Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay letter to fans

csmopar

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read the letter. Nothing I didn’t expect him to say. Nice that he is an involved owner but at the same time it just seems like blah blah blah to me. I’m counting down to when the head coach and QB decisions are made.  As of right now everything is speculation with zero direction. I understand that is entertaining for some and enjoy reading opinions.  Myself, I don’t have one bc my go to is a wait and see approach. I don’t know enough about coaches to even want to guess who the hire will be. When that is done and coordinators are chosen, I will dig into how they have operated and how it compares to the QB options available 

I like Jeff Saturday. I’m a fan of the man. But it was clear as the day is long that he was in over his head on the sidelines. A coach who has to learn the job as he goes along has no business coaching a NFL team. His hiring has all the earmarks of an impulsive, emotional decision by the owner. That ain’t how you run a railroad folks. 
If Jim Irsay insists on hiring Jeff Saturday as his head coach, he’ll lose not only my support but, I’ll wager, the support of many long time fans as well. The Colts need a breath of fresh air from their next coach. Someone who is schooled in the modern game and can recharge their anemic offense. Someone who can attract a strong new set of asst. coaches. 

If you shop in the scrapyard for the next leader of your team, you end up with junk. That is true for the head coach position and also for the new QB. 

Give Jeff a job as special consultant to the owner. And let Ballard and his tribe find the next coach and QB. 

55 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I like Jeff Saturday. I’m a fan of the man. But it was clear as the day is long that he was in over his head on the sidelines. A coach who has to learn the job as he goes along has no business coaching a NFL team. His hiring has all the earmarks of an impulsive, emotional decision by the owner. That ain’t how you run a railroad folks. 
If Jim Irsay insists on hiring Jeff Saturday as his head coach, he’ll lose not only my support but, I’ll wager, the support of many long time fans as well. The Colts need a breath of fresh air from their next coach. Someone who is schooled in the modern game and can recharge their anemic offense. Someone who can attract a strong new set of asst. coaches. 

If you shop in the scrapyard for the next leader of your team, you end up with junk. That is true for the head coach position and also for the new QB. 

Give Jeff a job as special consultant to the owner. And let Ballard and his tribe find the next coach and QB. 

Yet it seems that players on the team are vouching for his Leadership so you don't have that important part right.

If Jeff personally would be exceptional at making sure our o-line would be capable of executing at a high level that would also be a great thing. I would expect that.

He will share his ideas on the type of offense he wants to run and who he has in mind to OC it. I can't imagine he will disappoint. And i also would expect Gus would not be in his plans.

JMO that after all these interviews Irsay in his heart will wonder if Jeff would be a better GM for him.

22 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Yet it seems that players on the team are vouching for his Leadership so you don't have that important part right.

If Jeff personally would be exceptional at making sure our o-line would be capable of executing at a high level that would also be a great thing. I would expect that.

He will share his ideas on the type of offense he wants to run and who he has in mind to OC it. I can't imagine he will disappoint. And i also would expect Gus would not be in his plans.

JMO that after all these interviews Irsay in his heart will wonder if Jeff would be a better GM for him.

I guess my point is that Jeff S has no experience as a head coach or in management. Why in the world would you go there when you combine that knowledge with his terrible performance as interim HC? Yes I know… he came into an awful situation. But does a top business in a highly competitive market hire a guy with NO leadership experience? Of course not. It was a bad idea from the get go. 

I’m done with Irsay’s impulsive decisions. Let your front office get the job done with your final approval. The Colts can’t compete if the owner insists on making rash decisions. And I don’t think I’m off base in saying  the fan base won’t tolerate it much longer.  

15 hours ago, IndyEric07 said:

If Jim isnt in this for the $$$, then he shoulda paid all of us season ticket holders back the $$$ we paid for attending this blankshow of a season! Of course that aint gonna happen. Im sure season ticket prices will even go up once again along with the preseason games thanks to the false hope that this team gives us year after year! All I know is my broke * cant pay for tickets anymore anyways thanks to inflation. :gloomy:

I didn’t say he wasn’t in it for the money. I said he wasn’t in it JUST for the money.

Of course he wants to make a profit but he’s invested in this team, that’s for sure but I do believe he loves the game.

As far as expectations, only one team survives in February. One fanbase out of thirty two….it’s what we sign up for as fans. 
  As far as inflation, maybe you’re blaming the wrong guy?

34 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I guess my point is that Jeff S has no experience as a head coach or in management. Why in the world would you go there when you combine that knowledge with his terrible performance as interim HC? Yes I know… he came into an awful situation. But does a top business in a highly competitive market hire a guy with NO leadership experience? Of course not. It was a bad idea from the get go. 

I’m done with Irsay’s impulsive decisions. Let your front office get the job done with your final approval. The Colts can’t compete if the owner insists on making rash decisions. And I don’t think I’m off base in saying  the fan base won’t tolerate it much longer.  

