Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who do you think tried to contact Andrew Luck?

Nate!

So who do we think it was?  Maybe the Colts could get some draft compensation out of this.  

Or, do we think this is just a random tweet from Irsay with no connection to real events?

38 minutes ago, Nate! said:

So who do we think it was?  Maybe the Colts could get some draft compensation out of this.  

Or, do we think this is just a random tweet from Irsay with no connection to real events?

The team is Washington.   There are not many details as of now.   Ultimately the league would have to investigate and make a ruling.    

Reportedly, the Generals called Luck to gage interest in coming back.  It went no where, but Washington didn’t ask for permission which, if true, is a violation of league rules.    I believe the story is on Pro Football Talk.com

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

story

https://sports.yahoo.com/jim-irsay-floats-tampering-violation-after-report-that-commanders-contacted-andrew-luck-043400970.html

The link points to the original story from ESPN that probably made Irsay tweet so. 

If Washington had done anything wrong to violate the policy and had attempted to contact Luck who's under contract with Colts (due to Colts declining to recoup Luck's signing bonus), I hope they get docked draft picks like Dolphins got last draft. 

6 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

story

https://sports.yahoo.com/jim-irsay-floats-tampering-violation-after-report-that-commanders-contacted-andrew-luck-043400970.html

The link points to the original story from ESPN that probably made Irsay tweet so. 

If Washington had done anything wrong to violate the policy and had attempted to contact Luck who's under contract with Colts (due to Colts declining to recoup Luck's signing bonus), I hope they get docked draft picks like Dolphins got last draft. 

I hope the Washington sale gets finalized soon so the Colts and Commanders new owners can reach an agreement like the one the Eagles and Cardinals negotiated for Gannon's tampering. We win nothing if the league sanctions them and takes away a 1st. I'd rather us swap 3d for 2nd or something of the sort than not get anything. :dunno:

But at this point all this is wishful thinking, since we don't even know if there's any evidence of the tampering other than the media report.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

story

The Colts would still own his rights even if they had asked for the signing bonus back.    He was still under contract

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The team is Washington.   There are not many details as of now.   Ultimately the league would have to investigate and make a ruling.    

Reportedly, the Generals called Luck to gage interest in coming back.  It went no where, but Washington didn’t ask for permission which, if true, is a violation of league rules.    I believe the story is on Pro Football Talk.com

"Generals?"

7 hours ago, Nate! said:

Reports were it was the Washington ‘Skins aka Football team aka Commanders

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is definitely tampering, on top of that Andrew Luck is done playing so the Washington Skins wasted their time for nothing. 

And probably a fine. Maybe a pick but I doubt that

5 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

So why is Andrew Luck not calling Irsay up over the phone and saying, "Hey, Mr. Irsay. You gotta hear about what just happened!..."

How do you know he didn’t? 

7 hours ago, Nate! said:

We won’t get any compensation.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/05/08/colts-owner-issues-warning-commanders-andrew-luck

Unless that conversation was recorded, it seems like it would be very hard to prove it was an attempt to get him to come to WAS to be their QB. There are all kinds of reasons they could call a former player (coaching, FO, etc.). And I am sure Luck would just say he has no comment on it other than he is not coming back.

Seems like a huge nothing burger. 

9 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Thats strange.

Why would the commanders contact Luck when Levis fell right into their laps in the first round ?

Boy are they dumb

They contacted Luck back in the summer of 22.    Roughly a year ago +/-.    It’s not clear why this is just surfacing now. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

They contacted Luck back in the summer of 22.    Roughly a year ago +/-.    It’s not clear why this is just surfacing now. 

Espn saying it’s part of the email dump from the racial and sexual investigations into Synder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The USFL New Jersey Generals tried to contact Andrew Luck? :D

22 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I wish Luck WOULD come back so we could trade him. QUESTION: If Andrew Luck were to unretire would you want the Colts to keep him or trade him and go with AR? Again I’d trade him for whatever we can get.

I would trade Luck to the highest bidder if he came back. If we could get a 1st or 2nd rounder for him straight up in that hypothetical scenario, I would do it in a heartbeat.

• Like 4

Andrew Luck - AND - his Dad have BOTH stated that he is happy with his life away from the NFL - and - that he has no intention of returning.

I've seen a picture of him - and - he no longer looks like an NFL player.

I do agree - however - that IF the Commanders DID reach out to him - that they should be investigated and penalties handed out accordingly.

I think this is a non story. If there's any proof that someone reached out to Luck or his people, it's tampering, and the league should handle it. Good on Irsay for putting everyone on notice.

And if there's no proof, then this goes away quietly, and it makes no difference either way.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I wish Luck WOULD come back so we could trade him. QUESTION: If Andrew Luck were to unretire would you want the Colts to keep him or trade him and go with AR? Again I’d trade him for whatever we can get.

I would trade him in a heartbeat. Have you seen what he looks like now?? I probably have a better physique than luck and I’m taking chemo for cancer lol. No but foreal he probably lost as much mass as Jeff Saturday did. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I’d trade his contract to the Commanders right now whether he unretires or not. 5 years of 1s and 2s should get it done

9 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

I would trade him in a heartbeat. Have you seen what he looks like now?? I probably have a better physique than luck and I’m taking chemo for cancer lol. No but foreal he probably lost as much mass as Jeff Saturday did. 

I Hope you kick cancers butt!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I Hope you kick cancers butt!

Thank you so much. It’s been a heck of an ordeal. I had it in my spine and the pain in my legs from the nerves was excruciating. I had surgery and they removed it so I feel much better.   The chemo hasn’t been that bad either. I’m half way done and so far only got sick twice. I’m losing my hair now so that’s kind of rough but it will grow back. It def makes you less patient with your sports teams because you worry about the future. You want your teams to win now not lose and get good draft picks lol.  Thanks again for the kind words. 

• Like 4

On 5/8/2023 at 12:33 AM, NewColtsFan said:

If I am the Colts, I just let it go. Luck has kind if haunted this team for years. They finally got their guy and now here we go again. A story about Luck and I would just move on. Let the focus be Richardson and no need for there to be a cloud surrounding camp. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If I am the Colts, I just let it go. Luck has kind if haunted this team for years. They finally got their guy and now here we go again. A story about Luck and I would just move on. Let the focus be Richardson and no need for there to be a cloud surrounding camp. Just my two cents.

The Colts camp has zero to do with a potential tampering violation. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yeah….   I’m not expecting anything to come of this.   And I’m not expecting any serious punishment for Washington because they’d be punishing the new incoming ownership group and NOT the  outgoing group which committed the potential infraction. 

Now this could still turn into something if it turns out there’s much more to this story than is currently known.   Maybe the NFL is forced to drop the hammer, but I don’t think it’s likely.   More a long shot.  At least for right now. 

On 5/8/2023 at 1:49 AM, Nate! said:

This is a story to have the media a reason to talk about the NFL during a slow down time period. If most teams can each have a story cycle around a few days it keeps the fans entertained until training camp and preseason. 

I'm not saying it didn't happen, I haven't wasted anytime personally on it but it appears Washington is involved, the Evil Dan.Snyder lol.

I just doubt it happened recently, something they kept quiet and waited to release it when things are slow like now. 

And No, Luck is not coming back.