Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz Injury Thread


Recommended Posts

Believe it or not, there’s a bigger concern for the organization right now.  
 

First of all, if Carson is out even half the season, it’s not all bad. I’m not talking about the draft pick, I’m talking about the future of the position.  It’s most likely solid assuming he stays healthy and plays like we expect.  

 

If he continues to have injuries, that future is cloudy unless Eason just shows out.  That window may just be opened, but it’s not staying that way forever.  Not with more contracts coming up.  
 

The organization is playing the long game.  They’re going to be overly cautious IMHO, even if it costs a season.  
 

Just my ramblings…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Believe it or not, there’s a bigger concern for the organization right now.  
 

First of all, if Carson is out even half the season, it’s not all bad. I’m not talking about the draft pick, I’m talking about the future of the position.  It’s most likely solid assuming he stays healthy and plays like we expect.  

 

If he continues to have injuries, that future is cloudy unless Eason just shows out.  That window may just be opened, but it’s not staying that way forever.  Not with more contracts coming up.  
 

The organization is playing the long game.  They’re going to be overly cautious IMHO, even if it costs a season.  
 

Just my ramblings…

I don't think they are playing the long game with this season.  They want to win it now with this team hence the move for Carson.  They could have drafted another QB early or just give it to Eason. They thought Carson could win it now for them. Still could but if he's out as long as the doctor predicts then I think they will trade for Foles or someone to help them win now until he's ready.  They are too close to throw a season away with this team.  I think Eason would have to look extremely good in camp and the preseason for them not to make another move.  We are not a rebuilding team we are a contending team and favorites for many.  We will see.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, John Waylon said:

So. Just being hypothetical here… the wheels fall off ala 2011. Just an absolute train wreck. Top 5 pick bad. Wentz never plays a snap. 
 

Should we consider going QB in that situation next spring?

100% you would

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem with drafting a QB in round 1 is you just wasted a 2nd and 3rd on Wentz then. Wentz just went through multiple years of Foles playing over him due to injury then again in 2018 to start the season. Then Eagles drafted Hurts in the 2nd round in 2021 and screwed up Wentz mentally. Most of the fans gave up on him and it took a toll on him. 

 

This situation is even worse then 2021 with Hurts and would end Wentz career in Indy. The Colts, esp Frank did not pay that price to give up on him after one season of an injury which if you draft a top 5 QB you are throwing in the towel.  

 

"If the Colts had a top 5 pick your best situation is to trade back, build that team around Wentz. We have already seen you can get kings ransom for that pick, Realisticly though Colts wont have a top 3 pick so wont be in a area of drafting one of the top QBs coming out. They would have to pay the hefty price to move up which is even more capital spent on QB. Colts would get nothing for Wentz if they did that as well. It would be a cut/release situation the following year. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's insane. A few years ago. I walked to 7-11 to buy a few scratch tickets (about 2 miles), and I ended up losing my $50 with some bad luck after I bought a few $5 and $10 tickets after people lost and I also lost. So even though I was tired, I couldn't take a taxi back home. So of course, a blizzard starts, my parents are at the casino so I can't call them to pick me up, and I literally have to run home two miles in the snow with no money on me uphill most of the way.

 

It was absolutely exhausting. When I got home, I was drinking water like crazy, laying on my back, trying to catch my breath. The hardest two mile run I ever did. My dog was licking my face all worried about me, and it was the hardest thing I had done since high school in gym when we ran laps. 

 

Can't believe you ran 13.3 miles. I can't even comprehend that.

Yeah a lot of people end up walking it. I ran/jogged most of it. I wanted to do it in 2 hours but I was a maniac back then lmao . @SteelCityColt I seen your above your post, if you can do a full marathon in 4 hours that is a great achievement IMO. That is 26 miles as you know. I have never ran/jog/walked that far. There is usually 30,000-35,000 people in our mini here in Indy. The year I ran it, there was a little over 30,000 and I placed in the top 4,000. The guy that won it ran that in like 1 hour and 7 minutes if I remember correctly, he was a Kenyon. The fastest lady ran it in 1 hour and 15 minutes. There are only only few thousand that run it in 2 hours or less because they can't and just end up walking 3 or 4 miles. Some pass out and don't even finish but I don't recall anyone dying thank God. Many do it just to say they did it even if it takes them 3 to 4 hours which is cool. I am competitive and just wanted do it once so I went all out Mental Mode lmao .

