Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nightmare scenario is slowly unfolding

JediXMan

28 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You don't bench a guy, simply to get out of a contract term. 

Well, not unless you want to be "that guy" or "that GM", and never get a conditional term in a contract ever again.

Now if you wanted to side step things, you find some minimal/minor clean up surgery for his ankle or foot, and put him on IR to make it look good.... lol

This is exactly what is going to happen if we fall of out the playoff race. Book it.

I think the nightmare scenario is Wentz being just completely awful. In that situation, we have little to no future at the QB position, and as a team we are dead in the water and needing a miracle or a sell-the-farm trade to avoid a rebuild. 

This in my opinion is the second-worst scenario. Wentz is doing well, but injuries, poor coaching, and poor playing have sunk the team for the season.

The first scenario kills this team for 5-10 years, the second kills this team for just this one. I think we’re still in number 2.

But neither are what I expected from this year and being in either one is a soul-crushing spot to be in as a fan.

1 minute ago, chickenMan said:

I think the nightmare scenario is Wentz being just completely awful. In that situation, we have little to no future at the QB position, and as a team we are dead in the water and needing a miracle or a sell-the-farm trade to avoid a rebuild. 

This in my opinion is the second-worst scenario. Wentz is doing well, but injuries, poor coaching, and poor playing have sunk the team for the season.

The first scenario kills this team for 5-10 years, the second kills this team for just this one. I think we’re still in number 2.

Agreed. As bad as this season has been Wentz hasn't even really been the problem, its literally everything else lol. The top 5 OLs is now one of the worst. The top 5 run game is now one of the worst. The top 10 defense is now one of the worst. Bizarre.

1 hour ago, ryta1203 said:

It might get better but just because of the schedule. This team lacks serious talent and Reich is a crappy HC.

This team also has serious talent, 2nd year rb who lead all rookies last year, 2nd year wr who had a career game last week, QB who was drafted #2 in the draft and has show mvp caliber play in the past, Guard who is regarded as the best in the league, DT who lead squad to Superbowl and is among top 3 in the league, linebacker who is top 5, nickle back who is among top 3 in the league......LT who lead squad to a Super Bowl win 2 season ago, Center who is regarded among top 10 if not top 5.

This team has talent, this team is injured and rounding into shape BUT the pieces are there....now coaching may be a different debate but talent is not lacking

47 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

This team also has serious talent, 2nd year rb who lead all rookies last year, 2nd year wr who had a career game last week, QB who was drafted #2 in the draft and has show mvp caliber play in the past, Guard who is regarded as the best in the league, DT who lead squad to Superbowl and is among top 3 in the league, linebacker who is top 5, nickle back who is among top 3 in the league......LT who lead squad to a Super Bowl win 2 season ago, Center who is regarded among top 10 if not top 5.

This team has talent, this team is injured and rounding into shape BUT the pieces are there....now coaching may be a different debate but talent is not lacking

U r talking mostly past tense. It is what r they doing today and going to do tomorrow.

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

the offense is only averaging 16 points per game that is a huge problem .

This is my biggest gripe with Reich. Was supposed to be this offensive guru, super new age, dynamic playcaller. Over the past 3 years I've never been so bored watching a team on offense in years.

5 hours ago, M0NEYdontLIE said:

I really only see this season as salvageable if we make the playoffs or keep our first round pick. I don't bash my team because I've been a lot more blessed than some other fan bases but this season isn't looking like our year to this point.

Yeah, it looks like a down year with a tough schedule and too many injuries.

15 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

I think Taylor, Pittman, Leonard are very talented. Buckner is above average. 

Draft position means nothing, Wentz is making some bad decisions and isn't playing anywhere near MVP level right now. He's missed wide open guys, he's way too nervous in the pocket.

Nelson seems to be injury prone, I hope Fisher holds up.

Yes, coaching is a major problem right now. Ballard had missed on some picks for sure.

12 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Irsay loves them both and jumped the gun. Say we have a terrible season what thought will Irsay have? Sadly he paid them through 2026. I hope the team doesn’t regress because the fan base will be livid for good reason

I think Irsay thinks we're on the up and he knows that consistency helps.

I live outside Philly.  Probably 90% of my friends are Eagles fans...they are salivating over getting a top 10 pick...right now I believe it is at #2.  You would have to think Irsay would step in if necessary to ensure this doesn't happend...Under no circumstances should the Colts convey at top 10 pick.

Eagles fans created the following Carson Wentz snap tracker:

https://carsonsnaptracker.com

20 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Colts looking to have a top 10 pick yet Reich and Ballard will be too stubborn to bench Wentz. Dumb they agreed to 70% play in the contract ugh.

It's either 75% of snaps or 70% of snaps plus playoff berth.  Obviously he's played virtually all snaps save for the 4th quarter last week.  So he's probably over 75% as of now.  But it's not hard to see a scenario where Wentz gets hurt because we're letting him get molested by opposing defenses.

