Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz Injury Thread

runthepost

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This is kind of cracking me up. Sounds like Wentz has that thing where there is a extra bone in the foot. Sometimes those don’t bother athletes at all and sometimes need removed. So he maybe didn’t really injure it.

Well, as always, I'll fully defer to the expertise of the docs.  It's bad enough to be an armchair GM or coach...but it's even worse to be an armchair doctor.  So I won't do it.  Wentz is apparently in the care of the best foot guru in the country.  And that's good.

But I will say this:  I hope the decision to rest rather than have the surgery doesn't come back to haunt us.  Rap's report here says that, if he were to have the surgery, he'd likely miss 1-2 games.  Obviously, the hope is that the foot will heal with rest and he won't have to miss any games.  But if the surgery ends up being needed after all, then he could end up missing a lot more than 2 games.

Seems like a gamble -- hope it's the right one.

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

Well, as always, I'll fully defer to the expertise of Dr. Anderson.  It's bad enough to be an armchair GM or coach...but it's even worse to be an armchair doctor.  So I won't do it.  Wentz is apparently in the care of the best foot guru in the country.  And that's good.

But I will say this:  I hope the decision to rest rather than have the surgery doesn't come back to haunt us.  Rap's report here says that, if he were to have the surgery, he'd likely miss 1-2 games.  Obviously, the hope is that the foot will heal with rest and he won't have to miss any games.  But if the surgery ends up being needed after all, then he could end up missing a lot more than 2 games.

They won’t delay it long enough so he will miss more then a couple games. That is probably why they have time to decide. I don’t think they will wait weeks to decide. If he is only going to miss one or two games he should just have it done so it doesn’t pop back up.

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

They won’t delay it long enough so he will miss more then a couple games. That is probably why they have time to decide. I don’t think they will wait weeks to decide. If he is only going to miss one or two games he should just have it done so it doesn’t pop back up.

I took Rap to mean that he'd miss up to 2 games if he elected to have the surgery now.  If that's right, then waiting to do it later would cause more than 2 missed games, right?

5 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Well, as always, I'll fully defer to the expertise of the docs.  It's bad enough to be an armchair GM or coach...but it's even worse to be an armchair doctor.  So I won't do it.  Wentz is apparently in the care of the best foot guru in the country.  And that's good.

Thinking along the lines that this is a very young team with so much learning/experience needing gained, and that we are unlikely top contenders, i won't get depressed like some here might, if Wenzt costs us just a 2nd rd pick. I find that a not too bad outcome.
 Winning the last game of the season is the Ultimate goal, but there is a road that leads to that cresendo. 
 We have soooo many guys i look forward to seeing them reach their best FB selves. 2022 and beyond looks beautiful to me!!  Just hoping to be here for it!! lol
 My first GO COLTS for 2021.

5 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I took Rap to mean that he'd miss up to 2 games if he elected to have the surgery now.  If that's right, then waiting to do it later would cause more than 2 missed games, right?

Maybe but it sounds like they have a little time to decide. I imagine if it was going to cost more games they would get it done now. Maybe they have a little window to decide before it would cost him more games. He should just do it now. 

19 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Maybe but it sounds like they have a little time to decide. I imagine if it was going to cost more games they would get it done now. Maybe they have a little window to decide before it would cost him more games. He should just do it now. 

There are ~5 weeks until Week 1 and ~6 weeks until Week 2.  Obviously, if he were to have surgery, the earlier he has it, the earlier he comes back from it.  My impression from Rap's report (assuming he's got all his facts straight) is that Wentz would be looking at missing 2 games if he were to have the surgery now.

My fear is that they decide to opt for rest and rehab instead of surgery, missing out on these remaining 5 weeks of off-season, and then he ends up needing the surgery anyway -- in which case, he's likely to miss a chunk of the season.

55 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This is kind of cracking me up. Sounds like Wentz has that thing where there is a extra bone in the foot. Sometimes those don’t bother athletes at all and sometimes need removed. So he maybe didn’t really injure it.

Yeah, if you're born with 6 toes you're more likely to get a toe injury, lol.  

• Shive changed the title to Wentz Injury Thread
2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is a huge time frame. 5 weeks means he would miss 0 games. 12 weeks means he would miss 8 games. 5-12 weeks, wow what a way to go out on a limb FO lmao . That is like saying someone may be out for a game or 8 haha 

Plenty of leeway in supporting something that might impact a draft pick. 

Not saying that any decision will be based on that, but if it works out that he comes back one week after the first round pick turns into a second rounder, this is providing the ground work to have support for any decision should Philly complain.

6 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I wonder what bone in the foot is being removed and if there are any fusions, tendons or ligaments involved. 

I think it reasonable as fans of this team that we prepare for the long side of the projection, and figure he's coming back late season, if at all.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Plenty of leeway in supporting something that might impact a draft pick. 

Not saying that any decision will be based on that, but if it works out that he comes back one week after the first round pick turns into a second rounder, this is providing the ground work to have support for any decision should Philly complain.

@EastStreetmade a poll, I couldn't predict it at the time, now I will say 8 weeks. Can Eason go 4-4?

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I have a bad feeling about this.  

Colts seem to have a history of underplaying starting QB injuries.  

It seems pretty straightforward to me. They gave a bit of a wide return timeframe, but they were way more forthcoming about what was wrong and what was needing to be operated on, so at the moment I think we're fine. I can understand the apprehension around our QB injuries though.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is a huge time frame. 5 weeks means he would miss 0 games. 12 weeks means he would miss 8 games. 5-12 weeks, wow what a way to go out on a limb FO lmao . That is like saying someone may be out for a game or 8 haha 

Foot injuries and rehab always seem to be tough to get accurate timeframes on and can drag on a bit more than other injuries. I also assume the timeframe depends on how much damage is done during the procedure, as well as how well the soft tissue heals.

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

It just started causing him pain.. lol oh yeah I'm gonna start calling this the Manning curse.. 

I know, but I'd think that if I knew I had a broken bone in my foot, it might start causing me some pain at a critical moment.  Playoffs?

Could have had it removed after any season, IMO.

The explanation gives me a sense of some irresponsibility on someone's part.

Just now, Coltsfan98 said:

I'd be surprised if it was more then 5-6 weeks. Sounds like it's a simple procedure where they just go in and remove the bone. Guessing the time to heal and rehab is what the issue will be but doubt it's anywhere near 12 weeks.

Reich said they are confident it will be on the low end. Also said if he can tolerate discomfort he can come back quicker.

Archived