Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ebron to Steelers

Indyfan4life

Not a bad contract ....... if he catches the ball and keeps his mouth shut.

I can see him having a big 1st year and then disappearing in the 2nd.

It would have been nice to have his talent back.  I just dont like some if the other stuff he brings.  After he quit on the team, i dont know how we could have brought him back.

• Superman changed the title to Ebron to Steelers
1 minute ago, joecolts said:

I've got to admit, I'm disappointed in how Ebron's time here concluded.  His first year, he was the consummate "team" player (when the ball was coming to him).  We saw the real Ebron the 2nd year.  The Ebron Detroit didn't want.  

I'm perfectly fine with calling him selfish, but I can certainly understand and appreciate some things he must have been feeling. 1) he had a QB that simply wasn't that good. 2) he had a QB that hated to throw deep and to the seam where he thrived. 3) his snaps decreased due to running it more and prioritizing Doyle's blocking...

Given all the above, his value tanked by no fault of his own, and it happened after a year where his value was probably at an all time high. It is a business, and I can understand him being unhappy to see his stock rise in 2018, and fall drastically in 2019. And because it is a business, why not get his ankle cared for earlier than later to make him more ready for 2020. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm perfectly fine with calling him selfish, but I can certainly understand and appreciate some things he must have been feeling. 1) he had a QB that simply wasn't that good. 2) he had a QB that hated to throw deep and to the seam where he thrived. 3) his snaps decreased due to running it more and prioritizing Doyle's blocking...

Given all the above, his value tanked by no fault of his own, and it happened after a year where his value was probably at an all time high. It is a business, and I can understand him being unhappy to see his stock rise in 2018, and fall drastically in 2019. And because it is a business, why not get his ankle cared for earlier than later to make him more ready for 2020. 

I can certainly agree with the bolded part.  In one year he went from getting a big time top 10 contract to a small time deal through no fault of his own.  

Happens a lot in the NFL but it sucks if it's you.  

12 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I can certainly agree with the bolded part.  In one year he went from getting a big time top 10 contract to a small time deal through no fault of his own.  

Happens a lot in the NFL but it sucks if it's you.  

Yup. I understand folks don't like his body drops, and think he should shut up and be happy lol, but it's a business. He's an incredible threat in the RZ and seam. And teams cut people all the time to further their interest, so I really don't have a problem with Ebron having a conversation with Reich about snaps, or getting surgery earlier given the season was lost anyway. 

15 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Oh I understand. It’s just annoying to see people act like he dropped everything. 

From the 2018 season:

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/07/ex-lion-update-eric-ebron-having-a-fascinating-and-frustrating-season-for-colts/

"He also leads all tight ends in dro"pped passes, with five. His 5 drops on 62 total targets give Ebron a drop rate of 8 percent, just under double the league average. Ebron dropped 8 passes in 86 targets in Detroit in 2017."

From last season:

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/disgruntledericebrondropsproverbialball

"Ebron has been targeted 31 times and has four drops, and that latter assessment is generous. An argument could be made that he’s had two or three more."

"If I’m general manager Chris Ballard, Ebron making his grievance public is enough reason to let the tight end sign elsewhere after this season. "

He's a chronic pass dropper with an obvious me-first attitude, 'nuff said.

1 minute ago, Dogg63 said:

From the 2018 season:

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/07/ex-lion-update-eric-ebron-having-a-fascinating-and-frustrating-season-for-colts/

"He also leads all tight ends in dro"pped passes, with five. His 5 drops on 62 total targets give Ebron a drop rate of 8 percent, just under double the league average. Ebron dropped 8 passes in 86 targets in Detroit in 2017."

From last season:

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/disgruntledericebrondropsproverbialball

"Ebron has been targeted 31 times and has four drops, and that latter assessment is generous. An argument could be made that he’s had two or three more."

"If I’m general manager Chris Ballard, Ebron making his grievance public is enough reason to let the tight end sign elsewhere after this season. "

He's a chronic pass dropper with an obvious me-first attitude, 'nuff said.

Nobody was saying that when he caught 13 touchdowns. 

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. I understand folks don't like his body drops, and think he should shut up and be happy lol, but it's a business. He's an incredible threat in the RZ and seam. And teams cut people all the time to further their interest, so I really don't have a problem with Ebron having a conversation with Reich about snaps, or getting surgery earlier given the season was lost anyway. 

I don’t have a problem with it...that’s his prerogative...but I also became indifferent at that point. There were also rumors he was going to hold out to get a huge new deal...I am just glad Ballard didn’t give him one.

Ultimately, I think Reich (scheming wide open seam and corner routes) and Luck (being Luck) played a huge role in Ebron’s 2018 season. They played a huge role in changing the trajectory of his career...and he’s still able to trade in on it. We will see how he does in PIT. 

17 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I don’t have a problem with it...that’s his prerogative...but I also became indifferent at that point. There were also rumors he was going to hold out to get a huge new deal...I am just glad Ballard didn’t give him one.

Ultimately, I think Reich (scheming wide open seam and corner routes) and Luck (being Luck) played a huge role in Ebron’s 2018 season. They played a huge role in changing the trajectory of his career...and he’s still able to trade in on it. We will see how he does in PIT. 

I've laid out the stats before for Ebron's 2017 vs 2018 season in terms of how he was used (where, when, and how much). Indy/Reich basically increased his RZ targets by a ton over his Detroit days. His routes were significantly different too looking as his pass charts. So sure, we schemed him open, and the QB threw passes to him, but that's their jobs lol... And Ebron did his job by catching it.

Last year, the situation just sucked for everyone. Honestly if I were him, contract year, knew I needed surgery, knew a SB was a pipe dream, reduced snaps, QB that wouldn't throw to the seam, etc. I would have done everything possible to put to myself into the best position and be attractive to teams for the 2020 season. It's a team sport, but it's a business. Teams look out for themselves, and players should too. 

I am not sure if he did it more then anybody else or it just stood out to me but I hated watching him call for a pass interference flag after every single drop.  I know everyone does it nowadays but I felt like he did it more.  I think the league should  just make a rule that the PI flag gets picked up if you are asking for it, drives me nuts.

Archived