Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Bucs post game reaction

GoColts8818

This game had it all. From questioning Steichen's clock management, through scratching your eyes out at Bradley's "prevent defense", some really smart playcalling by Steichen to some savvy plays by JT!

What a win.

The Good

• Clutch defensive plays when it mattered.
  • JT with an excellent game on limited snaps.
  • Moss with a great game too.
  • Pittman had a day!
  • Steichen with some clutch play calls.
  • Great debut for Harrison.
  • Minshew had a few clutch runs.

The Bad

• "Prevent" defense. Some one take that off Bradley's callsheet.
  • Clock management was poor at the end of the first half.
  • Minshew is a liability.

• Like 3

Positives:

Defensive pressure.  Samson had the big strip sack but the line was putting pressure on Baker a lot of the day.

run game.  The two headed monster showed up and played well.

oline.  Really solid and held up really well against a good defensive front against the run.

Pittman.  Maybe his best game of the season.  Again I don’t care if you call him a 1 or 2 he needs to be kept.

Minshew.  Aside from two series he made good decisions today.  Still a backup and plays like it but this is about as good as you can expect from a backup.

Shane.  Coached a good game I thought and mixed up the offense.  Had some questionable decisions that I will address later but if you are going to be aggressive you are going to fail some too but also have great play calls like that 4th and one that set up the game winning TD. 

Negatives.

Run defense:  this team needs Grover back in a bad way.  This was the worst rushing team in the league and they had over 100 yards rushing and did a lot of it right up the gut where Grover would have been.  Next week vs Henry will be a big challenge.

Get off the field defense:  Gave up way too many third and fourth and longs and what’s more disturbing is most of them were easy for the offense.  Also, as good as the pass rush was today it was no where to be seen on get off the field downs.

Secondary communication:  too many blown assignments for on defense, product of a young secondary.  
Shane:  I can live with the 4th and six that failed because if you want the 4th and inches that worked later in the game you will have to live with some failures like the 4th and six.  So that’s not why he’s here.  I think his clock management at the end at the first half was bad and my biggest issue with Shane is that the Colts are undisciplined.  You see that with turnovers, poor tackling, and penalties.  Almost every game this season the Colts have committed more penalties than their opponents and tackling and turnovers have been an issue all year.  Not going to drag Shane over the coals too much for it it’s something that needs to improve.  I mean I think Shane should be in the conversation for coach of the year.  Taking over what was bad offense and having them put up 20 points in every game they have played this year but one and doing it with backup QB and having them currently in the playoffs should do that.  
Gardner under pressure:  that’s when bad Gardner shows up.  At least late he was taking sacks (granted he ran into it) rather than trying to do too much on a play they lost.

Linebackers:  aside from Harrsion’s pick you hardly heard Franklin or Speed’s names all day.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

This game had it all. From questioning Steichen's clock management, through scratching your eyes out at Bradley's "prevent defense", some really smart playcalling by Steichen to some savvy plays by JT!

What a win.

The Good

• Clutch defensive plays when it mattered.
  • JT with an excellent game on limited snaps.
  • Moss with a great game too.
  • Pittman had a day!
  • Steichen with some clutch play calls.
  • Great debut for Harrison.
  • Minshew had a few clutch runs.

The Bad

• "Prevent" defense. Some one take that off Bradley's callsheet.
  • Clock management was poor at the end of the first half.
  • Minshew is a liability.

Minshew is not gong to get any better! He is also the best option they have. Maybe don’t dial up a game-plan where throws 41 times?

• Thanks 3

Getting Juju and Stewart back in the late stretch of the season is going to be very important.

I really love the Taylor-Moss combo that was shown off today.

Steichen is obviously a bright offensive mind. The offense consistently puts out points. Can't wait to see how he builds an offense around AR going forward.

• Like 6

Colts likely need four wins vs the Titans, Bengals, Steelers, Falcons, Raiders, and Texans to have a chance to get in.  Good news they can win all those games.  Bad news they could lose all those games too.  The hardest game left is vs the Texans to end the year and that might very well be a virtual playoff game.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Positives:

Defensive pressure.  Samson had the big strip sack but the line was putting pressure on Baker a lot of the day.

run game.  The two headed monster showed up and played well.

oline.  Really solid and held up really well against a good defensive front against the run.

Pittman.  Maybe his best game of the season.  Again I don’t care if you call him a 1 or 2 he needs to be kept.

Minshew.  Aside from two series he made good decisions today.  Still a backup and plays like it but this is about as good as you can expect from a backup.

