Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Ebron Quit On The Colts?

CR91

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I've had plenty of ankle injuries, both mild and severe, and have friends who played ball with plenty. Without knowing what he had, what the docs said, and what the repair recommendation and recovery time was, we simply can't judge. We had a QB quit on us at the 11th hour due to emotional distress brought on by an injury that could have been rehabbed......., which put our team in a much worse place than a TE that didn't even get half the snaps. 

Understood, actual facts are lacking.  To me with all of the chatter about him, and lack of defense from CB, and what I saw with my own eyes on the field; it seems like there would have to be a confluence of rare exceptions coinciding at once to think that his departure from team activity mid season wasn't personality driven.

8 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Henry was an absolute beast late last year and into the playoffs. No doubt about that.  The reason I replied to you initially is because you said  when Ebron went to IR that we were out of the playoff hunt, which we weren't, we were right there.  It isn't uncommon in the NFL (or any sport) for teams to peak late in the season and also not really uncommon for teams who didn't have the best regular season to get hot late and go on runs in the post-season.  I'm not disagreeing with you that it's also fair for players to be looking out for themselves in the cutthroat world of professional sports, nor am I disagreeing that we don't know the true severity of Ebron's injury.  However, it does appear as though Ballard and others (TY seemingly one of them according to previous posts) thinking Ebron gave up on the team.  As a veteran player on a very young team, and a guy coming off a pro-bowl and seemingly touted as a leader, if Ebron did in fact 'quit on the team' that's not the leadership Ballard or Reich (or probably TY and other vets) want around this organization.  In week 12, when we were literally right in the playoff mix, there is no way to know if we could have started peaking had we made it through the playoffs.  You alluded to the fact that Ebron hung it up because we were out of the playoff hunt, which is simply false.  We had several games throughout the season where our OL just dominated the other DL and we were able to run at will (the win over Buffalo when we had 220ish yards on the ground against a top 10 D and the win against Jax when we had >260 yards on the ground are two that come to mind off the top of my head).  There's no way of knowing if we could have made a splash *had* we made it into the playoffs, but if Ebron thought that in week 12 (when we were very much in the playoff race) that the team couldn't make a run in the playoffs after we already beat the eventual SB champion Chiefs.... and if that's the reason he stopped playing - that is a chicken * move and not really fair to the rest of his teammates who were going out and laying it on the line thru injuries every week.

We were not officially out but after JB turned in his 4th sub 40 QBR game vs Houston (who had one of the worst pass Ds in the league), I pretty much forgot about the playoffs. At best, even if we did stumble in, we were't going far. The "anything can happen" stuff to me is silly looking at how our O, specifically our passing game, was playing. Teams had adjusted to us, and it was just a lost cause even with a pretty mediocre to average schedule.

Don't get me wrong, I held out a little hope going into the TN game, but we got destroyed (Ebron wasn't making a difference). I had already chalked up a loss to NO, and didn't see the playoffs as a realistic outcome given the remaining schedule of the teams in the hunt. Even had we won all the games (except TN and NO), I don't think we would have been in. And while Ebron might have made a difference in the TB game, we still got destroyed by Jax to end the season. 

As far as Ballard's demeanor. I don't think Ebron really cared given his decreased role. To Ebron, he probably felt the team was giving up on him. And again, we simply don't know what the medical situation truly was, so that supersedes just about everything. And what I funniest of all, is Luck quits, but since he's likable and has "feelings", nobody cares. I bet Ballard felt differently about Luck than what he portrayed outwardly. 

Anyway, old news. Not sure why we even have yet another thread on this to debate it all over again. He gone.  

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Understood, actual facts are lacking.  To me with all of the chatter about him, and lack of defense from CB, and what I saw with my own eyes on the field; it seems like there would have to be a confluence of rare exceptions coinciding at once to think that his departure from team activity mid season wasn't personality driven.

Yup, I'm sure there was a little bit of everything lol. Medical, personality, feelings, mathematics (decreased snap counts), contract year, etc.. Sometimes things just don't work out. Not a huge loss except for his RZ productivity. 

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Exactly...he had a huge fall from grace. I bet the situation went really south after he went to the media to complain about his involvement...and then had that terrible game against MIA.   

This is pure speculation but if Ebron wanted an extension and wasn’t given one then watched his role drop bc of QB play while playing hurt...can you blame him for having surgery and getting better?  These players are employees and the teams are companies...both are entitled to do what’s best for them.  No one blinks when a team cuts a player for underperforming but if a player quits bc the team that doesn’t want him sucks...he is all of a sudden a bad guy?  Kind of a double standard. 

23 hours ago, twfish said:

There is no question that he did. Who just puts themselves on IR? He didn't like that he was not getting the attention he did last year and IMO he lost faith on Brissett so instead of the narrative being he had a down year going into contract negotiations he went on IR so that everyone still thought of his 2018 season..

