Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Archive Thread (Days 1-4)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TonyBungee said:

I've thought for a while that they were hoping the Eagles would just cut Ertz.  But now with these 2 both in NE, it'll probably take at least a 4th to get him.

I could see Buffalo trading for Ertz. That would be a scary offensive addition if he gets healthy on that team. They're likely to upgrade at RB too

6 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

This would be a good time to try and scoop up someone like Curtis Samuel, who would be a versatile weapon for this offense, and would thrive in the slot I believe. Can't count on Campbell staying healthy. 

Well this is a perfectly reasonable option, and I would be excited to see how he fits; however, can’t a guy dream with Kenny G still on the board lol?

I know there is virtually no chance of that happening, but BDB has shown he will swing big if the talent is there, as evidenced by the Buckner trade. With Kenny G, the talent is there. Anything is possible, albeit highly unlikely. 

22 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Rhodes is going to demand at least $12m/y now with Shaq Griffin making $15m/y. And Rhodes is better than him, if older. Some crazy money being thrown around.

Rhodes is roughly 31.   Griffin is roughly 25/26.    Rhodes had a bad year or two before he came to Indy.   I don’t think you have to worry about Rhodes getting that kind of money.   And if he does, the Colts will take the comp pick. 

5 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Wow I’ve been watching this nonstop trying to figure how he did it  lol

Pretty nice hand manipulations, he just closes his front hand, but he does it smoothly no doubt, tough to see.

25 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

No team that has their eyes on the prize can fill all their roster needs by the draft alone.

And since they've only missed like 1 AFCCG in like 20 seasons I'd say from a bottom line winning perspective they've done ok. haha

True. FA has its purpose,   But you can't rebuild a team by using it.    They haven't drafted well in yrs  otherwise they wouldn't have that many holes to fill.    They had Tom Brady,   He covered up the flaws just like Manning did here.

12 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

True. FA has its purpose,   But you can't rebuild a team by using it.    They haven't drafted well in yrs  otherwise they wouldn't have that many holes to fill.    They had Tom Brady,   He covered up the flaws just like Manning did here.

I have always preferred using FA to plug a big need for your team vs. the draft.  Ballard has drafted well for the long term as he built this team.  Now he should fill a few needs with an experienced FA or two or three.  Expecting some real nice adds at LT, DE, and WR now. 

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I have always preferred using FA to plug a big need for your team vs. the draft.  Ballard has drafted well for the long term as he built this team.  Now he should fill a few needs with an experienced FA or two or three.  Expecting some real nice adds at LT, DE, and WR now. 

If you are good at drafting like Ballard is its always better to build mostly through draft 

36 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Ballard should just spare us the suspense and just sign Houston to a 2 year deal!

where would the fun be in that, the sparing the suspense part, not the signing Houston (which I'm good with btw)

My thoughts, and I could be wrong:

If you are a good drafting team, then most likely you are drafting Best Player Available, or using a blend of need vs. BPA. That means that you are not always able to fill your team's needs through the draft. Sometimes you are just adding depth (depending on how the draft unfolds), which is fine.

Therefor, once you have identified areas of need, shouldn't you use FA to address those needs? I'm okay with spending money on impact players at impact positions, (DE for example).

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Interesting 

I don't mind Ballard taking a chance on Mack at all. 

I am sure he has cleared the medical aspect so it shouldn't be a problem.

Mack has always been a great Colt and through his play IMO deserves a chance either to prove himself, or at least get paid s little. 

What are people's thoughts on Ifeadi Odenigbo? Looks like he's headed to free agency. Only 3.5 sacks last year, but 10.5 sacks the past 2 years in only 15 starts. Sounds like he was constantly double teamed last year. Could be an affordable option to contribute to the edge rush alongside Buckner, in which case he would not see as many double teams. I don't know a whole lot about him. Any insight? 

4 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Gosh I really don’t know what to make of this

Word was as of early this morning that Colts would let him check the market.

So.

1. He feels disrespected by the lack of offers by other teams.

2. The Colts didn't let him test the market like reported and just tagged him.

3. Colts offered lowest tender instead of something higher.

Could be combo of all 3, although I think the Colts let him check the market and then when he didn't get the offers on day 1 he was hoping for we tendered him.?

Definitely not a good post coming from your all pro Safety/SPT guy.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

So.

Could be combo of all 3, although I think the Colts let him check the market and then when he didn't get the offers on day 1 he was hoping for we tendered him.?

I read it that his market wasn’t what he thought it would be

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

So.

2.  This tag doesn’t prevent him from testing the market.  It just gives the Colts the right to match any offer he gets.  

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Doubt it. Despite not watching too much I heard 2 positive reports on Mack. Former Wr Smith said Mack was his top FA RB. In another report someone said Mack is drawing interest from teams.

So in all likely there will probably be a team that will be willing to pay Mack more than Ballard. 

Especially if Ballard decides to replace him with a 6th-7th round/UDFA at a bare minimum price.

We'll see.

Am I missing something with the Mack tweet ? I don't see anything that speculates the 1 year "prove it " deal is with Indy. I would think he signs somewhere other than Indy.

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

So.

Yeah good post w87r, it could be he is annoyed that there was just no market for special teams players in general throughout the league. He was available if a team wanted him.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

2.  This tag doesn’t prevent him from testing the market.  It just gives the Colts the right to match any offer he gets.  

No doubt, I think the Colts held of on tagging him a day though so teams wouldn't be worried about a potential match by the Colts.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

No doubt, I think the Colts held of on tagging him a day though so teams wouldn't be worried about a potential match by the Colts.

That's my thoughts as well and it's actually a good faith gesture from the Colts to Odum, IMHO

Archived