Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Archive Thread (Days 1-4)

Just now, CardiacColts said:

Honestly, I hope this is how it plays out. I prefer Eason as our QB2 over paying someone like Trubisky... Save the $$$ and the roster spot. 

No doubt.

On a different note:

Strange transaction here. Goodwin didn't play last year so per trade, goes back to SF. :dunno:

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Hope you’re right.   But I do wonder....

Saw a recent story that said Reich likes Philly’s backup Nate Sudfeld.   That he might be a super inexpensive backup, like $1.5 on a one year deal.   I assume that’s only if Eason is judged not to be ready.   

I could see this.

I know that connection/ possibility has been floating around a couple of years.

Just now, CardiacColts said:

That's a thing??? I have spent many decades following the NFL, but this one confuses me. How does that work?

Marquise Goodwin reverted back to the 49ers from the Eagles per the terms of the trade the two teams made last year.

Eagles swapped sixth-round picks with San Francisco in order to acquire Goodwin before he opted out of last season altogether. Since he didn't play a single snap, he'll (oddly) revert back to the Niners' roster ahead of the new league year. Even so, the 49ers have no use for the 30-year-old seeing as they were willing to part with him just last year. He'll hit the market in the coming days.

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/football/nfl/player/11890/marquise-goodwin

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Marquise Goodwin reverted back to the 49ers from the Eagles per the terms of the trade the two teams made last year.

Eagles swapped sixth-round picks with San Francisco in order to acquire Goodwin before he opted out of last season altogether. Since he didn't play a single snap, he'll (oddly) revert back to the Niners' roster ahead of the new league year. Even so, the 49ers have no use for the 30-year-old seeing as they were willing to part with him just last year. He'll hit the market in the coming days.

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/football/nfl/player/11890/marquise-goodwin

That is so strange. Granted, everything over the past year has been strange. Sounds like he would be on the market either way.

6 minutes ago, RNGDShobby said:

The more I think about this, the more I keep asking myself the same question. If he hasn't actually been released yet, is this still legal tampering? Serious question.

Contractually, it seems like actual tampering without the Saints formally releasing him. For all other teams know, the Saints could be looking to trade him like Ertz (we know they aren't, but it doesn't mean they couldn't). It doesn't mean he won't be released; however, this seems a little less up and up than the spirit of the legal tampering window allows.

Just a thought. I'm curious to hear what others think.

59 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah, my list in starting to look like this:

DE - Houston back, Tanoh Kpassagnon, Dunlap

CB - Rhodes, Peterson

WR - Hilton, Samuel

LT - Trent Williams, Villanuava

Nice list.    Thought I'd share a few other names I've seen of DE's from other posters in the last few days for whatever it might be worth...     In no particular order...

I'll start with someone I didn't even know existed until someone posted his name this morning.   A DE from Carolina, named Efe Obada.    He's late to American football and just now seems to be rounding into shape at age 29.   Might be a 1-year guy.

Benson Mayawa...   He's 30, but has been linked to the Colts for the past few years.

Solomon Thomas....    might be a guy who can play both DE and DT.   But strictly a back-up rotational piece.

Ryan Kerrigan....        33,  but a quality person and player.     Maybe a 1-year deal if he wants to be on a good team.

Jadaveon Clowny....     any interest?    At any price?     I don't want him if he still think's he's a great player worthy of a great contract.    But if his asking price has come down,  then....   maybe?

AQ Muhammed.....      are you not interested in bringing him back at a team friendly deal?   I think he's young enough that his best football might still be in front of him.

Any of these guys interest you?

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nice list.    Thought I'd share a few other names I've seen of DE's from other posters in the last few days for whatever it might be worth...     In no particular order...

I'll start with someone I didn't even know existed until someone posted his name this morning.   A DE from Carolina, named Efe Obada.    He's late to American football and just now seems to be rounding into shape at age 29.   Might be a 1-year guy.

Benson Mayawa...   He's 30, but has been linked to the Colts for the past few years.

Solomon Thomas....    might be a guy who can play both DE and DT.   But strictly a back-up rotational piece.

Ryan Kerrigan....        33,  but a quality person and player.     Maybe a 1-year deal if he wants to be on a good team.

Jadaveon Clowny....     any interest?    At any price?     I don't want him if he still think's he's a great player worthy of a great contract.    But if his asking price has come down,  then....   maybe?

AQ Muhammed.....      are you not interested in bringing him back at a team friendly deal?   I think he's young enough that his best football might still be in front of him.

Any of these guys interest you?

Would definitely be interested in bringing back Muhammed for $2m or so.

Mayawa(Sp?), Kerrigan don't do to much for me. I wouldn't complain by any means.

