Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Archive Thread (Days 1-4)

Just now, Virtuoso80 said:

Familiar target for Wentz and Reich knows him, that would be my guess.

I suppose. But if we’re giving Wentz a fresh start, I’d think we’d want to refresh his weapons too. Although I could see the benefit of having a familiar weapon like we did with Fleener and Luck

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since there are more people active now than there were earlier, I'm interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts on Ifeadi Odenigbo? He had 3.5 sacks last year, but 10.5 sacks the past 2 years in only 15 starts. He was in the top 5 of edge rushers double teamed last year. He is potentially an affordable option to contribute to the edge rush alongside Buckner, in which case he would not see as many double teams. Anyone feel strongly one way or another?

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

This.

Seems like a last ditch effort to dump him before releasing him tomorrow to get under cap.

I completely agree. Wait them out. They got enough picks from us already lol. They will release him and everyone in the league has to know it...

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

TRADING for a good wide receiver in a year that has a large pool of FA wide receivers and another great class of wide receivers in the draft is a BALLARD MOVE?!?    Huh?

Ballard is going to send a valuable draft pick to acquire a wide receiver he can get either by signing or by drafting or both.  Seriously?

I know no one here loves a trade more than you, but....    really?

Apparently professional GM's from other teams are doing just that.  Duh

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Depends what they’d take. If it’s something stupid small like a 4th from next year, sure

He would cost us $8m+

Would rather just offef him a new 2yr $10m deal or something, tham pay him $8m+.

1 minute ago, CardiacColts said:

Since there are more people active now than there were earlier, I'm interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts on Ifeadi Odenigbo? He had 3.5 sacks last year, but 10.5 sacks the past 2 years in only 15 starts. He was in the top 5 of edge rushers double teamed last year. He is potentially an affordable option to contribute to the edge rush alongside Buckner, in which case he would not see as many double teams. Anyone feel strongly one way or another?

I'd love to keep him as a rotational guy. I like intelligent players like him. I hope we keep him. 

35 minutes ago, RNGDShobby said:

Texans preparing to say goodbye to Watson? Thats a lot to pay a back up.

Yeah and almost 100 percent of their available capspace heading into tomorrow 

4 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

I’d pick him up if cheap

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Jags and Titans loading up on D some more. I wanted Brown when he was drafted. I think that’s when we went with Dorsett if I recall right

That's right. Some fans wanted that LB that the Giants traded up for. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

What’s the formula for that?

It starts with unrestricted free agents lost and signed. Then depending on the contract value for the round.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

Players released though, like say Adoree Jackson, don't count against that. So if Ballard is looking at players cut before 4pm tomorrow those players wouldnt go against us in the formula.

4 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

I completely agree with your approach here. Does that mean someone else potentially snags him for a 5th? Well, so be it.

Yeah maybe, but if released I like the Colts chances of bringing him in. I imagine this would be his #1 option with Reich and Wentz

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Yeah maybe, but if released I like the Colts chances of bringing him in. I imagine this would be his #1 option with Reich and Wentz

I share your thoughts on the situation completely. I have nothing more to add lol. I just don't want us to give them another draft pick, unless maybe a 7th. I don't mind not watching the last round of the draft anyways haha. 

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

I can't remember who but didn't we do a Gavin mock several years ago where a poster predicted Colts to draft Neal and was laughed at. He ultimately ended up being drafted in 1st anyway to the Falcons.

Just remembered that as well yes

11 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

I share your thoughts on the situation completely. I have nothing more to add lol. I just don't want us to give them another draft pick, unless maybe a 7th. I don't mind not watching the last round of the draft anyways haha. 

I wouldn't give them a pick at all.

Maybe Doyle for Ertz? Maybe? They might need to add a 6th or 7th in that case.

That would have a cap offset of around $4m($8.25m-$4.35m) for us. Although Eagles don't really save to much.

Ertz reunites with Wentz and Reich

Doyle reunites Sirianni and Micheals(TE coach) I think that is his name.

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Apparently professional GM's from other teams are doing just that.  Duh

Miller is a good wide receiver.   I’m not saying he isn’t.    It’s not a surprise there would be interest from other teams.

But there’s only so much FA money.   There are only so many draft picks. 

Why should Ballard spend a high draft pick, PLUS give the player an extension when we still have all the other needs that you know we have?    To me, that’s the opposite of a Ballard move.    Ballard isn’t going to get into a bidding war with other GMs for a commodity he can get elsewhere for less.

It isn’t about whether Miller is a good player or not — he is.   It’s about spending limited assets wisely to get the most bang for your buck.   That is what Ballard excels at.  

That would have a cap offset of around $4m($8.25m-$4.35m) for us. Although Eagles don't really save to much.

I keep thinking Doyle is a FA for some reason. I don’t know why

That would have a cap offset of around $4m.

Why would we trade for Ertz and accept his current contract?   Don’t we want to let the Eagles cut Ertz and then sign him for a more team friendly contract?  

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why would we trade for Ertz and accept his current contract?   Don’t we want to let the Eagles cut Ertz and then sign him for a more team friendly contract?  

That is exactly what he was/ we were initially saying. This was more of a last minute if we had to trade for him scenario. I think we are all in agreement that the best option is wait it out and let them release him. I thought the context might be helpful, as it was a back and forth discussion. 

Archived