I bet you aren't done with Irsays impulsive decisions.   A reply to this will prove I'm right

8 hours ago, CR91 said:

Here's a way to stop failing. Actually draft a QB instead of taking someone else's sloppy seconds.

Ryan Leaf

JaMarcus Russell 

Joey Harrington 

Matt Lienart

Akili Smith

Any QB drafted by the browns?

The draft is not a sure fire way to success.   I can make more busts than you can name hits when it comes to top 10 draft picks at qb

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Ryan Leaf

JaMarcus Russell 

Joey Harrington 

Matt Lienart

Akili Smith

The draft is not a sure fire way to success.   I can make more busts than you can name hits when it comes to top 10 draft picks at qb

I love how all you did was name bad QBs like drafting one isn't the best solution. You wanna continue this QB band-aid method 

48 minutes ago, Hoose said:

FWIW…..

I’m modestly hopeful Irsay will not hire Saturday as the HC.   I just don’t think he could sell that either to the fan base or the media.   He’d get crushed.   I’d guess season ticket sales would slow dramatically as would merchandise.  It would be a tremendous body blow for the franchise. 

The Colts are interviewing a large number of candidates.  Larger than most teams.  Hard to imagine Irsay and Ballard could stand up and say Saturday was the best candidate from such a large field of good candidates.   It’s just too hard a sell, too far of a stretch.   I think Saturday is offered a position in the front office if he wants it.   Otherwise he returns to ESPN. 

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW…..

I’m modestly hopeful Irsay will not hire Saturday as the HC.   I just don’t think he could sell that either to the fan base or the media.   He’d get crushed.   I’d guess season ticket sales would slow dramatically as would merchandise.  It would be a tremendous body blow for the franchise. 

The Colts are interviewing a large number of candidates.  Larger than most teams.  Hard to imagine Irsay and Ballard could stand up and say Saturday was the best candidate from such a large field of good candidates.   It’s just too hard a sell, too far of a stretch.   I think Saturday is offered a position in the front office if he wants it.   Otherwise he returns to ESPN. 

I don't think the fan base would abandon the organizaton just because Saturday returns.  I've already started looking at season tickets just based off the fact we most likely end up with a rookie QB (which is super exciting on its own to me)

(im hoping for the chiefs OC, Rams DC, or Lions OC in no particular order)

22 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Ryan Leaf

JaMarcus Russell 

Joey Harrington 

Matt Lienart

Akili Smith

You can include all of the Jets QBs too. 

32 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I love how all you did was name bad QBs like drafting one isn't the best solution. You wanna continue this QB band-aid method 

I think his point was the draft isn’t a sure thing either not so much they should continue with the band-aid method.  With that said I agree with you the time to draft one has come.  That’s why I am not crazy about all the people talking about trading back and drafting a QB who is going to have to sit for a little while and be developed.  

13 hours ago, J@son said:

Aww don't worry... I'd be shocked if there was a single member on this board that cares enough about you and/or your opinion to actually be hurt by it.   :thmup:

Man I come on here to be cared about.  Jason you’ve really hurt my self esteem.

45 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think his point was the draft isn’t a sure thing either not so much they should continue with the band-aid method.  With that said I agree with you the time to draft one has come.  That’s why I am not crazy about all the people talking about trading back and drafting a QB who is going to have to sit for a little while and be developed.  

I get that, but people are looking at the Rams and Bucs getting vet QBs like it's the way to win a championship. That method only works if you're great at multiple positions. What did the Bucs and Rams have? A top 5 defense and weapons everywhere. Colts have none of that.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes….    And it only took him about 8 years or so.    Hey props to him, mad love for him.  It’s the feel good story of the season.  But stories like his are rare.   The exception to the rule.  

The NFL is weird sometimes. You get the right coach and it can turn your career around. Pete Carroll turned his career around. Just like Harbaugh did with Alex Smith. Once Smith played under Harbaugh then played for Reid, he was good.

46 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes….    And it only took him about 8 years or so.    Hey props to him, mad love for him.  It’s the feel good story of the season.  But stories like his are rare.   The exception to the rule.  

okay? 

I am proud that we have an owner who is as passionate about his team as the fans are.

Even when he makes unpopular and/or unwise decisions - it's with a true desire to make this team better.

God bless Chris Ballard and Jim Irsay as they continue their work on our 2023 Indianapolis Colts team!!

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

imo none of them are day one ready

12 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

No he isn't.   Have you looked at his  Twitter?   

Yeah, unfortunately. He does a ton of good with charities and giveaways, but needs to stop with the videos of him ranting post games or writing letters to the fans. Let Ballard do all the talking and just sign the checks and stay in the background.

1 hour ago, Dark Superman said:

Yeah, unfortunately. He does a ton of good with charities and giveaways, but needs to stop with the videos of him ranting post games or writing letters to the fans. Let Ballard do all the talking and just sign the checks and stay in the background.

That's not gonna happen.   It's his team

Archived