Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's Jim got up his sleeve?

TimetobringDfence!

Promising two superbowls in a decade is risky. Especially in today's NFL where a new rule is emphasized to be used to control the playing field and so many factors are out of your control...or Jim made a deal to move the Colts to a bigger market in exchange for growth and superbowls...he never said win two for INDY... he specifically said Colts Organization...sweet dreams this offseason...I have a sick gut feeling about this one...we have been the leagues pet and pushing bag this year with schedule  design and officiating in big games...everyone sees how good the Colts are but our fan base is a smaller steady market...Reich will be gone and so will are team... he is falling on dagger looking like the only reason we are losing right now. When it's really capitalism working at its finest. This squad will be lighting it up somewhere new very soon.. 

This isn't baseball.  In the NFL, market size means next-to-nothing to a team's ability to compete.  

Additionally, the days of publicly funded stadiums are pretty much over.  If, in the future, Irsay wants a new stadium here, or somewhere else, he'll probably have to build it himself.  Thankfully Lucas Oil isn't the disposable piece of junk the RCA Dome was.  I would imagine in 10-15 years it will be refurbished and played in for many more years.

7 minutes ago, #12. said:

This isn't baseball.  In the NFL, market size means next-to-nothing to a team's ability to compete.  

Additionally, the days of publicly funded stadiums are pretty much over.  If, in the future, Irsay wants a new stadium here, or somewhere else, he'll probably have to build it himself.  Thankfully Lucas Oil isn't the disposable piece of junk the RCA Dome was.  I would imagine in 10-15 years it will be refurbished and played in for many more years.

League revenue not competition lol...

Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

League revenue not competition lol...

We aren't as big of a market as we were when Peyton was here...we probably always host the combine to pay the stadium off...and we can barely keep the seats filled...we don't have the true sellouts they claim...I was at the Seahawks home opener and shocked to see so many empties for a season opener..wasn't alot but a lot for that situation...

22 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Promising two superbowls in a decade is risky. Especially in today's NFL where a new rule is emphasized to be used to control the playing field and so many factors are out of your control...or Jim made a deal to move the Colts to a bigger market in exchange for growth and superbowls...he never said win two for INDY... he specifically said Colts Organization...sweet dreams this offseason...I have a sick gut feeling about this one...we have been the leagues pet and pushing bag this year with schedule  design and officiating in big games...everyone sees how good the Colts are but our fan base is a smaller steady market...Reich will be gone and so will are team... he is falling on dagger looking like the only reason we are losing right now. When it's really capitalism working at its finest. This squad will be lighting it up somewhere new very soon.. 

The sky is also falling........

I mean last time I checked I have wanted to go to a game, but unless we are playing a bad team and I want to sit in the nosebleeds tickets are $85 or higher and they sell.  The team is getting plenty of support. Just because we are having an off year and have lost a couple close ones doesn't mean the franchise is leaving.....I would go take some sort of sedative to calm the nerves down a little my friend....

Jim promised us multiple Lombardi trophies when he drafted Andrew Luck. That was nearly a decade ago and the Colts haven't won a division title in seven years while appearing to be on the verge of missing the playoffs in 2021. Let's win the division and a playoff game or two before we start talking about winning Lombardi's. Lol.

7 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

We aren't as big of a market as we were when Peyton was here...we probably always host the combine to pay the stadium off...and we can barely keep the seats filled...we don't have the true sellouts they claim...I was at the Seahawks home opener and shocked to see so many empties for a season opener..wasn't alot but a lot for that situation...

Market hasn't changed, just fan interest due to quality. 

We used to be 100+% in attendance/capacity pre Luck injury and always top 5. 

Now were 15th. And we're a smaller stadium, so like 26th in raw in attendance. 

There are a lot of teams that are worse off, and a few way worse. WFT is in a horrible position. 

The real issue is not a few empty seats now an then, it's "losing" fans altogether due to years of "meh"... 

And we've started to be pretty meh or at least, inconsistent, the last several years. 

Pagano was 53-43 or 0.552 and had 1.5 years with poor QB replacements, but still had two AFCS championships

Reich is 34-26 or 0.567 and had 1 year with poor QB replacements, and no AFC championships.

Just doesn't feel a whole lot different. It'll take some success before we get back to 100+% territory.

11 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

What? Setting aside the Irsay stuff, the bolded is not even remotely true.

