Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz Injury Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Myles said:

ESPN is reporting that he is out 5-12 weeks.   That's a big range.   If we go with 8 (in the middle), we should get to keep our 1st rounder.

 

If we're going to have a not so good season,  shouldn't we aim for something better than just a first round pick?......like maybe a Top 5 or #1 overall?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For some reason today I am in a really good mood. Maybe I am being optimistic but I don’t think the Wentz news was that bad. 
 

I do think if we get passed that two week mark and Wentz might look like he is on a longer path to recovery they will try and get Foles.  Also will depend how Eason looks in camp and if he is improving. If you knew Foles wouldn’t screw with Wentz mind he isn’t a bad back up to have. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Shive said:

Return timeframe. There's a possibility he misses no games, or he could miss 6 games.

 

I was just trying to be a little panicky!  I wasn't very clear on being sarcastic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

For some reason today I am in a really good mood. Maybe I am being optimistic but I don’t think the Wentz news was that bad. 
 

I do think if we get passed that two week mark and Wentz might look like he is on a longer path to recovery they will try and get Foles.  Also will depend how Eason looks in camp and if he is improving. If you knew Foles wouldn’t screw with Wentz mind he isn’t a bad back up to have. 

I don't get why people link Foles and Wentz all the time.   While Foles would be a choice, I don't think he has to be the first choice.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I don't get why people link Foles and Wentz all the time.   While Foles would be a choice, I don't think he has to be the first choice.  

He is probably really the only logical choice. I would be ok with it as long as Wentz was ok with it and only if Wentz was going to miss more then a couple games.  But it would be just weird. Plus players are getting used to Eason and throwing another QB in there would be confusion. Maybe I could see it as insurance in case Eason struggled through.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Les Poulains said:

By the way, what the hell is that timetable? 5-12 weeks? lol. That's wider than a 20 lane highway. 

Jay Glazer and Frank Reich both explained they won’t know if it’s going to be short or long until two weeks after surgery and they see how his foot responds that’s why it’s so wide.  For what it’s worth Reich did say they believe it will be closer to the shorter end.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who is Kent Sterling?   Until you wrote this post, I had never heard of him. 

Not being in Indy, I only know of Kent Sterling through comments here and elsewhere on the Internet.

 

But every time I see him mentioned, I always think of local news anchor Kent Brockman from The Simpsons.

 

”And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.”

 

kent-brockman-picture.png

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

 

Thanks for sharing.

 

And, honestly, to me,  it's not as bad I thought it would be.    Because the idea didn't originate from Sterling.   It originated from four former black players including Dominique Foxworthy.    I'll see if I can find that video on youtube.

 

But I think it's a candidate for worst take of the year.    And Rivers' play proved it.   And it was further proved by the luke-warm interest in Jacoby as a FA this off-season.     I like Jacoby.   I want a guy like that on my team.   But the idea that replacing him after a disappointing season with a future Hall of Famer is due to racism is just preposterous.     (Sigh...)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

One of the most arrogant and cocky coaches in the NFL. Can't stand Vrabel. 

 

Vrabel is *, but it's a pretty genuine response to a timeline that is 7 weeks wide.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

One of the most arrogant and cocky coaches in the NFL. Can't stand Vrabel. 

 

As a fan of a rival team, I have the requisite amount of sports-fan disdain for Vrabel.  I genuinely hope he loses every game he coaches.  But I have to admit that, beyond opposing him the way I would a movie villain, I actually kinda like him.  There are coaches and players from other teams that I truly dislike.  But he's not one of them.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

 

While, as a fan of a rival team, I have the requisite amount of sports-fan disdain for Vrabel, I genuinely hope he loses every game he coaches.  But I have to admit that, beyond opposing him the way I would a movie villain, I actually kinda like him.  There are coaches and players from other teams that I truly dislike.  But he's not one of them.

If you listen to his press conferences though, he does come off as a jerk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

One of the most arrogant and cocky coaches in the NFL. Can't stand Vrabel. 

I think he’s a terrific coach.   And I don’t think he’s making fun of the Colts, he’s making fun of the big, wide timeline.   Which, if you look around the various threads, so are most of the Colts fans here. 


 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I think he’s a terrific coach.   And I don’t think he’s making fun of the Colts, he’s making fun if the big, wide timeline.   Which, if you look around the various threads, so are most of the Colts fans here. 


 

That's how I took it.   Pretty funny.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I think he’s a terrific coach.   And I don’t think he’s making fun of the Colts, he’s making fun if the big, wide timeline.   Which, if you look around the various threads, so are most of the Colts fans here. 


 

I think his reaction goes to show how even he doesn’t believe the long  time line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

He is probably really the only logical choice. I would be ok with it as long as Wentz was ok with it and only if Wentz was going to miss more then a couple games.  But it would be just weird. Plus players are getting used to Eason and throwing another QB in there would be confusion. Maybe I could see it as insurance in case Eason struggled through.

I don't see Ballard trading for Foles.  More draft capital gone and a pretty big cap hit for a guy that hopefully won't play for many games

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chickenMan said:

I agree with that. But at the same time I do think teams, in some situations, will force players to sit out and heal rather than playing through the pain because a) they don't want the injury to get worse and lose the player for a longer period of time later down the road and b) when the player retires and potentially has health complications when they get older due to age, they don't want to be blamed for mismanaging player health, as has happened with teams with retired players who have had CTE......the NFL is a business, and business is all about optics.

