Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz Injury Thread

runthepost

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

This is Eason’s opportunity.  They aren’t going to bring in another vet,  hopefully Eason makes the most of it.

#EASONSEASON

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Think positive. It looks like we wont be giving up a #1 next year lol.

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Lol. We got our 1 back. 

Only if we're looking at the latter part of the return timetable.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I know, but I'd think that if I knew I had a broken bone in my foot, it might start causing me some pain at a critical moment.  Playoffs?

Could have had it removed after any season, IMO.

The explanation gives me a sense of some irresponsibility on someone's part.

I can imagine when it happened, the Dr. said there was no need to operate and would only need to be operated on if it caused a problem in the future. Players prefer not to get surgery if they don't need it and it wasn't until now that it was needed, so I don't think there's any irresponsibility here. 

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich said they are confident it will be on the low end. Also said if he can tolerate discomfort he can come back quicker.

Fingers crossed.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is a huge time frame. 5 weeks means he would miss 0 games. 12 weeks means he would miss 8 games. 5-12 weeks, wow what a way to go out on a limb FO lmao . That is like saying someone may be out for a game or 8 haha 

No kidding. Really looking forward to all speculation about his return for TWO freakin' months.

Just now, shasta519 said:

No kidding. Really looking forward to all speculation about his return for TWO freakin' months.

lmao dude had this "issue" since high school. Finally gets surgery a month before playing for the Colts. I'll stop being salty, we did draft QBs in back to back drafts maybe one of them will be a nice shock

1 minute ago, Shive said:

I can imagine when it happened, the Dr. said there was no need to operate and would only need to be operated on if it caused a problem in the future. Players prefer not to get surgery if they don't need it and it wasn't until now that it was needed, so I don't think there's any irresponsibility here.

I know, but if I'm a starting NFL QB, I wouldn't want to take the chance that it might flare up as the team was heading into the playoffs.   Eliminate the risk, if its a minor procedure.

This sounds like its not much more severe than the standard, "clean up" procedure.

I'm glad they pulled the trigger quickly and didn't opt for the "let's wait and see if rest does the trick" thing.  Rest might make him feel well enough to start going again.  But it seems like a matter of time before it would return with a vengeance.

But I have to say:  that 5-12 week recovery range raised my eyebrows a little bit.  If it's 5 weeks, he misses one game.  If it's 12 weeks he misses almost half of the season.

4 minutes ago, Coltsfan98 said:

I'm guessing he still starts week one.

I really doubt he starts week 1.  I am thinking Week 4. 

Unfortunately our early schedule is tough.  Seahawks, Rams, Titans  That's a rough slate to have for your first NFL start.  

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They are playing it safe because of what happened with Luck is my guess. I say he is out for 8 weeks. I am just expecting the worse case scenario so I don't get my hopes up.

Oh...I am dooming right there with you. These ranges are usually conservative anyways. 12 weeks is midseason. That's possibly "miss the whole season" time of timeline.

Getting very ahead of myself, but I am more curious about what happens if he's ready around midseason. Either Eason has been playing well OR he hasn't and the season probably isn't going well. Do they give him an audition for next year, or just let him rest up.

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

I really doubt he starts week 1.  I am thinking Week 4. 

Unfortunately our early schedule is tough.  Seahawks, Rams, Titans  That's a rough slate to have for your first NFL start.  

The first priority for Eason is to not get injured.  The second is to not throw INTs.

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

Oh...I am dooming right there with you. These ranges are usually conservative anyways. 12 weeks is midseason. That's possibly "miss the whole season" time of timeline.

Getting very ahead of myself, but I am more curious about what happens if he's ready around midseason. Either Eason has been playing well OR he hasn't and the season probably isn't going well. Do they give him an audition for next year, or just let him rest up.

Wentz starts immediately when he is ready no matter what.  Eason could have proved that he is a viable backup and potential NFL starter.

On 8/1/2021 at 8:21 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

NFL athletes are on an entire different level than us or what I was at 1 time but a lot guys have some the freakish injuries it seems. I have never claimed to be on that level, if I was I would've made the NFL. I respect what they do believe me but some players are tougher than others, Rivers never missed a game regardless.

I agree you just seemed to imply that Wentz wasn't tough with your first post.\

Wentz's problem has nothing to do with toughness.  Now it's highly possible that Wentz's body just was not built to take the pounding at the NFL level without something breaking or tearing.   But that's honestly true for most people and quite frankly there is nothing that Wentz or anyone else could do about that.  

