Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free agency and the Draft can't get here fast enough!

indyagent17

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

March 18th is the open of FA and the draft is April 23-25.

I am really anxious to see what free agents Ballard signs, Who will be the big one he chooses. (Chris Jones please)

Actually, they have to choose us.
KC will have no trouble keeping Jones. So...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Actually, they have to choose us.
KC will have no trouble keeping Jones. So...

Agreed.  It’s a two way street unless just outright overpaying.  Winning/strong team performance helps folks choose you, city/location helps, etc.  

It’s not a challenging offseason this year for the Colts.  The future is murky and could go anywhere in the near future (off the rails collapse, current state of mediocrity, or a rise back to relevance).   Tough to predict where the chips will land, but think Ballard is gonna work hard and try navigate through the current challenges.  Luck kind of screwed him/Colts over hard in a lot of ways, and now they are left holding the pieces.  Not an envious spot (other than the insanely high salary).

• Like 1

I wouldn't hold our breath on a FA, that's not ballards way of doing things. Sure big spending on free agents makes for an exciting off season but look how big of a hole it put this team in after Grigs. It takes time away from developing drafted guys and kills salary cap. 

I'm actually ok with a football break for now. Don't really need more Hall of Famer Mahomes talk.

Don't really care where Brady may go either.. Lol

Wake me up when we're on the clock to draft. Free agency will probably see us on the sidelines while teams pay the first wave guys double their worth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I am really anxious to see what free agents Ballard signs, Who will be the big one he chooses. (Chris Jones please)

Heard through the grapevine that the Colts were going to make a hard push for Clowney if he hits FA. If we are are able to secure Clowney and draft Kinlaw boy does our Pass rush VASTLY improve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

The Draft is my favorite time of the year sports wise 

Same here. Of course, when Ballard is the GM, that comes with the territory. One of my family members is a Jets fan, and she is finally looking forward to the draft now that they have Joe Douglas as the GM. As long as Ballard can continue to get us good players, the draft will be a good time for the Colts.

• Like 1

I’m not sure what they should do draft and Qb sign rivers have qb sit a year develop etc... I just don’t know but what I do know is jacoby is not it , same guy since his draft evaluation scared to go deep and when he does rarely it’s and over throw 

9 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Heard through the grapevine that the Colts were going to make a hard push for Clowney if he hits FA. If we are are able to secure Clowney and draft Kinlaw boy does our Pass rush VASTLY improve.

Can't lie I've always thought Clowney was an * of sorts, but he definitely brings it when he plays and I've learned to like him and respect him more and more.

Would definitely be excited if we somehow got him.

And it would look great if we went the route you stated on the Dline. Almost instant improvement.

The interesting thing about this FA is that 3 good QB's right now still have not signed with their teams and could be free agents.

Remember the craziness when Manning was an FA.  Now you have Brady, Brees, and Rivers all at the same time.  (To be fair there are some indications that Brees will either re-sign with the Saints or retire.  But Brady and Rivers appear ready to move on.  

23 minutes ago, Myles said:

Todd McShay on ESPN had his mock draft.   He has the Colts taking Herbert at #13.

So us fans who don't care for Brissett are not the only ones that think he is not the QB of the future for the Colts.  

Todd McShay? Who the heck is Todd McShay? There is only 1 true ESPN Draft expert and that's Mel Kiper Jr! Who right now has the Colts taking Jerry Jeudy WR Alabama at #13. McShay? Really? Haha. Just teasing.

21 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Todd McShay? Who the heck is Todd McShay? There is only 1 true ESPN Draft expert and that's Mel Kiper Jr! Who right now has the Colts taking Jerry Jeudy WR Alabama at #13. McShay? Really? Haha. Just teasing.

I don't really take any of them too seriously.   The McShay guy had Jeudy going to the Raiders at 12.   

5 hours ago, IinD said:

Can't lie I've always thought Clowney was an * of sorts, but he definitely brings it when he plays and I've learned to like him and respect him more and more.

Would definitely be excited if we somehow got him.

And it would look great if we went the route you stated on the Dline. Almost instant improvement.

I think Clowney got away with being able to be lazy in college because he is so physically gifted.  My impression of him is that he came into the league and was a bit lazy/immature and thought he could be a 'man amongst boys' as  he pretty much was in college.

He seems to have improved his work ethic and maturity over the course of his career, though.  I could be wrong, but that's my impression of him.  I'd be happy to see him land in Indy.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think Clowney got away with being able to be lazy in college because he is so physically gifted.  My impression of him is that he came into the league and was a bit lazy/immature and thought he could be a 'man amongst boys' as  he pretty much was in college.

He seems to have improved his work ethic and maturity over the course of his career, though.  I could be wrong, but that's my impression of him.  I'd be happy to see him land in Indy.

Definitely agree 100%.

He's definitely grown on me, I hated his whole demeanor when he came into the league, but the guy busts his butt out there every play when watching him.

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

Definitely agree 100%.