I know we’re injured, but this feels a lot deeper than just injuries. 

Reich is limited. Real limited. He’s not Pagano bad, but honestly there’s not a whole lot of separation between them, and if someone called it a push I don’t even care enough anymore to argue it. 

Wentz hasn’t done anything truly appalling or given any on-field indication that he can’t play at a high level. We just need him to get healthy. And stay healthy. Unfortunately that’s always been the deal with him, so… 

At this point it’s silly to ignore that Ballard has got some things that he needs to answer for. 

It’s been a tough start to the season, but maybe it’s time to consider that maybe it hasn’t been a tough start to the season because of the position we’re in (IE injuries, and drawing a tough stretch of games to start) but because of the position we’ve put ourselves into so far to this point. 

I can’t help but not have the same level of optimism for this team after this start that I did before the season. 

19 hours ago, chickenMan said:

But neither are what I expected from this year and being in either one is a soul-crushing spot to be in as a fan.

I agree with the chickenMan here. Wentz is not the problem. He's banged up because the O-line is banged up, and he paid a price because Aaron Donald was living in the backfield in the Rams game. He is truly injured and probably should not be suiting up at the moment. Give Wentz a little time to truly heal and surround him with a healthier offense and things will get better. A bit. 

The true problem IMO is poor coaching. THAT is a challenge that ownership will have to address. First the O: Frank is a great guy, a QB guru, and a fine leader of men. He is NOT any good at calling plays. And Reich is ignoring the use of his obvious playmakers. Look at Green Bay last night: who did they go to over and over again? Adams and Jones. They get their playmakers the ball. Not Frank. JT and Hines are being criminally underutilized. And the awful red zone play calls are now the norm rather than an exception.

And then there is the bend don't break D: the total lack of a pass rush is killing the Colts once again. And when they blitz, its either picked up or the play is checked down to a wide open receiver filling the blitzer's coverage area. Which means its predictable, like everything else the Colt's D tries. Combine this situation with an obviously banged up Leonard, whose health is far too critical for the D's success, and things look bleak. 

Is the answer to blitz early and often? A Blitzburg approach? Something has to improve here, because the personnel isn't changing any time soon. 

But will the coaches change ANYTHING? My guess is not without an intervention from above. Ballard and Irsay will have to do something soon or it won't just be the season that is lost; let these coaching issues fester long term, and the players will lose confidence in the schemes and the team's leadership/direction. 

My hope: the Colt's brass lays down the law with Frank and tells him to either change his approach to play calling or to yield to his O coordinator. My prediction: The team execs aren't going to undermine their head coach in the middle of the season, so Frank continues to call plays the rest of the year and "tweaks" his approach. But not enough to change the awful decision making. At which point, Irsay will have to push for genuine changes. 

My hope: the Colts' brass lays down the law with Eberflus and tells him to turn up the heat and stop the overall vanilla approach to coverage and blitzing. My prediction: Flus turns up the heat, and the Colts finally get some pressure via some new blitzing schemes. Which improves the pass D. Not enough to make up for an anemic offense should things not change,, but enough to keep the Colts competitive in most of their remaining games. 

I love the Colts, but they are hard to watch right now without feeling some genuine despair about their future. If the coaches get a swift kick in the *, things may change. Lets hope that the team's executives are willing to put on their steel toed boots and do that. 

I don't think that's the nightmare scenario because if it gets to the point where we're looking at a top 10 pick, I'll expect the people in charge to make the pragmatic decision and shut Wentz down. And I've already said it, if that situation presents itself and Reich/Ballard/Wentz can't put their egos aside and do what's right for the franchise, they can all go kick rocks.

The nightmare scenario, which I think has a far greater chance of happening, is that we'll get healthier as the schedule gets a little easier, we'll rack up 6-7 wins against the poorer teams in the league and we'll be in complete purgatory by the end of the season.

I think if Wentz and the oline heal up and they are looking better the second half of the season keep playing him even if it means a good draft luck is lost. As long  as they can feel good Wentz is the guy. But if this team is still playing this bad in week 8 it’s then a lost season and decisions will have to be made that is best for the team.  The issue is how do you do that without looking bad and how would Wentz handle it. Would it create bad blood with Wentz. Or can they convince him he is the guy but we just need to do this and start over next season.

1 minute ago, Les Poulains said:

I don't think that's the nightmare scenario because if it gets to the point where we're looking at a top 10 pick, I'll expect the people in charge to make the pragmatic decision and shut Wentz down. And I've already said it, if that situation presents itself and Reich/Ballard/Wentz can't put their egos aside and do what's right for the franchise, they can all go kick rocks.

The nightmare scenario, which I think has a far greater chance of happening, is that we'll get healthier as the schedule gets a little easier, we'll rack up 6-7 wins against the poorer teams in the league and we'll be in complete purgatory by the end of the season.

Actually I can live with your last scenerio. If the team is improving the second half of the season and it’s building chemistry for next year I can live with giving up that pick.

