Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zak Keefer says locker room not good

Nesjan3

17 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

It’s been pretty apparent to me that Reich has lost his voice with the team since last year……Matt Ryan’s NAME covered a few warts but those feelings bubbled back up. 

Cutting a kicker because the team couldn’t score points and he kicked a ball out of bounds after winning a kicking competition two off-seasons in a row is a cowardly move……

Benching an underperforming icon who you hitched your franchise too (publicly stating you hope he can play for several more years), picked up his option for next year and turn around and say we were going to play Sam the rest of the year anyways is a cowardly move……

Firing a an offensive coordinator that doesn’t actually call plays is a total you know what move…..

All of this is to say that between FR’s confusing calls on 4th downs, horrible first half play calling in general and constantly leaving points on the field PLUS these puzzling personnel moves screams he’s trying to scapegoat folks to save his hide…..

My humble opinion and you are welcome to disagree but I doubt you’ll change my mind……lol

Eerily similar to the Baltimore Colts 70’s, early 80’s. Marty Domres- Bert Jones QB controversy , Tony Linhart given 10 K then cut, Marchibroda- Joe Thomas coach/ GM situation , owner calling plays in the booth and coming onto the field. Let’s hope history doesn’t repeat itself. 

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That has to be the worst comment this forum has seen in a long time 

I actually see “some” merit in the post of the person you quoted. Pun intended. 

Irsay has said some crazy stuff over the past decade. Called the Manning era, the Star Wars era. Said Luck’s problem was between his ears. Talking about another owner. 

When the day comes, the signs were all there. 

That said, I’ll never doubt Jim Irsays love for the Colts. That’s real. 

12 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Eerily similar to the Baltimore Colts 70’s, early 80’s. Marty Domres- Bert Jones QB controversy , Tony Linhart given 10 K then cut, Marchibroda- Joe Thomas coach/ GM situation , owner calling plays in the booth and coming onto the field. Let’s hope history doesn’t repeat itself. 

It won’t get that far

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Irsay has said some crazy stuff over the past decade. Called the Manning era, the Star Wars era. Said Luck’s problem was between his ears. Talking about another owner. 

Sometimes you press and want something so bad, it causes you to make poor short term decisions. You build up a transaction , then have to walk it back , or take some pot shots because of disappointments. Subordinates should be held accountable, but only if they aren’t micromanaged and fully able to

perform their role. The passion for the Colts is real, but the most successful era was the mostly hands off era under Polian. 

13 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Jim Irsay moved himself out of that type of role a long time ago. Best decision he ever made. He fired himself and hired a GM. He really does not get enough credit for that. 

After the game, he will rip people apart behind closed doors, and occasionally slip up to the press, sometimes on purpose. But I do not believe he will ever interfere with a live game. He knows that’s not his wheelhouse. 

Just now, The Old Crow said:

May no fan ever have to go through an era like that ! 

Amen!

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

They are losing.

They can't score points.

They see players in nonimpactful positions making gobs of money to play badly, and one sitting on the sidelines.

They heard their owner undermine their team captain last year over an issue laced with political undertones,

They lose badly at the end of the season, then the owner goes ballistic, with him trading the QB with no real plan for improvement...impetuous.

They wonder who will be next at season's end.  Maybe themselves, maybe their friend.

All of this causes finger pointing, where the obvious scapegoat would be the head coach.

Good post. 

What we are seeing is a repeated pattern of an owner meddling/making demands in personnel instead of leaving those decisions solely in hands of the people that were hired to do those exact things. 

Due to the inferences that can drawn by any individual player from that repeated pattern, it almost always leads to a deterioration of the team morale, attitude in the locker room.

3 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Sometimes you press and want something so bad, it causes you to make poor short term decisions. You build up a transaction , then have to walk it back , or take some pot shots because of disappointments. Subordinates should be held accountable, but only if they aren’t micromanaged and fully able to

perform their role. The passion for the Colts is real, but the most successful era was the mostly hands off era under Polian. 

I 100% agree with you. 

I also don’t think Tobin gets enough credit. He brought the Colts real players.

Just now, BlueShoe said:

Jim Irsay moved himself out of that type of role a long time ago. Best decision he ever made. He fired himself and hired a GM. He really does not get enough credit for that. 

After the game, he will rip people apart behind closed doors, and occasionally slip up to the press, sometimes on purpose. But I do not believe he will ever interfere with a live game. He knows that’s not his wheelhouse. 

