Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Archive Thread (Days 1-4)

7 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Yeah...why spend money to try and win a Championship. It never works....look at Tampa Bay...oh wait.

Ballard always tries to build for the future but the future never gets here.

Braden Smith, Quenton Nelson, Darius Leonard, Michael Pittman Jr, Jonathan Taylor, need I go on?

The future is staring you right in the face

I like how it goes from Ballard's built an incredible team with homegrown talent to a narrative that he's not good because 3 FAs you wanted get signed

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Look at that sentence again...   “We fans have...”

Who cares?

And how do you know Ballard has offered any of them and the league said no?   You don’t know.    And why are you posting about any scenarios as “disasters”??    This is the start of Ballard’s 5th year as GM.   When has he done anything that people here called a disaster?   

Odds are you won’t get your full wish list, but whatever we do, it won’t be a disaster.   Enjoy the next few weeks.  

Really? This team needs to start doing some things to be taken seriously. Ballard has done a very good job at building this team and coaching has been admirable in most cases. At some point though you need to have a killer instinct and strike. This is what i'm talking about. A disaster doesn't mean entirely a messy outcome. maybe I should have used disappointment, however disappointment is what we fans are most FA periods, so that word is a little worn out. I agree that disaster might have been bad choice overall but to me if we don't fill some needs FOR REAL, especially at WR it will be a disaster to ME and maybe me alone

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Really? This team needs to start doing some things to be taken seriously. Ballard has done a very good job at building this team and coaching has been admirable in most cases. At some point though you need to have a killer instinct and strike. This is what i'm talking about. A disaster doesn't mean entirely a messy outcome. maybe I should have used disappointment, however disappointment is what we fans are most FA periods, so that word is a little worn out. I agree that disaster might have been bad choice overall but to me if we don't fill some needs FOR REAL, especially at WR it will be a disaster to ME and maybe me alone

I would call this a disaster... Ready?

1. Kamar Aiken (AGE 28; PFF 58.6)

2. Devin Funchess (AGE 25; PFF 68.4)

3. Josh Boyce (Age 26; PFF 60.0)

4. Brian Tyms (Age 26; PFF 60.0)

5. Devin Street (AGE 26; PFF 48.6)

6. Ryan Grant (AGE 27; PFF 72.9)

7. Chester Rogers (AGE 25; PFF 63.1)

8. Marcus Johnson (AGE 25; PFF 61.1)

Those are the FA receivers Ballard has signed in his tenure. This is why we will most likely be watching JuJu, Samuels, Davis, Fuller, Golliday, and whoever else just slide on into another team's uniform

Unacceptable IMO

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

So now we have contacted Trent Williams knowing very well The 49'ers were willing to pay him up to $20M per year.  That should suggest that Ballard is not afraid of that number and even beating it to get the best LT in the league.  The Chiefs with Mahommes as their QB would have the advantage here but what a coup for Ballard if he could sign him.  What an OL for Wentz and Taylor to play behind.  Add Dupree and Henry and we are on our way.

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Those are the FA receivers Ballard has signed in his tenure. This is why we will most likely be watching JuJu, Samuels, Davis, Fuller, Golliday, and whoever else just slide on into another team's uniform

Unacceptable IMO

its been pointed out many times...    the teams who typically are judged to have “won” free agency usually don’t do all that well in the regular season.    Most free agent money is wasted. 

Saw a good Ballard quote this morning: 

“Free agency, where “B” players get “A” money and “C” players get “B” money.    

He’s not wrong. 

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

@NewColtsFan would you not agree that those WR FA's were a disaster? Rodgers had a decent amount of play but would you not agree?

I'm not picking at you, I'm just asking on a truthful basis

None of them are disasters because, they were low risk and didn't pan out.

its been pointed out many times...    the teams who typically are judged to have “won” free agency usually don’t do all that well in the regular season.    Most free agent money is wasted. 

Saw a good Ballard quote this morning: 

“Free agency, where “B” players get “A” money and “C” players get “B” money.    

He’s not wrong. 

My friend that is NOT an answer to my question and whoever liked your response isn't helping here. Stop giving me inspirational quotes that mean ZERO... Where are the results?

