Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Archive Thread (Days 1-4)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Thats a lot of money invested in OL. I know its doable but want invest money in DE and CB too. 

Certainly 1 of those would be addressed in Rd 1 and likely the other in round 2.

Edit:

Keep in mind as well, Colts can still clear up more money this year if need be. Signing Williams they would likely need to, but could still address those spots by doing so.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Yeah, my list in starting to look like this:

DE - Houston back, Tanoh Kpassagnon, Dunlap

CB - Rhodes, Peterson

WR - Hilton, Samuel

LT - Trent Williams, Villanuava

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nice list.    Thought I'd share a few other names I've seen of DE's from other posters in the last few days for whatever it might be worth...     In no particular order...

I'll start with someone I didn't even know existed until someone posted his name this morning.   A DE from Carolina, named Efe Obada.    He's late to American football and just now seems to be rounding into shape at age 29.   Might be a 1-year guy.

Benson Mayawa...   He's 30, but has been linked to the Colts for the past few years.

Solomon Thomas....    might be a guy who can play both DE and DT.   But strictly a back-up rotational piece.

Ryan Kerrigan....        33,  but a quality person and player.     Maybe a 1-year deal if he wants to be on a good team.

Jadaveon Clowny....     any interest?    At any price?     I don't want him if he still think's he's a great player worthy of a great contract.    But if his asking price has come down,  then....   maybe?

AQ Muhammed.....      are you not interested in bringing him back at a team friendly deal?   I think he's young enough that his best football might still be in front of him.

Any of these guys interest you?

Took me a minute to figure out how to quote both of these from 2 different pages  LOL

w87r. (what's behind this name anyway?).   I like your list. and I also like some from NCF. 

I want Houston and Rhodes and TY back along with Mack.  I am good with bringing back Muhammed too.   

I am warming up to the Clowney idea now that Autry is gone.  I wanted him back as well.   Clowney can play both inside as a backup for Buckner and on the outside.  He versatile in that way. 

I have not gotten my hopes up on Williams, but WOW would that be a big move.    

It's an interesting development with Trent Williams for sure. San Francisco are tight enough on cap space. They would probably just be better off getting their guy via draft. Williams' market is very limited, I doubt there are many others (maybe just us 49ers, Chiefs), if any, involved. Most of the teams with some capacity to sign Williams are fine at LT.

15 minutes ago, w87r said:

Have a strange feeling Williams is going to end up a Colt abd it will be amazing.

Ballard loves the trenches.

We can legit have an OL looking like this for next 4-5yrs.

Williams,Q, Kelly, Glow/replacement,Smith

The cap will go back up and we will be able to make it work by staggering these deals.

Williams bigger cap hit this year, Smith big extension kicking in next year followed by Q after his 5th year option expires.

Might be the best OL ever assembled.

I'd be good with all of this.  Williams is (the over used term) a generational talent.  Line him up beside of Nelson and watch JT run wild and Wentz stand up tall all day long!

So how do the Chief's, who have no money and some how signed a OG for the highest contract in history for his position, the the 49'ers who cut and trade players to get under the cap have money to get into a bidding war? This whole "cap space" think is just a not funny joke at this point..

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

Certainly 1 of those would be addressed in Rd 1 and likely the other in round 2.

Edit:

Keep in mind as well, Colts can still clear up more money this year if need be. Signing Williams they would likely need to, but could still address those spots by doing so.

Who would you think they’d go and do that with

2 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

So how do the Chief's, who have no money and some how signed a OG for the highest contract in history for his position, the the 49'ers who cut and trade players to get under the cap have money to get into a bidding war? This whole "cap space" think is just a not funny joke at this point..

There’s multiple ways to manipulate the cap

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Who would you think they’d go and do that with

There has already been talks about Wentz restructure which could save some $18m this season.

Kelly could save another $6.75m

Trade or release Doyle for another $4.35.

That's $29m more in potential additional space. Just would depend on their confidence in Wentz.

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

There has already been talks about Wentz restructure which could save some $18m this season.

That's $29m more in potential additional space. Just would depend on their confidence in Wentz.

That would be great and show he is a team player. Obviously he isn't taking a pay cut just restructuring to get the team through this low cap season and still add some FA's to go win it this yr.

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

I have not followed along but with all the Colts cap space, why do they need to restructure any salaries?

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Does anyone know what "a four-year qualifying contract spot" is?

@w87r @Shive @Superman @PrincetonTiger

@stitches (anyone else)

Another type of veteran salary benefit, it can be offered to a player with at least four credited seasons whose contract with a team has expired after being on said team for four or more consecutive, uninterrupted league years prior to his contract expiring. Such a player must have been on the team’s 90-man active/inactive list for said seasons (and every regular-season and postseason game). Teams can sign a maximum of two eligible players to this type of salary benefit.

A qualifying contract under this benefit is a one-year deal with a base salary of up to $1.25 million more (set to increase in 2022) than the minimum base salary for said player. However, if a team does sign two players to a qualifying contract, it can only give a combined $1.25 million in additional base salary between the two deals. Under such agreements, only the applicable minimum base salary (not the $1.25 million benefit) is charged against the salary cap.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/new-qualifying-contract-might-be-perfect-way-for-steelers-to-retain-dt-tyson-alulau/

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

Doyle is going nowhere! He's worth is more than just the stat sheet. He does a lot of the dirty work, and is highly regarded by the team, staff and management. I would be shock honestly.

12 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I have not followed along but with all the Colts cap space, why do they need to restructure any salaries?

We would only need to restructure some deals if we spend half of our cap space on Trent Williams

So one thing I’ve noticed, the Colts have had the least or one of the least amounts of dead money in the league each year of Ballard’s tenure. Not counting the first season after grigs was fired.

Just now, craigerb said:

Here Kitty, Kitty, McKitty

More like here Kwity Kwity, Kwity Paye!

Just now, csmopar said:

That’s only if we want to make other FA moves

I think if you make a move like that for Williams, you have to go all in and would have to try and bring some more people in/ or back.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I’ve never been as high on a prospect as I have Paye. This guy gonna be special. Barring injury or something stupid. 

How far up do you think we would have to move to get him? I don't think he has been there at 21 in any of the mocks I have run so far.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I’ve never been as high on a prospect as I have Paye. This guy gonna be special. Barring injury or something stupid. 

Yup and hopefully all the teams at the front of the draft fight over QB's, WR's, a TE, a few OT's and a couple of CB's. And then it's, come on down Kwity Paye!

49 minutes ago, w87r said:

Have a strange feeling Williams is going to end up a Colt abd it will be amazing.

Maybe so.  Ballard is willing to pay for real talent(Buckner). He just won't pay A money for B or C talent.  At 33 years old, you might have to draw the line though.

6 minutes ago, Hark said:

How far up do you think we would have to move to get him? I don't think he has been there at 21 in any of the mocks I have run so far.

Mostly depends on how high teams are on the two Miami DEs above him. Most mocks I’ve seen have him going top 15. So if he falls out of the top 10, I’m making calls if I’m Ballard 

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Maybe so.  Ballard is willing to pay for real talent(Buckner). He just won't pay A money for B or C talent.  At 33 years old, you might have to draw the line though.

Probably a 2-3yr deal, but he literally is coming off a season where he was rated the #1 Tackle in the league. He is most definitely A talent. He still is playing at the top of his game still.

Archived