Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay letter to fans

csmopar

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

That makes it sound like Saturday is out for sure doesn't it?  Next head coach?  

Since Jeff was just an Interim coach, I think you may be reading too much into that statement... If I had to guess, Jeff is very high on Irsay's list of candidates, even if he isnt on Ballard's.

With all that said, considering what Jeff walked into... I would very much like to hear who his staff would be, what schemes they would look to employ on both offense and defense, what his vision is for the team etc before I rule him out.   I think he has what a lot of coaches do not (Super Bowl experience, the ability to motivate the men on the team, the experience of seeing how things were done during the Manning years and a deep love for the Indianapolis Colts)...ultimately how good he does or does not do as a Head Coach here, falls on who he would surround himself with, and what their plans on O and D would be...even what scheme he would employ for the o-line would be worth knowing.

7 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

I did not sense that. Makes me more worried he will be back.

I'm not sensing anything either way. No endorsement for Jeff, but nothing that says no chance either. He's simply just stating the obvious. We weren't good enough and we need to get better. 

19 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Since Jeff was just an Interim coach, I think you may be reading too much into that statement... If I had to guess, Jeff is very high on Irsay's list of candidates, even if he isnt on Ballard's.

With all that said, considering what Jeff walked into... I would very much like to hear who his staff would be, what schemes they would look to employ on both offense and defense, what his vision is for the team etc before I rule him out.   I think he has what a lot of coaches do not (Super Bowl experience, the ability to motivate the men on the team, the experience of seeing how things were done during the Manning years and a deep love for the Indianapolis Colts)...ultimately how good he does or does not do as a Head Coach here, falls on who he would surround himself with, and what their plans on O and D would be...even what scheme he would employ for the o-line would be worth knowing.

Agreed, people tend to hear what they want to hear when someone like Irsay speaks or in this case sends out a letter.

I really don't understand what people expected Jeff to be able to do without an offensive staff, a 30 year old play caller, a washed up matt ryan, and an offensive line that thought Matt Pryor was the answer at LT, or RG.

That's a lot to overcome, compounded with the fact he joined mid season and couldn't institute scheme change. 

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I really don't understand what people expected Jeff to be able to do without an offensive staff, a 30 year old play caller, a washed up matt ryan, and an offensive line that thought Matt Pryor was the answer at LT, or RG.

That's a lot to overcome, compounded with the fact he joined mid season and couldn't institute scheme change. 

Make miracles happen son! 

First of all, I appreciate that our owner is addressing us as adults. However, if he brings Jeff Saturday back, I would imagine there will be lots of people that may cancel their season tickets. There is no reason under heaven to bring him back. He was hapless and won one game only because Gilmore made a fantastic play in the end zone against Las Vegas. The whole nonsense of play Ryan don’t play Ryan go to Sam then back the to Ryan. Then back to Sam, Foles and back to Sam. It was gut wrenching to watch. So bring back Jeff Saturday is more of the same and fans won’t tolerate it.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I'm not sensing anything either way. No endorsement for Jeff, but nothing that says no chance either. He's simply just stating the obvious. We weren't good enough and we need to get better. 

If he’s not back it will be because he was terrible and I have nothing against Saturday but he showed he’s no head coach. 

3 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

First of all, I appreciate that our owner is addressing us as adults. However, if he brings Jeff Saturday back, I would imagine there will be lots of people that may cancel their season tickets. There is no reason under heaven to bring him back. He was hapless and won one game only because Gilmore made a fantastic play in the end zone against Las Vegas. The whole nonsense of play Ryan don’t play Ryan go to Sam then back the to Ryan. Then back to Sam, Foles and back to Sam. It was gut wrenching to watch. So bring back Jeff Saturday is more of the same and fans won’t tolerate it.

Hopefully, we will have a young QB that will need to develop. We don't need to double down and hire a coach that needs to develop too. And if he does hire Saturday , he will have to hire a new GM too.

Just now, indyagent17 said:

I totally agree if they bring him back they’ll be a lot of empty seats that’s sure and a lot of upset fans.

my honest opinion?  Jeff may be a horrible coach or he may turn out to be one of the greats... we CANNOT judge him off of his interim stint this year and here is why:

He came in half way through the season, had no off season etc... had no input on the roster, the schemes, the schedules, the COACHING STAFF or anything else

He didnt have HIS staff, he inherited one that was already missing a lot of coaches and ended up losing a couple more.

People may say "he only won 1 game"... but he also got to thoroughly evaluate the players, and as an outsider, had no real shot to turn things around (and I think Jim knew that and will not hold it against him).

ALL coaches are only as good as the staff they put around them, the roster that they help to build, and the habits that they instill in their players...   Like I said, Jeff may suck...or he may be great... but I would at least like to see the entire staff he would have around him, the schemes he plans to use in all phases of the game, the roster changes he would want to make and then give him a full off season where everything is put into place.

From the way it sounds, Frank wasn't holding anyone accountable for anything...players were late, lazy, no consequences for anything etc.  Everything had grown stale and players and coaches seemed to just be going through the motions, in a lot of cases...and we had no viable starting QB.  I've watched a lot of all 22 tape from this year, and we had guys open down field a LOT but Ryan had no arm to get the ball to them.

Jeff has experience as a player, being in one of the best systems in the history of football...was part of the winningest team in the 2000s, and knows what was put into those teams by the coaches, players etc... I dont know what the future holds, but I feel he is just as worthy as any other candidate that we interview (none of them would have turned this past year into a winner, being dropped onto the team half way through the season, the way that Jeff was...and that wouldnt make them bad coaches, either, just like it doesnt make Jeff one).