But a guy who can get up from a torn ACL and throw a TD pass.  He's tough enough.  

In fact perhaps that toughness could come into play here.  Sounds like the determination of if he can play or not revolves heavily around how much pain he can endure.  Although I will say that his mobility might be hampered quite a bit if his foot is hurting him.  

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

I'm glad they pulled the trigger quickly and didn't opt for the "let's wait and see if rest does the trick" thing.  Rest might make him feel well enough to start going again.  But it seems like a matter of time before it would return with a vengeance.

But I have to say:  that 5-12 week recovery range raised my eyebrows a little bit.  If it's 5 weeks, he misses one game.  If it's 12 weeks he misses almost half of the season.

The skeptic in me thinks it's intentional. If they said 9-12 weeks, "the season is lost" mindset kicks in. If they say possibly only 5 weeks, people can have hope. But the fact that there is a scenario where he is out 3 months...means there is a scenario where he is out 5 months (which is the season).

The bitter fan in me thinks this is heading toward IR from a setback during rehab. Ugh...I didn't even want to trade for Wentz, but I wanted to see how he did. This just sucks. 

On 8/1/2021 at 1:57 AM, John Waylon said:

So. Just being hypothetical here… the wheels fall off ala 2011. Just an absolute train wreck. Top 5 pick bad. Wentz never plays a snap. 

Should we consider going QB in that situation next spring?

I know I would do it if I liked a QB at that spot.  I have never been that sold on CW for the colts anyway though 

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yeah when I said 8 weeks, I meant 8 games actually. If Eason can go 4-4 we are good to go but none of us have no idea if he will even be better than JB, he could play like Painter Fail Falling Down GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

With Indy's brutal schedule the first 5 weeks of the season, I would not rush him back, and wait until he is absolutely 100%.

May give us a chance to both get him fully healthy while also getting back our 2022 1st round pick. Gotta think longterm on this. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Wentz starts immediately when he is ready no matter what.  Eason could have proved that he is a viable backup and potential NFL starter.

No matter what? I don't know about that. They haven't even seen Wentz play yet and he will be coming back from injury. There are scenarios where it doesn't seem prudent.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah when I said 8 weeks, I meant 8 games actually. If Eason can go 4-4 we are good to go but none of us have no idea if he will even be better than JB, he could play like Painter Fail Falling Down GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

Easton IMO has more upside than JB.  But Easton is also super super raw.  He didn't get a pre-season his rookie season and only got 3rd team reps which isn't a lot of work in practice.

6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I agree you just seemed to imply that Wentz wasn't tough with your first post.\

Wentz's problem has nothing to do with toughness.  Now it's highly possible that Wentz's body just was not built to take the pounding at the NFL level without something breaking or tearing.   But that's honestly true for most people and quite frankly there is nothing that Wentz or anyone else could do about that.  

But a guy who can get up from a torn ACL and throw a TD pass.  He's tough enough.  

In fact perhaps that toughness could come into play here.  Sounds like the determination of if he can play or not revolves heavily around how much pain he can endure.  Although I will say that his mobility might be hampered quite a bit if his foot is hurting him.  

Yeah I normally try to word my posts where people understand them for the most part. Sometimes my A game isn't there.

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

If this is an aggravated injury from high school, is it out of bounds for me to ask how (or if!) it escaped any physicals he's had in 5ish years as a professional athlete?

My understanding is that it was a broken bone that had apparently healed but re-broke in the same spot.  

10 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Well, if this does happen, at least we get the silver lining of our 1st round draft pick next year....and chances are better than it'll be a high one.

That said, I'm not going to give in to the doom and gloom.  Hopefully he's on the field in the first couple weeks.  That seems within the realm of possibility.

3 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

If this is an aggravated injury from high school, is it out of bounds for me to ask how (or if!) it escaped any physicals he's had in 5ish years as a professional athlete?

How would they have discovered today, that it happened in HS, unless someone already knew that it did? 

Seems more likely that it was diagnosed years ago but simply pushed aside because it wasn't bothering him at the moment.  I assume that was also what a doctor told him would be the reason to eventually have surgery.

Edit:  @Valpo2004's comment makes more sense to me.

Archived