Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Archive Thread (Days 1-4)

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why would we trade for Ertz and accept his current contract?   Don’t we want to let the Eagles cut Ertz and then sign him for a more team friendly contract?  

Yeah we should do that, was just answering the post about trading a 7th for him.

Like I said the Doyle trade would essentially mean Ertz cost us $3.9m this year. The difference between Ertz contract($8.25m) and money saved by trading Doyle($4.35m).

But yes, as I posted last page I would just wait and see if they release him tomorrow.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

Thank you for the insight. I'm curious what your thoughts are if he saw fewer double teams on our O-Line?

You mean on your D-line? I think he would get a decent number of sacks and pressures. He is a high-energy guy who goes all out. If he is not double-teamed, I believe he will have a lot of success. I'm not sure if he is a starter, but I like him. He is a Ballard kind of guy.

This is SOOOOO dis-hearting. I can see if we're the Saint, where we have to shed 55 million just to be under the cap. But when we're one of the top teams with available cap space and we watch teams left and right fill up, it's horrible. Couldn't throw the fan base a bone, jst get that top DE or OT, maybe that shut down corner. Give us someone, but we got nothing. And I know there's crumbs left on the table, and I know some of these big ticket guys will bust.....but DAMN>>

2 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

That is exactly what he was/ we were initially saying. This was more of a last minute if we had to trade for him scenario. I think we are all in agreement that the best option is wait it out and let them release him. I thought the context might be helpful, as it was a back and forth discussion. 

I just looked at your profile.   I see you’re a long time member who hasn’t posted much.  This post of yours I think is the first post of yours I’ve seen, so I thought you might be new here.   You’re not.

Either way, your post here is really good.  Very strong.  So, a belated welcome to you here.  And looking forward to many more posts from you!     :thmup:

Just now, ColtJax said:

This is SOOOOO dis-hearting. I can see if we're the Saint, where we have to shed 55 million just to be under the cap. But when we're one of the top teams with available cap space and we watch teams left and right fill up, it's horrible. Couldn't throw the fan base a bone, jst get that top DE or OT, maybe that shut down corner. Give us someone, but we got nothing. And I know there's crumbs left on the table, and I know some of these big ticket guys will bust.....but DAMN>>

Top Tackle is still on the board.

Pretty good CBs left out there as well.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

You mean on your D-line? I think he would get a decent number of sacks and pressures. He is a high-energy guy who goes all out. If he is not double-teamed, I believe he will have a lot of success. I'm not sure if he is a starter, but I like him. He is a Ballard kind of guy.

Thanks! I edited that boneheaded mistake, but yes, I certainly meant on our D line. I asked because he did strike me as a Ballard guy with potentially high upside. I have to imagine his is an upgrade to those currently under contract for us, barring perhaps a healthy, breakout Turay. Again, I appreciate your observations. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I just looked at your profile.   I see you’re a long time member who hasn’t posted much.  This post of yours I think is the first post of yours I’ve seen, so I thought you might be new here.   You’re not.

Either way, your post here is really good.  Very strong.  So, a belated welcome to you here.  And looking forward to many more posts from you!     :thmup:

Hahaha I am certainly grateful for the welcome. I have been a very long-time lurker, but you are correct. It has been a while since I have posted. I am just enjoying jumping back into the swing of things with a bit more time to post, rather than my usual reading every page on every thread in the shadows lol. Again, thank you!

20 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Was that Rueben Foster?

Sorry, I meant safety, not linebacker. (It's the end of the day. I'm tired.)

In that draft (2015), the Colts drafted Dorsett when fans wanted Malcolm Brown, Kendricks, and the  safety that the Giants moved up to get. I think his last name was Collins. @Colts_Fan12 can tell you.

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Either or for me

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Yeah, I am completely fine with not getting Ertz and not bringing back Burton at all.

Ideally, we could sign Ertz to $4-$5m FA deal, keep Doyle and tender Cox(pause) and have a solid 3 man squad there.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Yeah, I am completely fine with not getting Ertz and not bringing back Burton at all.

Ideally, we could sign Ertz to $4-$5m FA deal, keep Doyle and tender Cox(pause) and have a solid 3 man squad there.

I would be more than happy with this. I do hope to see more snaps for M.A.C though. In my opinion, he has earned an opportunity to show what he's got with more volume. I would prefer keeping him to getting Ertz and hindering his development if it came down to it.

Just now, CardiacColts said:

I would be more than happy with this. I do hope to see more snaps for M.A.C though. In my opinion, he has earned an opportunity to show what he's got with more volume. I would prefer keeping him to getting Ertz and hindering his development if it came down to it.

