Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So do we have a decision to make

csmopar

3 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

The Colts do have a decision to make but that is not the decision they need to make.

The decision to make is whether to get in on the Caleb Williams sweepstakes at the end of the season.

To make an informed decision, AR needs to play every game possible so Colts can properly evaluate. 

If AR is healthy, he needs to play

We clearly are a talented enough roster to be in the double digits pick, low or high teens, AT MINIMUM IMO, TBD as to how the season goes. Division contenders, yes. SB contenders, not yet.

So if Ballard wouldn’t move up being at No.4, he ain’t moving up from those spots, IMO

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

The Colts do have a decision to make but that is not the decision they need to make.

The decision to make is whether to get in on the Caleb Williams sweepstakes at the end of the season.

To make an informed decision, AR needs to play every game possible so Colts can properly evaluate. 

No, we are not going to be in Caleb Williams sweepstakes. We won't have the record and we have our QB. Not even close.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Irsay needs to pull the coach into his office to explain how using the rookie QB's legs to sustain drives is a poor plan.  He's still learning and needs to use the pocket protections more to ensure he can survive to that point where he becomes a knowledgeable vet QB.  If he can't do that then start Minshew.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Caleb issued a statement 3 days ago, he’s not sure he will declare. He can make more money if he stays via NIL than as a rookie nfl QB. 

he also said he’d only come out if one of the 5 teams he wants to play for have the top picks. And they’re all west coast teams

13 minutes ago, AKB said:

a QB where the coach feels confident enough in their running ability to design plays to do it

Thanks. Sounds like a quarterback with additional skills. I don't see why someone would say they would not want a QB that can do what most QBs can do and more.

Anyway, to the topic, I think AR should not start until all the pain in the shoulder is gone. There is a capable backup in Minshew who can hold the fort for now. Eventually, AR should return as starter but not before he is recovered. Shoulder injuries can be exacerbated if not fully healed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Boondoggle said:

Irsay needs to pull the coach into his office to explain how using the rookie QB's legs to sustain drives is a poor plan.  He's still learning and needs to use the pocket protections more to ensure he can survive to that point where he becomes a knowledgeable vet QB.  If he can't do that then start Minshew.

AR’s legs around the goal line makes more sense. It’s going to be a while before they play man coverage against him for him to get to the point of using his legs as a last option to extend drives. So I agree with you.

The injury is an AC joint sprain, a source confirmed to Indy Star, which is the same injury he suffered his senior year of high school and missed a couple of games. The injury comes with various grades, and the lowest can result in no missed games like it did for Derek Carr, whereas more severe grades can be pretty costly. He'll figure out that part of the diagnosis in the MRI.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2023/10/08/colts-10-thoughts-on-anthony-richardsons-injury-and-win-over-titans/71027734007/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, I thought Minshew gave us a better chance to win now, but AR is better than I thought, so I'd stick with him as the starter. 

But depending on the game and if he's struggling, I'd pull him and go with Minshew to finish the particular game. Contender is a possibility with this team. I wouldn't want to risk a win to get AR experience.

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

Doubt they will sniff a top 5 draft pick. So no, Colts aren’t in the Caleb sweepstakes.

2 hours ago, colts89 said:

Lol no. We won that game due to Zack Moss and the OL. Minshew didn't # up and helped extend drives when needed. Minshew is like Ryan Tannehill lite. Let's not settle for that like the Titans have. You win SB in this league with special QBs and a great D.

Agreed.  Although you don't even need a great D.  Look at the Chiefs.  A great QB and a high powered offense will make you a contender.  

2 hours ago, masterlock said:

I don't think AR could've done anything special to avoid the injury he sustained today. For the most part, it's just bad luck.

I hope it's just bad luck, but it is concerning that he has only finished one game, though.  Let's hope it is just bad luck and the rest of the season goes smoothly.  

2 hours ago, husker61 said:

I thought minshew gave the colts a better chance to win after the ravens game, but having drafted Richardson they were going to go with him. I was against drafting a running qb before the draft.

