Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Ebron Quit On The Colts?

CR91

There is no question that he did. Who just puts themselves on IR? He didn't like that he was not getting the attention he did last year and IMO he lost faith on Brissett so instead of the narrative being he had a down year going into contract negotiations he went on IR so that everyone still thought of his 2018 season..

My brother (steeler fan) mentioned them signing Ebron.

I said.. “remember Moncrief’s drops?  Expect more of the same.”

Ebron will win over the locker room and fans with his personality.  It remains to be seen if they get 2018 Ebron or all the other years Ebron.

19 minutes ago, twfish said:

There is no question that he did. Who just puts themselves on IR? He didn't like that he was not getting the attention he did last year and IMO he lost faith on Brissett so instead of the narrative being he had a down year going into contract negotiations he went on IR so that everyone still thought of his 2018 season..

Yes he did that's why im glad he isn't with the colts anymore.

Yes...like (even) Holder says...I think (at best) it was a business decision so he could be healthy for the start FA. I won't fault a guy for that...but still...not sorry to see him go.

Part of me also thinks it was a pretty convenient way to blame his 2019 season on factors (other than himself). That's not to say losing Luck wasn't a big factor...but Ebron did himself no favors.

First, he went public about not being involved in the offense (a big no-no). And then when they tried to placate him with 12 targets against bottom-feeder MIA that week...he took a proverbial dump on the field by only catching 5 of them and dropping at least two...including having a TD that was stolen by a MIA CB.

And then...just two weeks later...he has severe ankle issues pop back up...much to the surprise of the coaching staff...and essentially puts himself on IR to have surgery. 

And that's all we know about...there could have certainly been more going on behind the scenes. Reich did not seem happy about it...and I don't think I have ever heard Ballard be as curt as he was when asked about Ebron. It seems like something happened...we just don't know to what degree...or how long (it might have been going on all season...which is why he wasn't getting involved). 

On a related note...and this is completely unsubstantiated...but I had heard a rumor that he was planning to hold out to get a new deal before last season. I have no idea if that is true...but given how last season transpired...I can't immediately reject the notion.

It was a business decision for him. When we cut a player, are we quitting on them?

I don't care for Ebron, but some of this stuff is just one sided. The playoffs were out of reach, we had a bad QB who never threw to the seam, and his snaps had decreased. Why not get a head start on next season if you know you have to have surgery at some point, you're in a contract year, and you don't know if your coming back anyway. 

Meh... it happens.

Kravitz is getting desperate... old story, old news, and just looking for clicks.

I think fir Ballard to publicly say they’d be moving on from Ebron and nit try to bring him back..,   That tells me they were extremely unhappy with how Ebron handled his business.

Translation:   Ebron quit on the team.

They won’t literally use those words, but the implication is pretty clear and obvious. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

It was a business decision for him. [1] When we cut a player, are we quitting on them?

I don't care for Ebron, but some of this stuff is just one sided. The playoffs were out of reach, we had a bad QB who never threw to the seam, and his snaps had decreased. [2] Why not get a head start on next season if you know you have to have surgery at some point, you're in a contract year, and you don't know if your coming back anyway. 

Meh... it happens.

Kravitz is getting desperate... old story, old news, and just looking for clicks.

I agree with much of what you've said, and I also think it's a matter of perspective.

[1] - When we cut a player, it's usually for the benefit of the team. As football is a team sport, theoretically, those types of moves are made with the team in mind. 

[2] Nothing wrong with that from Ebron's perspective. However, from a team perspective, you could say that he quit on the team for his own benefit.

You also get a sense that the team felt Ebron quit on them from T.Y.'s cryptic tweet to Ballard outright saying Ebron will not be coming back.

4 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I agree with much of what you've said, and I also think it's a matter of perspective.

[1] - When we cut a player, it's usually for the benefit of the team. As football is a team sport, theoretically, those types of moves are made with the team in mind. 

[2] Nothing wrong with that from Ebron's perspective. However, from a team perspective, you could say that he quit on the team for his own benefit.

You also get a sense that the team felt Ebron quit on them from T.Y.'s cryptic tweet to Ballard outright saying Ebron will not be coming back.

It's all a business. The true "team" aspects of it died a long time ago. What remains are people preaching "team" to support their narratives. I love FB, and it's my favorite sport or favorite source of entertainment period, but it's a bunch of guys and owners making bank first and foremost. 