 

@Jared CisnerosI did that like 15 years ago, If I tried to run 1 mile today I would be like this homer simpson shock GIF

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don't think they are playing the long game with this season.  They want to win it now with this team hence the move for Carson.  They could have drafted another QB early or just give it to Eason. They thought Carson could win it now for them. Still could but if he's out as long as the doctor predicts then I think they will trade for Foles or someone to help them win now until he's ready.  They are too close to throw a season away with this team.  I think Eason would have to look extremely good in camp and the preseason for them not to make another move.  We are not a rebuilding team we are a contending team and favorites for many.  We will see.  

Carson is the long game, not just the present.  That's why they traded a third and a future second or 1st.  He's supposed to be the guy for the next four years.

 

It was a decision based upon a long term look, instead of going year to year with Rivers.  Whether Rivers retired on his own or was told that the Colts were going in another direction, Ballard sensed that Wentz was available and looked at the position with a 4 year landscape, with a contract that game him a 2 year out if Wentz stunk.

 

I don't think he trades for a QB unless Wentz is going to miss the season.

 

Also, the fans will accept Eason struggling or Hundley struggling more than they accepted JB struggling, because Hundley and Eason still have upside and Wentz would be back next season.  JB was both the present and future with little upside left and the fans rejected him about week 12 of 2019. 

 

Its not Ballard's job to care about fan acceptance, but its part of Irsay's equations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking back on how Rivers played all 16 games last season might of been wise to trade Jacoby so Eason could of had more practice reps. Then he wouldn’t of had a entire year with nothing.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah a lot of people end up walking it. I ran/jogged most of it. I wanted to do it in 2 hours but I was a maniac back then lmao . @SteelCityColt I seen your above your post, if you can do a full marathon in 4 hours that is a great achievement IMO. That is 26 miles as you know. I have never ran/jog/walked that far. There is usually 30,000-35,000 people in our mini here in Indy. The year I ran it, there was a little over 30,000 and I placed in the top 4,000. The guy that won it ran that in like 1 hour and 7 minutes if I remember correctly, he was a Kenyon. The fastest lady ran it in 1 hour and 15 minutes. There are only only few thousand that run it in 2 hours or less because they can't and just end up walking 3 or 4 miles. Some pass out and don't even finish but I don't recall anyone dying thank God. Many do it just to say they did it even if it takes them 3 to 4 hours which is cool. I am competitive and just wanted do it once so I went all out Mental Mode lmao .

 

@Jared CisnerosI did that like 15 years ago, If I tried to run 1 mile today I would be like this homer simpson shock GIF

 

On paper (extrapolating half time) I should have gone under 3 hours in a marathon, the best I've managed on 3 attempts was 3 and a half. It's just an absolute beast mentally, and it took the first 2 goes to realise some of the training isn't just physical but mental too. The last time I popped a hammy 5 miles to go, and limped it home, but that was very much a product of over training and not tapering correctly. 

 

I might have to check our the Indy race one day, I see you get to go around the speedway but no run by of LOS. Nice and flat too! The good (bad?) thing of where I live is lots of hills so if you can cope with running around them anything flat feels easy breezy compared. 

 

Part of why I love sports is seeing how far humans can push themselves, especially with specificity of certain sports. In terms of Height/Weight/Speed as a combo NFL athletes are just beasts. If they could master the technical aspects I do wonder how they would do in something like a decathlon.

 

Back to topic, I think we're in for the Eason show. Might as well see what we've got, and if it's not a lot, maybe be glad we might have that 1 back... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don't think they are playing the long game with this season.  They want to win it now with this team hence the move for Carson.  They could have drafted another QB early or just give it to Eason. They thought Carson could win it now for them. Still could but if he's out as long as the doctor predicts then I think they will trade for Foles or someone to help them win now until he's ready.  They are too close to throw a season away with this team.  I think Eason would have to look extremely good in camp and the preseason for them not to make another move.  We are not a rebuilding team we are a contending team and favorites for many.  We will see.  

