Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Archive Thread (Days 1-4)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

That's great except Ballard can't seem to draft WR's either. Polian at least knew how to draft them. 

Pittman is great and Parris has been plagued with injuries....if you're expecting Day 3 WRs to turn into WR1 and WR2s it's your own fault

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

That's great except Ballard can't seem to draft WR's either. Polian at least knew how to draft them. 

I swear you are just trolling at this point. 

Didn’t you say it was your last post like 7 posts ago. Ballards only significant wr picks have been Pittman and Campbell. Pittman had a good rookie year and Campbell is still an unknown. If you said DE then there’s more evidence but come on

Just now, Indeee said:

Ballard has drafted mostly late Rd WR’s, that are the talk of camp. Nothing more.

Pittman is going to be okay and Campbell would be if he could stay healthy. Big if! 

Paris Campbell is good as well.  Just keeps getting injured so far, but that's not Ballards fault. 

I don't think Ballard has some kind of unique problem with assessing and  drafting WR talent.  Sometimes you have 

to take a couple cracks at it. 

10 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Look okay dude... I don't know what you are even talking about so let's stop talking. If you are happy with this receiving core awesome. Go follow them on twitter, chances are they have room for you. I can't stand these Wide receivers. To me they are terrible. My opinion won't change. In a PASSING league we have one of a few teams who evidentially do not value those who actually catch the passes WELL. Yep, make perfect sense. You win

Look... part of the reason you’re getting so much push back is that this has turned into ground hog day.   

We get the same posts from frustrated fans on Day One of free agency every year.  The names of the posters change, but the theme is basically the same.   People complaining we don’t spend big on free agents.  And they complain in the first few HOURS of Day One!  
You’d think they’d have figured it out by now.  Ballard doesn’t believe in spending large sums on Day One.  Or Day Two.  I don’t see that changing unless Ballard finds the right guy at the right price. 

Otherwise you’re just setting yourself up for disappointment.    Honestly.  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Look... part of the reason you’re getting so much push back is that this has turned into ground hog day.   

We get the same posts from frustrated fans on Day One of free agency every year.  The names of the posters change, but the theme is basically the same.   People complaining we don’t spend big on free agents.  And they complain in the first few HOURS of Day One!  
You’d think they’d have figured it out by now.  Ballard doesn’t believe in spending large sums on Day One.  Or Day Two.  I don’t see that changing unless Ballard finds the right guy at the right price. 

The name of the posters here change but I'm not sure if the people posting change. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's fine. It truly is. I understand your point. Here is mine. This hasn't worked!! The only groundhog day here is the way the Colts organization have been operating, not the way a few of us keep screaming.... Clearly, unless I have just enlightened you, you are caught in the seeing it backwards loop... 

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

That's fine. It truly is. I understand your point. Here is mine. This hasn't worked!! The only groundhog day here is the way the Colts organization have been operating, not the way a few of us keep screaming.... Clearly, unless I have just enlightened you, you are caught in the seeing it backwards loop... 

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

Comforting Toy Story 4 GIF

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I think it is working.  We’ve built a really strong team IMO, and we’ll be able to keep the core players due to the lack of crippling contracts.  Can’t tell you if the team will win a SB soon, but it’s good enough to compete for the conference championship, so I’m happy with the strategy...

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

Comforting Toy Story 4 GIF

Thanks Dan. I can't speak for anyone else but these two memes have lowered my blood pressure. Can I call you Cherry? Afterall you are my favorite lifesaver...:funny:. I'm just joshing you dude. Please for the love of God realize I'm just funning you... :thmup:

4 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I hate to steal a line from you, but.... I have no idea what you’re talking about?   Honestly.

Hasn't worked?  All things considered, circumstances beyond our control, I think things have worked incredibly well.   As a fan, I do very little second guessing of Ballard or Reich.   I wouldn’t say none, but I’d say very little.   Winning in the NFL is incredibly hard.  And when we have a quarterback, the Colts win at a very high level.   I think we will for many years to come. 

I’m sorry we see the same thing differently.  

1 minute ago, ColtJax said:

So the Bucs, who had 1/3 of the cap space we do just signed 3 big ticket FA's and are sniffing for more including Gronk and AS. But we can't open up just a little for a player we could really use??

Brady saved them $20m in cap and Shaq Barrett has a $5.6m cap hit in his first year

Plus the Tampa players are on record saying they'd willingly take a paycut to get the band back

So the Bucs, who had 1/3 of the cap space we do just signed 3 big ticket FA's and are sniffing for more including Gronk and AS. But we can't open up just a little for a player we could really use??

The assumptions in this post are egregious.

2 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

They re-signed their own FA's. We never had a shot at them unless TB had no intention of bringing them back.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry, but who is Tremon? 