I think CTE is a whole different animal. And I agree teams are more conservative if the injury can get worse. At the same time, we've seen both Rivers and Brady play with injuries that could have gotten worse (not career threatening, but could have gotten worse). Even today Reich talked about Wentz playing earlier if he pain tolerance was at a certain level. 

 

I think it's a bit funny we went from no-surgery to surgery and 5-12 weeks. 

I think it was Adam who broke the no-surgery news yesterday. Ooops.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

If you listen to his press conferences though, he does come off as a jerk.

 

I can't say I've listened to too many of them.

 

But, as I was getting at, as a sports fan you kind of have to consider whether your negative feelings towards a rival player/coach have more to do with them being a rival or if it really is a visceral, personal dislike that goes beyond sports.

 

There are lots and lots of sports figures that I "love to hate" -- because that makes being a sports fan fun.  Just as movies wouldn't be much fun without antagonists, neither would sports.  But "hating" somebody as a sports figure is different than actually hating them as a person.  There was a coach recently whose name rhymed with Vase -- for me, he was more than just a villain on Sunday afternoons.

 

Vrabel has spent time with 3 teams that Colts fans hate:  the Pats, the Texans, and the Titans.  Of course we "hate" him as it relates to football.  I'm just saying that, outside of that, I kinda like him.  He's obviously got a competitive edge about him -- and he seems to have a good sense of humor. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

One of the most arrogant and cocky coaches in the NFL. Can't stand Vrabel. 

Might be cocky, but I laughed and thought the exact same thing when I heard the time line.

 

To me, the 5-12 was basically saying,

 

"hey, better buy your tickets cause he may be back early season, but don't get mad if he's not back till November...." 

 

almost 2 months is very very wide, but it's just something I've come to expect from our FO, and the NFL in general.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not sure if this was posted.

Well, that was a pretty quick turnaround....considering that it was just a matter of hours ago that we were discussing (based on obviously faulty reporting from Rap) Wentz doing rest and rehab.

 

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Irsay sent the jet up to Green Bay to get this surgeon to Indy pronto.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Well, that was a pretty quick turnaround....considering that it was just a matter of hours ago that we were discussing (based on obviously faulty reporting from Rap) Wentz doing rest and rehab.

 

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Irsay sent the jet up to Green Bay to get this surgeon to Indy pronto.

Ah, just noticed that it was a local surgeon doing the procedure -- not Dr. Anderson from Green Bay.  Got confused there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Well, that was a pretty quick turnaround....considering that it was just a matter of hours ago that we were discussing (based on obviously faulty reporting from Rap) Wentz doing rest and rehab.

 

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Irsay sent the jet up to Green Bay to get this surgeon to Indy pronto.

They aren’t using the doctor from Green Bay.  With that said I saw a story that said the Colts and Wentz went back and fourth over the weekend over surgery or to rehab.  I am wondering if Wentz wanted to rehab and maybe his side leaked that story last night.  I have nothing to back that up.  Just a theory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think his reaction goes to show how even he doesn’t believe the long  time line.

I don't think you can take anything out of Vrabel's comment other than that he got a kick out of the wide range of 5-12 weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They aren’t using the doctor from Green Bay.  With that said I saw a story that said the Colts and Wentz went back and fourth over the weekend over surgery or to rehab.  I am wondering if Wentz wanted to rehab and maybe his side leaked that story last night.  I have nothing to back that up.  Just a theory.

 

Or it could've just been genuine indecision on both their parts.

 

That's a tough call.  The team just made a high profile trade to get this guy.  He's missed a lot of games due to injury.  He's eager to prove himself in a new city after a tumultuous past couple years at his last city.  The team is also eager to show that they've made the right move.  Now he's hobbled by an ancient injury.  I'm sure he really, really wants to be there on game one.  And I'm sure Ballard & Co. really, really want him there too.

 

But I think they've made the right decision.  And, with something like this, the quicker the better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

 

Or it could've just been genuine indecision on both their parts.

 

That's a tough call.  The team just made a high profile trade to get this guy.  He's missed a lot of games due to injury.  He's eager to prove himself in a new city after a tumultuous past couple years at his last city.  The team is also eager to show that they've made the right move.  Now he's hobbled by an ancient injury.  I'm sure he really, really wants to be there on game one.  And I'm sure Ballard & Co. really, really want him there too.

 

But I think they've made the right decision.  And, with something like this, the quicker the better.

Could be clearly I don’t know so I just presented a possible theory but your theory is also very plausible.  
 

When I heard what it was my thought was that’s not something that gets better with rest and rehab, but granted I am not a doctor, so I am with you I think they made the right call to get it done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well if it helps, 6 weeks would be week 1

Folks 6 weeks is the timetable to return to practice.... not return to 100 percent or even start a game. 
 

so do you throw a QB who’s often injured out there in week 1-3 knowing he’s had maybe 3 practices with his new team? A QB who self admits to having a confidence in his game problem already, particularly with his footwork. I know I wouldn’t. Personally if it were me; I’d shoot for him coming back mid season, give him extra time to heal. Yeah it’s likely tossing the season away, but not only will we get our 1 back, but it hopefully gives him time to get stronger and work on those fundamentals and then be set up for the future. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...