I have zero problem getting rid of Ebron. I just have a problem with the hypocrisy. Paid/individual first, team second...  

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think fir Ballard to publicly say they’d be moving on from Ebron and nit try to bring him back..,   That tells me they were extremely unhappy with how Ebron handled his business.

They won’t literally use those words, but the implication is pretty clear and obvious. 

This is exactly what I believe happened. 

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It's all a business. The true "team" aspects of it died a long time ago. What remains are people preaching "team" to support their narratives. I love FB, and it's my favorite sport or favorite source of entertainment period, but it's a bunch of guys and owners making bank first and foremost. 

I have zero problem getting rid of Ebron. I just have a problem with the hypocrisy. Paid/individual first, team second...  

But this is also true. Releasing Pierre Desir, a locker room leader and the Colts' man of the year, only one year into a 3 year deal when he was injured for most of the year, and played hurt as compared to Ebron....... is ALSO a statement.....that regardless of the locker room culture you say is so important, its still a business, first last and always. 

He did have surgery. Nor sure if it was both ankles though. The big question is if Luck was QB and they were going to the playoffs would he have shut it down? I doubt it. He would of waited for the surgery. I can’t like I guy that quit when they still had a good chance at the playoffs. If we had already been out of the playoff race I would of had no issue with it. 

16 minutes ago, Hoose said:

But this is also true. Releasing Pierre Desir, a locker room leader and the Colts' man of the year, only one year into a 3 year deal when he was injured for most of the year, and played hurt as compared to Ebron....... is ALSO a statement.....that regardless of the locker room culture you say is so important, its still a business, first last and always. 

Yup. I just look at it this way. When teams make shrewd business decisions, they say it's the best thing for the team. When a player makes shrewd business decisions, they say it's selfish. I've never been an Ebron guy, I just have zero problem with him looking out for himself and family.

Luck left the team, got paid doing so, and people freak out when there is criticism. We cut the Colt's GOAT (Manning), and was labeled the best thing for the team (karma reared it's head giving him another SB lol). The team sits on a ton of cap space instead of using it to improve the team, and not many complain... Business.... 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

It was a business decision for him. When we cut a player, are we quitting on them?

I don't care for Ebron, but some of this stuff is just one sided. The playoffs were out of reach, we had a bad QB who never threw to the seam, and his snaps had decreased. Why not get a head start on next season if you know you have to have surgery at some point, you're in a contract year, and you don't know if your coming back anyway. 

Meh... it happens.

I understand your logic with Ebron wanting to get a head start on next season.... however, 

the playoffs were not out of reach when he stopped playing.  He played 11 games and sat out 5.  In week 11 we were 3rd seed in the AFC at 6-4 after Sunday's games.  KC won Monday night which knocked us to the 4th seed, but first in the AFC South.  We lost week 12 to HOU which moved us to 6-5 and them to 7-4, making them the 1 seed in the AFC South and putting us at the 8th seed with this same record as the 6th seed Steelers, 7th seed Raiders, and 9th Titans.  We were still very much in the playoff hunt at that point in time, which is when Ebron shut it down.  I know this is a business, and players want to get paid, take care of themselves, etc... but Ballard and Reich often preach wanting a locker room full of team players and guys who are willing to go into battle with their teammates.  They also want players to be leaders, especially veterans.  Look at a guy like TY who played through obvious pain and was blaming losses on himself for not playing better.  Then look at a guy like Ebron who decided he couldn't go anymore.  Not totally faulting Ebron, but the chemistry Ballard and Reich are trying to build requires guys to be more like TY and much less like Ebron.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a clip of Ballard when asked about Ebron.  There was another presser which I can't find where he elaborated a bit more and not in the exact words 'he quit on the team' pretty much got that point across.

