Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Archive Thread (Days 1-4)

6 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

dont sweat it....were not signing any difference makers.

You're right we will not sign any overvalued players, Ballard is gonna sign low risk high reward players and undervalued players.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

That’s a very specific amount...with very loose (and intentionally subjective) terms. 

What did Ballard have to deal with beyond losing a franchise QB? The vast majority of new GMs have to address their franchise QB situation. Ballard is not remotely unique in this aspect. He just had it to do it later. Think about the logic here...if Luck being gone is the reason they haven’t a playoff game the last two seasons...then what exactly is Ballard doing that is unprecedented?

Also, getting the #3 pick in a QB-heavy draft (because Luck was out in 2017)

and being able to trade it back for (3) 2nd round picks was incredibly advantageous. I love how you fanboys talk about how not having Luck is this precedented thing that no mortal GM could ever overcome like Ballard has...yet no one will ever admit that it’s why the 2018 draft was set up the way it was. As if Ballard would have landed all of those same players with Luck. 

And what is considered turning around a roster? They won a playoff game when Luck returned for Ballard’s second season. Guess who else won a playoff game with Luck in his second season as GM. 

Haven’t won a playoff game since.

If you want GMs who turned around a roster faster than Ballard...that’s probably not really a difficult thing to find. But it’s a nonsense setup because “turned-around” is entirely subjective. Plenty of teams have gone from a top 5 pick to winning a playoff game in the course of a couple seasons.

But here’s an example. Jon Robinson inherited a 3-13 TEN team...and was in the AFCG by his 4th season. That’s a turn-around that is definitely quicker. Better record than Ballard too.

Holy Cow...    :facepalm:

What ever happened to Shasta Masta?    He wouldn’t have written this with a gun to his head. 

This is so sad. 

2 minutes ago, harrisoncolts88 said:

I wonder with the Raiders going for Yannick and Titans trying to close out with Bud Dupree if someone like Kwity Paye could make it to the Colts in the draft. One can dream...

I’d love to have Paye. He’s projecting top 15. I’m hoping we can either move up to get him if he falls to 15 or hope he falls all the way to us 

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

they will convert him to DE   , mathis made the switch from DE to olb and did very well .    It should be easier for him to play as a pass rusher all the time instead of playing in coverage and rushing

I always found switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 or vise-versa to be counter-productive, but just my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

16.5 per year on a multi year deal for Dupree is a bit more than I’d want to pay. Don’t get me wrong he’s a great player. However coming off a major injury and didn’t really fit our defensive scheme. 

Where’d you see that at? And if true, wonder who the Titans restructure to make that fit. They were only 17.5 under the cap to start with, they signed Autry for 9 per and if what you’re saying is true, they’re back over the cap

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Where’d you see that at? And if true, wonder who the Titans restructure to make that fit. They were only 17.5 under the cap to start with, they signed Autry for 9 per and if what you’re saying is true, they’re back over the cap

Yeah something doesn't add up

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Not sure how to attach Twitter post yet but Ian Rapoport tweeted it.

8 minutes ago, Indeee said:

My entire point, this entire day is that I personally am tired of waiting for these WR's that Ballard has drafted or signed off the street to pan out and overachieve. I don't need statistical facts for that. 

God here we go again...

11 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Have any WR's Ballard has signed during FA in his tenure turned out to be stud overachievers?

Have any WR's Ballard has drafted during his tenure turned out to be stud overachievers?

This is not a knock on Ballard. It is only a pattern of WR's and their production on this team during the last 5-6 years. 

Without using excuses/reasons such as injuries, answer the questions at face value.

The only one you should even think would be semi okay would be Chester Rogers, but nowhere near a stud overachiever or even above average

Jury is still out on Pittman. 

This is my gripe if you want to call it that and yet you're going to continue to try and convince me that my assessment is wrong when speaking of the WR core.

My entire point, this entire day is that I personally am tired of waiting for these WR's that Ballard has drafted or signed off the street to pan out and overachieve. I don't need statistical facts for that. 

That’s fair and i dont fully disagree, I do agree with some of it but I think we all get your point and where you’re coming from. But repeatedly stating it here over and over and over won’t solve it. 

41 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I'm starting to think he might not get that 20m number.  Maybe that's why his signing is taking so long.  AC was going to get 16m this year.  Trent is a much better player than AC.   Ballard might pull his signing off after all.  18-20m will probably get it done. 

I think it is a lot of money. I would rather overpay for a player who was already in my system (like AC) than pay a player that is unfamiliar with the team. JMO. I have never been a fan of signing outside free agents, especially expensive ones. I would love Ballard as my GM. I like my GM too but that humongous Cousins contract (outside free agent :() has forced us to get rid of many players. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

That’s fair and i dont fully disagree but I think we all get your point and where you’re coming from. But repeatedly stating it here over and over and over won’t solve it. 

Thank you for that. Truth be told, the only reason that it has been coming out of me so much today is that I have been adequately trying to defend a point I never thought I would have to defend. 

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

They started the day with 15.8 gross under the cap. Autry is said to be 9 per, leaves them 8 ish under before Dupree. But they could restructure some one

I think I read Autry is 7+ per year.   The $9m figure was the total guarantees. 

2 minutes ago, harrisoncolts88 said:

I'm still hoping the 4 I posted earlier today as targets, is something they target for lesser money.
Akhello Witherspoon (CB)
Dan Arnold (TE)
Rashard Higgins (WR)
And then the first prize of Carl Lawson (DE)

Lawson goes to the jets

3 minutes ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

May just throw some voidable years on the contract. Plenty of ways for teams to manipulate the cap. 

For sure are. Just curious what they’ll do

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

I don’t believe there are any true difference makers left at DE after this first wave came and went. Gonna have to depend on the draft now to find one. 

And I don't think there are any true difference makers at edge in the class either honestly

Bring back Houston and focus on CB, WR, and OT until next year

1 hour ago, tvturner said:

I'll give you $4,000 if you can find a single GM in the history of the league who had to deal with what Ballard has had to deal with

I'll double it if you can find a GM that turned around a roster as fast he did too

Ummm you didn’t say ANOTHER gm.  You just said a single gm.  So I’ll say Ballard is my answer for $8,000.00

ship it!

3 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Just curious. If another team between now and Wednesday offered more than some of these reports could they override these supposed signings?

Yes

Frank Gore agreed to deal with Eagles before backing out and signing with the Colts.

Archived