Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Archive Thread (Days 1-4)

4 minutes ago, gspdx said:

The Colt FAs aren't really flying off the board.  

Outside of Autry,  haven't heard a word about any of them. Rhodes is a scheme dependent player, which should help us.  

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Couple of thoughts while watching the last couple of days:

• Really glad Ballard sat out the funny money part of FA.  We have seen this is his MO and I know many people get upset when he doesn't go get the impact player they like, but this is his approach and I think it is wise.  I do think if he felt we were one guy from winning it all he would go get that guy.
  • The Colt FAs aren't really flying off the board.  Could be good for us if we want to retain their services for a fair price.

to be honest, only the super names are coming off the board, the big names, big dollar guys.  That was to be expected. Very few of the 2nd tier guys came off the board.  Autry being one of those. There's a lot of good to very good guys available still and a LOT of teams burnt what capspace and moves they could make up already. For once, the Jags showed some smarts and didn't go stupid on contracts.  They must have traded places with the Pats. 

Anyway, I think the starting, impact players, 2nd tier guys will go today and tonight. These guys may not be game wreckers, but they'll be impactful upgrades in general. In Ballard we trust

to be honest, its this level where ive felt the impact of the cut to the cap will be felt the most. this point and beyond.

one more thing to note, at LOT of these teams over/at the cap, or just under it, barely have 50-55 players signed and they're still gonna need to sign more players for camps.  There's gonna have to be movement, for example, falcons have just 44 players signed, they're 2.5 million OVER the cap already. after restructuring guys. 

Just a reminder... only the top 51 contracts count against the salary cap. Teams aren't going to be cutting a bunch of people just so they can afford to fill out their 90 (or whatever the number is) man roster.

Edit: But yeah if you are over the cap with only 40 something players, that's obviously gonna be a problem.

8 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

Just a reminder... only the top 51 contracts count against the salary cap. Teams aren't going to be cutting a bunch of people just so they can afford to fill out their 90 (or whatever the number is) man roster.

Edit: But yeah if you are over the cap with only 40 something players, that's obviously gonna be a problem.

not entirely true, for now until September. yes top 51 counts, after september 1, all 53 players count. So while yes, the full 90 wont, but the falcons, and a few others have less than 51 players signed and are over the cap still. 

1 hour ago, adubb84 said:

Not his preferred destination.....None the less, this bodes well for us signing TY again as the market is WEAK for WR payouts 

I heard on sirius that Golliday, Fuller, and Samuel all share the same agency. This could be why there is a bottleneck with these wideouts. If Golliday is the top dog typically the agency will take care of top dogs first before getting others attended to.. Might be credible reason IDK :dunno:

7 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I heard on sirius that Golliday, Fuller, and Samuel all share the same agency. This could be why there is a bottleneck with these wideouts. If Golliday is the top dog typically the agency will take care of top dogs first before getting others attended to.. Might be credible reason IDK :dunno:

Looking at the top of the list of teams with available cap space, I can kind of see why players like Golladay and Fuller have not signed yet. There aren’t many teams that can offer them good money and with the teams that can, they are pretty set ok at WR.

I wonder could Ballard go for Golladay or Fuller, say a one year prove it deal. Both those guys have had injuries and they’d be better off taking a prove it deal and get a more lucrative contract next year when the cap goes up.

And Ballard does have some precedence doing this, he gave Funchess a $10m 1 year deal. I wouldn’t have any problem Ballard giving someone like Fuller say a $12m 1 year deal with incentives. That’s about as good as he is going to get at this stage.

5 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Looking at the top of the list of teams with available cap space, I can kind of see why players like Golladay and Fuller have not signed yet. There aren’t many teams that can offer them good money and with the teams that can, they are pretty set ok at WR.

I wonder could Ballard go for Golladay or Fuller, say a one year prove it deal. Both those guys have had injuries and they’d be better off taking a prove it deal and get a more lucrative contract next year when the cap goes up.

And Ballard does have some precedence doing this, he gave Funchess a $10m 1 year deal. I wouldn’t have any problem Ballard giving someone like Fuller say a $12m 1 year deal with incentives. That’s about as good as he is going to get at this stage.

I'd love to see Golladay signed   Big receiver.  Seems to be what CB/FR are looking for.     

4 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I'd want nothing to do with Fuller.

1) Injury prone. https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/will-fuller/7478

2) Had a PED Violation last year and was suspended for 6 games. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/texans-will-fuller-suspended-six-games-for-ped-violation-receiver-offers-explanation-in-social-media-post/

3 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

6 minutes ago, BluesGirl said:

I'd love to see Golladay signed   Big receiver.  Seems to be what CB/FR are looking for.     

both of these guys are somewhat fragile, no thanks on either

9 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I understand the concerns, no doubt about it. Hence just a 1 year deal.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Overreaction on Golladay I think.

I think Golladay could thrive in our system. Our running game should open up a lot of airspace, and Golladay has the talent to capitalize if he can be attained for the right price. I would love to see a 2 year, 25-26 mil deal front loaded to alleviate cap space next year to extend our guys. He is a weapon. 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I like this group a lot.  I'm hoping McGlinchey is still on Ballards radar.  After the 49'ers agreed on Williams and Mack they might be willing to trade McGlinchey now.  An over 10m cap hit on his 5th yr option which is coming up might be enough of a hit to let us trade for him.  I would love to see him next to Nelson again for a long time.  

Mcglinchey is a good run blocker but sucks at pass protection....made even worse with his decision to become vegan. My brother in law who is a niners fan says that he got tossed around quite a bit....by safteys even.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Mcglinchey is a good run blocker but sucks at pass protection....made even worse with his decision to become vegan. My brother in law who is a niners fan says that he got tossed around quite a bit....by safteys even.

Ballard did reportedly call about him.  He must be interested and not too concerned.

6 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I don't think him being a vegan has anything to do with it.

There are quite a few NFL players that are vegan including Tom Brady. 

10 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Potential Bears Cap casualty. They are struggling to make this 4pm deadline it seems 

That would be crazy. With all the money that has already been spent, he would have to take a huge pay cut!

12 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Potential Bears Cap casualty. They are struggling to make this 4pm deadline it seems 

I sincerely hope pro bowl guys like Fuller will be the type of players Ballard is targeting here very soon. Would be an upgrade at corner to anything we have aside from Moore. 

Archived