Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN: Colts with QB questions

EastStreet

This is really the first major service questioning things. Going to get tougher.

INDIANAPOLIS - Since drafting Peyton Manning in 1998 and then Andrew Luck in 2012, the Indianapolis Colts have had good fortune and good planning when it comes to the most important position on the field.

Even after the Colts surprisingly lost their franchise quarterback on Aug. 24 when Luck stunned the NFL world with his retirement, they still believed they were set.

General manager Chris Ballard, one of Jacoby Brissett’s biggest supporters since Ballard acquired him a week before the start of the regular season in 2017, showed his belief in the quarterback when he gave Brissett a two-year contract extension on Sept. 2.

But questions about Brissett’s ability to be a franchise quarterback have risen as the season has progressed, as each errant throw sailed over the head or behind intended targets.

Top quarterbacks don’t make those types of mistakes too often. A top quarterback isn’t 24th in the league in passing yards, 30th in passing yards a game or hovering near No. 20 in completion percentage and touchdown passes. Brissett is.

Brissett’s latest mishaps occurred Monday night in a 34-7 loss on national television against the New Orleans Saints. He finished 18-of-34 for 165 yards and no touchdowns, and several throws were impossible for the intended target to catch.

“We just were not in sync on offense,” Colts coach Frank Reich said. “Jacoby’s the quarterback, so he’s always going to be the center of attention. But trust me, there was enough to go around there for everybody.”

“I missed a couple of throws,” Brissett said. “I couldn’t get into a rhythm. It starts with me and playing better. It’s a trickle-down [effect].”

Brissett has regressed amid a four-game losing streak that eliminated the Colts from the playoff race. The passing game was a complementary piece to the running game when the Colts opened the season 5-2. Brissett threw for 1,590 yards and completed 64.5% of his pass attempts through the first eight weeks of the season. In the past six games, he's thrown for 1,071 yards and completed just 59.1% of his attempts.

Brissett missed about six quarters because of a knee injury suffered against Pittsburgh on Nov. 3. His completion percentage is 58.5 since he returned for the Nov. 17 game against Jacksonville, which was the last game the Colts won. Brissett said his knee injury hasn’t impacted his play. Reich said there hasn’t been any indication that Brissett’s knee is bothering him.

“I think there’s a lot of factors when it comes to quarterback play,” Reich said. “I have firsthand experience with that. I know the quarterback gets too much credit when things go well and know he gets too much blame when things don’t go well. That doesn’t mean he shouldn’t get a lot of praise and that doesn’t mean he’s not responsible for his own individual play and misplays, and Jacoby had a couple of those [against the Saints].”

Despite Brissett’s recent struggles, Reich reiterated that the Colts will stick with Brissett as their starter in the final two games of the season. He is signed through 2020, with a cap figure of $21 million next season but no dead-cap money, so the Colts could cut Brissett with no salary-cap penalty. But that’s unlikely as they still believe in his potential and want him to get as many snaps as possible.

“Jacoby is our quarterback,” Reich said. “We’re still fighting to get better. Jacoby is a second-year starter and he’s done a lot of good things this year. We have two games [remaining]. That’s really an opportunity for him to work to get better.”

Brissett has had to try to lead the offense without receivers T.Y. Hilton, Parris Campbell, Devin Funchess, tight end Eric Ebron and running back Marlon Mack for parts of the season while they were out with injuries.

But Reich isn’t giving Brissett a free pass based on injuries and a running game that hasn’t been as productive in the past couple of weeks. Brissett, 27, has shown potential, such as when he threw for 319 yards against Tennessee on Dec. 1 even though the Colts had just three healthy receivers by the end of the game.

“We got off to that hot start at 5-2 and everything was great,” Reich said. “Then we started losing a couple [games] and they started mounting up and I can feel his growth as a leader, as a person. Just handling the adversity of being the guy and having to take responsibility for that. I really sense that from him. The growth and maturity. He has the character to back that up. That’s not easy to do. He has the character and substance to him that he can handle it. It’s still a process going forward.”

https://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/25166/jacoby-brissetts-late-season-play-leaves-colts-with-qb-questions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Colts got off to a hot start. And then other teams had enough film on the offense and Brissett.

Once they figured out that all you need to do is crowd the LOS, focus on stopping the run first, and send blitzes, it was game over. We then had more trouble running the ball and passing the ball after.

• Like 3

The national conversation is going to catch up with the majority of us around here. It's just too glaring. People really want the guy to succeed for several reasons, but the stats and record are what they are. 4 wins in 17' and whatever happens to wrap up the season. Neither are good enough to stay this course. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The Fish said:

The national conversation is going to catch up with the majority of us around here. It's just too glaring. People really want the guy to succeed for several reasons, but the stats and record are what they are. 4 wins in 17' and whatever happens to wrap up the season. Neither are good enough to stay this course. 

Yup. Starts on boards, then smaller sites, and eventually on major services. Nobody likes to say bad stuff about a good guy, and it's simply slow moving. Once it hits though, it's becomes more acceptable conversation because the seal is broken.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

@EastStreet doesn't like JB?  Huh, I never heard that before.