Pure pocket QBs like Manning and Brady are becoming a thing of the past.  Most of the best teams have QBs that can make plays with their legs.  Look at Last year's Super Bowl.  Jalen Hurts and Mahomes.  Both can make plays with their legs, whether extending a passing play or running for a first down on a broken play.  Look at Allen on the Bills and Burrow on the Bengals.  Look at last year's conf championships.  3/4 teams had QBs that are not purely pocket passers.  Most of last years's playoff teams had QBs that can run.  The game has changed.  

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I agree, I think he’s the best QB in this rookie class and the best on the roster. 

that said, my point isn’t benching him for performance, my point is do you sit him and ride Minshew, letting AR fully heal up and learn from the sidelines?

It's between AR and CJ but I'd give CJ the edge.  CJ has yet to throw an interception so far this season, a rookie record.  

4 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

Pure pocket QBs like Manning and Brady are becoming a thing of the past.  Most of the best teams have QBs that can make plays with their legs.  Look at Last year's Super Bowl.  Jalen Hurts and Mahomes.  Both can make plays with their legs, whether extending a passing play or running for a first down on a broken play.  Look at Allen on the Bills and Burrow on the Bengals.  Look at last year's conf championships.  3/4 teams had QBs that are not purely pocket passers.  Most of last years's playoff teams had QBs that can run.  The game has changed.  

there is a big difference between being a mobile qb and a running qb. Qb’s that are running a lot by design, get hurt a lot. Mobil qb’s are avoiding defenders and if they get positive yards, it’s a extra.

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

At QB? I love AR, his sky is high but he’s only completed 1 game of 5. Men’s while, Minshew has won all 3 games he’s had to play in. Do we need to start considering a switch at QB? Not that I want too but man, this team right now has a legit shot at the Playoffs.

For being a big QB, it’s surprising to me he gets hurt this much so far. I thought he would be more durable. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think there’s a decision to make.  Looks like AR might be out a few weeks with his shoulder injury.   And that’s assuming he doesn’t need surgery.  

But, if no surgery, I’d think AR starts once he’s fully healthy, whether it’s 2 weeks or 4 weeks, or whatever it turns out to be.  I know this is unpopular, but nothing is more important than giving AR badly needed experience.   Not even the playoffs.  

Anthony Richardson is Priority One.   

Agreed.

Let's not take our eye off of the Primary Objective for this season.  Getting AR as much playing time as possible.  All other considerations are secondary.  Winning is nice.  But takes a back seat to the Primary Objective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

The injuries are concerning but I think we’re cursed more than anything else. 

At the moment let’s just let things go how they fall. 

Careful, I joked there was a curse last time he got hurt and somehow a bunch of people took that seriously and started a debate that curses aren’t real. 🙄

• Like 1

I dunno. This has been a super encouraging start for him on the field. Unfortunately we can’t keep him there. Your most important ability in this game is availability. 

I don’t want to say there’s a problem, but it’s certainly getting hard to say there’s not. 

• Like 2

I am on record as saying that it could be detrimental to pull Richardson in and out of the lineup. If he's the starter, he should remain the starter, and I think that's true.

But in the draft process and over the offseason, I always felt like one of the primary considerations with playing Richardson is determining whether he can operate at NFL game speed, or if he'd be overwhelmed. I don't think he's overwhelmed, but I also don't think he's protecting himself. He was reckless with his body in the opener; he was too casual Week 2 going into the end zone. The play on which he was injured today was a little more routine, but he still could have avoided taking that amount of contact.

I think he's been underestimating the defenders he's going against every week. I've said he has to learn his lesson about how big and fast NFL competition is, and start respecting it more. 