Don't really know anything about Obada, so cant speak on that.

On the fence with Clowney, could be low risk high reward situation if we could get for $6-$8m.

Thomas, could be intriguing, I know Buckner vouched for him. Coming off major injury, but could be a good option as well.

2 hours ago, CardiacColts said:

Since there are more people active now than there were earlier, I'm interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts on Ifeadi Odenigbo? He had 3.5 sacks last year, but 10.5 sacks the past 2 years in only 15 starts. He was in the top 5 of edge rushers double teamed last year. He is potentially an affordable option to contribute to the edge rush alongside Buckner, in which case he would not see as many double teams. Anyone feel strongly one way or another?

Sounds pretty interesting, and exactly the type of guy we would target.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

I know someone has calling for him to come to the Colts last couple days. Not to be.

Edit: CR91 beat me to the punch.

Yea I had been pounding the table the past few days for:
Akhello Witherspoon (scratch that), Carl Lawson (nopeeee), Dan Arnold, and Rashard Higgins

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The 49'ers "appear" to be in the mix?   How can they not be?  Supposedly they're working real hard to end this.  The question is how can the Chiefs still be in it?  

I don’t see Ballard in a bidding war that high

22 minutes ago, w87r said:

Would definitely be interested in bringing back Muhammed for $2m or so.

Mayawa(Sp?), Kerrigan don't do to much for me. I wouldn't complain by any means.

Don't really know anything about Obada, so cant speak on that.

On the fence with Clowney, could be low risk high reward situation if we could get for $6-$8m.

Thomas, could be intriguing, I know Buckner vouched for him. Coming off major injury, but could be a good option as well.

Thanks....

Since this post...   I've seen another interesting name from our new poster @CardiacColts     The name is a former Viking named Ifeadi Odenigbo.    Played college ball at Northwestern.    Seems to be have some traits that Ballard might like.   

So, another possible name to consider....   

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Have a strange feeling Williams is going to end up a Colt and it will be amazing.

Ballard loves the trenches.

We can legit have an OL looking like this for next 4-5yrs.

Williams,Q, Kelly, Glow/replacement,Smith

The cap will go back up and we will be able to make it work by staggering these deals.

Williams bigger cap hit this year, Smith big extension kicking in next year followed by Q after his 5th year option expires.

Might be the best OL ever assembled.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Have a strange feeling Williams is going to end up a Colt abd it will be amazing.

Ballard loves the trenches.

We can legit have an OL looking like this for next 4-5yrs.

Williams,Q, Kelly, Glow/replacement,Smith

The cap will go back up and we will be able to make it work by staggering these deals.

Williams bigger cap hit this year, Smith big extension kicking in next year followed by Q after his 5th year option expires.

Might be the best OL ever assembled.

But 23m + no thanks

4 minutes ago, harrisoncolts88 said:

Yea I had been pounding the table the past few days for:
Akhello Witherspoon (scratch that), Carl Lawson (nopeeee), Dan Arnold, and Rashard Higgins

Still have a couple guys left.

abraham lincoln pounding the table GIF by HULU

7 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

But 23m + no thanks

He is the best LT in the game.

As I've saw someone post AC would've cost $16m and isn't nearly the player Williams is.

You only have the opportunity to put something like this together once. We are in position and the Colts have been so quiet I can just see this big splash happening.

the sandlot summer GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I'm pulling for it.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Still have a couple guys left.

abraham lincoln pounding the table GIF by HULU

This is true. I should have known better with Carl Lawson. That was more of thinking with my heart and not with my brain (aka don't do that folks in the upcoming March Madness brackets). But yea really liked the other 3 I listed. Guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board and find replacements for those positions. I could never really find an OT that I liked that would fit Ballard's motif

Just now, w87r said:

He is the best LT in the game.

As I've saw someone post AC would've cost $16m and isn't nearly the player Williams is.

You only have the opportunity to put something like this together once. We are in position and the Colts have been so quite, I can just see this big splash happening.

the sandlot summer GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I'm pulling for it.

If they did I want it to be 2 years tops

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It certainly looks like we are.   

Eh maybe. Keep in mind, early reports were that we were giving the Eagles two 1s and a player for Wentz..

if this guy was being offered 23 million per year at his age, he’d be an * not to take it

Just now, richard pallo said:

You always don't want to pay.  Didn't you read W87r's post?  It's entirely doable.  We don't know the number but the longer this goes I like our chances a lot. 

What post

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

You always don't want to pay.  Didn't you read W87r's post?  It's entirely doable.  We don't know the number but the longer this goes I like our chances a lot. 

Thats a lot of money invested in OL. I know its doable but want invest money in DE and CB too. 

Archived