It's a legit article, and important in the sense it's the first major service to question him nationally. Like I said weeks ago, it's going to get a lot tougher.

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

he posted a legit article. so what the hell are you babbling on about?

Doug probably saw this coming months, if not years ago. I'm sure he saw traits that were obvious to him, and him alone... His in-explainable and mysterious wisdom that is too complex for all of us to comprehend had this figured out a long time ago...  

• Like 2

Let's face it the reality is JB is not a good QB., not even close to average. It's a puzzle why the Colts are not even considering putting CK for evaluation purposes for the next two games rather than Reich saying to see where JB has a chance to improve. This is a JOKE, right? I don't even know if we have the right HC for this team.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

he posted a legit article. so what the hell are you babbling on about?

He posted an article of his choosing, then he littered it with personally overlayed bolds.  Both efforts to fit what he's babbling about in virtually every thread since week 3.

Its a classic debate tactic that is pretty transparent.  Pretty obvious.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He posted an article of his choosing, then he littered it with personally overlayed bolds, both efforts to fit what he's babbling about since week 3.

None of it was false however

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He posted an article of his choosing

you kill me dude lmao

choose any recent article you want about his performance, they are saying the same things because they watched the same thing.  he just hasnt been good since before he hurt his knee and was nothing special before that

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

None of it was false however

Neither is all of the other stuff that doesn't get posted or bolded.

We can move on from JB.  I don't care.  I have no opinion I'm heavily invested in.

What's curious is not sure why JB has become the the whpping boy for everything that is wrong with the team.  Its like chickens pecking the one sick one because that's what every other chicken is doing.

Maybe blaming JB for everything.....even TB scoring 31 point despite Winston's 3 picks....is simply easier than to entertain the notion that Ballard sucks.  LOL. 

The constant pecking must be comforting.

• Thanks 1

Didn’t realize both JB/Reich already said his knee isn’t bothering him/impacting his play.

Then again Vinny said he was healthy enough to play until he was shut down then basically said he should’ve had surgery in the offseason.

I still fully expect them to backtrack on JB’s knee and say it’s been hampering his performance. Try and ease fan’s opinions on him.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We can move on from JB.  I don't care.  I have no opinion I'm heavily invested in.

What's curious is not sure why JB has become the the whpping boy for everything that is wrong with the team.  Its like chickens pecking the one sick one because that's what every other chicken is doing.

Maybe blaming JB for everything.....even TB scoring 31 point despite Winston's 3 picks....is simply easier than to entertain the notion that Ballard sucks.  LOL. 

So posting the first mainstream service article on the biggest topic among fans is bad...

Yet you saying "I suspected" in a thread about Love based on your ninja senses is good... 

BTW, Tampa bay is the 3rd highest scoring team in the NFL, while Winston leads the league in INTs...... what happened was not a shocker, and is pretty consistent with their entire season.... perhaps you need to go back to ninja school.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Turftoe said:

Wasn't ESPN the network that broadcast the game 3 days ago?  I could swear there was effusive praise for Brissett - even declaring him a franchise QB.

The views expressed in this show do not necessarily represent the views of the station.

We reserve the right to cover all our bases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

He posted an article of his choosing, then he littered it with personally overlayed bolds.  Both efforts to fit what he's babbling about in virtually every thread since week 3.

Not sure what you mean by "he littered it with personally overplayed bolds."  ????

He cut and pasted the story and put the sections he thought were important into bold.   The bold part is NOT East Streets opinion,  it's the writers.    ES has just made it more noticeable.   Nothing wrong with that.     The bold is not ES opinion,  it's the writers.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

There should have never been this expectation of him being a franchise QB.

Agreed! 

Unfortunately, a picture was painted over time, that JB was better than advertised, and prior to the start of the 2019 season.

2 hours ago, Turftoe said:

Wasn't ESPN the network that broadcast the game 3 days ago?  I could swear there was effusive praise for Brissett - even declaring him a franchise QB.

ESPN has hundreds of on-air people.   The fact that one person called Brissett a "franchise quarterback" doesn't mean it's the official opinion of the entire network.    It's just the opinion of the one broadcaster,  MacFarland.      That's it.

Other reporters for ESPN might have a different opinion.   They're entitled.

If you don't like ESPN,  that's your opinion.   Others might think differently.

Just in case somewhere down the road you ever deny saying this.....    I just thought I'd post this to remind you.      Your constant denials are transparent and amusing, but they don't fool anyone.

• Like 2

Doug probably saw this coming months, if not years ago. I'm sure he saw traits that were obvious to him, and him alone... His in-explainable and mysterious wisdom that is too complex for all of us to comprehend had this figured out a long time ago.

