Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indianapolis Colts Are Huge Winners From Carson Wentz Trade

Lurker

I have sat back all season trying to positive about Wentz and hoped the comments on these threads would ring true. I finally had to sign in. I feel like Frank and Wentz both need to go. This mighty sound drastic, keeping these two smells like the Washington Football Team to me. Maybe I am scorned, but I think Frank has been suspect for the last 3 years. Wentz has never been clutch and frankly looked scared yesterday. 

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Idk....

I just went back and read previous gameday threads.

People here were praising him.

The media was praising our team.

Other teams and coaches  around the league were praising and borderline fearing the Colts. 

I "get" that we bombed the last two "win and in" games.

It was definitely a different team the past two weeks.  I know we're not supposed to make excuses, but I can't get past the feeling that some coming off covid list just didn't have the strength and energy needed.

the team overall is not a bad team at all  probably 90 plus percent of poster here agree .   the problem is it has holes still and in the passing game they are huge .   As for carson there was a period he was playing solid from the dolphins game to the bucs game he was okay never great but okay .  the general feeling was as the season got further along he would continue to build and improve  but the opposite happened from the bills game on to the rest of the year he was horrible and regressed back to 2020 form .   people ignored his massive struggles because taylor was taking over games and the defense was getting turnovers .  the patriots game he almost lost it with the pick the cardinals game he played horrible for 3 and a half quarters then finally had a good drive .   that is the problem he proved that 2020 wasnt a fluke by going back to that style again for the last 6 games .   winning makes people ignore the flaws of the team the pass rush is really bad and so is the passing game those are massive holes to get from a 9-8 team to a superbowl team .

On 1/9/2022 at 5:40 PM, Dasteez said:

The Eagles won this trade. Period. No one can debate it. What is it 28M this year? Top 5 QB money. A first 1st and 2nd. And this is what we show for it? Must win against a bad Jags team that got spanked last week by the Pats.

Our franchise is an embarrassment. 

I can debate it - reminds me of a similar trade that looked severely one-sided at first, but history showed it to be just the opposite: the 2004 draft day trade between the Chargers & GIants.

The Giants got Eli Manning, and gave the Chargers Philip Rivers, a 2004 3rd round pick, (used to select Nate Kaeding)  a 2005 1st round pick (used to select Shawne Merriman) & a 2005 5th round pick (traded to Tampa for OT Roman Oben, a starter on their Superbowl XXXVII championship team). The Chargers went from 4-12 in 2003 to 12-4 the following season, winning the AFC West. Rivers, Kaeding & Merriman all went to Pro Bowls and the Giants stunk for the next few seasons - until they won the Superbowl in both 2007 & 2011! 

Basically, the Giants & Chargers swapped HOF QBs (and NYG threw in 3 other draft picks to boot) but the Giants got 2 rings for that haul and the Chargers not only relocated, but saw Rivers, Kaeding & Merriman all finish their careers on other NFL teams so in hindsight, the Giants won that trade going away and that's tough for me to admit from a San Diego perspective!

Carson Wentz had some good games this year and some bad ones too, but if you ask me who is more likely to have a lengthy & productive career as a starting NFL QB, with the potential to win another championship, I'd pick Wentz over Hurts in that category because we've already seen how good Carson could play, he was an MVP candidate until he got injured. Philly may be laughing now, but I  predict that we'll be the ones laughing in time.

7 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I can debate it - reminds me of a similar trade that looked severely one-sided at first, but history showed it to be just the opposite: the 2004 draft day trade between the Chargers & GIants.

The Giants got Eli Manning, and gave the Chargers Philip Rivers, a 2004 3rd round pick, (used to select Nate Kaeding)  a 2005 1st round pick (used to select Shawne Merriman) & a 2005 5th round pick (traded to Tampa for OT Roman Oben, a starter on their Superbowl XXXVII championship team). The Chargers went from 4-12 in 2003 to 12-4 the following season, winning the AFC West. Rivers, Kaeding & Merriman all went to Pro Bowls and the Giants stunk for the next few seasons - until they won the Superbowl in both 2007 & 2011! 