Both he and his dad had the most success with an old pro GM at the helm , Bill Polian - Joe Thomas. I’m not saying the owner should have no say, but they are paying top professionals to run the football operations. 

Just now, BlueShoe said:

I 100% agree with you. 

I also don’t think Tobin gets enough credit. He brought the Colts real players.

I forgot about him. Another old pro 

2 hours ago, w87r said:

If there is a problem in the locker room with all the high character guys we have, then there really is a big problem.

It has nothing to do with the character of the players. It has a lot to do with the mess of an organization the Colts have been for almost 5 years now. The type of mishaps by our FO (And I’m talking Owner, GM, and HC) will wear any locker room down. Players are tired and frustrated. It doesn’t matter how great of a leader or team player a guy is. Losing, mediocrity, bad roster management, and poor coaching will wear down any group.

52 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

I dont think there was anything groundbreaking said there.

Of course not every player on the roster was happy about the Ryan decision.

They just have opinions.

Yeah this isn’t exactly news but it’s being reported because some people refuse to believe that this happens. This organization in particular has a large amount of elitist fanbase who thinks that their organization never goes through the internal turmoil that the what people call “bottom tier” franchises go through. I thinks it’s fair to report about the Colts turmoil the same way the media is all the Cowboys, 49ers, or New York teams.

Plus how many times is there some rumor about the Colts that always gets vehemently denied by the posters on here until it happens?

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

irsay is the only one i trust he actually cares about winning .  i doubt he meddles in every day affairs and says who to draft or pick up .   the only thing he gets involved in is the QB situation and he had to ballard hasnt had any luck .

This is a fair point, and I do believe that Irsay wants to win as much as any owner in the NFL but if he can't trust the GM he hired or doesn't value his plan (both short term and long term) to address the most important position on the team, shouldn't he get someone else in here for that role in the front office?

50 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

It’s been pretty apparent to me that Reich has lost his voice with the team since last year……Matt Ryan’s NAME covered a few warts but those feelings bubbled back up. 

Cutting a kicker because the team couldn’t score points and he kicked a ball out of bounds after winning a kicking competition two off-seasons in a row is a cowardly move……

Benching an underperforming icon who you hitched your franchise too (publicly stating you hope he can play for several more years), picked up his option for next year and turn around and say we were going to play Sam the rest of the year anyways is a cowardly move……

Firing a an offensive coordinator that doesn’t actually call plays is a total you know what move…..

All of this is to say that between FR’s confusing calls on 4th downs, horrible first half play calling in general and constantly leaving points on the field PLUS these puzzling personnel moves screams he’s trying to scapegoat folks to save his hide…..

My humble opinion and you are welcome to disagree but I doubt you’ll change my mind……lol

Blankenship deserved to be cut

3 minutes ago, SR711 said:

This is a fair point, and I do believe that Irsay wants to win as much as any owner in the NFL but if he can't trust the GM he hired or doesn't value his plan (both short term and long term) to address the most important position on the team, shouldn't he get someone else in here for that role in the front office?

I will go as far to say that Jim probably does want to win more than most NFL owners. His enthusiasm is fan like. I think some of the comments like two super bowl wins in a decade , can create self-imposed pressure , versus taken a more measured approach for building long term success. The pressure can sometimes cause you to reach. Not that you shouldn’t have goals, but all of us know how hard it is to win one Super Bowl. 

17 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It has nothing to do with the character of the players. It has a lot to do with the mess of an organization the Colts have been for almost 5 years now. The type of mishaps by our FO (And I’m talking Owner, GM, and HC) will wear any locker room down. Players are tired and frustrated. It doesn’t matter how great of a leader or team player a guy is. Losing, mediocrity, bad roster management, and poor coaching will wear down any group.

Yeah this isn’t exactly news but it’s being reported because some people refuse to believe that this happens. This organization in particular has a large amount of elitist fanbase who thinks that their organization never goes through the internal turmoil that the what people call “bottom tier” franchises go through. I thinks it’s fair to report about the Colts turmoil the same way the media is all the Cowboys, 49ers, or New York teams.

Plus how many times is there some rumor about the Colts that always gets vehemently denied by the posters on here until it happens?

Yeah i get that.