4 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I understand your logic with Ebron wanting to get a head start on next season.... however, 

the playoffs were not out of reach when he stopped playing.  He played 11 games and sat out 5.  In week 11 we were 3rd seed in the AFC at 6-4 after Sunday's games.  KC won Monday night which knocked us to the 4th seed, but first in the AFC South.  We lost week 12 to HOU which moved us to 6-5 and them to 7-4, making them the 1 seed in the AFC South and putting us at the 8th seed with this same record as the 6th seed Steelers, 7th seed Raiders, and 9th Titans.  We were still very much in the playoff hunt at that point in time, which is when Ebron shut it down.  I know this is a business, and players want to get paid, take care of themselves, etc... but Ballard and Reich often preach wanting a locker room full of team players and guys who are willing to go into battle with their teammates.  They also want players to be leaders, especially veterans.  Look at a guy like TY who played through obvious pain and was blaming losses on himself for not playing better.  Then look at a guy like Ebron who decided he couldn't go anymore.  Not totally faulting Ebron, but the chemistry Ballard and Reich are trying to build requires guys to be more like TY and much less like Ebron.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a clip of Ballard when asked about Ebron.  There was another presser which I can't find where he elaborated a bit more and not in the exact words 'he quit on the team' pretty much got that point across.

Even if we did somehow luck into the playoffs, we weren't going far. Like I said, not an Ebron fan, I just can't stomach the hypocrisy. And honestly we don't know the pain he was in, or what his doctors were telling him. We also don't know if the Colts would have resigned him even if he stayed given his obvious snap decrease. At his age, he'll likely get one more shot to start anew, and stick with a team. Not feeling sorry for him, but not going to slam him either. We don't have all the info. He's gone, we're moving on.... And this is old news.... 

31 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Even if we did somehow luck into the playoffs, we weren't going far. Like I said, not an Ebron fan, I just can't stomach the hypocrisy. And honestly we don't know the pain he was in, or what his doctors were telling him. We also don't know if the Colts would have resigned him even if he stayed given his obvious snap decrease. At his age, he'll likely get one more shot to start anew, and stick with a team. Not feeling sorry for him, but not going to slam him either. We don't have all the info. He's gone, we're moving on.... And this is old news.... 

I agree with the bolded.  Nothing we can do about it now.  That said, if we got into the playoffs (honestly, I think we kind of lucked our way out of the playoffs last year by losing several very close winnable games, 3 or 4 of which were on Vinny and the Bucs loss potentially on McLaughlin)... who knows what would've happened?  The Titans got in as a 6 seed and came darn close to making it to the Superbowl -- they did that by running the football, something we were very good at for most of last year.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But there is no proof he actually had surgery. If theres proof where is it? (Found it, disregard point number 1)

TY Hilton says he wont quit like some people.

Dakich asks Ballard if Ebron quit on the team, and Ballard refuses to answer the question. 

And then FR doesnt want to talk about it either. 

Our HC and GM dont shy away from praising good players on and off the field, yet, shy away from answering questions about Ebron? 

It's fine. I dont care. But the dude quit. You can give the benefit of the doubt. That's cool. But in my mind, him not getting numbers in 2019 isnt enough for teams to shy away from signing him. Therefore, he quit because he wasnt the star of the offense any more. 

JMO. 

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

I agree with the bolded.  Nothing we can do about it now.  That said, if we got into the playoffs (honestly, I think we kind of lucked our way out of the playoffs last year by losing several very close winnable games, 3 or 4 of which were on Vinny and the Bucs loss potentially on McLaughlin)... who knows what would've happened?  The Titans got in as a 6 seed and came darn close to making it to the Superbowl -- they did that by running the football, something we were very good at for most of last year.

IMO we did not have the same physical running ability of TN. And TN had balance when they needed to an extent. I know it's a convenient comparison in a few ways, but the teams are very different. Tannehill's effectiveness (QBR, AVG) was far superior to JB's. And Henry averaged almost 200ypg their last 3 wins. They were peaking a bit, and built much better to beat NE and Balt. 

58 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

But there is no proof he actually had surgery. If theres proof where is it? (Found it, disregard point number 1)

TY Hilton says he wont quit like some people.

Dakich asks Ballard if Ebron quit on the team, and Ballard refuses to answer the question. 

And then FR doesnt want to talk about it either. 

Our HC and GM dont shy away from praising good players on and off the field, yet, shy away from answering questions about Ebron? 

It's fine. I dont care. But the dude quit. You can give the benefit of the doubt. That's cool. But in my mind, him not getting numbers in 2019 isnt enough for teams to shy away from signing him. Therefore, he quit because he wasnt the star of the offense any more. 

JMO. 

