Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Archive Thread (Days 1-4)

59 minutes ago, Indeee said:

My biggest concern normally is that the Colts offers are used as measuring sticks by the player agents. Colts offer lower than what normally the player gets. if league knows colts bargain shop then it hurts the Colts chances.

Not saying any of this is true but can't rule it out either

It doesn't hurt their chances in that case.  In the case you are stating, the players have little to no Intention of taking the offer from Indy.  Now, CB and company are free to stick to a set pricetag, that doesn't mean they miss out on a player.  It means they trust their team of evaluators and feel the amount they offered was appropriate for the given player and the situation at hand.  

You, I, or my dog can choose to disagree with that evaluation, and often we do.... Doesn't mean the Colts feel like they "missed out on" the FA, even if we wished they ponied up a few million more to beat the team down the highway or wherever.....

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Yo you know what? Why don't you take your own advice and take a walk.... I have stated my opinion and it's not to stir some figurative pot. It's what I believe. Who gives a snot if you don't... As I said... Take a walk. I'm sick of Mo's like you that think your truth is truth. You don't like my opinion don't read it... Move on. You don't like my answers, don't comment...Move on. I never once asked for your input. You are trolling me.. Take a walk

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have no problem with that. But nice try twisting things

There will be a lot of players that become available before Wed at 4pm because teams have to get  under the cap.   Patiences isn't exciting but its probably the best idea right now.

I do believe that Ballard is working the phones on players that he has interest in.   Just because they don't sign right away doesn't mean Ballard hasn't made contact and or offer.    He very well could have made the offers and they players are just seeing what else is coming before making a decision.

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

the FA list of terrible WR's Ballard has signed

I'll gladly debate you about the WRs Ballard has signed

The WRs who were brought in as camp bodies, practice squad members, and special teamers that you apparently expected to be a starting WR

27 minutes ago, groundnpound said:

CB sitting back waiting for the clearance sale to start. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here.

Yup. Lots of good players out there still. Anyone who thought the Colts were going to pay top $ in free agency, especially in a year like this, are kidding themselves. But they won't be inactive; patience is required right now, as tough as it is. The priority is one or two new players and signing back the players they want to keep. 

2 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Yup. Lots of good players out there still. Anyone who thought the Colts were going to pay top $ in free agency, especially in a year like this, are kidding themselves. But they won't be inactive; patience is required right now, as tough as it is. The priority is one or two new players and signing back the players they want to keep. 

Agreed. There were 3-4 teams with a bountiful amount of cap space, the Patriots, Jags were the top. It’s no surprise to see them making these moves. I think the Hooded one is about to try to make one last run before he retires and they’re going all in. 

that said, just remember this, rarely ever does the team that wins free agency, IE spends the most money, do well the next season or seasons.

3 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

JMV...... Is that you?  All this wanting big WR signings and talk of groundhog day..... It has to be you.....love your sho man.... Listen most every day.  Hope your mom's doing better!

Nah, that’s insulting to JMV, I like JMV, he has class and tact. 

2 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Patience, Grasshoppers, patience.  ("Kung Fu" reference for all you young guns ready to pull that hair-trigger.)

200.gif

Man I haven’t seen that in FOREVER!! That may have to be my weekly pay per view movie tonight.

2 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Hmm...Tampa?

They spent mildly on Brady. Don’t recall any other high priced free agent pick ups.  A lot of the team was the same as year before.  Barrett, White, Evans, Godwin, 

nothing that has happened so far has me very concerned about the Colts.

Impulsive spending is what gets you into bad contracts. Everybody expects results over night, but patience is the key. This isn’t the NBA or MLB you can’t just simply go out and buy a team and expect a Super Bowl every year. When you show desperation and just start throwing large sums of money around in contracts you are showing your hand. I’d much rather have a GM like Ballard who is patient. He has success building in the draft and rarely hands out a bad contact that sets the team up for cap issues. We have a good team and just need to continue adding pieces at the right price and situation to our core. Lets just wait and see what the end results are before going into apocalyptic mode. Btw sorry for the long first post, been lurking for years and finally decided to post. 

The two signings so far that hurt me most were:

Okwara for 3 years and $39M

Ngakoue for 2 years and $26M

Ngakoue especially hurts because that is a very very reasonable deal. Ouch. 

still will be plenty of talent out there to grab. But yea that one hurt at that price point. 

Schefter reporting its two year 26mil for Agholor.. 

Originally I thought adding John Brown and Agholor would severely help the WR room. Brown is still out there. 

Don't know for sure but I'm shocked the Colts couldn't afford that. Unless they were just not interested. Maybe Frank and Carson not high on Agholor from familiarity.

DISCLAIMER ** ONLY FACTS in this posting is bolded top line... Just so we are all clear

:thmup:

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Schefter reporting its two year 26mil for Agholor.. 

Originally I thought adding John Brown and Agholor would severely help the WR room. Brown is still out there. 

Don't know for sure but I'm shocked the Colts couldn't afford that. Unless they were just not interested. Maybe Frank and Carson not high on Agholor from familiarity.

DISCLAIMER ** ONLY FACTS in this posting is bolded top line... Just so we are all clear

:thmup:

No way in hell I'd give Agholor 13 mil

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think the Hooded one is about to try to make one last run before he retires and they’re going all in. 

That's what I was thinking. These look like the type of moves that a team will do for a player that's close to hanging it up (Denver/Manning). Why not do the same for one of the greatest coaches ever?

Just now, Nate! said:

They spent mildly on Brady. Don’t recall any other high priced free agent pick ups.  A lot of the team was the same as year before.  Barrett, White, Evans, Godwin, 

nothing that has happened so far has me very concerned about the Colts.

They resigned their own plus signed Gronk, Fournette and Brown. The point is they made moves to get better. They are doing the same this year.

CB is above ave in trades and  at drafting but can't close deals in FA or as we know hiring a coach. How many teams have had situations like the Luck and McDaniels fiascios?

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

No way in hell I'd give Agholor 13 mil

No way in Hell should any of these guys be making as much as some of them do. With that being said it's the Market that dictates the spending most times. you can only hope that once that money is shelled that the player lives up to the money or goes beyond it

3 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I liked Agholor here but not at that price being honest too. I’d say Ballard won’t go above $10m/y for TY.

If you are going on the pure money alone vs production (catches) TY would generate more. Agholor caught 48 passes last year, TY caught 56. It might come down to age. Agholor might be viewed to have a slightly higher ceiling than TY at this point based on age alone. I still would not pay TY. I'd let him go

Ronald Darby getting 3 years and $30M sets the stage for what I’d ask for as a minimum of I were Rhodes. 

not saying he will get it. But still. Sets the ballpark. And to me it’s higher than I would want to pay. 

let this market fizzle and settle down and go clean up after day three. 

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

man this patriots crap is getting on my last nerve lol 

They will be in the mix for the SB next year. So will TB. Both teams are trying to improve. You can't improve in this league unless you're willing to gamble a little. CB is not a gambler. Not a risk taker.

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I think BB wants to prove something after TB won in TB

Completely agree. A lot of people thought Tom was the beneficiary of The Hooded one, myself included. I’m sure old Bill is taking some flack for letting Brady go too. 

Archived