Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts DL coach Mike Phair leaving Colts for Panthers

1959Colts

DL coach Mike Phair leaving Colts for Panthers

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/13/dl-coach-mike-phair-leaving-colts-for-panthers/

Panthers head coach Matt Rhule has added another piece to his initial coaching staff in Carolina.

According to multiple reports, defensive line coach Mike Phair is leaving the Colts to join up with Rhule and the Panthers...

I think we need a change at LB coach anyway. There were some glaring problems last year like lack of covering over the middle or bubble screens. Health issues played a part but a new voice might get better fundamental play. Hoping at least. This draft is going to be very exciting too

57 minutes ago, IinD said:

Guy definitely got a raw deal, but unfortunately that's how the NFL is, you're expected to make chicken salad out of chicken %.

Raw deal?  Huh?

The Colts didn’t fire him.  He got an offer fir the same job but to work fir an old friend and we said, yes...  go...

Where is the raw deal?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Raw deal?  Huh?

The Colts didn’t fire him.  He got an offer fir the same job but to work fir an old friend and we said, yes...  go...

Where is the raw deal?

The Colts actually did the upstanding thing by him, (and Eberflus and DeGuglielmo, while we're at it). 

If he was done wrongly by anyone, it's McDaniels.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Raw deal?  Huh?

Where is the raw deal?

Player wise. Wasnt talking about the front office. I meant he didn't have much to work with if he was a good coach.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I think we need a change at LB coach anyway. There were some glaring problems last year like lack of covering over the middle or bubble screens. Health issues played a part but a new voice might get better fundamental play. Hoping at least. This draft is going to be very exciting too

Phair was a DL coach not a LB coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Phair is considered one of the better DL coaches in the NFL. Too bad he didn't have a dominant/penetrating IDL this year or he'd have an even better reputation. This move is good for him, bad for Colts, unless they can find a very talented replacement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coltsva said:

Is this a Robert Mathis suggestion?

Mathis left the colts to pursuit his own business because he wanted to work with more then just colt players. Not sure he'd want give that up. He's an outside advisor now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Phair is considered one of the better DL coaches in the NFL. Too bad he didn't have a dominant/penetrating IDL this year or he'd have an even better reputation. This move is good for him, bad for Colts, unless they can find a very talented replacement.

Eh, so awesome his longest tenure anywhere is maybe three years, and that was one time...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

First I heard he was one of the best. Curios where you got this info?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

First I heard he was one of the best. Curios where you got this info?

One of the better, not best.

This article discusses what he did well for Indy and calls it 'a big loss' for us.

This one discusses him as 'one of the better position coaches' in football.

11 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Eh, so awesome his longest tenure anywhere is maybe three years, and that was one time...

I agree, he sure bounces around a lot. Makes me wonder too. But again, I said better not awesome. =)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IinD said:

Player wise. Wasnt talking about the front office. I meant he didn't have much to work with if he was a good coach.

I think our DL gets a bit more abuse than it actually deserves.  They weren't the strongest group physically, but they did their jobs against some solid OLs.  The only game I can think of that I could have really wished for more was against Pittsburgh, and the Pittsburgh OL is very, very good because it was built for Roethlisberger.

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

Eberflus the lone McDanials hire left but dont see him going anywhere for a bit, though Ive been wrong before.

Heck, I think you're wrong here.

If I recollect correctly, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Eberflus was a CB hire, not McDaniels.

21 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

We’ve been low key solid against the run. Hopefully this doesn’t hurt us there.

This is what I wondered as well. We were top 10 both years vs the run, if I am not mistaken in run D. It is also the reason why he was possibly considered, mainly because the Panthers were bottom of the league in run D. The problem was our DC wouldn't blitz enough and we didn't have pass rushing DTs to beat 1-on-1s to get to the QB, not Mike Phair's fault. Our secondary wasn't that great either to hold the back end for long.

I think this will hurt more than we realize.

1 hour ago, buccolts said:

Heck, I think you're wrong here.

If I recollect correctly, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Eberflus was a CB hire, not McDaniels.

Per this article, he was a McDaniels hire. From that article:

2. Eberflus’ hiring in Indianapolis is a unique story. Eberflus was picked to be defensive coordinator by Josh McDaniels, who committed to become head coach but ultimately decided to return to New England. The Colts opted to keep Eberflus and two other assistants -- offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo and defensive line coach Mike Phair -- while searching for a new head coach. Frank Reich was tabbed as the head man a few days later, and one of the first things on his to-do list was to get acquainted with his new defensive coordinator. “It really couldn’t have worked out any better,” Reich said recently. “I know it’s crazy. It’s really an odd way for it to come together, but it literally couldn’t have come together any better.’’

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Per this article, he was a McDaniels hire. From that article:

2. Eberflus’ hiring in Indianapolis is a unique story. Eberflus was picked to be defensive coordinator by Josh McDaniels, who committed to become head coach but ultimately decided to return to New England. The Colts opted to keep Eberflus and two other assistants -- offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo and defensive line coach Mike Phair -- while searching for a new head coach. Frank Reich was tabbed as the head man a few days later, and one of the first things on his to-do list was to get acquainted with his new defensive coordinator. “It really couldn’t have worked out any better,” Reich said recently. “I know it’s crazy. It’s really an odd way for it to come together, but it literally couldn’t have come together any better.’’

Thanks. Then it appears I was mistaken.

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He was signed on to be Mcdaniels DC.

Yes, but that wasn't the point.

The point was that at least one of those coaches signed prior to McD's decision was the choice of CB, and not McD. I thought it was Eberflus, but I guess I was mistaken.

On 1/13/2020 at 3:44 PM, indyagent17 said:

I thought our DLine coach left, not our Linebackers coach, or was our DLine coach pulling double duties and doing both roles?