This is what happens when a coach is in the middle of losing the faith of the team. They start second guessing his decisions and it makes it even harder for that coach to turn it around.

Hopefully, Frank can figure it out, but Im pretty skeptical.

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Saw the interview on youtube on the bring the juice podcast.

for some reason i can't copy/paste it.

I enjoy that podcast. Some of his guest aren’t cut out for talking on air but the main guy does a nice job. A bit of a homer but you have to be to start a podcast for a team. 

2 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I enjoy that podcast. Some of his guest aren’t cut out for talking on air but the main guy does a nice job. A bit of a homer but you have to be to start a podcast for a team. 

I like Derek Larger a lot. He's highly emotional, but a solid guy, and fun to watch streams with. He's honest about his opinions and that's all I can ask for. I'm not as big of a fan of Cody as he's more subdued and not as much of a youtube type guy.

Yeah, the guests aren't great sometimes. Some are just fans, but I'm fine with that.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I like Derek Larger a lot. He's highly emotional, but a solid guy, and fun to watch streams with. He's honest about his opinions and that's all I can ask for. I'm not as big of a fan of Cody as he's more subdued and not as much of a youtube type guy.

Yeah, the guests aren't great sometimes. Some are just fans, but I'm fine with that.

I saw it’s up to 14k subscribers which is about double from when I started listening. Seems to be gaining a following

22 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

If this is true, Frank is done. Seems like he’s lost the players. Same old speech every year with same results. Players have had enough. Crazy thing happening with ballards high character guys 

Posters here have been saying Frank has lost the locker room for years.   Literally years.    Maybe one day they’ll be right?    Maybe that day is now?    Maybe.   But I wouldn’t bet the farm on it. 

2 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I saw it’s up to 14k subscribers which is about double from when I started listening. Seems to be gaining a following

They put out a lot of quality content. They come out with Colts news before anyone else on youtube, and have lots of videos about everything colts related including the draft, FA, rankings videos of Colts players, and plenty of other stuff. Generally it's a fun place to chat in streams and have fun.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Posters here have been saying Frank has lost the locker room for years.   Literally years.    Maybe one day they’ll be right? Maybe that day is now?    Maybe.   But I wouldn’t bet the farm in it. 

True but at this point I think there’s got to be some truth to it. I went to the Tenn game and the team just seemed flat/disinterested during pregame. Just a weird feeling when the other team is jumping around and showing emotion. Who knows but the same message every year at some point runs it’s course. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

U can love something but still end up destroying it.  Case in point. The Kardashians and all their men lol.

8 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

True but at this point I think there’s got to be some truth to it. I went to the Tenn game and the team just seemed flat/disinterested during pregame. Just a weird feeling when the other team is jumping around and showing emotion. Who knows but the same message every year at some point runs it’s course. 

I do think there’s some truth there.   But at this point — today — I don’t know how much?   

I’ve long believed you’re the right person for the job right up until the moment you’re not.   And that moment — that “sell by” date — is different fir everyone and it can be surprising how fast or slow it can come.  

I’ve long been a supporter of Frank’s.   But I’ve made roughly a half dozen posts saying I think he’s less than 50-50 to be the HC next year.   Obviously things could change either way, I’m just saying it’s a long time time between now and the end of the year.  

4 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

There's something more going on we don't know about  

I don't think it's rocket surgery.

First, the team is losing, when they expected to be competing for a playoff spot. Second, there's a new QB every year, with at least another year of QB change on the way. That's enough for a locker room to turn sour.

I think it's really simple. There doesn't have to be ill will, there doesn't have to be any finger pointing. Any time a team is losing when they expected to be winning, there will be players-only meetings, reports of unhappy players, and most of the time big roster and coaching staff changes are close behind.

When you lose you lose..all around. The players play..that’s what they get all that ridiculous money for. But they don’t necessarily choose what they are responsible for on the field..the order comes from the top. But for a guy like Nelson his job is very repetitive. Block the other guy..I mean that’s your entire job. When you can’t do it well and the team loses then the finger pointing begins. This group of overpaid kids should be able to figure it out :) 

4 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Ive seen this posted over and over again and IMO the problems go much deeper. How about 

- Not being prepared for a game ever, 10 straight games being down at half

- Fumbles and INT's

- Ballards flawed roster construction and roster building philosophy

- Franks questionable play calling, decision making in game and failing to adjust

- Irsay being critical of Wentz over a political thing, then having an adult temper tantrum having him sent out of town when there wasn't much better on the market

- The revolving door at QB and the constant scapegoating of other coaches, coordinators etc. Lack of accountability on the coach leads to finger pointing. Poop rolls downhill. 