36 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Another year of people expecting Ballard to blow money and be active on Day 1....

meh not for me.  For me, the excitement is purely in seeing who goes where and how big of stupid contracts they get. I dont expect to hear anything colts wise until at least Wednesay, if not later in the week.  But im still gonna follow the rest of the time, just incase 

6 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Half of those players were on contracts for less than 600k

None of those players were expected to be an impact difference regardless

But yeah what a "disaster" they were

I'm sure the contract value of around $20m over 5 years of all those players were a big blow to Ballard and the team's cap

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

So now we have contacted Trent Williams knowing very well The 49'ers were willing to pay him up to $20M per year.  That should suggest that Ballard is not afraid of that number and even beating it to get the best LT in the league.  The Chiefs with Mahommes as their QB would have the advantage here but what a coup for Ballard if he could sign him.  What an OL for Wentz and Taylor to play behind.  Add Dupree and Henry and we are on our way.

Ballard has shown that he's willing to go big if it's for the right player and situation.

Just now, tvturner said:

Pats are not playing around

Definitely a new way of doing things for them. They were usually more laid back like we are. Good for them.

I still was not a huge Judon fan. But the top of the Edge market is taking shape....$14M AAV for Judon. $13M AAV for Okwara. $18M AAV for Shaq.....so the remaining top guys should command in that $12M-$15M range. 

I still would love to pay around that for Ngakoue. Lawson a close second but I would rather be closer to $12M for him if so. 

9 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Unacceptable IMO

First...   you’ve mixed up players who were signed during free agency with players who were signed later in the year as free agents typically when other players got hurt and we needed somebody. 

Second, other than Funchess, who got $10m, none of these players were signed to be key receivers.   They were signed to be 4th, 5th, 6th receivers...   or guys who were trying to make the top 6. 

Look, Ballard has been rebuilding the entire roster.   Receiver and running back and even tight end have been the last pieces of the offensive puzzle.   He started with Pittman and Taylor last year.   Let’s see how free agency and the draft go this year before we rush to judgement.  

Just a thought....

Just now, TomDiggs said:

Definitely a new way of doing things for them. They were usually more laid back like we are. Good for them.

I still was not a huge Judon fan. But the top of the Edge market is taking shape....$14M AAV for Judon. $13M AAV for Okwara. $18M AAV for Shaq.....so the remaining top guys should command in that $12M-$15M range. 

I still would love to pay around that for Ngakoue. Lawson a close second but I would rather be closer to $12M for him if so. 

jenna marbles desperation GIF

This will be my last post today at the dismay of many...:funny:

Please do not misconstrue this as I Love Darius

Who would you pay the big money to first?

Leonard, an all pro potentially HOF MLB

or Player X who either has been a playmaking WR or an above average WR

My answer is quite simple. Where an all pro LB might win you a game or two here and there, a playmaking WR wins you games consistently every week.

This team needs to pay offensive talent in a higher clip than defensive talent every time without question. 

Again, I want Darius here in Indy for his entire career, i want him to get paid handsomely, however I value a playmaking WR over an all pro MLB and and all pro LG everyday of the week

2 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

They are all in on winning....the Colts ..not so much.

13 minutes ago, Indeee said:

My friend that is NOT an answer to my question and whoever liked your response isn't helping here. Stop giving me inspirational quotes that mean ZERO... Where are the results?

The results?

You mean 10-6 with a playoff win in 2018 and 11-5 with a very competitive loss in 2020 don’t count?    The two years we didn’t have a winning record are years where we didn’t have good enough QB play.

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He couldn’t afford all three.

I don’t see the chiefs doing it either. They’re sitting about 15 under the cap currently. So they’d have to clear cap space to do it

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

They are all in on winning....the Colts ..not so much.

I mean they have not really done this until now and they were winning well before doing this until last year without Brady lol

But they are spending like mad. 

Jonnu. Godchaux. Judon.

Now they apparently also signed Jalen Mills for 4 years and $24M

Definitely out of their character and not deals I would want to be making.

A team I always see sit back and then get value are the Ravens.

They always seem to hang back and then sign solid vets for mid tier deals and look good doing so.

Hopefully that is our plan this year in a year where winning all these mid-level deals can go a long, long way. 

The results?

You mean 10-6 with a playoff win in 2018 and 11-5 with a very competitive loss in 2020 don’t count?    The two years we didn’t have a winning record are years where we didn’t have good enough QB play.