Tremon Smith. Signed a 1 year deal with Houston.

Patience! 

Like many of said on the Forum, Ballard has a model he follows in regards to FA and avoiding huge contracts.  It’s probably the thing I like most with his approach to building a team.

However, like I said earlier, I think he is going to sign one big name FA this year. LT or a pass rusher. 

For what it is worth, it sure seems like TB is back-loading those deals (cap number-wise)...the upfront cap number for David and Shaq are low....as is the Brady number....sure seems like they are going all in to maximize their window in the next two years w Brady knowing that down-stream they will have to tear it all down when he retires and suck for a year or two. They got Brady, Godwin, Shaq and Lavonte all for around $50M in cap numbers this year combined....Brady and Godwin are around $35M of that.

When a big star does what Brady does and takes $15M a year below market value and then lowers their cap charge further to basically half of his value, this is what you can do.

So their wizardry is unique in that regard. But I totally hear your frustration.

Bottom line is we can do whatever we want but we have to be willing to sacrifice down-stream if we want to and my guess is we are trying to not have to do that.

Plus for what it is worth, they just re-signed all their own. All of their signings are just keeping their own....kinda like we will have to do with some of our good players in the next year or two.

For anyone anxious about us not having signed any FA's yet, I started a FA tracker thread that might help give some perspective of how many players are out of the mix and how many are left:

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

What?   Are?   You?   Talking?   About?!?

Jax does NOT have 1/3 the cap space if the Colts.   J’Ville has $70 mill to spend.  Colts have mid to upper $40’s.   If you’re going to attack the team you say you support at least have your facts straight!   Jacksonville has the 2nd most to spend.  Indy has the 5th most. 

To the prior poster's credit, they mentioned Tampa Bay, not Jacksonville.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hate to steal a line from you, but.... I have no idea what you’re talking about?   Honestly.

Hasn't worked?  All things considered, circumstances beyond our control, I think things have worked incredibly well.   As a fan, I do very little second guessing of Ballard or Reich.   I wouldn’t say none, but I’d say very little.   Winning in the NFL is incredibly hard.  And when we have a quarterback, the Colts win at a very high level.   I think we will for many years to come. 

I’m sorry we see the same thing differently.  

We have two different opinions on doing well. Consistently you are correct. The Colts have won a lot of games. That does not take away from the fact that we need "consistent" playmakers especially at the wideout position. Some might believe that we do not, I'm not one of them. That's it. I'm not talking about winning games. I'm referring to groundhog day where we add second and third tier talent and attempt to draft playmaker WR's in the third round or lower and keep expecting different results. Going 10-6 every year or even 11-5 is groundhog day and it is unacceptable unless championships arise from that record. In Indy, the latter has not, so.... Groundhog day. I believe adding top tier talent could help us attain the latter... Understand now? If not, I can't offer anything else

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What?   Are?   You?   Talking?   About?!?

Jax does NOT have 1/3 the cap space if the Colts.   J’Ville has $70 mill to spend.  Colts have mid to upper $40’s.   If you’re going to attack the team you say you support at least have your facts straight!   Jacksonville has the 2nd most to spend.  Indy has the 5th most. 

Oh, and Gronk says he’s coming back to Tampa.   

Goodness gracious.....      :facepalm:

huh, he clearly said the Bucs...

13 minutes ago, Shive said:

They re-s

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Hes gonna get a lot more than 10m 

Meet the mastermind behind NE

igned their own FA's. We never had a shot at them unless TB had no intention of bringing them back.

Tremon Smith. Signed a 1 year deal with Houston.

4 minutes ago, Indeee said:

We have two different opinions on doing well. Consistently you are correct. The Colts have won a lot of games. That does not take away from the fact that we need "consistent" playmakers especially at the wideout position. Some might believe that we do not, I'm not one of them. That's it. I'm not talking about winning games. I'm referring to groundhog day where we add second and third tier talent and attempt to draft playmaker WR's in the third round or lower and keep expecting different results. Going 10-6 every year or even 11-5 is groundhog day and it is unacceptable unless championships arise from that record. In Indy, the latter has not, so.... Groundhog day. I believe adding top tier talent could help us attain the latter... Understand now? If not, I can't offer anything else

Our program was literally starting from scratch 4 years ago.   We have been re-building the entire roster on the fly and winning while we’ve been doing it.

4-12 in 2017.    The Luck issue.

10-6 in 2018.   THAT’S results.

7-9 in 2019.   The Luck issue.

11-5 in 2020.  THAT’s results.

Ballard believes in building with the lines.  Then, after that, he goes for play makers.  You can disagree with the philosophy, but given what we dealt with from 2012-2016, I’m perfectly happy with what I see in the field. 

Archived