You know you are talking about the renowned Nostradamus? He knew you were going to say this about him for years just by the way you post.:lol::lol:

I agree.  For some reason Ballard is seen as the 2nd coming by this board. Maybe because he is supposedly so transparent. Ballard has has many missteps from starting the season with Tolzien, the hiring of Daniels and the fact that a lot of his early picks r not amounting to much

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Easy.  He's the QB and he sucks.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Agreed! 

Unfortunately, a picture was painted over time, that JB was better than advertised, and prior to the start of the 2019 season.

I remember that not too long ago there was "talk" on this board about JB being worth as much as a 1st or 2nd round pick to some QB-hungry team. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Doug probably saw this coming months, if not years ago. I'm sure he saw traits that were obvious to him, and him alone... His in-explainable and mysterious wisdom that is too complex for all of us to comprehend had this figured out a long time ago.

You know you are talking about the renowned Nostradamus? He knew you were going to say this about him for years just by the way you post.:lol::lol:

I'm sure he had a sense I would! He knew you'd comment, and I would respond saying this.

tenor.gif

45 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

I remember that not too long ago there was "talk" on this board about JB being worth as much as a 1st or 2nd round pick to some QB-hungry team. 

That’s kinda what I was getting at.

It’s not Brissett’s fault, but he was way overhyped. And that is probably why there is so much backlash now. 

We’ve heard all the same things to many times. He played under Brady, Parcell’s loved him. He played well only knowing limited amount of playbook in 2017. There were reports (Not one credible) teams wanted to trade a 1st or 2nd for him. And Irsay and Ballard made some silly trade remarks too. 

Personally, I think a lot of that, sold folks in to believing Brissett was better than he really is.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

That’s kinda what I was getting at.

It’s not Brissett’s fault, but he was way overhyped. And that is probably why there is so much backlash now. 

We’ve heard all the same things to many times. He played under Brady, Parcell’s loved him. He played well only knowing limited amount of playbook in 2017. There were reports (Not one credible) teams wanted to trade a 1st or 2nd for him. And Irsay and Ballard made some silly trade remarks too. 

Personally, I think a lot of that, sold folks in to believing Brissett was better than he really is.

I think I am more upset at the organization for treating fans like they are *s.  All this nonsense was evident for anyone with half a brain.  Then the media gets involved and says that he is an MVP candidate after averaging 175 yards a game. 

So fans start to lash out at the nonsense as they recognize reality.  The tide is turning as the national media will start to turn on the current narrative.  Only Stephen Holder  and Pat McAfee will be left bailing water for Jacoby.

2 minutes ago, bhougland said:

I think I am more upset at the organization for treating fans like they are *s.  All this nonsense was evident for anyone with half a brain.  Then the media gets involved and says that he is an MVP candidate after averaging 175 yards a game. 

So fans start to lash out at the nonsense as they recognize reality.  The tide is turning as the national media will start to turn on the current narrative.  Only Stephen Holder  and Pat McAfee will be left bailing water for Jacoby.

I don't think the organization mislead any of us fans. I have heard Reich say JB is a top 20 QB, how is that misleading anyone? Top 20 means average at best. The media may have mislead some people saying JB was good or an MVP candidate but Ballard and Reich had nothing to do with that. I was never misled as a fan either, the best I had JB rated all year was at 15th = just above average when we were 5-2. I just think it is silly to solely blame JB for how this season is ending and being 6-8. Injuries to the WR core, poor SP Teams play, letting QB's complete 80% of their passes in the last 2 weeks has a lot to do with us losing too. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think the organization mislead any of us fans. I have heard Reich say JB is a top 20 QB, how is that misleading anyone? Top 20 means average at best. The media may have mislead some people saying JB was good or an MVP candidate but Ballard and Reich had nothing to do with that. I was never misled as a fan either, the best I had JB rated all year was at 15th = just above average when we were 5-2. I just think it is silly to solely blame JB for how this season is ending and being 6-8. Injuries to the WR core, poor SP Teams play, letting QB's complete 80% of their passes in the last 2 weeks has a lot to do with us losing too. 

Conversely though, many were weighing "wins" heavily when grading JB early, and IMO unfairly credited him when the team around him was playing better, and more responsible for the wins than JB. Now that the Ls are piling up, the same folks want to point elsewhere for the losses.

That's not very consistent lol.

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Conversely though, many were weighing "wins" heavily when grading JB early, and IMO unfairly credited him when the team around him was playing better, and more responsible for the wins than JB. Now that the Ls are piling up, the same folks want to point elsewhere for the losses.

That's not very consistent lol.

I do put weight on wins as you know but a lot of why I thought JB was above average is his TD to INT ratio too. Stats wise it was great through 7 games. Also a team usually plays good in most area's when they feel like they have a leader at QB they believe in. The turning point in the season was when JB got injured at Pitt (Hoyer came in) and Vinatieri missed the game winning FG. We win that game we go to 6-2. The cherry on top was the loss to Miami the next week, no JB and Hoyer played like Painter. Had we been 7-2, this season would've ended much differently. I am sure most feel the same way. The team would've been playing with motivation and confidence in these last few weeks, JMO's.

• Like 1