He's definitely grown on me, I hated his whole demeanor when he came into the league, but the guy busts his butt out there every play when watching him.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap2000000327906/article/mayock-jadeveon-clowney-work-ethic-concerns-are-legit

To his credit, I imagine it was very difficult to have a great work ethic in college due to his natural ability.  I think he's gotten humbled in the NFL, perhaps in part due to JJ Watt being a teammate of his early in his career and helping show him what it takes to be an NFL player when you're playing with a bunch of other freaks of nature.

Look at Clowney's combine numbers, he was 6'5", 266 lbs, ran a 4.53 forty, had a 37.5 vertical, a 124 inch broad jump, 34.5 inch arms with an 83 inch wingspan and 10 inch hands.  With physical traits like that, it's not too hard to get by just by showing up to games in college.

On 2/3/2020 at 1:58 PM, indyagent17 said:

Ballard has not had a history of signing elite young high dollar talent , could that be the reason we have a team filled with a lot of just average talent, draft picks are a crap shoot, with ballards system of filling the roster with draft picks and cheap free agents we are going downhill in our division

• Like 1

I don’t see the Rivers, Brees, Brady logic.  Why would any of them want to come here?  On a 1 year deal to groom a young guy?  
  More and more, Jacoby, “someone else”, Kelly, and draftee makes the most sense for training camp.

The”someone else” is the difficult part.  Any QB of merit wont want the gig.  Why would they?  Unless we let JB go.  Then its slightly more attractive.  But it still Appears they would be grooming a young guy to be the future.

Or maybe Ballardsees Carr, Teddy B, etc as the future.  I dont.  If we’re changing QBs, rip the bandaid off.  A 1 year “QB re-shuffle” is fine, we dont need to make it a “thing.”

So many ways we could go.

Very exciting.

5 hours ago, smittywerb said:

I really hope we throw money at AJ Green.

Why would you want AJ Green? He will be 32 by the time the season starts. He played 9 games in 2018, and 0 games in 2019. Throwing money at Green would be throwing money away. No way Ballard goes this route.

On 2/10/2020 at 5:42 AM, WoolMagnet said:

I don’t see the Rivers, Brees, Brady logic.  Why would any of them want to come here?  On a 1 year deal to groom a young guy?  
  More and more, Jacoby, “someone else”, Kelly, and draftee makes the most sense for training camp.

The”someone else” is the difficult part.  Any QB of merit wont want the gig.  Why would they?  Unless we let JB go.  Then its slightly more attractive.  But it still Appears they would be grooming a young guy to be the future.

Or maybe Ballardsees Carr, Teddy B, etc as the future.  I dont.  If we’re changing QBs, rip the bandaid off.  A 1 year “QB re-shuffle” is fine, we dont need to make it a “thing.”

So many ways we could go.

Very exciting.

if they come here they are starting over Jacoby. 2-3 year contract if its one of those guys 

3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

if they come here they are starting over Jacoby. 2-3 year contract if its one of those guys 

I wouldnt want any of them in a pricey 2 or 3 year contract.  Unless Ballard plans on waiting a year to draft a QB.  Draft one early at least.  
  At their age, learning a new system and players.  I see 2 or 3 wasted years better spent finding the future.  I just see more negatives from a 40 year old QB than positives.  Even if those names are pretty big ones.

League wide this is probably the most interesting offseason since the lockout. You have 3 marquee QBs all hitting FA (Brady, Brees, and Rivers). Several prominent coaching changes (Dallas and Carolina) with coaches who had been with the team for a decade. 3 different teams have more than one draft pick in the 1st round. Several other playoff QB’s might be on the move with Dalton, Cam, and Bridgewater. Several teams in the top 15 need QBs.

I can’t wait for FA and the draft in general because it should be absolutely wild.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I wouldnt want any of them in a pricey 2 or 3 year contract.  Unless Ballard plans on waiting a year to draft a QB.  Draft one early at least.  
  At their age, learning a new system and players.  I see 2 or 3 wasted years better spent finding the future.  I just see more negatives from a 40 year old QB than positives. 

I think the 2 wasted years would be from sticking with Brissett and drafting a QB to learn behind him.   A bridge that may avoid the "wasted" years could be signing an old vet.  

We never know what the future holds.   I want them to improve for the 2020 season as they groom the future QB.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I think the 2 wasted years would be from sticking with Brissett and drafting a QB to learn behind him.   A bridge that may avoid the "wasted" years could be signing an old vet.  

We never know what the future holds.   I want them to improve for the 2020 season as they groom the future QB.  

I was assuming that a rookie QB would only sit the 1st year.... at most.  

47 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I can see it now. Ballard  signs some middle  grade free agent  with measurables we have to google lol.

Then I can imagine  the uproar when Ballard  doesn't  pick Love, Brown, kinlaw or one of the top wrs and trades back for more picks

Haha right? That's exactly what I'm expecting. If it's any other scenario I'll be shocked.