The NFL didn't make their schedule...they just drew the NFCW on a bad year. But they also got 4 games against JAC and HOU, not to mention the NYJ and MIA. Their SOS is slated to finish #12 as of this moment.

And the officiating has been bad all over the NFL this year. But it's silly to suggest that the Colts have been hurt more than most teams. It's really the opposite:

Penalties (Against)

Overall Yards/game: #29

Overall Count/game: #29

Automatic 1st Downs/game: #30 (tied)

Yardage Mitigated/game: #25

Penalty Yards on Automatic 1st Downs/game: #17

Penalties (Beneficiary)

Overall Yards/game: #5

Overall Count/game: #16

Automatic 1st Downs/game: #6

1st Downs on Desperation (3rd and 10+ or 4th and 6+)/game: #2

Yardage Mitigated/game: #2

Penalty Yards on Automatic 1st Downs/game: #1

Basically, the Colts have benefited from penalty yards this far much more than penalties against, including leading the league in DPI yards. And possibly even more important, the Colts benefit from more Automatic 1st Downs than most teams (more 1st Downs on desperation plays than all but one team). They are also second to only one team when it comes to benefiting from mitigated yardage/game (the yardage left to get to the 1st down on that play), which means these penalties are coming at clutch times.

If the NFL was against the Colts this year...then we would likely see far more penalties (especially holding penalties because those can be called on just about any play).  

8 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Someone told me we are contracted to be in Indy until 2034. Is this a real thing?

Not sure about their current lease, but I do no know that they can opt out after 2030 if they aren't one of the top 5 most valuable franchises (which they likely won't be).

10 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Someone told me we are contracted to be in Indy until 2034. Is this a real thing?

They aren't going anywhere.  Owning an NFL franchise in either Indianapolis or New York is essentially a license to print money.  Look at how much the value of the franchise has grown in just a few decades. In the NFL, it doesn't matter much where you are.  The vast majority of revenue comes from TV contracts, not attendance.  A few thousand people here or there won't make or break you.

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

End Of The World Oops GIF by The Gregory Brothers

1 minute ago, #12. said:

They aren't going anywhere.  Owning an NFL franchise in either Indianapolis or New York is essentially a license to print money.  Look at how much the value of the franchise has grown in just a few decades. In the NFL, it doesn't matter much where you are.  The vast majority of revenue comes from TV contracts, not attendance.  A few thousand people here or there won't make or break you.

They can't anyway at least until 2029. We have written contract by Irsay with the city/stadium until then. Irsay loves it here as well, we are fine. I am not worried about this at all. Now in 2029 this could be a problem if Jim no longer owns the team and our contract with the city is up.

Classic Reaction GIF

In exchange for Super Bowls??

Gee how's that working out for those big city market teams like the two from LA? Or the Chicago Bears who represent the 3rd largest city in the nation? 

One of the most storied and powerhouse franchises in NFL history is from a city that's not even in the top 100 for population size including the metro area. 

Irsay isn't moving the team from Indianapolis. 

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Things a little boring at McDonald's this morning?

42 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

What? Setting aside the Irsay stuff, the bolded is not even remotely true.

The NFL didn't make their schedule...they just drew the NFCW on a bad year. But they also got 4 games against JAC and HOU, not to mention the NYJ and MIA. Their SOS is slated to finish #12 as of this moment.

And the officiating has been bad all over the NFL this year. But it's silly to suggest that the Colts have been hurt more than most teams. It's really the opposite:

Penalties (Against)

Overall Yards/game: #29

Overall Count/game: #29

Automatic 1st Downs/game: #30 (tied)

Yardage Mitigated/game: #25

Penalty Yards on Automatic 1st Downs/game: #17

Penalties (Beneficiary)

Overall Yards/game: #5

Overall Count/game: #16

Automatic 1st Downs/game: #6

1st Downs on Desperation (3rd and 10+ or 4th and 6+)/game: #2

Yardage Mitigated/game: #2

Penalty Yards on Automatic 1st Downs/game: #1

Basically, the Colts have benefited from penalty yards this far much more than penalties against, including leading the league in DPI yards. And possibly even more important, the Colts benefit from more Automatic 1st Downs than most teams (more 1st Downs on desperation plays than all but one team). They are also second to only one team when it comes to benefiting from mitigated yardage/game (the yardage left to get to the 1st down on that play), which means these penalties are coming at clutch times.