See my last post Above

7 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

Hahaha I am certainly grateful for the welcome. I have been a very long-time lurker, but you are correct. It has been a while since I have posted. I am just enjoying jumping back into the swing of things with a bit more time to post, rather than my usual reading every page on every thread in the shadows lol. Again, thank you!

Nice to have you!

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

See my last post Above

Oh for sure! I agree with that as well. My concern with Ertz besides his fragility and decline, is that I would hate to see him overused as a safety blanket for Wentz. I want Wentz comfortable to rebuild confidence, but I just think of some of the silly forced throws Luck had early on to Reggie when others were open. There is comfort and there is hampering progress and growth... I like your idea for a lot of reasons. 

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Nice to have you!

Thank you. It is funny because it is easy to read these threads all the time and feel like a part of the conversation as I mull all of the thoughts and opinions in my head. I guess I forgot how long it had been since I was more active with the interaction piece lol. :headspin:

9 minutes ago, #12. said:

Yeah, at this point, I'll be happy with just getting a few of our own back.

Yeah, my list in starting to look like this:

DE - Houston back, Tanoh Kpassagnon, Dunlap

CB - Rhodes, Peterson

WR - Hilton, Samuel

LT - Trent Williams, Villanuava

9 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I would be fine with a TE room of JD, MAC, and a DP

Not really feeling drafting a TE unless it is late.

9 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

5 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

Oh for sure! I agree with that as well. My concern with Ertz besides his fragility and decline, is that I would hate to see him overused as a safety blanket for Wentz. I want Wentz comfortable to rebuild confidence, but I just think of some of the silly forced throws Luck had early on to Reggie when others were open. There is comfort and there is hampering progress and growth... I like your idea for a lot of reasons. 

MAC has definitely earned it, would be just fine without adding amy other TEst.

Also, it is a valid concern about Ertz being safety blanket for Wentz.

14 minutes ago, w87r said:

doyle seems like he is making to much for his production on the field last year.  almost 10 million dollars is close to elite Tight end money ebron get 8 million to get 15 touchdowns 800 yards .  pats got hunter hunry for 12 million

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Not really feeling drafting a TE unless it is late.

MAC has definitely earned it, would be just fine without adding amy other TEst.

Also, it is a valid concern about Ertz being safety blanket for Wentz.

I appreciate your thoughts. Can you see us rolling with only 2 TE's though? Some of our packages depend on it, and I would be nervous not having a 3rd for durability sake. 

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah, my list in starting to look like this:

DE - Houston back, Tanoh Kpassagnon, Dunlap

CB - Rhodes, Peterson

WR - Hilton, Samuel

LT - Trent Williams, Villanuava

i would take john brown instead of hilton he would come way cheaper similar skill set and one year younger .

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Yeah I don’t get the John brown lust at all. He’s done literally nothing in the league and is more fragile than even Campbell

I kept thinking he was maybe 27 or 28 then saw his age earlier today. He's accomplished far less than TY, has stayed less healthy, and I've read comments from the Bills fans. I don't see him as an upgrade unless the $$$ situation is far better with Brown.

5 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

I appreciate your thoughts. Can you see us rolling with only 2 TE's though? Some of our packages depend on it, and I would be nervous not having a 3rd for durability sake. 

In this case Burton would probably be comimg back, but we also have 3 or 4 other young TEs on the roster currently.

Definitely not rolling with only 2 TEs.

6 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

doyle seems like he is making to much for his production on the field last year.  almost 10 million dollars is close to elite Tight end money ebron get 8 million to get 15 touchdowns 800 yards .  pats got hunter hunry for 12 million

I agree I think Doyle is getting paid too much to be essentially a role player.

I will say though with some of these TE contracts coming out now, Doyle's $5m+ doesn't seem as bad. Still think its to much though.

3 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i would take john brown instead of hilton he would come way cheaper similar skill set and one year younger .

Brown is a good fall back plan of all other options fall through.

Just now, w87r said:

With how the QB market is playing out, it sure seems as if Eason has a good shot at that backup role this season. Still some vets to play out, but seems to be trending that way in my eyes.

Honestly, I hope this is how it plays out. I prefer Eason as our QB2 over paying someone like Trubisky... Save the $$$ and the roster spot. 

1 minute ago, w87r said:

With how the QB market is playing out, it sure seems as if Eason has a good shot at that backup role this season. Still some vets to play out, but seems to be trending that way in my eyes.

Hope you’re right.   But I do wonder....

Saw a recent story that said Reich likes Philly’s backup Nate Sudfeld.   That he might be a super inexpensive backup, like $1.5 on a one year deal.   I assume that’s only if Eason is judged not to be ready.   

Archived