win 8 games?

Yes and no. I expect him to be better than the average NFL QB, but yes I expect him to have one of the best individual rookie seasons ever. That kinda comes up with the territory.

According to everyone and their sister he isn't a normal rookie, so a normal rookie season would be a disappointment.

Then one or more of the running backs have put up an outstanding year or the defense is Ravenesque from the start, and at that point a number of other QBs could put up those #'s so at that point one could question a number of what if scenarios. Those scenarios aren't going to vanish.

It is what it is. Maybe my big picture is bigger than others.

Manning first year went 3 and 13. Luck is not sitting the bench listening to a great QB giving him advice as if Manning was on the team. Put him in and keep him in. We are not, repeat not going anywhere this year of learning. Half the team is wearing a Colt uniform for the first time. It might be brutal to watch if his line cannot protect him like David Carr suffered with the Texans. He is a big guy and mature enough to know what is coming. He is our future and the future starts on opening day.

"We will be great

We will be triumphant

We will know glory

We will be champions of the world"

It is what it is. Maybe my big picture is bigger than others.

Perhaps, but I don't think his first season is all that important when it comes to the big picture. It's going to take more than one year to show whether he's as good as advertised.

I do expect him to show why he is so highly rated as a prospect, but I don't expect him to be a top 10 or even top 15 quarterback in his first year. The numbers you expect would place him very firmly in the top half of the league, maybe even the top third. As a rookie. Based on 2011 stats, he'd be 11th in yardage, 7th in completion percentage, 6th-10th in touchdowns. In some respects, that's a better season than Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Matt Ryan, etc.

We've discussed this before. I expect him to show his stuff, but your numbers are gaudy for a rookie quarterback. And perhaps you're not ready to criticize the decision to make him the man if he falls short of those numbers, but it really makes one wonder. He's a very highly rated prospect, and everyone is talking about how advanced he seems to be at this stage of the game, but I think it's unreasonable to expect him to perform like a 4th year vet -- and an above average one at that -- regardless of how impressed Tony Dungy and other media members are with him.

Perhaps, but I don't think his first season is all that important when it comes to the big picture. It's going to take more than one year to show whether he's as good as advertised.

I do expect him to show why he is so highly rated as a prospect, but I don't expect him to be a top 10 or even top 15 quarterback in his first year. The numbers you expect would place him very firmly in the top half of the league, maybe even the top third. As a rookie. Based on 2011 stats, he'd be 11th in yardage, 7th in completion percentage, 6th-10th in touchdowns. In some respects, that's a better season than Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Matt Ryan, etc.

We've discussed this before. I expect him to show his stuff, but your numbers are gaudy for a rookie quarterback. And perhaps you're not ready to criticize the decision to make him the man if he falls short of those numbers, but it really makes one wonder. He's a very highly rated prospect, and everyone is talking about how advanced he seems to be at this stage of the game, but I think it's unreasonable to expect him to perform like a 4th year vet -- and an above average one at that -- regardless of how impressed Tony Dungy and other media members are with him.

Again, all things consider I do expect him to be in the top half (top 16), Top 10 for that matter.

My numbers might be gaudy for a rookie quarterback, but they aren't gaudy for the quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts which is exactly what he is.

Decisions of this magnitude will be analyzed, criticized and dissected. A concept that I didn't create.

Of course there are various ways to define "Big Picture".

Again, all things consider I do expect him to be in the top half (top 16), Top 10 for that matter.

My numbers might be gaudy for a rookie quarterback, but they aren't gaudy for the quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts which is exactly what he is.

Decisions of this magnitude will be analyzed, criticized and dissected. A concept that I didn't create.

Of course there are various ways to define "Big Picture".

I agree with you FJC .I fully expect him to be a top 15 to top 10 and expect him to be productive,meaning more tds than picks,any less and hes a bust,but in all honesty i cant see him failing