I want him to get all the reps he can, that's probably necessary for him to adjust and get used to the speed of the game. But I'm starting to think he needs a reset, and might benefit from a couple weeks or more on the bench. Maybe I'm overreacting and will feel differently tomorrow, but he has to make a serious adjustment quickly, or he's not going to last.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I am on record as saying that it could be detrimental to pull Richardson in and out of the lineup. If he's the starter, he should remain the starter, and I think that's true.

But in the draft process and over the offseason, I always felt like one of the primary considerations with playing Richardson is determining whether he can operate at NFL game speed, or if he'd be overwhelmed. I don't think he's overwhelmed, but I also don't think he's protecting himself. He was reckless with his body in the opener; he was too casual Week 2 going into the end zone. The play on which he was injured today was a little more routine, but he still could have avoided taking that amount of contact.

I think he's been underestimating the defenders he's going against every week. I've said he has to learn his lesson about how big and fast NFL competition is, and start respecting it more. 

I want him to get all the reps he can, that's probably necessary for him to adjust and get used to the speed of the game. But I'm starting to think he needs a reset, and might benefit from a couple weeks or more on the bench. Maybe I'm overreacting and will feel differently tomorrow, but he has to make a serious adjustment quickly, or he's not going to last.

And what’s scary is this stuff all adds up. I really hope this shoulder thing doesn’t come back to haunt him… 

To me he learns and tries to make adjustments from the previous set of circumstances.  For instance he was immediately trying to slide after what he went through at Houston and Jax.  You could see this once he got back on the field and you saw it some today.   However when he gets in the heat of battle he is a little bit like Luck in that he wants to lay it all out for the team.  So when he's got that opportunity to turn the corner and get that extra yard or two he relapses from time to time.  The only way he is going to learn is to continue playing and let the experience be his teacher.  Just keep making the adjustments as we move along.  Luckily all this is happening very early in his career,  I think he will get past this, and make the needed changes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

At QB? I love AR, his sky is high but he’s only completed 1 game of 5. Men’s while, Minshew has won all 3 games he’s had to play in. Do we need to start considering a switch at QB? Not that I want to but man, this team right now has a legit shot at the Playoffs.

There is no decision to make. Frankly it is not that hard - AR is the QB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

To me he learns and tries to make adjustments from the previous set of circumstances.  For instance he was immediately trying to slide after what he went through at Houston and Jax.  You could see this once he got back on the field and you saw it some today.   However when he gets in the heat of battle he is a little bit like Luck in that he wants to lay it all out for the team.  So when he's got that opportunity to turn the corner and get that extra yard or two he relapses from time to time.  The only way he is going to learn is to continue playing and let the experience be his teacher.  Just keep making the adjustments as we move along.  Luckily all this is happening very early in his career,  I think he will get past this, and make the needed changes. 

Thats the biggest thing no one is talking about and is something he’s me talked about himself a few times. Whether it’s a bad a pass or a hit he shouldn’t have taken he seems to have great recollection on what NOT to do next time. He’s made it a point to not make the same mistake twice. 

To add on to your point today he ran only when needed, was much more calculated, precise, and added more touch to his passes. He was quite effective before he left the game. Has to reign in some of that competitive spirt and use it when it absolutely makes sense to do so. 

Id wager a decent amount of money that the next time AR plays it will be his most put together game of the season. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Narcosys said:

I've never liked running QBs, and that's what AR is.  Combine that with his lack of pretty much any experience,  he needs to sit out the season.  I just don't trust him to be smart about how he plays.

How will sitting out the season help him learn whatever you think he needs to learn, and how will he gain experience while not playing?  Just trying to understand your thought process here.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2023 at 6:29 AM, MB-ColtsFan said:

How will sitting out the season help him learn whatever you think he needs to learn, and how will he gain experience while not playing?  Just trying to understand your thought process here.  Thanks.

Not playing can be as good of a teacher than playing and continuing to make the same mistakes. 

You can experience through shared understanding, through watching how to play in the NFL, practicing etc.

Not too complicated. Better than continuing to injure yourself because you think your 16 games with two teams translates to bring successful in the NFL. 

• Like 1