Shane.  Coached a good game I thought and mixed up the offense.  Had some questionable decisions that I will address later but if you are going to be aggressive you are going to fail some too but also have great play calls like that 4th and one that set up the game winning TD. 

Negatives.

Run defense:  this team needs Grover back in a bad way.  This was the worst rushing team in the league and they had over 100 yards rushing and did a lot of it right up the gut where Grover would have been.  Next week vs Henry will be a big challenge.

Get off the field defense:  Gave up way too many third and fourth and longs and what’s more disturbing is most of them were easy for the offense.  Also, as good as the pass rush was today it was no where to be seen on get off the field downs.

Secondary communication:  too many blown assignments for on defense, product of a young secondary.  
Shane:  I can live with the 4th and six that failed because if you want the 4th and inches that worked later in the game you will have to live with some failures like the 4th and six.  So that’s not why he’s here.  I think his clock management at the end at the first half was bad and my biggest issue with Shane is that the Colts are undisciplined.  You see that with turnovers, poor tackling, and penalties.  Almost every game this season the Colts have committed more penalties than their opponents and tackling and turnovers have been an issue all year.  Not going to drag Shane over the coals too much for it it’s something that needs to improve.  I mean I think Shane should be in the conversation for coach of the year.  Taking over what was bad offense and having them put up 20 points in every game they have played this year but one and doing it with backup QB and having them currently in the playoffs should do that.  
Gardner under pressure:  that’s when bad Gardner shows up.  At least late he was taking sacks (granted he ran into it) rather than trying to do too much on a play they lost.

Linebackers:  aside from Harrsion’s pick you hardly heard Franklin or Speed’s names all day.  

Our back seven is not very good, without Grove our run D gets gashed,

Minshew has happy feet in the pocket, and we would be 3-8 with a 1st place schedule. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I do wish we would run the ball more than we do. It’s a 2-1 ratio of pass today and I just don’t see that as a recipe for success. 

I think it was specifically gameplanned like that. The Bucs had the top run defense before today (I believe?). We ended up running unexpectedly well, but a 50-50 or 55-45 split could have been a disaster if they'd played up to that rank.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I do wish we would run the ball more than we do. It’s a 2-1 ratio of pass today and I just don’t see that as a recipe for success. 

Just part of the game plan today.

They struggle in pass defense.

Usually strong vs run with Vea down there and we were missing Kelly too.

• Like 2

All in all with the Bucs weapons our pass defense did ok.  We did not have good run defense. The dline had 6 sacks which was key. Good game today and they finished it out with the Taylor TD and the strip fumble. Ebukam had a day. Our depth dline guys were good too. Pittman was a stud as expected.  Now we need Bills to lose so we can get in that 7th spot. Steelers game at home is going to be big. Browns lose today and play jags next week. Could be out of that top 7 by next week. Colts need to defend run better Sunday against titans.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

The Bucs strength is their run defense, especially in the middle where the Colts like to run it and mind you they didn’t have Kelly either.  The Bucs weakness is their pass defense.  I thought Shane did a good job calling effective pass plays early to get the Bucs out of sitting on the run (something that’s been needed the past few weeks) and then ran it at the Bucs.  The last two drives before halftime were not great play calling from Shane but I thought the play calling the rest of the game was really good.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, IinD said:

Our #1 QB of the future is done for the season, our head coach is a rookie and we're taking about possible playoffs in December...I love it, this could've been a complete dumpster fire.

There is a distinct difference in the spirit of this team between this year and last year. This was one of the important things to see this year. They generally look well prepared and whatever shortcomings this team and its players are showing, they rarely seem like they are because their coaches didn't prepare them for the game. 

• Like 5

The colts weakness in the qb and strength is their o-line and rb’s. I don’t care if the opponent has a good run defense you don’t throw 41 times and run 21 times. The colts have run well on good rushing defenses this year, make teams stop our strength. That takes the pressure off the qb and he probably will look better. It also keeps the defense off the field, that also isn’t a strong unit, and wears down a defense.

good win, and really good season after the disaster last year! Having a qb that can make teams have to respect long passing routs next year will be a tremendous addition, hopefully that qb is on the roster.

A nice win.  Feels like it shouldn’t have been as close as it was, though. Costly errors kept TB in the game. 

Still burns that Colts are 6-5 instead of 7-4 due to the Browns game theft. 

Colts just gotta take care of business.  Final game vs Texans might end up being the winner is in as a wildcard.  But first, take down the Titans next week.  Go Colts!

• Like 4