There is proof. He had several Instagram stories showing his foot in a cast. He probably had tight rope surgery.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'm not disagreeing or arguing because I don't really have a dog in this fight, but it does seem odd that he would have to be out for so long due to pain from an ankle that did not seem to impair his movement much.  Was he ever in a boot or some type of restriction during the weeks leading up to it? 

You know, when someone is on the ground holding an ankle in pain and limping off, that correlates to surgery and IR.  When someone is running patterns then just stops and goes on IR, and kind of tells the FO that's what he's doing, the optics are not good.

Not that he didn't need surgery at all, but did he need it at that point?

That's the way I remember it at least.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm not disagreeing or arguing because I don't really have a dog in this fight, but it does seem odd that he would have to be out for so long due to pain from an ankle that did not seem to impair his movement much.  Was he ever in a boot or some type of restriction during the weeks leading up to it? 

You know, when someone is on the ground holding an ankle in pain and limping off, that correlates to surgery and IR.  When someone is running patterns then just stops and goes on IR, and kind of tells the FO that's what he's doing, the optics are not good.

Not that he didn't need surgery at all, but did he need it at that point?

That's the way I remember it at least.

I've had plenty of ankle injuries, both mild and severe, and have friends who played ball with plenty. Without knowing what he had, what the docs said, and what the repair recommendation and recovery time was, we simply can't judge. We had a QB quit on us at the 11th hour due to emotional distress brought on by an injury that could have been rehabbed......., which put our team in a much worse place than a TE that didn't even get half the snaps. 

5 hours ago, Hoose said:

Absolutely true.  This locker room culture thing is a bit overrated IMO.  This is a business, this is their job.  Like every other job, in most cases, the better you do your job, the more money you make.  These are grown men, making more money playing a game for a few years, than most of us could ever make in a lifetime.  Ebron was run out of Detroit and brought his act to Indy, had a good year with Luck, but when he seen his value drop, he quit.  Injury my ***  TY figured him out, and i'm sure the rest of the team did too.  Ebron=phony.

I wish people would stop bringing this clown up. He indeed quit on the team! Ballard’s moved on, the team has moved on, and he’s moved on. 

The fact that this guy never more than 5 touchdowns in a season until 2018 when Luck resurrected his dead career tells you everything you need to know about Ebron. He will catch the hard passes but drop the easy ones. 

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IMO we did not have the same physical running ability of TN. And TN had balance when they needed to an extent. I know it's a convenient comparison in a few ways, but the teams are very different. Tannehill's effectiveness (QBR, AVG) was far superior to JB's. And Henry averaged almost 200ypg their last 3 wins. They were peaking a bit, and built much better to beat NE and Balt. 

Henry was an absolute beast late last year and into the playoffs. No doubt about that.  The reason I replied to you initially is because you said  when Ebron went to IR that we were out of the playoff hunt, which we weren't, we were right there.  It isn't uncommon in the NFL (or any sport) for teams to peak late in the season and also not really uncommon for teams who didn't have the best regular season to get hot late and go on runs in the post-season.  I'm not disagreeing with you that it's also fair for players to be looking out for themselves in the cutthroat world of professional sports, nor am I disagreeing that we don't know the true severity of Ebron's injury.  However, it does appear as though Ballard and others (TY seemingly one of them according to previous posts) thinking Ebron gave up on the team.  As a veteran player on a very young team, and a guy coming off a pro-bowl and seemingly touted as a leader, if Ebron did in fact 'quit on the team' that's not the leadership Ballard or Reich (or probably TY and other vets) want around this organization.  In week 12, when we were literally right in the playoff mix, there is no way to know if we could have started peaking had we made it through the playoffs.  You alluded to the fact that Ebron hung it up because we were out of the playoff hunt, which is simply false.  We had several games throughout the season where our OL just dominated the other DL and we were able to run at will (the win over Buffalo when we had 220ish yards on the ground against a top 10 D and the win against Jax when we had >260 yards on the ground are two that come to mind off the top of my head).  There's no way of knowing if we could have made a splash *had* we made it into the playoffs, but if Ebron thought that in week 12 (when we were very much in the playoff race) that the team couldn't make a run in the playoffs after we already beat the eventual SB champion Chiefs.... and if that's the reason he stopped playing - that is a chicken * move and not really fair to the rest of his teammates who were going out and laying it on the line thru injuries every week.

Archived