Look okay dude... I don't know what you are even talking about so let's stop talking. If you are happy with this receiving core awesome. Go follow them on twitter, chances are they have room for you. I can't stand these Wide receivers. To me they are terrible. My opinion won't change. In a PASSING league we have one of a few teams who evidentially do not value those who actually catch the passes WELL. Yep, make perfect sense. You win

20 minutes ago, Indeee said:

@NewColtsFan would you not agree that those WR FA's were a disaster? Rodgers had a decent amount of play but would you not agree?

I'm not picking at you, I'm just asking on a truthful basis

Yeah, I agree with @Zoltan, those on the list were cheap flyers.  Can’t be a disaster when they’re cheap and not expected to be #1 receivers.  We’ve put draft capital in WRs, and Pittman and Campbell will hopefully get us better play this year than any reasonably priced FAs...

47 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Braden Smith, Quenton Nelson, Darius Leonard, Michael Pittman Jr, Jonathan Taylor, need I go on?

The future is staring you right in the face

I like how it goes from Ballard's built an incredible team with homegrown talent to a narrative that he's not good because 3 FAs you wanted get signed

Myth.

The problem is: a lot of people dont want the bargain bin. They want top class talent whatever it takes. The Bucs are doing it with their huge contracts to get players back while still having Brady on the book. Yes, he restructured but still has a healthy cap hit.

People are tired of the narrative that the Colts can’t spend big because of future contracts to Nelson, Smith, Leonard. Baloney, they will say. Cap $s can and always should be manipulated. Look at the Saints for years and the Bucs now. Even the Rams who got to a Super Bowl. Get talent every year! And restructure. Restructure every year! Kick the can down the road, because the road is endless! Mike Bluem, get on Loomis’ level, man!

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I wouldn’t call that tweet any kind of proof that we’ve contacted San Fran.   And if we have, that it was anything more than “how much?”   

I wouldn’t read this as we’re prepared to offer $20 mill for Williams.   Yes, we did it for Buckner.   But he’s 25/26, while Williams is 32/33.   Big difference.  

5 minutes ago, James said:

Myth.

The problem is: a lot of people dont want the bargain bin. They want top class talent whatever it takes. The Bucs are doing it with their huge contracts to get players back while still having Brady on the book. Yes, he restructured but still has a healthy cap hit.

People are tired of the narrative that the Colts can’t spend big because of future contracts to Nelson, Smith, Leonard. Baloney, they will say. Cap $s can and always should manipulated. Look at the Saints for years and the Bucs now. Even the Rams who got to a Super Bowl. Get talent every year! Kick the can down the road, because the road is endless! Mike Bluem, get on Loomis’ level, man!

The Saints got far with all of that spending didn't they? Ballard will never form a team to be -$100m in cap space, the Rams were in cap hell for a while too

The Buccaneers won a Super Bowl because they signed Tom Brady

I can just imagine this forum if CB spends big on players who don't proceed play up to their contract, we don't win a SB, and end up negative in cap space

I don't know how many times the guy has to say it, he's not paying A tier money on B tier players and he's not signing someone big just to say he signed someone big

He does the same thing every year and people still manage to have sky high expectations 

And none of this even matters if Carson Wentz doesn't get fixed

I'd rather know where we are going as far as keeping the OL in the upper echelon.  I'm not sitting around wetting my pants over getting a most likely over paid WR in FA.  Especially when you know our RB and TE are a big part of the passing game.  I'm fine with the draft or whatever other means we use to add to the WR corps.  But I'm certainly not tripping if we don't spend big on a WR.  It's already been proven that spending big dollars doesn't equal championship in most cases.  Our top WR during the Peyton years came from the draft. Polian spent small dollars on his FA WR that played along with his draft picks. 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I'd rather know where we are going as far as keeping the OL in the upper echelon.  I'm not sitting around wetting my pants over getting a most likely over paid WR in FA.  Especially when you know our RB and TE are a big part of the passing game.  I'm fine with the draft or whatever other means we use to add to the WR corps.  But I'm certainly not tripping if we don't spend big on a WR.  It's already been proven that spending big dollars doesn't equal championship in most cases.  Our top WR during the Peyton years came from the draft. Polian spent small dollars on his FA WR that played along with his draft picks. 

That's great except Ballard can't seem to draft WR's either. Polian at least knew how to draft them. 

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

That's great except Ballard can't seem to draft WR's either. Polian at least knew how to draft them. 

Pittman looked pretty good to me last year so why couldn't he draft another one?  Won't surprise me if Patmon turns out to be good as well.  You're holding on to small setbacks too long. 

Archived