Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indianapolis Colts Are Huge Winners From Carson Wentz Trade

Lurker

4 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Some top FA WRs  bolded I think Colts have a chance to get.

1. Davante Adams

2. Chris Godwin, 

3. Allen Robinson

4. Mike Williams

5. Odell Beckham Jr.

6. Christian Kirk, Cardinals

8. Michael Gallup

7. Cordarrelle Patterson

8. JuJu Smith

9. D.J. Chark

10. Antonio Brown

I just really doubt we spend big on a FA WR. 

We have too many holes to fill, too many FAs to re-sign or replace, etc., and don't have a lot of cash. 

I'd rather draft one of the guys I listed in the Draft Position/Class breakout. 

And Williams is an X, which we don't need. 

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

What instrument did he play in band camp ?

Shotgun banjo

2 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

If R Grigson  had been as good at his job as say CHRIS BALLARD LUCK would not taken so much abuse & he might have lived up to his potential .

We just watched our back ups do a decent job in the Arizona game & with the 5 starters the offense is a joy to watch its poetry in motion .

Given this add in the Defense & In my mind LUCK would have had great success . Luck suffered greatly but the man had heart its just the abuse was too much . LUCK was Batman with no Robin or Alfred .

Who?

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Most teams don’t give up a 4 year starter for just a single first round pick in the No.19-28 range, which is where we will be. Can’t ask for a better ROI than that.

Very happy about the trade.

"for just a single first round pick", but also a 2021 R3 pick.

5 hours ago, craigerb said:

"for just a single first round pick", but also a 2021 R3 pick.

I think he meant just one first round pick.  The Rams gave two first rounders (and a three) for Stafford.  

If Watson ever gets traded, I expect the same.  

Bottom line, we have a known franchise QB.  The draft pick(s) are crap shoots.  

I agree that things will only get better, provided he remains under Reich's tutelage and solid OL and JT. He needs to keep working to rid himself of the bad habits which causes turnovers and puts himself in unnecessary bodily injuries. He has a gunslinger attitude which Reich will need to rein in. Reich himself has learned from Andrew Luck that "hero" ball leads to NO AVAILABILITY.

I think the Colts "might" have a franchise QB in Carson Wentz. I think it could be safe to say that this was a "prove it" year so to speak even all the way up to proving to himself he can still help win football games. 

I think it was worth the trade. I think next year is the year we see what Wentz really is having settled into his new team. Im excited for it. I think Wentz can be a top 10 QB every year and maybe even better if he cleans up his footwork and decision making. If he did that he would be a top 5 QB because its clear the talent level is there he just tends to get in his own way.

I think a realistic outlook would be we have a better QB than a guy like Tannehill or Carr... by a little bit. 

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah assuming KC gets the Bye week and we get a 5 seed, if we win our 1st round matchup and a lower seed at 6 or 7 wins they would then draw KC and we avoid them until the AFC Title Game.

This should turn out to be one of the better playoffs in the AFC.  KC is obviously the team to beat but not by much.  It’s wide open and should lead to very close games.  Honestly, I haven’t seen this many teams to have a great chance of making the SB in years. 

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I think he meant just one first round pick.  The Rams gave two first rounders (and a three) for Stafford.  

If Watson ever gets traded, I expect the same.  

Bottom line, we have a known franchise QB.  The draft pick(s) are crap shoots.  

Bingo!!! That’s what I meant. Established starters go for more than 1 first round pick, would have taken 2 first rounders for a young guy like Wentz. Right price at right time for Colts, sorry if it wasn’t clear. :) 

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

This should turn out to be one of the better playoffs in the AFC.  KC is obviously the team to beat but not by much.  It’s wide open and should lead to very close games.  Honestly, I haven’t seen this many teams to have a great chance of making the SB in years. 

The only way I think there could be some dud WC games is if Raiders, Steelers, Dolphins sneak in there.  Those three teams are clearly below a team like Chargers.

20 hours ago, EastStreet said:

• He's #6 in QBR. Mahomes is #7.... His passer rating is almost identical to Mahomes too. If 
  • Played through injury.
  • Played through serious OL issues early
  • Doesn't have the most dynamic WR group
  • New to system, and missed training camp....
  • One of the best TD/INT ratios in the league
  • Philly was a disaster in every way last year

If you still have questions, not sure what answers you're looking for lol....

Wow

1 hour ago, wordofmouth said:

I don't know, when this season is over I guarantee the main topic of on these boards will be how/when do we get a better QB. 

A matter of fact that will be discussed before the day is out the way things are going. 

He isn't going anywhere anytime soon

14 minutes ago, Coltsfan98 said:

Lol because he looked so awesome today? 

He was better than Wentz even with the two interceptions. 

I don't know if I would even want him, but my initial point stands.  There is no way we go into the off season saying " well we are all set a QB".  Granted, there are not a lot of sure fire options out there and I probably would have made the trade with the Eagles as well. 

I just get a kick out of how hard everyone is trying to convince themselves that we are good enough at the most important position on the field. 

I don't know if I would call the Colts "huge" winners.  A lot of it depends on the type of QBs guys like Justin Fields, Mac Jones ultimately turn into as these are guys that would have been available with the way the 2021 draft played out for trade up with the 2022 1st rounder that was given up for Wentz.  

I do think Ballard and the front office did the best they could reasonably do with Wentz in terms of getting a guy with several years experience that is plug and play without the growing pains of a rookie QB, but young enough to still potentially man the position for several years.   

On the other hand, Wentz certainly has not established himself as a franchise QB this year  His play for the better part of the 4 games has been concerning.  Now 3 of them have been wins, but outside of 2nd, 4th quarters of the Arizona game, the passing attack has not been appropriate for a contending team. 

We ARE NOT huge winners in the Wentz trade(so far). But we made a bad situation, no QB, into a competitive situation with good surroundings around him. There really wasn't a better option except Stanford.... or Justin Fields but who would have guessed he would have dropped so far down.

32 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

We ARE NOT huge winners in the Wentz trade(so far). But we made a bad situation, no QB, into a competitive situation with good surroundings around him. There really wasn't a better option except Stanford.... or Justin Fields but who would have guessed he would have dropped so far down.

Time to suck for Bryce

I kid, I kid

3 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I’ll reserve my judgment on how this trade came out until midway through next year. Give Wentz a chance to have a full offseason and our coaching staff a chance to not have a merry-go-round at the QB position for a change.

This is the right way to think. Also gives Ballard a chance to upgrade the WR this offseason. We lack so much speed at the position it’s glaring.

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

OK genius. Tell me how should they addressed the QB position in the off season?

Idk, sucks Andrew Luck put the organization in this position. But taking someone else’s problem wouldn’t have been my plan. No one let’s go of a good QB willingly. If they are available it’s usually for good reason. Being outplayed by Jalen Hurts should have been the first red flag.

Archived