57 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The Colts will have until week 8 or 9 to dig them out of this hole before they will have to make the decision to sit Wentz. It’s a bad look and won’t go over well with players and Wentz. 

100% correct.  Many players, coaches and staff have worked too hard in trying to have a great season to throw it all away after three games.  I don’t expect any decision to sit Wentz until if and when we are eliminated baring injury of course.   And even then it might not happen if he is having a good year and they feel he is our future.  

34 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I agree with the chickenMan here. Wentz is not the problem. He's banged up because the O-line is banged up, and he paid a price because Aaron Donald was living in the backfield in the Rams game. He is truly injured and probably should not be suiting up at the moment. Give Wentz a little time to truly heal and surround him with a healthier offense and things will get better. A bit. 

The true problem IMO is poor coaching. THAT is a challenge that ownership will have to address. First the O: Frank is a great guy, a QB guru, and a fine leader of men. He is NOT any good at calling plays. And Reich is ignoring the use of his obvious playmakers. Look at Green Bay last night: who did they go to over and over again? Adams and Jones. They get their playmakers the ball. Not Frank. JT and Hines are being criminally underutilized. And the awful red zone play calls are now the norm rather than an exception.

And then there is the bend don't break D: the total lack of a pass rush is killing the Colts once again. And when they blitz, its either picked up or the play is checked down to a wide open receiver filling the blitzer's coverage area. Which means its predictable, like everything else the Colt's D tries. Combine this situation with an obviously banged up Leonard, whose health is far too critical for the D's success, and things look bleak. 

Is the answer to blitz early and often? A Blitzburg approach? Something has to improve here, because the personnel isn't changing any time soon. 

But will the coaches change ANYTHING? My guess is not without an intervention from above. Ballard and Irsay will have to do something soon or it won't just be the season that is lost; let these coaching issues fester long term, and the players will lose confidence in the schemes and the team's leadership/direction. 

My hope: the Colt's brass lays down the law with Frank and tells him to either change his approach to play calling or to yield to his O coordinator. My prediction: The team execs aren't going to undermine their head coach in the middle of the season, so Frank continues to call plays the rest of the year and "tweaks" his approach. But not enough to change the awful decision making. At which point, Irsay will have to push for genuine changes. 

My hope: the Colts' brass lays down the law with Eberflus and tells him to turn up the heat and stop the overall vanilla approach to coverage and blitzing. My prediction: Flus turns up the heat, and the Colts finally get some pressure via some new blitzing schemes. Which improves the pass D. Not enough to make up for an anemic offense should things not change,, but enough to keep the Colts competitive in most of their remaining games. 

I love the Colts, but they are hard to watch right now without feeling some genuine despair about their future. If the coaches get a swift kick in the *, things may change. Lets hope that the team's executives are willing to put on their steel toed boots and do that. 

One thing that baffles me is Flus’ defensive schemes. They are incredibly bland and predictable. I will compare Flus’ schemes to Indiana University’s schemes in college football. IU does not get stellar pressure, but what they do is disguise blitzes and change their scheme on the back end during plays. What this does is make it immensely more difficult for the opposing QB to diagnose the D, which leads to longer times going through reads, which combined with the disguised blitzes gets pressure on the QB and forces poor play. With Flus, it is either an obvious blitz or no blitz, and then a soft zone or man coverage. It doesn’t work because any QB that’s not a rookie or totally braindead can read that D in less than two seconds. We need either a new D coordinator, or Flus needs to radically change his scheme.

Epic meltdown if Jacoby leads the Dolphins to a victory, and the Front Office knows it. The Colts paid Jacoby 30 million dollars for a 2 year contract. The Dolphins signed him for 1 year at 5 million. Third down pass rush, and redzone Oline play are destroying the this team. Ballard has repeatedly said the foundation of the team is the OL & DL. Many players have been paid at the top level of their positions - not much to show for it so far. We lack a physical identity. Teams are really going to load the box unless we can show we can stretch the field - Granson/Strachan?  Honestly, the best the Oline has ever looked was with fired Oline coach. Team identity begins with the coaching staff. Really a bad look here knowing the team has been evaluating Eason for over a year now - Why would Hundley have not been the Backup QB since the preseason; instead of this very strange game time shuffle. Really makes the talent evaluation look inept. 

23 hours ago, ColtTerp said:

Ballard building this team trough the draft like he said he wanted to do is clearly not working. You have to bring in legitimate free agents and he refuses to do so. His draft selections outside of a couple home runs have been awful.

alot on here seem to think ballards method works , right, new colts fan and superman

7 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Actually I can live with your last scenerio. If the team is improving the second half of the season and it’s building chemistry for next year I can live with giving up that pick.

I agree with you. Also, let's be honest.... Ballard will just draft some lame DE or something instead of an explosive skill player like Metcalf. That first rounder is getting flushed no matter how you look at it. 

Archived