Basically, the Giants & Chargers swapped HOF QBs (and NYG threw in 3 other draft picks to boot) but the Giants got 2 rings for that haul and the Chargers not only relocated, but saw Rivers, Kaeding & Merriman all finish their careers on other NFL teams so in hindsight, the Giants won that trade going away and that's tough for me to admit from a San Diego perspective!

Carson Wentz had some good games this year and some bad ones too, but if you ask me who is more likely to have a lengthy & productive career as a starting NFL QB, with the potential to win another championship, I'd pick Wentz over Hurts in that category because we've already seen how good Carson could play, he was an MVP candidate until he got injured. Philly may be laughing now, but I  predict that we'll be the ones laughing in time.

Football is a team game and it is funny you should mention Eli here.

I always felt Wentz is the kind of guy you could "probably" rely on for a critical 4th qtr. drive at best like Eli IF Wentz is carried by good team support which is how Eli won his SBs. However, Eli at Ole Miss had the same "clutch gene" that he carried on to the NFL, unfazed when the lights shone the brightest. I would like to see that from Wentz but sitting here right now, based on his history, it is just hard for me to see it. But I will give you points for trying. :) 

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Football is a team game and it is funny you should mention Eli here.

I always felt Wentz is the kind of guy you could "probably" rely on for a critical 4th qtr. drive at best like Eli IF Wentz is carried by good team support which is how Eli won his SBs. However, Eli at Ole Miss had the same "clutch gene" that he carried on to the NFL, unfazed when the lights shone the brightest. I would like to see that from Wentz but sitting here right now, based on his history, it is just hard for me to see it. But I will give you points for trying. :) 

I'm not trying to turn Wentz into Eli, just referencing how a trade can appear to be very one-sided at first, but in hindsight it turns out to benefit the other party but for the record, Wentz was once an MVP candidate and Eli never was.

On 1/3/2022 at 10:17 AM, Myles said:

I was against Brissett being a starter from the start.   He is what he is.   A .500 QB.    He no longer had potential to be great.   

I think with another off season (pretty much the first off season) with the coaching staff and Reich, I think he may improve next year.     

You know Brissett is no longer on the Colts.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the answer is no,  Wentz is not the answer to this team's future in the QB dept.  Kurt Warner's video of Wentz pretty much sums up his performance on his techniques, mechanics, inability to find open receivers, etc  pretty much validate what everyone is saying...Wentz has been in the league six years and he's pretty much set in his ways.  I would see him as a back up QB at best in the not too distant future.

NOTE: The Eagles are in the playoffs with our #1 pick.

On 1/9/2022 at 7:51 PM, Les Poulains said:

This thread, my god. The Eagles make the playoffs and get our 1st round pick. Sickening. 

I wouldn’t care that the Eagles made the playoffs and got our first round pick IF we had the playoffs.   Which we should have, but didn’t.   

We didn’t over pay.   But we massively underperformed which bothers me greatly. 

46 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn’t care that the Eagles made the playoffs and got our first round pick IF we had the playoffs.   Which we should have, but didn’t.   

We didn’t over pay.   But we massively underperformed which bothers me greatly. 

The title of the thread is; "Indianapolis Colts are huge winners from Carson Wentz trade". Since the trade partner was Philly, they are relevant in the discussion. And they are thus far massive winners. It's not good for an organization to be made to look so stupid by another.

4 hours ago, Les Poulains said:

The title of the thread is; "Indianapolis Colts are huge winners from Carson Wentz trade". Since the trade partner was Philly, they are relevant in the discussion. And they are thus far massive winners. It's not good for an organization to be made to look so stupid by another.

It really looks like a bad trade now, but I remember hearing that the trade was not good from the beginning. 

Makes me wonder what other teams were looking at Wentz or if Ballard was bidding against himself. 

Archived