Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rock Ya-Sin / Yannick Ngakoue trade

lollygagger8

I don't put a lot into PFF grades, but I have been watching Yannick closely on the last two games. He has been bad, but I didn't realize how bad. 

Rock sitting at 64.4 PFF grade 

Yannick is currently 34.6 PFF grade

Glad Rock is doing well. He really turned it on last year - esp from where he started.

On the other hand, Yannick doesn't even get close to the QB, and even got stonewalled by #17 on Jax (over sized WR). What's the deal? He was handpicked by Gus, and it's not like he doesn't know the system.  

Facyson is playing well (67.6) but not sure why Rogers isn't getting ANY snaps in the last two games.

1 minute ago, jbaron04 said:

We don’t get teams in long passing downs at all

Thats right, but Yannick is being handled one on one.......

We need sacks on 3rd and 4 as well as sacks on 3rd and 15

We have MANY .... VERY HIGH paid players that are underplaying their contract significantly

Thats how you lose in the NFL

When your "STARS" as just another average player........

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

And none of this means it was a bad trade 2 games in. It definitely took Autry multiple games in year 1 before we felt he could play. The next couple games could be entirely different for Yannick.

I completely agree that its early but the returns are really bad so far when you consider the QB's Rock/Raiders have faced in Herbert and Murray and we've played Mills and Lawrence and yet Rock is grading much higher. 

I understand there's a ton that goes into this but, on the surface, we need something to change. 

6 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

I completely agree that its early but the returns are really bad so far when you consider the QB's Rock/Raiders have faced in Herbert and Murray and we've played Mills and Lawrence and yet Rock is grading much higher. 

I understand there's a ton that goes into this but, on the surface, we need something to change. 

Outside of Paye really no one on the line has done much so far. Not even Buckner.  Frank touched on specifically needing to reevaluate things from a scheme standpoint to free up the group more. I dont think Yannick turned into a bad player overnight.

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

This tells me yet again we have a major coaching problem. I don’t believe for a second guys like Ngakoue, Braden Smith, Ryan Kelly, and Deforest Buckner all of a sudden just forgot how to play football. They have all shown they are very good players not long ago. 

I'm curious what would happen to an all-star defensive player like. Like, say for example we got Aaron Donald on our team. Would he suddenly be trash? Or would he continue to be a monster?

23 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

This tells me yet again we have a major coaching problem. I don’t believe for a second guys like Ngakoue, Braden Smith, Ryan Kelly,

Dude.  They have literally had the same coaches for years.  They were good under their coach before , now are bad under that same coach now.

What changes is the teammates around them season by season.

39 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

This tells me yet again we have a major coaching problem. I don’t believe for a second guys like Ngakoue, Braden Smith, Ryan Kelly, and Deforest Buckner all of a sudden just forgot how to play football. They have all shown they are very good players not long ago. 

OL coaching was already on the decline, DL coach left and our secondary coach left to be DC under our former DC Eberflus with the Bears. So, yeah, we have a coaching problem but it is Ballard's job to get the right coaches for the defensive system and the trenches too, IMO. Frank can recommend position coaches but the buck stops with Ballard, who also has his thumb prints all over this D since it was the D he wanted to implement all along. Ed Dodds will pretty soon want to bolt this sinking ship.

49 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I'm curious what would happen to an all-star defensive player like. Like, say for example we got Aaron Donald on our team. Would he suddenly be trash? Or would he continue to be a monster?

I’m willing to bet that with this coaching staff he would not be near the player he has been. Coaching matters. 

44 minutes ago, chad72 said:

OL coaching was already on the decline, DL coach left and our secondary coach left to be DC under our former DC Eberflus with the Bears. So, yeah, we have a coaching problem but it is Ballard's job to get the right coaches for the defensive system and the trenches too, IMO. Frank can recommend position coaches but the buck stops with Ballard, who also has his thumb prints all over this D since it was the D he wanted to implement all along. Ed Dodds will pretty soon want to bolt this sinking ship.

Bad coaching may be a team effort.

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I don't put a lot into PFF grades, but I have been watching Yannick closely on the last two games. He has been bad, but I didn't realize how bad. 

Rock sitting at 64.4 PFF grade 

Yannick is currently 34.6 PFF grade

Glad Rock is doing well. He really turned it on last year - esp from where he started.

On the other hand, Yannick doesn't even get close to the QB, and even got stonewalled by #17 on Jax (over sized WR). What's the deal? He was handpicked by Gus, and it's not like he doesn't know the system.  

Facyson is playing well (67.6) but not sure why Rogers isn't getting ANY snaps in the last two games.

There's a reason why he can't stick with a team 

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Frank needs to get control of the team, coaches included.   The head coach needs to fix these issues.  

4 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Facyson is grading better then Rock and Yannick an upgrade over AQM...plus Gilmore an upgrade over Rhodes. Seems like we did quite well overall player wise.

In the long run I hope you are right

So far......Yannick was brought in to get sacks and pressures.....   he has 0 sacks so far.....  and 2 "hurries"

Thats mucho dinero

5 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I was kinda stunned when we traded him.. now I'm REALLY stunned lol. We can't pressure anyone. Then I watch the bills last night pressure AND stop the run with only 4 haha

I'm starting to wonder whether the Colts just have bad position coaches. At some point, you have to ask why talented players are playing below their level of talent. If you've got a position coach teaching the wrong techniques, and instilling the wrong habits,, then that would explain some of it.

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

We have MANY .... VERY HIGH paid players that are underplaying their contract significantly

He is not a von miller type player who is an every down game wrecker. Simple a guy that gets 8 sacks a season 

18 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

The Yannick trade was as brilliant as drafting a DL with a torn Achilles in the second round. It’s truly Smartest Guy in the Room tactics. 

Ballard loves spending those second round picks on those defensive linemen. This time he traded away the Colts best corner at the time for another DE that he has to pay $13 million too. At least guys like Dayo, Lewis, Banogu, are playing for basically nothing, but still so frustrating. It's even worse when you have Gus Bradley who thinks playing Kenny Moore and Facyson over Isaiah Rodgers makes the defense better.

On 9/20/2022 at 8:12 AM, MikeCurtis said:

They got the $$$, and now they’re coasting.

19 hours ago, masterlock said:

I'm starting to wonder whether the Colts just have bad position coaches. At some point, you have to ask why talented players are playing below their level of talent. If you've got a position coach teaching the wrong techniques, and instilling the wrong habits,, then that would explain some of it.

I mostly agree. But Yannick has been with Bradley for years. He knows how to use him. Teams are throwing short and quick so no pressure.

21 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Yannick needs to step up and get some needed sacks quick, otherwise he'll be heading on to his 4th or 5th team.

The Colts are his 5th team. His first team, the Jaguars laying the smack down last week, it’s only a matter of time before he has another meltdown. Fortunately, the locker room is in a better place for players like him now. 

Archived