I mean I could go on some more, but none of this has anything to do with the Oline

nailed it

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I am not sure there is a flawed philosophy to build a team per say.  The thing is that if u have a philosophy, u need that to be the straight of your team. He believes on building the trenches and he  poured money and draft capital into the O and D line. Simply said, those are not the out right strengths of this team and that is where Balard has failed. Its really as simple as that.

I have to agree here.  He’s failed at LT, RG, and DE.  And as much as I love Nelson, he’s not the same player from 2018.  ( Don’t take the bait :p )

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

I have to agree here.  He’s failed at LT, RG, and DE.  And as much as I love Nelson, he’s not the same player from 2018.  ( Don’t take the bait :p )

Do you consider Paye a failure?  He’s a DE and I think he’s one of the best players on defense.  Yes Turey and Ben were failures but Lewis turned into a decent player.  He also found Autry and while he made a mistake to let him go he also brought him here where he broke out.  I think DE has been a mixed bag more than out right failure.  

Hes also the guy who found Glow at RG.  He picked wrong on Pinter so if he survives we will see how adjusts there.

The only two positions I think he’s out right failed on are LT and QB.  Unfortunately for him the later might very well cost him his job because as we are seeing if you don’t have a QB having the other stuff doesn’t matter much.

8 hours ago, #12. said:

Have any of them watched film of Matt in 2022?

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Some of these players need to look in the mirror. 

Sure, some players need to look in the mirror....

But even leaders have hinted at unhappiness with things. 

Regardless, it's not a reach to assume Reich has lost the locker room. And it's pretty clear Reich has lost most fans. And the media, who is the last to criticize to coaching (in Indy), is now criticizing.... 

And the organization in general (ownership, GM, HC), all look bad (for various things). 

8 hours ago, DiogoSales said:

Every losing team has a locker room problem..

Play better and just win, cures all.

OK, but what does it take to play better? Just telling the team to play better won't work. I hear a lot of fans saying we have a lack of talent. Maybe not?

9 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

While I agree with some of this, I don't agree on the kicker.   Getting rid of him was a good move for the Colts.   While he was OK, he wasn't great.   He couldn't kick off.  

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well….   I tried to give you a compliment.   I guess today you weren’t in the mood to receive it.    Maybe some other day?

Heck, maybe some other year.     :giveup:

If you issue a backhanded ,belittling compliment to me, you can expect a backhanded,belittling response.

9 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't think it's rocket surgery.

First, the team is losing, when they expected to be competing for a playoff spot. Second, there's a new QB every year, with at least another year of QB change on the way. That's enough for a locker room to turn sour.

I think it's really simple. There doesn't have to be ill will, there doesn't have to be any finger pointing. Any time a team is losing when they expected to be winning, there will be players-only meetings, reports of unhappy players, and most of the time big roster and coaching staff changes are close behind.

It's not rocket surgery but the pay your own players approach seems like a good one when worthy. It's on the players to step up and not lay down on the job. There are certain leaders in life, who were loyal to me, I'd run through a brick wall for if I had to. To me that's the perception the Colts front office wants to portray this team but it doesn't appear to be that way.

14 hours ago, JediXMan said:

This team has been done with Reich and this coaching for awhile. Some made out in better shape (Hines). While others were scapegoated like Ryan. 

Reich was following orders, when benching Ryan.
  One thing the players know is that they have an Owner who hates to lose and that blame can be assessed a crossed the board. Reich didn’t miss blocks, drop passes, fumble in the red zone or allow a two score lead to disappear.

One thing that can insure a losing season is to start pointing fingers. I would like to think they’re better than that.

28 minutes ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

It's not rocket surgery but the pay your own players approach seems like a good one when worthy. It's on the players to step up and not lay down on the job. There are certain leaders in life, who were loyal to me, I'd run through a brick wall for if I had to. To me that's the perception the Colts front office wants to portray this team but it doesn't appear to be that way.

Someone in a podcast  made a good point. Ballard should stop extending and paying non premium positions.He brought Hines and you can find the exact same for cheaper. In the draft. Also their may be a better option then your own free agent.

Archived