Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Archive Thread (Days 1-4)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Our program was literally starting from scratch 4 years ago.   We have been re-building the entire roster on the fly and winning while we’ve been doing it.

4-12 in 2017.    The Luck issue.

10-6 in 2018.   THAT’S results.

7-9 in 2019.   The Luck issue.

11-5 in 2020.  THAT’s results.

Ballard believes in building with the lines.  Then, after that, he goes for play makers.  You can disagree with the philosophy, but given what we dealt with from 2012-2016, I’m perfectly happy with what I see in the field. 

Well by this admission I fully understand now. Considering we need to replace a Lineman this year and seeing as we need to pay two lineman next year, I guess we won't be able to add any playmakers until 2023 and by then I'm sure we will need to replace some D-line or pay some D-line and then a year from then... Wow, you see that? Groundhog day and still no playmakers...:goat:

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Our program was literally starting from scratch 4 years ago.   We have been re-building the entire roster on the fly and winning while we’ve been doing it.

4-12 in 2017.    The Luck issue.

10-6 in 2018.   THAT’S results.

7-9 in 2019.   The Luck issue.

11-5 in 2020.  THAT’s results.

Ballard believes in building with the lines.  Then, after that, he goes for play makers.  You can disagree with the philosophy, but given what we dealt with from 2012-2016, I’m perfectly happy with what I see in the field. 

can you all take the ballard debate to another thread or something, its getting kind of annoying at this point. Nothing you say will change their minds, the same ones do this every year, whether its Ballard or Grigson or even Polian. 

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Well by this admission I fully understand now. Considering we need to replace a Lineman this year and seeing as we need to pay two lineman next year, I guess we won't be able to add any playmakers until 2023 and by then I'm sure we will need to replace some D-line or pay some D-line and then a year from then... Wow, you see that? Groundhog day and still no playmakers...:goat:

Who says no playmakers?

You, several hours into free agency. 

And if you’re still a Colts fan next year, I suspect we’ll be having this same conversation next year.  

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

Q is getting 20+, isn't he? 

The Chiefs were tight against the cap.   They reportedly called inquiring about Trent Williams earlier.  If the Colts did call as well this Chiefs signing might bode well for the Colts signing Williams.  I can't imagine Williams will remain unsigned for long.   I would have thought he would have been signed the the 49'ers by now. 

1 hour ago, tvturner said:

The Saints got far with all of that spending didn't they? Ballard will never form a team to be -$100m in cap space, the Rams were in cap hell for a while too

The Buccaneers won a Super Bowl because they signed Tom Brady

I can just imagine this forum if CB spends big on players who don't proceed play up to their contract, we don't win a SB, and end up negative in cap space

I don't know how many times the guy has to say it, he's not paying A tier money on B tier players and he's not signing someone big just to say he signed someone big

He does the same thing every year and people still manage to have sky high expectations 

And none of this even matters if Carson Wentz doesn't get fixed

And add the Chiefs to the list. Just spent big on Thuney (16 M per) despite all their top class class players on huge contracts.

Cap is a myth. Ballard and Bluem didn’t get the memo.

3 minutes ago, James said:

And add the Chiefs to the list. Just spent big on Thuney (16 M per) despite all their top class class players on huge contracts.

its been 4 hours, 34 minutes since they could legally negotiate.  

11 minutes ago, James said:

"Cap is a myth"

More like they cut both their LT and RT saving $18m in cap....followed right after their star players in Mahomes, Kelce, and Jones restructuring their contracts and saving them another $20m

Seems like you don't get the memo

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

This will be my last post today at the dismay of many...:funny:

Please do not misconstrue this as I Love Darius

Who would you pay the big money to first?

Leonard, an all pro potentially HOF MLB

or Player X who either has been a playmaking WR or an above average WR

My answer is quite simple. Where an all pro LB might win you a game or two here and there, a playmaking WR wins you games consistently every week.

This team needs to pay offensive talent in a higher clip than defensive talent every time without question. 

Again, I want Darius here in Indy for his entire career, i want him to get paid handsomely, however I value a playmaking WR over an all pro MLB and and all pro LG everyday of the week

Wideouts are very overrated.  Go look at how many wins the top 10 wideouts salary wise last year really brought their teams.....

I think I’d be happy if we can re-sign Rhodes, one of the veteran DEs, place tenders on Pascal, Cox, Odum, sign either TY or Agholor and a stop gap LT. Few more depth pieces too. Go into the draft and take and DE and future LT. Day 3 CB and more depth. We can be back in the playoffs with a team like that.

My biggest concern normally is that the Colts offers are used as measuring sticks by the player agents. Colts offer lower than what normally the player gets. if league knows colts bargain shop then it hurts the Colts chances.

Not saying any of this is true but can't rule it out either

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Ballard is never super active in Free Agency and yet every year there are posters here that expect him to on a shopping spree!

Why is everyone and their mother linking Trent Williams to Colts?

Ballard isn't giving him 20m+

He was going to pay a considerably less talented AC 16+M for next season.
Wentz would have perhaps the best blindside protection in NFL history and he is a superior run blocker also. 

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

He was going to pay a considerably less talented AC 16+M for next season.
Wentz would have perhaps the best blindside protection in NFL history and he is a superior run blocker also. 

Now stop. Apparently the object is to have the most cap money left over at the end, not to try and sign difference makers that would make you a contender.

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

We have two different opinions on doing well. Consistently you are correct. The Colts have won a lot of games. That does not take away from the fact that we need "consistent" playmakers especially at the wideout position. Some might believe that we do not, I'm not one of them. That's it. I'm not talking about winning games. I'm referring to groundhog day where we add second and third tier talent and attempt to draft playmaker WR's in the third round or lower and keep expecting different results. Going 10-6 every year or even 11-5 is groundhog day and it is unacceptable unless championships arise from that record. In Indy, the latter has not, so.... Groundhog day. I believe adding top tier talent could help us attain the latter... Understand now? If not, I can't offer anything else

You lose a top 5 QB  two years ago 2 weeks before the seeason and you still thinkjust under 70%win ratio is not good?

4 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

You lose a top 5 QB  two years ago 2 weeks before the seeason and you still thinkjust under 70%win ratio is not good?

Which is better? 70% or 71%? If you're answer is 71% as it should be then you have answered your own question. Thanks for playing :sip:

18 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Ignore them. They’re here simply to stir the pot. Nothing you say, facts included, will change their mind. They’ll run their mouths for the next 5-6 weeks, and then disappear again until this time next year. 

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

Colts needs and signings:

Impact Edge rusher....nope

LT....nope

Wide Rec....nada

Corner....zilch

Tight end..nope

Running back for depth....nope

It’s not even 6 hours into FA... this ain’t madden

45 minutes ago, Indeee said:

My biggest concern normally is that the Colts offers are used as measuring sticks by the player agents. Colts offer lower than what normally the player gets. if league knows colts bargain shop then it hurts the Colts chances.

Not saying any of this is true but can't rule it out either

I think the thing I find disappointing right now is, we're SO close. We need so little, but watching the Pats get the top TE and other cap strapped teams loading up is hard to watch. We need to sign our own, got it. But at least bring back Houston and Rhoads, both played very well..

20 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

I think the thing I find disappointing right now is, we're SO close. We need so little, but watching the Pats get the top TE and other cap strapped teams loading up is hard to watch. We need to sign our own, got it. But at least bring back Houston and Rhoads, both played very well..

We're close if Wentz plays well

Archived