Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Archive Thread (Days 1-4)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Golloday, Trent Williams, Ingram , and resign our guys and we are good to go...Draft an playmaking TE and another Tackle..

I still think we are in the Williams sweepstakes.  That's why it's taking so long.  49'ers are really having a hard time locking him up. 

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This feels like a Ballard move.  Good "proven" receiver on a rookie contract.  

Why should Ballard trade more draft picks for players when we are already short on picks as it is? Unless we're getting a young stud in return, makes no sense.

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I figured they’d cut someone with the moves they made. 

No way we can afford all that. Not this year

I am inclined to agree with you. Even if we could, it seems very uncharacteristic of Ballard; however, I am curious from a hypothetical standpoint.

If Ballard wanted to boost Wentz's confidence, alleviate some pressure, and elected to take 2 big swings on Golloday and TW, could he conceivably front load a bulk of their contracts this tear to mitigate any impact on extending our home grown guys next year? I have to imagine there could be some flexibility in doing so. 

Thoughts?

13 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Golloday, Trent Williams, Ingram , and resign our guys and we are good to go...Draft an playmaking TE and another Tackle..

Sign me up for Russell Okung and John Brown, along with re-signing Justin Houston.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Ballard letting others pay when there is another wave of players coming.

The Titans and Chiefs have already started their cuts

Just now, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

Some good players bring released today e.g Hudson Jackson and Williams. Maybe Ballard waiting to see who else will be dropped in the next 24hrs before swooping in.Fly Flight GIF by BBC America

Sounds like a good plan

4 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

I am inclined to agree with you. Even if we could, it seems very uncharacteristic of Ballard; however, I am curious from a hypothetical standpoint.

If Ballard wanted to boost Wentz's confidence, alleviate some pressure, and elected to take 2 big swings on Golloday and TW, could he conceivably front load a bulk of their contracts this tear to mitigate any impact on extending our home grown guys next year? I have to imagine there could be some flexibility in doing so. 

Thoughts?

Yep, what I was thinking as well...Somehow all these other teams do it every year why we just keep an extra 30 million for Irsays pockets...

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Ballard letting others pay when there is another wave of players coming.

Very interesting. Seems like the rest of us are playing checkers and Ballard is playing 4D chess. Let the cuts commence!

4 minutes ago, Archer said:

Sign me up for Russell Okung and John Brown, along with re-signing Justin Houston.

Is the clamor for John Brown because he would cost less than TY? I don't see why CB would go from one 31yr old to another otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Yuk don't want Houston back personally. He is really starting to show his age. 

I think he’s holding up pretty well for his age. I think he had a pretty good pass rush win rate, if I remember someone’s post earlier on.  At any rate, A) we’ve missed out on the top options, and B) I’d still be looking for a DE like Jordan Smith in Rd. 2.

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

Yep, what I was thinking as well...Somehow all these other teams do it every year why we just keep an extra 30 million for Irsays pockets...

I agree. I am not at all saying I think it will happen, but Ballard doesn't seem afraid to take big swings as long as the talent is there. With these 2 guys in particular, I don't see why we couldn't give a 3 year deal that is front loaded this year to mitigate cap concerns over the next 2 years when we are extending our own guys. 

Again, I don't think it will happen; however, if Ballard wanted to infuse talent into LT and WR, this does seem like a perfect opportunity to do just that. For me, the big driving forces would be talent infusion for stability and getting Wentz's confidence back ASAP. Essentially, you could argue that they are not only big talents but also insurance for our investment in Wentz. 

At the end of the day, it's just fun to think about. 

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

They don't have to pay the QB, just $6 mil. guaranteed for Cam, so they have the room and they possibly will push some contract money to the future for some other contracts including the classic "voidable years" technique that the Bucs and other teams are using to go all in now.

yes pats and bucs are very good at making cap room

8 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Is the clamor for John Brown because he would cost less than TY? I don't see why CB would go from one 31yr old to another otherwise. 

Yeah I don’t get the John brown lust at all. He’s done literally nothing in the league and is more fragile than even Campbell

5 minutes ago, Archer said:

I think he’s holding up pretty well for his age. I think he had a pretty good pass rush win rate, if I remember someone’s post earlier on.  At any rate, A) we’ve missed out on the top options, and B) I’d still be looking for a DE like Jordan Smith in Rd. 2.

ballard values his cap room over top tier playmakers who want paid for their playmaking talent, very good deal for irsay

This is Ballards style, build from within, pay your homegrown guys. He will sign a few guys later on and we will all go "huh who is that", then were banking on him drafting well. Which has worked out thus far to a point.

I do feel like when a team gets good enough to make a run at the SB the "build from within" mantra should be bent a bit to infuse the team with talent. Many Gm's just dont break from there system though.

3 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

ballard values his cap room over top tier playmakers who want paid for their playmaking talent, very good deal for irsay

If only people understood how this cap money is actually done before making posts like this....

7 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

looks like another off season of crap shoot draft picks and other teams cuts and undrafted free agents,

There’s a thread for these “predictions” over in the Colts section. Please take those concerns over there so we don’t have the massive arguments like we had in here last night. Thanks. 

25 minutes ago, Archer said:

Yeah, he was t-4 out of all edge rushers last year in pass rush win%, but I guess to some people that isn't very good, or even "yuk" worthy.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

There’s a thread for these “predictions” over in the Colts section. Please take those concerns over there so we don’t have the massive arguments like we had in here last night. Thanks. 

Its a forum thats what its supposed to be...What do you want everyone to agree and mods to lock and merge every thread...

43 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This feels like a Ballard move.  Good "proven" receiver on a rookie contract.  

TRADING for a good wide receiver in a year that has a large pool of FA wide receivers and another great class of wide receivers in the draft is a BALLARD MOVE?!?    Huh?

Ballard is going to send a valuable draft pick to acquire a wide receiver he can get either by signing or by drafting or both.  Seriously?

I know no one here loves a trade more than you, but....    really?

Archived