Foles is not going to be a Colt. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Foles is not going to be a Colt. 

I wouldn’t say that for sure. If Wentz misses half the season I could see them trading for him in case Eason struggled. But they won’t do it for anything like 2 or 3 games.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Sad for the Colts season, at least we get to keep our #1 draft pick.

We don’t even know what the injury is let a lone how long he will be out.  It’s a little early to write off the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I wouldn’t say that for sure. If Wentz misses half the season I could see them trading for him in case Eason struggled. But they won’t do it for anything like 2 or 3 games.

Chris Ballard is not going to trade any more draft capital on the QB position. You can take that to the bank. He will either ride Eason or Sam or some vet FA. But he’s not trading for Foles or any other QB. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

This could be either good or really bad. I hope we don't realize he needs a surgery right before the start of the season. 

Key is the next few days I have a feeling if it doesn’t improve in a week at most he will get surgery on whatever it is.  I don’t think they are going to wait until the start of the season to do the surgery.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bummer. 

 

Such a shame when these injuries happen, any time, and especially right before the season starts. 

 

Edit:  I just read the comment above.  I hope surgery is not needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Key is the next few days I have a feeling if it doesn’t improve in a week at most he will get surgery on whatever it is.  I don’t think they are going to wait until the start of the season to do the surgery.

Good catch on "the next few days", for some reason it slipped past me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Bummer. 

 

Such a shame when these injuries happen, any time, and especially right before the season starts. 

 

Edit:  I just read the comment above.  I hope surgery is not needed.

You and me both Gramz!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2021 at 5:00 PM, gspdx said:

 

All that without even an examination!  You should be the team doc.

 

"Can you walk?  Then you're good.  Take 4 weeks off."

 

By the way, I walked with broken bones in my feet on two different occasions and each foot.  With one it wasn't too bad but gives me lots of trouble today.  The other I broke while I was a First Sergeant in the Air Force.  The next day I spent the day running a grill flipping burgers for our squadron picnic.  The next day after that I went to the hospital where they put my in a non-walking cast for 6 weeks.

I don’t care about your medical history. After Rapoport’s report today just confirms what I’ve been thinking. It’s a sprain. He’ll take all the precautions needed to be available for week one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, a06cc said:

I don’t care about your medical history. After Rapoport’s report today just confirms what I’ve been thinking. It’s a sprain. He’ll take all the precautions needed to be available for week one. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but usually sprains are rarely connected to surgery. But there’s a reason he’s trying rest and rehab first. Sounds like surgery will put him out for awhile.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

 

This actually is what keefers tweet is saying. Why there is no timeline yet.

 

 

1 minute ago, boo2202 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but usually sprains are rarely connected to surgery. But there’s a reason he’s trying rest and rehab first. Sounds like surgery will put him out for awhile.

Or he doesn’t want to miss any games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, stitches said:

This could be either good or really bad. I hope we don't realize he needs a surgery right before the start of the season. 

Ugh just do the dang surgery and get it over with. Anytime these guys try to avoid it, it ends up worse

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, deedub75 said:

He may have been told that surgery would be season ending or he could do rest and rehab and see how it goes. 

It has  to be season ending to not want to get it fixed and miss a few games. Because we are six weeks out there is time.  Otherwise you just fix the issue. Look what has happened to Michael Thomas. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

He may have been told that surgery would be season ending or he could do rest and rehab and see how it goes. 

I’m thinking it’s the rest and see. I honestly think if he needed surgery he would get it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, a06cc said:

I don’t care about your medical history. After Rapoport’s report today just confirms what I’ve been thinking. It’s a sprain. He’ll take all the precautions needed to be available for week one. 

What kind of sprain requires surgery?

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

This was my fear when we traded for him. He’s made of fragile glass. 

Oh stop. You can’t look back. It happened. Nothing anyone could predict. He had been healthy the last two seasons.

 

Does make me wonder if this was something that he had last year and it’s showing up again. You would think Ballard would of got all his records. Or maybe Wentz never said anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Shive changed the title to Wentz Injury Thread

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...