Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Archive Thread (Days 1-4)

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

He's above ave drafting. Terrible in FA.

You're right Rhodes, Autry, Houston,  were terrible signings

Even on the waiver wire he is terrible grabbing players like kenny moore and glowinski

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, tvturner said:

I'll give you $4,000 if you can find a single GM in the history of the league who had to deal with what Ballard has had to deal with

I'll double it if you can find a GM that turned around a roster as fast he did too

That’s a very specific amount...with very loose (and intentionally subjective) terms. 

What did Ballard have to deal with beyond losing a franchise QB? The vast majority of new GMs have to address their franchise QB situation. Ballard is not remotely unique in this aspect. He just had it to do it later. Think about the logic here...if Luck being gone is the reason they haven’t a playoff game the last two seasons...then what exactly is Ballard doing that is unprecedented?

Also, getting the #3 pick in a QB-heavy draft (because Luck was out in 2017)

and being able to trade it back for (3) 2nd round picks was incredibly advantageous. I love how you fanboys talk about how not having Luck is this precedented thing that no mortal GM could ever overcome like Ballard has...yet no one will ever admit that it’s why the 2018 draft was set up the way it was. As if Ballard would have landed all of those same players with Luck. 

And what is considered turning around a roster? They won a playoff game when Luck returned for Ballard’s second season. Guess who else won a playoff game with Luck in his second season as GM. 

Haven’t won a playoff game since.

If you want GMs who turned around a roster faster than Ballard...that’s probably not really a difficult thing to find. But it’s a nonsense setup because “turned-around” is entirely subjective. Plenty of teams have gone from a top 5 pick to winning a playoff game in the course of a couple seasons.

But here’s an example. Jon Robinson inherited a 3-13 TEN team...and was in the AFCG by his 4th season. That’s a turn-around that is definitely quicker. Better record than Ballard too.

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

They resigned their own plus signed Gronk, Fournette and Brown. The point is they made moves to get better. They are doing the same this year.

CB is above ave in trades and  at drafting but can't close deals in FA or as we know hiring a coach. How many teams have had situations like the Luck and McDaniels fiascios?

This is called moving the goal posts.  You answered the question "name the last team to spend the most in FA to win the next seasons super bowl". You answered, very clearly..... "Hmm...Tampa Bay?". This was of course factually incorrect.  

You can't come back with, that's not exactly what i meant with my 2 word answer..... Lol No one misinterpreted your answer, and the question wasn't about what you tried to deflect to.  No one asked who "made moves to get better"  : )

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

I still think that will come in FA may not be a big signing but still someone at the position 

Probably Kpass from KC

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Heres the latest update.  I'll add DE/DT now that Autry is gone.

quit being a debbie downer 

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

An aging LT with an injury history taking up nearly 11% of your salary cap is not in a team's best interests. That is what it would be if Williams is signed for that much.  

I'm starting to think he might not get that 20m number.  Maybe that's why his signing is taking so long.  AC was going to get 16m this year.  Trent is a much better player than AC.   Ballard might pull his signing off after all.  18-20m will probably get it done. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I'm starting to think he might not get that 20m number.  Maybe that's why his signing is taking so long.  AC was going to get 16m this year.  Trent is a much better player than AC.   Ballard might pull his signing off after all.  18-20m will probably get it done. 

No way Ballard does that with Q and Smith using lots of cap soon 

Had wonderful day with these pups 

Thought it might help cheer some up 

received_288289636044499_20-jp.jpg

Just now, ColtJax said:

Darby gets 10 million a year? Rhoads will ask for 12-14 at least.. At least get Houston back, I mean...DAMN

Day 1 is filled with players being overpaid no shocker

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It really depends on what he is wanting. If he wants a 2 year contract, we can do that @18-20 million. We could extend Nelson, and have it kick in after the 2022 season.

But, if he wants a 4 year deal, I don't see Ballard doing that. 

Just now, Colts1324 said:

It really depends on what he is wanting. If he wants a 2 year contract, we can do that @18-20 million. We could extend Nelson, and have it kick in after the 2022 season.

But, if he wants a 4 year deal, I don't see Ballard doing that. 

I don't see him doing it regardless 

22 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

That’s a very specific amount...with very loose (and intentionally subjective) terms. 

What did Ballard have to deal with beyond losing a franchise QB? The vast majority of new GMs have to address their franchise QB situation. Ballard is not remotely unique in this aspect. He just had it to do it later. Think about the logic here...if Luck being gone is the reason they haven’t a playoff game the last two seasons...then what exactly is Ballard doing that is unprecedented?

Also, getting the #3 pick in a QB-heavy draft (because Luck was out in 2017)

and being able to trade it back for (3) 2nd round picks was incredibly advantageous. I love how you fanboys talk about how not having Luck is this precedented thing that no mortal GM could ever overcome like Ballard has...yet no one will ever admit that it’s why the 2018 draft was set up the way it was. As if Ballard would have landed all of those same players with Luck. 

And what is considered turning around a roster? They won a playoff game when Luck returned for Ballard’s second season. Guess who else won a playoff game with Luck in his second season as GM. 

Haven’t won a playoff game since.

If you want GMs who turned around a roster faster than Ballard...that’s probably not really a difficult thing to find. But it’s a nonsense setup because “turned-around” is entirely subjective. Plenty of teams have gone from a top 5 pick to winning a playoff game in the course of a couple seasons.

But here’s an example. Jon Robinson inherited a 3-13 TEN team...and was in the AFCG by his 4th season. That’s a turn-around that is definitely quicker. Better record than Ballard too.

That fact that your post is centered entirely around Luck means you've missed most of the points..

Luck's shoulder issues, the loss of Edwin Jackson, the Josh McDaniels saga, having to completely rebuild the culture that the previous toxic GM left behind, and going through 5 different week 1 starting QBs in 5 years? Any of that ring a bell?

How about hitting on draft picks that the former couldn't? How about drafting All-Pro and ROY talent, winning Executive of the Year, and getting bargain deals in FA that pan out? Something the former didn't..

Yeah we had the #3 pick because Luck was hurt, but I love how you're diminishing the fact that he drafted 2 All-Pros with a potential 3rd on the way. I'd love for you to find another GM that did that

How about building a top 3 OL in football in 2 years? Finally bringing a good running game to Indianapolis?

Turning a Anderson-Woods-Hankins-Sheard-Simon pass rush into a Turay-Houston-Buckner-Stewart-Autry front?

Going from Antonio Morrison to Darius Leonard, from Farley-Hooker to Blackmon-Willis, bringing in Kenny Moore who is the league's best slot corner....

Do you want me to continue? "Fanboy"

ballard already said he will not work out of desperation . first day signings are always over paying and desperation .  ballard will wait for when a couple of good  players get left behind and  no other teams are bidding then swoop in for the cheap contract . patriots used this tactic to get cam newton for 1 million per year .   with the cap dropping down 20 million and half the teams being over the cap and many more having zero room for free agents multiple good players will be left standing without a team . watch and learn the real art of the deal guys ballard is a god .

Williams was top rated Tackle last year, I would take him all day.

Our line would be filthy.  Williams next to Q?

uncle jesse aunt becky GIF

A lot of over reactions going on in here. Even more significant over pays from teams, happening.  

How the hell does Kendrick Bourne get $7m+? That is ludicrous

ludacris GIF

Agholor $13m?

Confused What Is It GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Ballard has something up his sleeve.

26 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

This giant run-on rambling sentence is a problem... Where were you heading with this? 

Sorry, I was defending you not speaking to you. I have had a couple issues today being chastised as you have been just because of a differing opinion. Nevertheless, it is what is is

Archived