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

Irsay certainly thought he could do something, which is why he made the decision he did. All that was known when he got the job. It’s fair for him to be judged regardless of the circumstances he walked into. If he had won a bunch of games it would have been “Wow he won 5/8 games despite bad line play/ a washed up QB, and no offensive staff”.

If he didn’t do what Irsay clearly thought he could do, then clearly he’s not as good as Irsay made him out to be. Even if you say there was no chance for him to succeed (which again, Irsay thought otherwise) then why make the move and essentially set him up for failure? 

If his evaluation is a fair process than you can’t just say if he wins and the team shows improvement then he gets the job, but if he loses more than he wins and the team doesn’t look better than he still gets the job. You have nothing that really stands as reason to give it him full time. Giving him a chance with his own staff isn’t a decision you make that casually just because.

Blah blah blah, blah blah blah.       Same stuff over and over.  Total nonsense.  Every team in every sport wants to win.  This is nothing new.  This organization is terrible.  I'd like to see it turned around, but I have serious doubts.  It will take a long time.  The next Manning or Luck is not on the horizon.  Maybe a lesser known QB from college develops and performs well over time.  But going by the track record over the past few years, I find it hard to believe.  I do hope I'm wrong on this.  I will continue to root for the Colts (I've been a fan for over 50 years now).  But my expectations are low.  

57 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

He was able to evaluate if any of the quarterbacks on the team could play. He was able to evaluate if the team responds to the leadership of any of the quarterbacks. He found out that the Colts don’t have a quarterback on the roster and they all need to be replaced. 

6 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

He was able to evaluate if any of the quarterbacks on the team could play. He was able to evaluate if the team responds to the leadership of any of the quarterbacks. He found out that the Colts don’t have a quarterback on the roster and they all need to be replaced. 

Boiled it down to the essentials.  Nice work.

14 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

He spent enough hours IN the building, IN the meetings, and on the field to evaluate everybody and everything. 

Frank and his leadership style and gone sour. And a few of our stars appreciate what Jeff brought. Jeff will have serious input regarding our current o-lineman.

50 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I see your point, but after watching Ryan all season, he put them back in. That’s football malpractice. Look at his fumbles and interceptions. Would you trust him again this season. I sure wouldn’t.

55 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I like your comment where it says the Colts don't have a quarterback.  That's what I was telling my friends and my brothers all year-We don't have a quarterback.  Period.  

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

Jeff didn't get any pride out of the oline so I'm not okay with  the option of sticking with him...

7 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I see your point, but after watching Ryan all season, he put them back in. That’s football malpractice. Look at his fumbles and interceptions. Would you trust him again this season. I sure wouldn’t.

The players wanting Ryan back in drove that i believe.

Perhaps because they respected him so much and hated that their own poor play was a big reason he looked so bad. They tried to step up their play for him. And they did a little, but he still stank. Oh well, stuff happens.

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

I would get the release papers on Ryan as fast as humanly possible. I was one of the few that didn’t like the trade and want him gone ASAP. 

There may be some owners that are just in it for the money, Jim Irsay is not one.

Although he wants to be successful economically, he has a genuine love of the game and of winning. He knows this team is a mess but he also trusts Cris Ballard to get it where it needs to be. Some would argue that “Ballard got us in this mess” but I don’t think Irsay sees it that way. Right or wrong, he trusts Ballard to find the QB they need, the right HC and the pieces on offense and defense to be competitive.

We’ve seen teams turn things around in a year and there is an element of luck to it. I can’t help but think that if the offense had been good this year, the defense and special teams would have been good enough to make the playoffs. It just seemed like the offense lost confidence and it snowballed as the year went on.

Here’s to brighter days ahead! Go Colts!!

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

There may be some owners that are just in it for the money, Jim Irsay is not one.

Although he wants to be successful economically, he has a genuine love of the game and of winning. He knows this team is a mess but he also trusts Cris Ballard to get it where it needs to be. Some would argue that “Ballard got us in this mess” but I don’t think Irsay sees it that way. Right or wrong, he trusts Ballard to find the QB they need, the right HC and the pieces on offense and defense to be competitive.

We’ve seen teams turn things around in a year and there is an element of luck to it. I can’t help but think that if the offense had been good this year, the defense and special teams would have been good enough to make the playoffs. It just seemed like the offense lost confidence and it snowballed as the year went on.

Here’s to brighter days ahead! Go Colts!!

If Jim isnt in this for the $$$, then he shoulda paid all of us season ticket holders back the $$$ we paid for attending this blankshow of a season! Of course that aint gonna happen. Im sure season ticket prices will even go up once again along with the preseason games thanks to the false hope that this team gives us year after year! All I know is my broke * cant pay for tickets anymore anyways thanks to inflation. :gloomy:

6 hours ago, Nickster said:

You poor guys.  Didn’t mean to hurt y’all’s feels.

Just thought next might mean well next.

I guess technically he’s the IHC instead if HC?

it is kinda cute how y’all run to stand up together though for what is Jeff your uncle?

Aww don't worry... I'd be shocked if there was a single member on this board that cares enough about you and/or your opinion to actually be hurt by it.   :thmup:

12 hours ago, tomloge1 said:

Blah blah blah, blah blah blah.       Same stuff over and over.  Total nonsense.  Every team in every sport wants to win.  This is nothing new.  This organization is terrible.  I'd like to see it turned around, but I have serious doubts.  It will take a long time.  The next Manning or Luck is not on the horizon.  Maybe a lesser known QB from college develops and performs well over time.  But going by the track record over the past few years, I find it hard to believe.  I do hope I'm wrong on this.  I will continue to root for the Colts (I've been a fan for over 50 years now).  But my expectations are low.  

So you don’t believe all chips were in this year?

12 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Winning a few games would have been the worst thing for the team.  We could have landed outside the top 10 in draft position.  Jeff did it right.

Archived