If the NFL was against the Colts this year...then we would likely see far more penalties (especially holding penalties because those can be called on just about any play).  

The NFL doesn't get to pick your bye week or order you play you oppentents...okay

1 minute ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

Please don't feed the troll.  If you must, then at least mix in some cyanide for added flavor.

:troll:

Says the fan from Maryland lmao...

2 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

As grammatically awesome as this run-on paragraph is, maybe I expect too much from someone that can't even spell Defense. 

36 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

The NFL doesn't get to pick your bye week or order you play you oppentents...okay

Says the fan from Maryland lmao...

The NFL didn't conjure up some random group of teams for the Colts to play. They rotate a division to play in the AFC and one in the NFC, play their own division...and then play the 2nd place team in the other AFC divisions. Basically, the teams (outside of TB) were already decided before the season even started. Doesn't really matter what order they put them in. They could have bunched SEA, ARI, BUF and TB all together the past 4 weeks...and fans would have gone crazy about it before the season. But the reality is that they would have actually gotten ARI sans Murray and SEA sans Wilson. It's just luck.

The only thing the NFL added was the extra TB game. And the Colts aren't the only late bye. If they had taken care of business in some of these games, that bye would be coming at the perfect time to get healthy for a late playoff push (and it sort of is).

30 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I'm pretty sure the Earth is flat too.  At least I can find that on the internet...

If you want to start a new conspiracy theory there are other sites where you can do that.

And "Birds Aren't Real."

They are sophisticated surveillance devices that just look and move like birds...and poop and reproduce like birds.

50 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Classic Reaction GIF

In exchange for Super Bowls??

Gee how's that working out for those big city market teams like the two from LA? Or the Chicago Bears who represent the 3rd largest city in the nation? 

One of the most storied and powerhouse franchises in NFL history is from a city that's not even in the top 100 for population size including the metro area. 

Irsay isn't moving the team from Indianapolis. 

Methinks at least one of those LA teams will be in the SB this year. I thought it was the LAR, but now I think it's the LAC, with Herbert battling Mahomes in the AFCCG.

I'm not sure why everyone, including the OP, is going into a long winded approach in their responses here. Based purely on the OP's title of this thread I will take a stab at answering it..  :thinking:...What's Jim have up his sleeve.... :thinking:..... I got it!!

His arm.... :thmup: .....:lol:

33 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I'm not sure why everyone, including the OP, is going into a long winded approach in their responses here. Based purely on the OP's title of this thread I will take a stab at answering it..  :thinking:...What's Jim have up his sleeve.... :thinking:..... I got it!!

His arm.... :thmup: .....:lol:

I'm going with stacks of hundos... Lol:cash:

3 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

trolling are ye?

Oh, Dear God…..

But this is sure NOT to age well. 

Yet another dumpster fire of a post….   The website is having a bad, bad week….

:giveup:

Maybe we can talk to Josh McDaniels again and let the past be a history and start over.  We are a forgiving country.  This way he  can bring some of that winning formula from NE., besides he would have the inside track on beating NE every year if both teams make the playoffs every year, I have a feeling with their OROY candidate, they'll be in the playoffs again and again.  Just saying.

19 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Maybe we can talk to Josh McDaniels again and let the past be a history and start over.  We are a forgiving country.  This way he  can bring some of that winning formula from NE., besides he would have the inside track on beating NE every year if both teams make the playoffs every year, I have a feeling with their OROY candidate, they'll be in the playoffs again and again.  Just saying.

I won't lie...I was intrigued by McDaniels implementing an offense here. But dude's a snake...completely set up Ballard.

Huh?

“Always host the combine”?

The opposite is happening.    The NFL wants to rotate the combine among various cities to create a bidding war.   You know, exactly how they’ve done the draft for the last 5 years or so.  

You may have written a post where every sentence is not only completely false, but the exact opposite is true. 

If you’re not deeply regretting your post by now, you soon should be!   Holy Cow! 

12 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I won't lie...I was intrigued by McDaniels implementing an offense here. But dude's a snake...completely set up Ballard.

I doubt McDaniels set up Ballard.   They share the same agent.   And the agent dropped McDaniels when he reversed himself.   I’m not defending McDaniels.   I’m only saying I think there’s much more to this story than McDaniels doing what he did deliberately. 

Archived