Did not like what he did but it is a business 

On 3/25/2020 at 3:39 PM, EastStreet said:

It was a business decision for him. When we cut a player, are we quitting on them?

I don't care for Ebron, but some of this stuff is just one sided. The playoffs were out of reach, we had a bad QB who never threw to the seam, and his snaps had decreased. Why not get a head start on next season if you know you have to have surgery at some point, you're in a contract year, and you don't know if your coming back anyway. 

Meh... it happens.

Kravitz is getting desperate... old story, old news, and just looking for clicks.

Generally agree with you EastStreet but not on this one. Said the day he went on his self assigned IR that he quit on the team and I have never wavered. Maybe had a bad QB and maybe his snaps decreased. Maybe he wanted to get a head start on next year but he had a contract that was suppose to go to the end of the 2019 season. The playoffs were not totally out of the picture either. Did not play out his contract or offer to forfeit his salary for the games he desided to pass on. He quit on the team. Good riddens!!!good riddance.

I think it has to do with mutiple thing for him. One being Andrew luck no longer playing which reguvinated his career in Indy. Then JB playing like crap and having no idea that there were TE on his teams and on top of that some of the close games either because of the defense of JB doing something stupid of AV missing a kicks. I too would get tired and then people on the team thinking to themselves that they are a playoff team....pffh that died once we lost of Miami because of Frank not starting JB and putting in crappy hoyer.

13 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Generally agree with you EastStreet but not on this one. Said the day he went on his self assigned IR that he quit on the team and I have never wavered. Maybe had a bad QB and maybe his snaps decreased. Maybe he wanted to get a head start on next year but he had a contract that was suppose to go to the end of the 2019 season. The playoffs were not totally out of the picture either. Did not play out his contract or offer to forfeit his salary for the games he desided to pass on. He quit on the team. Good riddens!!!good riddance.

Do you feel the same about Luck?

Like I said, I'm not fan of Ebron. It's a business, so I try not to take it personally. Moving on... 

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Do you feel the same about Luck?

Like I said, I'm not fan of Ebron. It's a business, so I try not to take it personally. Moving on... 

The question is did Ebron quit on us. Has nothing to do with Luck. Totally different cases. Luck quit prior to season, not in the the middle. Plus Luck got his * kicked for several year. Luck aside, Ebron quit!

31 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

The question is did Ebron quit on us. Has nothing to do with Luck. Totally different cases. Luck quit prior to season, not in the the middle. Plus Luck got his * kicked for several year. Luck aside, Ebron quit!

We can agree to disagree. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I actually feel more disappointed by Luck's leaving like he did, than Ebron's. I didn't really care about Ebron to begin with, so perhaps that's a factor if I'm being honest.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Don't really give 2 ish about Ebron.

Luck stuck a dagger in my(our) back.

He quit. I get the whole it’s a business decision argument, but I also think that mindset robs us, the fans, who pay our hard earned money to watch a quality product both on tv and at games. Our money feeds the NFL, through ticket sales, merchandise, ads, endorsements, etc. We fund all of that. Many of us don’t get the option at work to just give  up or work less (well most places) and still get paid or stay employed. We’re expected to perform at our highest level and be efficient. Just my opinion.

Didnt see this posted, but here’s his retort to Kravitz...funny I never really saw him gimping around but maybe I wasn’t paying attention?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-new-tight-end-eric-ebron-denies-quitting-on-the-colts-says-indianapolis-wanted-him-to-play-hurt/amp/

• 5 months later...

So now this finally comes to light - Ebron got himself benched in the Steeler's game last season. Then he childishly melted down from there with the ankles excuse and going on IR.

This is how I think it went down:

Ebron: "Hey coach, I need more targets."

Coach: "Stop dropping the ones you do get and learn to block." 

Ebron: "Are you @!#$ serious man? Go to @!#!!"

Coach: *rolls eyes*

18 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

So now this finally comes to light - Ebron got himself benched in the Steeler's game last season. Then he childishly melted down from there with the ankles excuse and going on IR.

This is how I think it went down:

Ebron: "Hey coach, I need more targets."

Coach: "Stop dropping the ones you do get and learn to block." 

Ebron: "Are you @!#$ serious man? Go to @!#!!"

Coach: *rolls eyes*

I really don't give 2 sheets about Ebron, but it's still all speculation. We don't know what the argument was.

But as I've said before, going from a guy who was our primary red zone target, to only getting 3 targets inside the 10 in 11 games in 2019 is pretty WTH, especially given our problems on O. And aside from his 3 drops in the Oakland game, he was pretty good (0 drops in the Pitt game and 3 games leading up to it) afterwards. 

IMO, the writing was on the wall in terms of him not being extended. I don't blame him for going and getting his body taken care of if he knows he's not coming back. It's business.

At Pitt so far, he's got 4 catches for 61 yards, and 3 of those are for 1st downs. He's also had 2 drops.

40 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IMO, the writing was on the wall in terms of him not being extended. I don't blame him for going and getting his body taken care of if he knows he's not coming back. It's business.

Correct, it's all just speculation. Yours, mine, others. Bottom line is he quit on the team during the season with a mysteriously brand new ailment immediately after getting benched for being a * to the coaches after developing stone hands and getting very few RZ chances from JB/scheme/whatever.

You like to repeatedly spin the conversation towards your speculative opinion that he deserves a pass for that behavior because he's just a pro making a smart business decision. Meanwhile, I'll continue to point to his mercurial attitude and willingness to quit on his team during the season as the key factors that sway my speculative opinion. 

For me, it's case closed.

3 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Correct, it's all just speculation. Yours, mine, others. Bottom line is he quit on the team during the season with a mysteriously brand new ailment immediately after getting benched for being a * to the coaches after developing stone hands and getting very few RZ chances from JB/scheme/whatever.

You like to repeatedly spin the conversation towards your speculative opinion that he deserves a pass for that behavior because he's just a pro making a smart business decision. Meanwhile, I'll continue to point to his mercurial attitude and willingness to quit on his team during the season as the key factors that sway my speculative opinion. 

For me, it's case closed.

It wasn't mysterious. He had issues with his ankles and was getting shots for weeks prior. The FO just figured he'd play through it, but it was known he'd need a procedure or procedures after the season. That's not speculation because Ballard talked about it. 

And again, he didn't develop stone cold hands anywhere near the Pitt game. He didn't drop the ball in the Pitt game, nor 3 previous. Those are easily available stats.

I'm not spinning anything. I don't care for him as a player or person. I do not however have a problem for him taking care of his body for the next year, as his body is his primary asset and means of making money.

Fans seem to think players owe it to teams to play through injury. Some players do, some players don't. My expectations, and your expectations on the topic don't matter either. But the reality of it is, if you're a player, and under contract for the next few years, you're probably more inclined to play through injury. If you're not under contract, and especially if you don't think you're going to be resigned, you're probably inclined not to. Again, it's a business. 

Kevin Bowen talked in a podcast last year how Luck in 2018 even went to coaches to complain about his work ethic. All of this happened after he said he had a big talk with coaches about wanting the ball. Reich forcing the ball to him in the Miami game trying to appease him. There is no speculation. He quit after a fall out with the coaches. That ankle could of waited until after the season.

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It wasn't mysterious. He had issues with his ankles and was getting shots for weeks prior. The FO just figured he'd play through it, but it was known he'd need a procedure or procedures after the season. That's not speculation because Ballard talked about it. 

Incorrect.

The FO was very surprised. I choose to believe this front office WAY before I'll believe a disgruntled ex-Colt.

“It didn’t limit him in training camp, it didn’t limit him in the season or in practice,” Reich told the media in late November. “Then, last week sometime, I don’t know if it flared up at practice or if it was the result of a previous game, but that was the first time that it had flared up to the point where it affected him as far as practice.”

The shots thing is EE's camp trying to spin things after the fact. I'm not buying their spin.

Yes, he missed one practice all season long with an ankle issue. On a team that is demonstrably conservative about resting veterans with aches and pains during practices.

46 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Incorrect.

The FO was very surprised. I choose to believe this front office WAY before I'll believe a disgruntled ex-Colt.

“It didn’t limit him in training camp, it didn’t limit him in the season or in practice,” Reich told the media in late November. “Then, last week sometime, I don’t know if it flared up at practice or if it was the result of a previous game, but that was the first time that it had flared up to the point where it affected him as far as practice.”

The shots thing is EE's camp trying to spin things after the fact. I'm not buying their spin.

Yes, he missed one practice all season long with an ankle issue. On a team that is demonstrably conservative about resting veterans with aches and pains during practices.

It's not incorrect. Everyone knew about the injury. The only surprise was that he pulled the plug.

5 hours ago, Nickster said:

He couldn’t make any money with a bush league QB.  I think this is basically it and I don’t blame him a bit.

Agreed.  He came to the Colts to play with Luck, make a lot of stats, win a lot of games, and make a lot of money.  When Luck quit, and he had to play with Brissett, none of those things were going to happen anymore, and he knew it.  The light just went out of his eyes, and he didn't really care to be here anymore.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Agreed.  He came to the Colts to play with Luck, make a lot of stats, win a lot of games, and make a lot of money.  When Luck quit, and he had to play with Brissett, none of those things were going to happen anymore, and he knew it.  The light just went out of his eyes, and he didn't really care to be here anymore.

I didn't realize you knew him so well. 

Archived